PDA

View Full Version : Spreading Holiday Joy

Miriel
12-06-2008, 09:46 PM
So I've been mulling around with the idea of doing something extra nice for the Holidays. More than just giving a few donations here and there.

Was thinking about getting something together for the local Children's hospital, or having my church set up a "Christmas dinner" sort of thing for the homeless. Lots of ideas bouncing around my head, but all I know is that I want to do something for the less fortunate during this holiday season.

Do you ever do something special in terms of charity for the Holidays? I'm looking for ideas, happy stories, maybe even some motivation for the EoFF populace to go out of their way to do something extra nice in the spirit of Christmas.

Del Murder
12-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Can't go wrong with helping kids at Christmas I'd say.

Gwawr
12-06-2008, 10:23 PM
There's a school for special needs down the road from me, and every year I organise some of the older students that I teach to sing/play some Christmas carols in their Christmas assembly. My students get a lot out of it (and generally are moved to tears) and the children of the school we visit hopefully enjoy it. It's a really moving experience.

Quindiana Jones
12-06-2008, 10:51 PM
I'd like to spread Joy too.

:bigbiggri

Blue Harvest
12-06-2008, 10:55 PM
I was waiting for someone to say something like that. Shoulda guessed it'd be Harle :tongue:

Quindiana Jones
12-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Had to be done, I'm afraid.

Frequency NecroKat
12-06-2008, 11:46 PM
^^^ Yes it did. It was just waiting for it.

Me and my sister always buy gifts for teenagers living in adoption homes. :)

Shlup
12-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Bring a new, unwrapped toy to Six Flags and get in for free. That's charitable, dammit!

I just donate to toy drives. Kids need frivolous things for Christmas! Screw food and shelter!

Bunny
12-08-2008, 12:42 AM
I've been wanting to donate to Child's Play for awhile but I haven't because I don't really have the money to spend frivolously like that and all of my money goes towards rent, gas and food.

Aerith's Knight
12-08-2008, 12:55 AM
I usually just buy a christmas present for the Thai girl Im sponsering for school, clothes and food and such.

She usually uses that money to buy food and clothes for the other kids, which makes me proud. ^__^

SammieBabe
12-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Theres a program here which you can buy presents for foster kids. I've been doing it for years and I like doing it. No matter how broke I am, I can always manage to spend $20 for a kid who probably wont get anything..

Rantz
12-08-2008, 10:09 AM
I don't really do charity because I'm heartless.

Clouded Sky
12-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Between law school and Neskaya (oh, ok, and quin) isn't Joy already spread too thin?

Garnie
12-08-2008, 11:15 AM
i usually buy cigarettes for underage teenagers....well i don't do it any other time of year, but its Christmas!!

in all seriousness, i give to charity but i haven't actually been in a position to help this yearn or last. I did however help out my local church years ago when i was 14

Jiro
12-09-2008, 12:22 AM
I buy (well, my mother does for me) Christmas presents and put them under the "K-Mart Wishing Tree". It's basically giving K-Mart a present to give to the poor, needy or homeless children for Christmas. A good idea I think :)