PDA

View Full Version : Leading ladies

sir helix
12-14-2008, 06:48 PM
out of the main stream games which leading lady was your favorite.

ill have to go with Yuna. shes forced with the burden of
knowing that she must give up not only her life but the life
of one of her gaurdians to temperarly kill sin.

yeah no pressure.

hhr1dluv
12-14-2008, 06:51 PM
I like Yuna quite a lot. I don't know why exactly. Maybe it was because I felt closest to her as a character after following her for two games (FFX and X-2).

MJN SEIFER
12-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Rinoa for me, Aeris if she counts came 2nd

Wolf Kanno
12-14-2008, 07:46 PM
out of the main stream games which leading lady was your favorite.

ill have to go with Yuna. shes forced with the burden of
knowing that she must give up not only her life but the life
of one of her gaurdians to temperarly kill sin.

yeah no pressure.

Yuna chose to be a Summoner out of some misguided feeling of duty cause her father was one; she spends most of the game half heartedly and meekly trying to convince her guardians she is somehow doing the right thing. Though Wakka and the others try to convince her otherwise, she stubbornly refuses to deter from her path even though she doesn't really want to do it herself and knows fully well its going to hurt the people she actually cares about in favor of helping people she doesn't even know. Overall, I felt her decision to be a summoner was more out of a wishy-washy decision. :rolleyes2

She somehow feels that sacrificing herself is a good thing even though as you travel through Spira, the only thing you meet are people willing to push her forward, to sacrifice her, so that they could finally have peace. In my eyes, these people are not worth saving and X is a game that represents the ugly, dark side of utilitarianism. I respect the people who stood up and fought Sin; I have no respect for the people who stood by and waited for someone else to do it for them. :mad:

I'm going for Lady Ashe who has a real burden. She has to fight with the personal conflict of choosing revenge for herself or trying to save the kingdom she is honor bound to protect. The entire game's plot revovles around her journey and ultimate decision. Throw in the fact that she is a forceful and headstrong woman who is more than willing to face the Archadian Empire alone without the rest of her party. It was a nice change of pace from the demure, meek and motherly figure type female leads from FF games in the past. :cool:

My next chose was Terra Bradford, caught between two different worlds, Terra struggles with being an outcast through her whole journey. Her father's people are almost extinct and her mother's people see her as nothing more than a tool to utilize in a senseless war she is drawn into. Terra spends the game looking for a personal identity after so much of her life had been taken from her by the Gesthalian Empire. I felt it was quite unique cause the other two major half breeds in the series were more steadfast in their decisions and gravitated towards what they felt was key. Cecil chose his human side, Sephiroth chose his alien origin. Terra tries to walk the side of humans but is constantly forced to accept her Esper origins and ultimately chooses to walk a middle road before facing Kefka...

arcanedude34
12-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Garnet. Dunno why, just always liked her.

Rye
12-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Me too, Arcane! Garnet has always been my favorite. I didn't much like Rinoa. Yuna is okay, but she's a little bland. Garnet is a damsel in distress, but she can fight for herself in the end.

scrumpleberry
12-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Terra. She is everything I should hate in a Mary-Sue, but I really think she's fantastic. I don't know why. I actually love her. Maybe she's so much of a character I should hate that I just love her instead? Goodness knows..

black orb
12-15-2008, 12:15 AM
>>> Aeris, its impossible to not love her.

Wolf Kanno
12-15-2008, 04:46 AM
>>> Aeris, its impossible to not love her.

Hello, my name is Mr. Impossible! Making the Impossible possible since 19XX :p

Ichimonji
12-15-2008, 07:00 AM
I found that Terra stopped being cool once the world of ruin came into play. Rydia or Tifa would be my pick actually (and surpisingly).

arcanedude34
12-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Lesse, Rosa was as deep as cardboard (waits for PaladinCecil to show up), Lenna was almost as bad, Terra was a Mary-Sue 'til the end and got demoted to optional side character in WoR, I hated Aeris, Tifa rocked, Rinoa had me vomitting blood on the floor, Garnet was awesome, Yuna was okay (except her voice actor), and Ashe was way too much of a bitch for me.

Depression Moon
12-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Why Queen Garnet of course. She's the bvest one out there. i like her determination and her story revolving about her mother. Yuna comes as a close second because she's a pretty strong-willed woman too, but I'm referring to her pre X-2 self, because she became too bubbly for me in that game.

Wolf Kanno
12-15-2008, 07:23 PM
How is Terra more of a Mary-Sue than Aerith and Yuna? I am intrigued...

PeneloRatsbane
12-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Ashe, she could kick the asses of all the others, maybe she would have trouble with Tifa, but she weilds massive sword. she doesn't act like a fairy princess and she sticks to her cause, even slightly considering the dark side, got to love her

Vivisteiner
12-15-2008, 07:40 PM
http://www.galbadiax.com/ff9/brahne.jpg

arcanedude34
12-15-2008, 07:43 PM
She isn't technically, but due to the limitations of VI, she comes off as much more of one.

