PDA

View Full Version : language language language

Moon Rabbits
12-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Hey bitches!

I'm curious to know how many different languages are represented in EoFF. Personally, I'm only fluent in English. I can read and translate written Latin pretty well, and I can sort of speak it, but when it comes to translating spoken Latin then I'm screwed. I know some (very) basic French grammar, but I've noticed that learning Latin has really helped me decipher French even without knowing much of the vocabulary.

Also post languages you would like to learn!~
I would really like to know Arabic, Tamil, and Swahili. I like the way the Korean alphabet looks, too.

Momiji
12-06-2008, 07:05 PM
I know enough Spanish to read and understand it, but not enough to make very fluent sentences. I also know a tiny bit of Japanese, but nowhere near as much as some of the more dedicated learners here. :D

Moon Rabbits
12-06-2008, 07:10 PM
I know enough Spanish to read and understand it, but not enough to make very fluent sentences. I also know a tiny bit of Japanese, but nowhere near as much as some of the more dedicated learners here. :D

I know Katakana and Hiragana and how to conjugate the verb for "to be," as well as the uses of the particles "wa" "ga" and "mo." Yeah ... I only got to Lesson 3 of Tae Kim's grammar guide. (http://www.guidetojapanese.org/index.html#contents)

Japanese was one of the languages I was really interested in learning for awhile, but I've sort of gravitated away from it in favor of a lot of African and central Asian languages.

Ouch!
12-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Fluent in English. I can speak a smattering of German, although that's going to the wayside due to disuse. I can read Old English fairly well if I'm provided a dictionary.

scrumpleberry
12-06-2008, 07:30 PM
English, basic French, can translate basic Latin and Ancient Greek. Italian WANT.

Zeldy
12-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Fluent in English and the most basic French (which I doubt I could even remember).

I Don't Need A Name
12-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Fluent in English and the most basic French (which I doubt I could even remember).

Araciel
12-06-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm fluent in javascript as well as Klingon.

LunarWeaver
12-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Just English :greenie: And Araciel's body language from all the binocular time.

Madame Adequate
12-06-2008, 08:36 PM
English, and I can speak and read Estonian but cannot write it.

Cleric
12-06-2008, 08:49 PM
I speak Spanish and English although my Spanish is diminishing almost daily since I moved...=(

Montoya
12-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Fluent in both English and Spanish. Was building my way up to become fluent in German but then I simply forgot everything.

Wish I knew how to speak Latin and German.

Krelian
12-06-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm fluent in German and kind of fluent in English.
Languages I'm learning: Chinese, Indonesian, Thai.
Languages I'd like to learn: Arabic, Japanese.

Languages I once learned, but forgot: French =P

Aerith's Knight
12-06-2008, 09:08 PM
I can speak English, Dutch and German fluently, but I can only read french. I forgot the rest.

Caraliz
12-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Completely fluent in Polish, took 4 years of Spanish but I remember jack http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif, and obviously English.

Fun fact: Polish was my first language but I suck more at it now because I hardly use it anymore, especially now that I've moved out.

I would love to learn Latin. It sounds beautiful. It sucks that it's a dead language. I suppose French might be on that list, maybe because I regret taking Spanish instead of it. Or Mandarin.

Gwawr
12-06-2008, 09:30 PM
I am of course fluent in Welsh, my first language. I'm also fluent in English due to being under the age of 80. ;)

I can speak basic French and even more basic German, but my Latin is very good.

Tavrobel
12-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Fluent in English, Vietnamese, and Java. Passable grades in Spanish. I might be able to tell you certain roots in Quenya and Sindarin, but not reliably.

I can curse in about 18 of them, though.

Araciel
12-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Just English :greenie: And Araciel's body language from all the binocular time.

I thought that was a UFO out my window.

Quindiana Jones
12-06-2008, 10:50 PM
I can speak two languages fluently: English and Quin.

I can manage in French. Gimme a week or two and I'd get back into the German rhythm again and manage in that too.

