PDA

View Full Version : NO! I don't wanna die in this cave!

hhr1dluv
12-05-2008, 11:23 PM
So, Wolf (I think it was him), made a topic about Final Fantasy traditions, which I took to mean things that you look forward to in each FF installment. It got me to wondering about the things that people dislike doing in each FF. You know, those things that, right before doing them, make you groan in dismay.

For me, I get a little apprehensive before entering any caves. A dungeon crawler I am not. I also hate grinding pretty much (although not as much as I used to), and I usually get pretty nervous before facing tough bosses. As you might be able to tell, I'm a total mess in end game dungeons. :D

Roogle
12-05-2008, 11:34 PM
I dislike the part of any Final Fantasy game that takes before the final dungeon because the game grows increasingly non-linear. The sidequests typically take the game in a direction that, I as, the player, do not want to go. Do I skip it even if the gameplay incentives are valid?

scrumpleberry
12-05-2008, 11:39 PM
I hate big dungeons. I get really bored, even if the game isn't grindy. Even on stuff like Zelda! So for FF I just speed up the game (if it's an emulator), hold the A button, and keep on walking. I've killed myself on midbosses a few times through that sort of laziness x) I sort of get into a GET ON WITH IT trance.

Before starting any game with job classes. I cannot live until I've maxed them all out. It was okay with X-2, because I gave each girl a third of the spheres x) I guess they just had more distinct personalities and sometimes the costumes looked AWESOME or completely crap, sooo that helped...

Exdeath
12-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Paladin's Shield.
I also hate being deprived of a save point after a boss or at least 5 level ups.

Saber
12-06-2008, 12:45 AM
I hate bad breath.

Crimson
12-06-2008, 01:48 AM
When playing through a seemingly normal area and then all of a sudden your up against a boss that has the kind of stats you shouldnt see for another 2 discs and effectively kicks your ass. (hint hint the two headed thing in FFVII Ice Cave)

Wolf Kanno
12-06-2008, 06:09 AM
So, Wolf (I think it was him), made a topic about Final Fantasy traditions, which I took to mean things that you look forward to in each FF installment. It got me to wondering about the things that people dislike doing in each FF. You know, those things that, right before doing them, make you groan is dismay.

Hee hee, it was a fun little thread. :D

Anyway... onto topic. There is not much I really dislike in FFs. Usually in multiple playthroughs do I start to have parts I don't particulary look forward to. For instance, The Lodestone Cavern (Dark Elf Dungeon) from FFIV is still the only dungeon I cringe thinking about and considering the DS version made it harder by making Cecil unable to equip Bows didin't help...

Despite that, it did dawn on me there is one thing I always do not look forward to that became a tradition in the series back in VII and was pretty faithful (not counting XI) until XII came along and shot it in the foot. That is to say, the moment when the main heroine goes off and does something incredibly stupid and forces your party to risk life and limb for someone I probably don't even use in my party. :rolleyes2

Aerith and Tifa did it in VII (Though Aerith had the decency to pay for her stupidity), Rinoa and Dagger did it quite a few times in their games. Yuna was a pain in the ass. Sure this phenomena happens in early titles as well but not to the exasperating extent the later titles did it. Luckily, XIII doesn't seem to be going down that same route either or at least might mix it up a bit by having one of the guys do it instead. :)

I would also mention that I have a hard time getting into games until I get a little more freedom to do as I please. I'm not very fond of totalitarian linear gameplay.

blackmage_nuke
12-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Dungeons with forks in them where it is not clearly obvious where the main path is. I like to visit all the side paths and collect all the treasures and its a pain to backtrack in a monster infested area, particularly when one of the paths is not the right way yet it goes on for a while causing me to assume it is the correct path and I backtrack only to discover it was the wrong path and I have to backtrack again.

