PDA

View Full Version : New Prince of Persia

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-12-2008, 03:55 AM
So I bought the new Prince of Persia game today. :D Been playing a bit of it. Seems kinda repetitive but nonetheless fun. I really like the Prince's and Elika's interactions. She's got a good personality and he's always saying something contrary, lol. It mostly focuses on the acrobatics and not the fighting but I like the combos and such. Have a few trophies for it. Not too many yet.

Anyways, what do you guys think of it?

Rocket Edge
12-12-2008, 04:00 AM
Side-question: If I haven't played Prince of Persia before, do I need to catch up before I pick up the PS3 version?

12-12-2008, 04:09 AM
I hadn't either. The games are unrelated. It is set in what would be the Prince of Persia universe, in other words based off of 1001 Nights. So no, you do not need to play the other games to understand this one.

Frequency NecroKat
12-12-2008, 04:18 AM
Another question: Did they -finally- move away from "darker, edgier, emo prince of dark emo-ness and lack of proper grooming"? If It's more the feel of the original PoP games (the computer games and SoT), I'd pick it up in half a heartbeat. :3

12-12-2008, 04:22 AM
Never played the Sand of Times series, but according to what I have read, yeah they moved away from that. In some ways in both overall theme and artistic style, it reminds me of Okami. The art style is "illustrative", they try to make it look very much like the concept art. Moreover, the theme of the game is that of healing the world. So you go from dark corrupted areas, to healed areas that are bright and colourful.

Frequency NecroKat
12-12-2008, 04:49 AM
Oh, very good! SoT was much different than it's sequels. It was definitely more 1001 Night's feel and felt like much more of an adventure despite it only taking place in one location. The sequels were so drastically different; dark, moody, and full of heavy metal.

Thanks! I guess it's going on my game list then. I've heard a lot about Okami (any game that stays that expensive for 2-3 years must be good) and that seems like a good reminder to have. :) *trots off to add it to her list*

Dreddz
12-12-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm still undecided whether Ill pick this game up. I disliked the Sands of Time trilogy but I'm a sucker for cel-shaded graphics and this game simply looks beautiful. Plus the Freddy Kruger hand the main character has is awesome.

Although this is what got me to lay down the cash for Okami and I generally disliked that game so I'm definitely cautious about picking POP up.

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Having watched it be played, the game is really stylish and fun-looking and the scripting is superb. My roommate likes it a lot and he's pretty picky since he's a game designer himself.

Tasura
12-13-2008, 05:21 AM
From all this praise it's getting, I can see my friend is an idiot O_o.

He bought it, and returned it within 2 hours. Apparently he doesn't know the back of the case shows what it looks like, and gives a brief run down of the game.

Yar
12-13-2008, 05:33 AM
Please tell me the song in the commercial. I don't plan on buying the game (I don't have any of those consoles) but I like that song.

LunarWeaver
12-13-2008, 05:48 AM
I want this game hardcore. When my console is fixed and I beat Dead Space, this is next on my Gamefly GameQ. Can't wait for it~

Though I read Elika resurrects you any time you die on the spot. Isn't that a little too forgiving? I mean, maybe she should only ressie you once every 15 minutes or...something.

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-13-2008, 06:07 AM
I want this game hardcore. When my console is fixed and I beat Dead Space, this is next on my Gamefly GameQ. Can't wait for it~

Though I read Elika resurrects you any time you die on the spot. Isn't that a little too forgiving? I mean, maybe she should only ressie you once every 15 minutes or...something.

She doesn't resurrect you, she just prevents you from dying in the first place. Really, it's perfectly fine. It's the exact same as if you actually had died, but instead of making you reload it just keeps you in the action without breaking the game's flow.

LunarWeaver
12-13-2008, 06:15 AM
The logic behind it makes sense, but I can't help but feel there's no thrill in it. There needs to be some kind of temporary consequence in the place of a Game Over screen. I dunno, take away a combat move or something. Fable II did the immortal thing as well. I couldn't help but feel an empty experience.

It's better than starting at the beginning of the level or something, though. I really just shouldn't bitch about convenience. :jess:

12-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Elika saving you is nice cuz at times you accidentally do something stupid like jumping off a platform. Takes a bit to get used to the jumping controls or just not be impatient at times...

My big pet peeve is the whole "random button appears on screen and you have a half second to hit it", it is usually when they are about to kill you, so if you miss, Elika intervenes and saves you and the enemy regenerates some health. The problem is you never quite know what button to press. You also have those event during battle, but they are more predictable such as when the enemy uses a special corruption attack, the triangle (PS3) button appears and you press it to dodge/counter/avoid it. Same as say when the one of the bosses is trying to drag you away or another tries to stomp on you, you repeatively have to tap square. Gets a bit annoying and tedious. Otherwise, the combos can be beautiful when executed, just wish there were more fights if only the battle mechanics were a bit more to my liking. Then again this shows that there is greater emphasis on acrobatics and world exploring than fighting hordes of the Corrupted. :/

Quindiana Jones
12-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Apparently they decided to leave the http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.giftiness of the old PoPs behind, as shown in the title. Nothing extra, just Prince of Persia. Anyone played all 4 games and got some feedback?

I'm loving what I've seen of the art. I was soiling myself in advance, just because it brought back memories of Okami.

Markus. D
12-14-2008, 12:10 AM
I feel the game's death system is a little extremely forgiving.

Boney King
12-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Please tell me the song in the commercial. I don't plan on buying the game (I don't have any of those consoles) but I like that song.
If you mean this one (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ahQyCrg8_fw), then it's "Saeglopur" by Sigur Ros.

Ichimonji
12-15-2008, 06:16 AM
I really like this game; it's very fun. Although, as was the case with Assassin's Creed, it's extremely easy. And once you know the predictable routine of the game, you can easily breeze right through it; even master it. The trophies/achievements are also very easy to obtain. I've had the game for three days, and i'm only missing four trophies. I can see this game being the second PS3/360 title that I'll get 100% in (ironically, the first is Assassin's Creed.) So yeah. Short and easy, but pretty fun nonetheless.

Also, Nolan North and Kari Wahlgren voicing the Prince and Elika respectively is massive win.