Rantz
12-06-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm fluent in Swedish and English, and I can stumble my way through some basic French. I haven't studied Spanish, but it's not much harder to understand than French is.

I'd like to learn a lot of languages. Spanish and Japanese might be the most useful for me, though, not to mention they're both very aesthetically pleasing languages.

rubah
12-06-2008, 11:25 PM
what is everyone's measures for being fluent in a language?

I'm only fluent in english, but if you give me long enough, i can read french

Aerith's Knight
12-06-2008, 11:41 PM
what is everyone's measures for being fluent in a language?

I'm only fluent in english, but if you give me long enough, i can read french

I can speak, write, read and understand English, Dutch and German without needing time to think about it, so I assume I'm fluent in them.

Seeing as I can read in French, but only bits of the others, I do not include it.

Rantz
12-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Not sure, but I think I'd consider myself fluent in a language when I can carry out a decently advanced conversation about most any subject without having any major trouble getting my point through or understanding what the other person is saying.

Gwawr
12-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Well, I think in Welsh usually, but when I'm speaking English I think in English.

As for my fluency in English - you be the judge. ;)

black orb
12-07-2008, 12:01 AM
>>> I speak spanish, all the bad english i know is thanks to this place..

Frequency NecroKat
12-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Fluent in English. :D I know some Spanish (my grandfather immigrated from Zaragoza, Spain in the 60's), and I'm learning Russian at the moment.

Levian
12-07-2008, 03:21 AM
English & Norwegian fluently, and I'm trying to forget the basic German I know.

I can understand the other scandinavian languages but I wouldn't speak them unless I was really drunk or talking to myself in the mirror with my eyes closed pretending to be felt up by a foreign beauty.

Kirobaito
12-07-2008, 03:28 AM
Fluent in English, I think. I can read, write, and speak Spanish, but can't really understand it unless the person speaks slowly. I also know about 10 words in Scots Gaelic.

Quindiana Jones
12-07-2008, 05:04 PM
English & Norwegian fluently, and I'm trying to forget the basic German I know.

I can understand the other scandinavian languages but I wouldn't speak them unless I was really drunk or talking to myself in the mirror with my eyes closed pretending to be felt up by a foreign beauty.

It's not everyday you get to read posts like this.

Balzac
12-07-2008, 05:31 PM
English and very basic Irish Gaelic.

Fate Fatale
12-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Fluent in English and can read and almost fluent in German.

James Leopold
12-07-2008, 05:53 PM
English and a bit of Welsh (even though I hated learning it in school). I knew some French too at one point.

Languages I'd like to learn: Mandarin (Because I think it'll be important in the upcoming years). German (because it's awesome). Russian (Because it sounds very interesting).

I'm also in love with Latin, but I know I wouldn't be able to learn it. I think it's the greatest sounding language that was ever constructed.

scrumpleberry
12-07-2008, 05:55 PM
You would. Latin is freaking easy - the simplicity and perfection of it is the beauty of the language. Anyone can pick it up with a little help.

Rocket Edge
12-07-2008, 05:58 PM
English and some Irish Gaelic.

Krelian
12-07-2008, 06:19 PM
I always thought no one was entirely certain how Latin is supposed to be pronounced, being a dead language and all. Are you guys who think it sounds nice taking the most likely version as a basis?

scrumpleberry
12-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Personally I don't think it's that nice spoken. But the most likely version is pretty likely seeing as how historians have been working on it for centuries.

animepeachflower
12-07-2008, 08:19 PM
i am fluent in english and gujrati(indian language) i am taking italian in school and i know some words in japanese but i want to be fluent in japanese. ^o^

Shlup
12-07-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm only fluent in English but I can converse reasonably in American Sign Language.

Rye
12-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm only fluent in English. =[

I can read and write in hiragana almost perfectly now though and I know a little bit of katakana. I can speak very very elementary Japanese.

smittenkitten
12-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Obviously I speak Scottish I use to be able to speak fluent Gaelic but I lost it now. My sister still can speak Scottish Gaelic. I can also speak some French and know a tiny bit of Spanish. :) I would like to learn Japanese like my brother and learn more French.

Bunny
12-07-2008, 10:26 PM
I am fluent in English.

I can understand basic Spanish, French and German. I can also speak, to a lesser degree, the aforementioned languages. I can write elementary Spanish as well.

I used to be able to speak Spanish more fluently and write in Arabic, but have since lost the ability to do both. I also had a better grasp on French and German a few years back.

Ideally, I would like to be fluent in French, German, Latin, Chinese, Arabic and Russian.

Moon Rabbits
12-09-2008, 04:26 AM
Latin is freaking easy - the simplicity and perfection of it is the beauty of the language. Anyone can pick it up with a little help.

I don't know what the hell you're on about because Latin is far from easy. There are so many nuances and tiny little things you have to watch out for, and so much memorization, not to mention the endless list of grammatical concepts (ablative absolute, jussive case, subjunctive moods, indirect commands / statements and other ut/ne clauses, participles, infinitives, gerundives ... )

Personally I don't think it's that nice spoken. But the most likely version is pretty likely seeing as how historians have been working on it for centuries.

I don't like how it sounds spoken either. Actually, to me, some of it sounds really silly and infantile (especially the imperfect tense, and the future tense for the first and second conjugations ... something about "bo" and "bis" and the like).

Jiro
12-09-2008, 04:41 AM
I'm only fluent in English. =[

I can read and write in hiragana almost perfectly now though and I know a little bit of katakana. I can speak very very elementary Japanese.

My standard of Japanese is probably 2-3 weeks in front of Rye's, but it's decaying due to disuse. I will take it up again once I start uni full time though.

Peegee
12-09-2008, 10:02 AM
I can read/speak/understand English very well. I can only understand Cantonese very well, and speak it as well as you can expect a 4 year old to. Maybe worse.

Have fun with that.

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-09-2008, 11:49 AM
English is my first language.

La langue française est ma deuxième. Ma compréhension est prèsque parfait mais des fois j'ai difficulté de m'exprime en français.

日本語がちょっと分かる。僕は日本語を二年に始め勉強するのに時々むずかしくなるよ。

(Feel free to tell me if my Japanese sounded a bit weird. :/)

Breine
12-09-2008, 12:47 PM
I speak Danish and English fluently, and German pretty fluently I guess. Know a tiny bit of Spanish as well.

qwertysaur
12-09-2008, 03:28 PM
I know English fluently, and I can manage myself in Spanish enough to live in any Spanish Speaking Country.

I'm also able to read Hebrew, but can't speak or understand it.

scrumpleberry
12-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Latin is freaking easy - the simplicity and perfection of it is the beauty of the language. Anyone can pick it up with a little help.

I don't know what the hell you're on about because Latin is far from easy. There are so many nuances and tiny little things you have to watch out for, and so much memorization, not to mention the endless list of grammatical concepts (ablative absolute, jussive case, subjunctive moods, indirect commands / statements and other ut/ne clauses, participles, infinitives, gerundives ... )

I don't like how it sounds spoken either. Actually, to me, some of it sounds really silly and infantile (especially the imperfect tense, and the future tense for the first and second conjugations ... something about "bo" and "bis" and the like).

The thing is, most of the constructs you're referring to are things that you just have to understand. There's no need to identify or reproduce them most of the time. If you have a natural feel for the language, you don't have to think about it unless you run across something that really stumps you. Maybe then you need to think about constructs and subjuncitves. But more often than not, you just need to identify the verb endings, then the cases of any nouns, and then the bloody pronouns (HAET). I don't think it's difficult at all. What I was getting at is more that it makes sense more than most other languages though - it's the closest to perfect, which means that it's the easiest to understand.

Yup. The words themselves aren't particularly elegant...