.:kerrod:.
12-06-2008, 01:35 PM
ugh, yeah, i agree with the backtracking thing blackmage_nuke, and i also hate vast expanses...which can include deserts, caves or giant ice fields...i get so sick of trudging around not knowing which direction to go in, especially when there's no savepoint for (virtual) miles and miles in any direction

Jiro
12-06-2008, 03:20 PM
ugh, yeah, i agree with the backtracking thing blackmage_nuke, and i also hate vast expanses...which can include deserts, caves or giant ice fields...i get so sick of trudging around not knowing which direction to go in, especially when there's no savepoint for (virtual) miles and miles in any direction

This makes you (and me, as I agree) sound very picky. We hate caves AND open areas xD

But yeah, I hate when you suddenly advance the story or cut off a part of a cavern or something because you didn't know that was the right way to go.

champagne supernova
12-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Despite that, it did dawn on me there is one thing I always do not look forward to that became a tradition in the series back in VII and was pretty faithful (not counting XI) until XII came along and shot it in the foot. That is to say, the moment when the main heroine goes off and does something incredibly stupid and forces your party to risk life and limb for someone I probably don't even use in my party. :rolleyes2

You have to go rescue Penelo in XII, risking life and limb...

Things I dislike:
Grinding
Having to walk from one side of the World to another (*cough* Final Fantasy XII, twice *cough*
Pointless characters that add very little, if anything to the story (Penelo is particularly bad, although Kimahri & Rikku added very little as well).

Wolf Kanno
12-06-2008, 11:44 PM

You have to go rescue Penelo in XII, risking life and limb...

She is neither a main female character nor did she do anything particulary stupid to get captured. She was grabbed as bait, its not like she came to rescue you or made some nefarious deal with bad guys. Besides, being Larsa's captive looks like a sweet deal to me. ;)

She's not like Yuna who decided to face Seymour alone; or Dagger, who decided to face Queen Brahne alone; Rinoa, who constantly needs to be in the thick of things only to show she can't handle it and Squall has to save her; or Aerith, who decided summoning Holy by herself was smart...

Even Lady Ashe had the decency of being captured with the rest of your party. Its not her fault she was taken somewhere else. :p

black orb
12-06-2008, 11:49 PM
>>> I never liked random battles, but now this isnt a problem anymore..:)

Saber
12-07-2008, 04:03 AM
I also hate it when the game freezes up and you gotta buy a new disk. Ouch.

Jessweeee♪
12-07-2008, 04:25 AM
I didn't really like random battles either, tbh. I loved the games anyway, though xDDD

champagne supernova
12-07-2008, 11:11 AM
I also hate it when the game freezes up and you gotta buy a new disk. Ouch.

Or when you can't play it on your PS3, because of the region it's from (I'm looking at you FFVIII).

DarkLadyNyara
12-08-2008, 02:42 AM
Random encounters. I friggin' hate random encounters. Also, not having the ability to save before a boss fight at the end of an insanely long dungeon. (FFIII, I'm looking at you. You too, Zodiark.)

the moment when the main heroine goes off and does something incredibly stupid and forces your party to risk life and limb for someone I probably don't even use in my party. :rolleyes2

This. Definitely this. Friggin' Rinoa... :mad:

12-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Yeah, I'll back up the people who mentioned not knowing which direction to go in a dungeon. I hate the thought that I'm missing treasure like some powerful weapon, but on my first playthrough I have no way of knowing if I'm headed toward the treasure or the boss. Worse is when you accidentally find the boss at the end of one fork and the cave collapses or whatever when you beat him so you don't know what you missed unless you reset it and do the entire dungeon again. So you do reset it and do the entire dungeon again because you have a problem and, seriously dude, you should see a professional about that. Then you explore the other fork only to find a potion or a dead end (I'm not sure which is more insulting).

The good news is I only play with emulators these days. Savestates make me happy. I also don't consider it cheating if you do it to fix flaws in a game so that the game is more fun, nor do I care if I am cheating. So, all is cool.

DarkLadyNyara
12-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Yeah, I'll back up the people who mentioned not knowing which direction to go in a dungeon. I hate the thought that I'm missing treasure like some powerful weapon, but on my first playthrough I have no way of knowing if I'm headed toward the treasure or the boss. Worse is when you accidentally find the boss at the end of one fork and the cave collapses or whatever when you beat him so you don't know what you missed unless you reset it and do the entire dungeon again. So you do reset it and do the entire dungeon again because you have a problem and, seriously dude, you should see a professional about that. Then you explore the other fork only to find a potion or a dead end (I'm not sure which is more insulting).

Oh, yeah. I've had that happen. It drives me up the walls in all of the games. But the worst is in FFIII, where you CAN'T SAVE! :mad: