PDA

View Full Version : Level-5 (DQ8, WKC) to offer themselves to Sony?

Gilghamut
12-08-2008, 07:14 PM
This is pretty big. Word on the net is that Level-5 will offer themselves to Sony is White Knight Chronicles is a commercial success. I can't begin to imagine what Level-5 could do with the backing of Sony.

N4G.com : Level 5 will work exclusively for Sony if White Knight is a success? (http://www.n4g.com/gaming/News-243109.aspx) (source 1)

The VG Tilt: Level 5 offers them "SALES" up for Sony?? (http://www.vgtilt.com/2008/11/level-5-offers-them-sales-up-for-sony.html) (Source 2)

The EpicNet (http://theepicnet.com/wordpress/?p=43) (Source 3)

Depression Moon
12-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Hmm, well I would think it would be fine for Level 5 to work exclusively for sony they do need a bit more RPGs for their platform, but I also think that Level 5 has also made some port games on the DS so they could continue their, but we really don't need any more DQ remakes anyhow.

Gilghamut
12-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Level-5 doesn't own the rights to the Dragon Quest series, that's owned by Enix, of Square-Enix.

Sony doesn't really have a first-party RPG developer, this could be a solution to that little problem.

Depression Moon
12-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah I know that Square's the publisher, I just thought that they were the ones workingon them since VIII.

Dreddz
12-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Level-5 are always strongest when they have a publisher on their side. Whether its Square Enix or Sony, whenever a large budget is handed to them they seem to know how to spend the money well. So becoming a first party developer for Sony seems like a great idea. Sony needs a few more RPG developers under their wing and Level-5 knows how to make a good RPG.

I am however skeptical about White Knight Chronicles. It seems like they tried to cash-in on the Monster Hunter success and turn the game into an online scavenger hunt. I hope the meat of the game is still in the single player and not on the online co-op.

Levian
12-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Maybe they'll make Dark Cloud 3. :)

Dreddz
12-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Maybe they'll make Dark Cloud 3. :)

They are probably going to make Dark Cloud 3 after WKC regardless of how this turns out. I can't wait.

Vyk
12-08-2008, 10:07 PM
How is this news? They've been pretty exclusive to Sony anyway. This seems sorta natural

Dreddz
12-08-2008, 10:12 PM
How is this news? They've been pretty exclusive to Sony anyway. This seems sorta natural

Well its news because it would mean they would have to drop support for the DS (after the ones in development are already finished). You are right about them being pretty much a first party developer for Sony anyway. So them being acquired wouldn't change much.

Here's hoping they do get acquired and are still allowed the rights to make DQX on the PS3. Where DQIX should of gone to begin with.

Ryth
12-08-2008, 10:34 PM
This would be a great thing for Level-5... but I don't want to buy a PS3. ):

Bolivar
12-09-2008, 06:47 PM
This is big. First we have to consider if WKC could in fact be a success. You have to take into account some huge sony exclusives (resistance 2, LBP, Motorstorm: PR) while being very good games, groundbreaking in LBP and R2's(multiplayer alone) case, have yet to sell over a million. You could argue the install base, but a) MGS4 pushed about 4 mil worldwide and b) there's been so many good games this year, exclusive and not, on the ps3 especially, that gamers could not buy all of them. I think it's possible, but i see it as a worldwide thing, this could definately be the next stage in PS3 becoming Japan's console.

As far as my opinion, I think it would be an amazing thing for all parties involved, especially the fans. I have yet to really form an opinion on WKC, maybe if the reviews come in good I'll look more into it. But most importantly I think the biggest possibility is Dragon Quest X being on the PS3.

I agree with Dreddz, that's where IX should have been in the first place. It's amazing that Level 5 took up the DQ mantle on the newer releases, but moreso just how damn impressive a job they did on VIII. If they can retain it, I think Sony should definately hand Yuji Horii the money to make it a PS3 exclusive. I think that'd be one of the greatest games of all time. I apologize for those who do not like DQ.

JKTrix
12-09-2008, 08:51 PM
I hope they don't, tbh. If only because their DS support has been amazing (though only one of their games has come out in English). I'd rather them be more like Mistwalker, where they get support from Microsoft for exclusive titles and whatnot, but are still free to do their own thing.

Level 5 is not such a small company that they *need* to be 'bought' by anyone. I mean... they're spending nearly $870k to rent a stadium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level-5_stadium) for 3 years.

Though I agree, they would definitely be an incredibly valuable addition to Sony. I'd say they're one of the most valuable independent developers in the entire industry right now. Besides having control over the most powerful game franchise in Japan right now, they also managed to get Studio Ghibli to work on a game with them (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn6SR72fVNM&fmt=18). Looks like they're becoming the 'Studio Ghibli of the game industry', like they wanted to (http://ds.ign.com/articles/852/852547p1.html).

**Late Edit: DQ10 was just announced for Wii, Level 5's involvement hasn't been confirmed or denied. I think once we find out whether or not L5 is doing 10, then we'll have a better idea if this rumour is true.

Dreddz
12-10-2008, 01:26 PM
**Late Edit: DQ10 was just announced for Wii, Level 5's involvement hasn't been confirmed or denied. I think once we find out whether or not L5 is doing 10, then we'll have a better idea if this rumour is true.

I was just about to post that. Business wise it makes perfect sense for Square Enix to put DQX on the Wii so I can't fault them too much. But I think most can agree that putting DQX on the Wii isn't exactly the most thrilling news. Not saying DQX will suck its just that there is a lack of quality epic RPG's on the HD systems and Square could easily change that if they wanted to.

Seeing as DQX is not going to be released for quite a while I'm sure Level-5 hasn't been set as the developers for the title.

Bolivar
12-10-2008, 08:37 PM
^ Yeah, it's sad news. I mean, I'm all for DQIX being on the DS and I'll be buying it on day1 in the states for sure, but...

I can't help but daydream about what could have been... Especially with all the innovations in multi-layer blu ray going on now... it could have been a big, big, truly epic game.

Nifleheim7
01-03-2009, 04:15 AM
White Knight Chronicles sells 132.000 copies at opening day (http://ps3.consolenewsblog.com/3634-first-day-sales-white-knight-chronicles-sold-132000-copies/)

Its rumoured that so far (1 week) it has sold more than 215.000 copies...I think its a very solid opening and i hope it has the same success when it comes out in the west.
I would like to see Level-5 becoming 100% first party for Sony because i think both companies will benefit.Level-5 will help tremendously Sony's image in Japan and maybe it will encourage more Japanese developers to release more RPGs for the PS3.Also,if they become first party i'm sure Sony will provide them much more support in their development process which will help boosting the quality of their titles.

Old Manus
01-03-2009, 11:39 AM
I get the image of Level 5 employees sacrificing themselves on stone tables

Nifleheim7
01-03-2009, 07:07 PM
I get the image of Level 5 employees sacrificing themselves on stone tables

Haha,it also crossed my mind when i first read the title...:D

Dreddz
01-03-2009, 08:42 PM
This is great news. If I'm not mistaken thats the strongest opening for an RPG in Japan that is on the HD systems. I personally think the online co-op reeled in the Monster Hunter fanbase to WKC.

Hopefully this can get through Square and Namco's thick skulls that releasing their RPG's exclusively on the 360 is simply bad business.. Tales of Vesperia scored higher in famitsu and has a huge fanbase and has only sold maybe 200,000 since release. While even a new IP on the PS3 manages to outsell it in its first week. Says a lot about Japan and their attitude towards Microsoft.

Nifleheim7
01-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Tales of Vesperia scored higher in famitsu and has a huge fanbase and has only sold maybe 200,000 since release.

I think its really strange that Famitsu scored WKC a 28/40 but their only real criticism was its online mode and more specifically that it doesn't have a live chat mode.I think 28/40 was a bit too harsh...but i'll reserve my judgement until i actually play the game.

Also good point about the Monster Hunter fanbase...but still,if you compare the sales of the 2 games,WKC still has a long way to go even considering the much smaller PS3 install base.:(

Bolivar
01-07-2009, 09:37 PM
215k is very good for a PS3 release in Japan, I really hope they push it in NA. It would be a really great partnership, this company could be in their prime right about now, and if it does happen, and sony pushes them towards ps3 as opposed to psp, this could be a renaissance of JRPGs. Sorry for the overenthusiasm..,.

Just watched a gameplay video and I think I'm sold now.

Nifleheim7
01-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Akihiro Hino Interview (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44055.html)