PDA

View Full Version : Disgaea: Hour of Darkness

Carl the Llama
12-05-2008, 02:46 AM
Ok so I am just about to play this game again and I intend to complete it, but what I want to know is what is the strongest trainable monster? I think I remember someone saying somthing about the flaming like monsters that you fight just before Marjoly are best? but cant seem to remember.

Vermachtnis
12-05-2008, 04:09 AM
I think you might be thinking of Surt. There's a pretty easy way to get one to LV9999. Personally I'd rather train people up myself. And out the monsters, I liked the Catgirls the best. No not for that reason, they hit hard and have one attack that hit from a distance.

Markus. D
12-05-2008, 05:05 AM
Succubis can totally steal health though o_o!

Behold the Void
12-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Succubis can totally steal health though o_o!

I prefer the succubi in Disgaea 2 that can unleash unholy darkness murder on people.

In Disgaea 1 especially, I never found using monsters to be all that interesting but I imagine the Surt is among the stronger of the monsters.

Nominus Experse
12-05-2008, 10:18 PM
I need to start playing this game again

Ultima Shadow
12-06-2008, 12:28 AM
I think you might be thinking of Surt. There's a pretty easy way to get one to LV9999. Personally I'd rather train people up myself. And out the monsters, I liked the Catgirls the best. No not for that reason, they hit hard and have one attack that hit from a distance.I like succubis the best.... for that very reason. ;) Ahhh, demon-girls! <3

Out of the monsters, I'd say the space-monsters who can walk like 2 squares are the overall "toughest", simply because... well, they won't go down. I mean... other than having insane defensive base-stats, they get 150% in def and res from all equipment. Equip them with some great defensive gear, and voila! Invincible tank! On top of that, their attacks are pretty decent as well.

...however. Like I said, they can only walk like 2 squares. And that's a huge disadvantage. You'll have to throw them around if you want them to get anywhere.

But in the end, humanoids can just get so much more powerful than monsters. No monster can really compare to an angel that has been transmigerated over and over so that it has learned all the good spells and has mastered all the special skills with swords or axes etc. And then there's an even more powerful humanoid who get 110% boost in all stats from equipment, has S-rank in all weapon types and the best base stats in the game etc. They are a hell to get though, so I personally just stick with the angels.:greenie:

CimminyCricket
12-06-2008, 06:05 AM
Yeah, Great Wyrms are definately the best monsters if you want to destroy some things. I would seriously stick with humanoids just because they're better.

I would like to let everyone know, I haven't stopped playing this game since it came out. I'm always playing some variation of it. PS2, PSP, DS and it's offspring. I. Love. This. Game.

Wolf Kanno
12-06-2008, 06:39 AM
I find the best use of the monster classes is to have good mages. Generally, the mages are flimsy and their stats are poor. Get a powerful mage made, transmigrate them into a monster and voila! Useful mage!!! Hell, some of the monsters have better magic stats than the humanoids. :p

Carl the Llama
12-06-2008, 08:37 AM
But in the end, humanoids can just get so much more powerful than monsters. No monster can really compare to an angel that has been transmigerated over and over so that it has learned all the good spells and has mastered all the special skills with swords or axes etc. And then there's an even more powerful humanoid who get 110% boost in all stats from equipment, has S-rank in all weapon types and the best base stats in the game etc. They are a hell to get though, so I personally just stick with the angels.:greenie:

Are you talking about the Majin humanoid? I have always wondered how good they really are.

Would you say the Majin is more powerful the Laharl?

Ultima Shadow
12-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Would you say the Majin is more powerful the Laharl?
Yes. A well-transmigerated, Genious Majin of the best sort is completely unmatched in basically EVERYTHING, be it magic or physical (the only exceptions are space-monsters being better in defense and Marines being equal with guns, but Majins outmatches them in all other stats). So yeah, they are even better than a Genious Laharl.

Though Laharl learns some exclusive useful abilities, I still find the sword-skills and axe-skills to be the overall most useful.

Oh, and I sooo hope they'll make Disgaea 2 for the PSP as well. :hyper:

Markus. D
12-06-2008, 02:50 PM
I prioritized Axes and Bows D:!

Carl the Llama
12-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Now im curious I seem to remember there was a satge where I had to throw someone across a very large gap (6 or 7 squares) and this needed to be done several times before I could get to the end but the only one I remember who could throw that far was Gordon, so who else can throw that far?

Behold the Void
12-06-2008, 08:29 PM
I find the best use of the monster classes is to have good mages. Generally, the mages are flimsy and their stats are poor. Get a powerful mage made, transmigrate them into a monster and voila! Useful mage!!! Hell, some of the monsters have better magic stats than the humanoids. :p

They don't get their staff bonuses that way though, do they?

Ultima Shadow
12-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Now im curious I seem to remember there was a satge where I had to throw someone across a very large gap (6 or 7 squares) and this needed to be done several times before I could get to the end but the only one I remember who could throw that far was Gordon, so who else can throw that far?
Thiefs, for some weird, unknown and completely illogical reason, can throw as far as Gordon.

And I agree with Void on the mage-thing. While some monsters may have higher stats than the mages, no monster-weapons offer the reach-bonus that staffs do, nor do they give you a really high intelligence boost like the staffs do.

Wolf Kanno
12-07-2008, 12:04 AM
I find it more useful to have my mages survive. Especially since building really powerful mages in the first game is a rather tedious affair imo. Despite taking a hit in damage and range, at least you don't have to completely worry about them getting destroyed by enemy combatants. Overall, I feel the mages are too specialized and rarely useful in the first title. I generally find it more useful to create mages as apprentices so I can teach their magic to more useful members of my party (Like Etna and Laharl). :D

Vermachtnis
12-07-2008, 12:09 AM
I find it more useful to have my mages survive. Especially since building really powerful mages in the first game is a rather tedious affair imo. Despite taking a hit in damage and range, at least you don't have to completely worry about them getting destroyed by enemy combatants. Overall, I feel the mages are too specialized and rarely useful in the first title. I generally find it more useful to create mages as apprentices so I can teach their magic to more useful members of my party (Like Etna and Laharl). :D

I think you meant Flonne :p Flonne makes the best mage.