Roogle
12-15-2008, 09:40 PM
My favorite female character in the series is Celes from Final Fantasy VI because she showed a very human side of herself after the events of Solitary Island. It means a lot to me to see powerful people succumb to human weaknesses, I think.

My favorite female character in the series would have been Ashe from Final Fantasy XII if the game had contained more character development and moments. Sometimes, it felt a little too much like the political story overwrote the character story, and that is a shame because Final Fantasy XII had a diverse cast that could have played off each other relatively well aside from key events. I think that, and the presence of Vaan and Penelo, who were along for no real reason, lead me to think of other characters in the series as more forthcoming.

Ultros
12-16-2008, 04:13 PM
definitely yuna. she carries the weight of the world on her shoulders and even though she finds it tough she still keeps going. she also grows so much from a meek shy girl into a strong independent woman :choc2:

MJN SEIFER
12-16-2008, 04:16 PM
She isn't technically, but due to the limitations of VI, she comes off as much more of one.

None of them are Mary-Sues. They clearly had their weaknesses.

hhr1dluv
12-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Eh, the only Square character I feel comfortable calling a Mary-Sue is Xion from the Kingdom Hearts franchise, but I don't know anything about her yet. :p

licence
12-16-2008, 05:51 PM
In all honesty, the female leads usually do nothing but annoy me.

Freya
12-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Yuna annoys me to no end. Everyone says Tidus is the annoying one in FFX for me it's Yuna. I just want to shoot her sometimes. xD

I like Garnet cause she has to go against everything she's ever known and take over control of a country and proceeds to still try to help save the world.

BUT I would like think Ashe is the best. She really has to go against everything and everyone. The surge of politics mixed with personal vendettas it makes her seem like a stronger female. Plus she can totally kick the other leading ladies asses.

Rantz
12-16-2008, 10:02 PM
I like Garnet best, too. No clever reasoning and stuff, she just appeals to me the most.

But White Mage is pretty fab too.

Woodinator
12-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Yuna annoyed the heck out of me. She was so bumbling and indecisive throughout the whole game. Yeah she had a great burden on her shoulders but so did pretty much every female lead in the games.

Aerith was the last surviving ancient and nearly the only hope to save the planet. Garnet had to fight against her mother all the while discovering who she really was and on top of that getting thrust into the leadership of an entire nation at the ripe young age of 16 (or something like that). Ashe and Terra have already been discussed too. None of them were hopeless as she was throughout the game. Sure they had moments of despair but Yuna was like that for pretty much the entire game O.o /end rant.

That being said, my favorites were Ashe and then Garnet.

Marshall Banana
12-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Celes, Terra, and Garnet are too sappy/dramatic.

Faris is the coolest, Aerith is the cutest, and Yuna has the prettiest clothes.

Dr.M
12-28-2008, 02:57 PM
yunie :)

jerrid warren
03-06-2009, 04:51 AM
yuna is the best

MJN SEIFER
03-06-2009, 09:53 PM
The only thing I didn't like about Yuna was that weird "Americanese" accent that her voice actress used for her (of course, thoughs who are familiar with my posts will know, I never really cared for voice acting in FF games), but I found her a likable character.

Wolf Kanno
03-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Her English voice work is terrible but I feel its more of a problem with the localization than her VA. They tried to keep her too close to the original Japanese and this is one of those rare times where cultures clash and you need to make changes to get the proper meaning conveyed (or as I like to think of it, the stuff 99% of the subtitle fans whine about in dubs :roll2). She is very quiet and restrained in the Japanese but in English it makes her sound naive and stupid. They read the lines almost exactly the same but different cultures can get different meaning from the way its spoken. The meaning is lost due to an over site on the localization teams part.

MJN SEIFER
03-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Hmmm. I didn't think of that - very good points there.

Rocket Edge
03-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Rinoa, dunno really know why, but I always liked her.

xXsarahXx
03-09-2009, 12:16 PM
I always liked Rinoa too.
But Yuna is my favorite. Ive never heard her Jap voice acting before. Didnt realise there was such a diffrence.

blackmage_nuke
03-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Six Celes.

That was a vague pun on sex sells

Lacarus
03-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Rikku. Optimistic, cheerful, helpful, wants to save her annoying cousin and she has great designs:greenie:

Forsaken Lover
03-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Yuna's American VA was decent. Her best bit obviously being her speech to Yunalesca.
YouTube - Final Fantasy X - *SPOILERS* Yunalesca scene. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvAXzNf5OHo)

I felt she carried that well.

She does better in X-2 when Yuna is a more carefree character.

Oh and Garnet was my favorite leading lady. I've said why before. She's simply a great character, beautiful and has a somewhat practical outfit.

FFIX Choco Boy
03-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Top 5
1. Garnet/Dagger/Sarah
2. Rinoa
3. Ashe
4. Tifa
5. Agrias