PDA

View Full Version : National Anthems

Yar
12-16-2008, 03:11 AM
If this belongs in The Lounge, then so be it.

So, National Anthems! Are there any you like? Do you know your nation's anthem's lyrics?

We had to learn the Star-Spangled Banner in school. So, I know that one. ;) I have also picked up O Canada at hockey games. :lol:

We also did the German National Anthem in German class, but I can't remember any of it except for somewhere it had "Deutschland über alles" in it.

Hearing the Chinese National Anthem at the Olympics, I learned I like that one too. :p

qwertysaur
12-16-2008, 03:13 AM
I like the anthem of Israel, Hatikva.

Momiji
12-16-2008, 04:49 AM
I prefer Kazakhstan's anthem.[/borat]

Denmark
12-16-2008, 05:04 AM
Kazakhstan is the grea-
test country in the world

etc.

The only anthems I know in full are those of the US and Canada. I know lyrics to <i>a</i> song named "God Save the Queen", but not the one that is considered the national anthem of the UK.

And I know all the words to Spain's national anthem too.

Psychotic
12-16-2008, 05:24 AM
The national anthem of Chile has always struck a chord with me. I was watching them play in the World Cup in 1998, and obviously before each match they play the anthem of the two teams playing. The Chilean team themselves were absolutely BELTING the anthem out. "ASSY BEE! ASSY BAR! ASSY OH!". Quite why they have to yell that everything is assy is beyond me but it was beautiful.

I obviously know the UK one. I can play the French one on a piano. I could sing the German one for you if you like. I could also sing the Italian one - I'd get the tune right but the words would just be me singing "Italia!" over and over again.

licence
12-16-2008, 05:24 AM
Kazakhstan is the grea-
test country in the world

etc.

The only anthems I know in full are those of the US and Canada. I know lyrics to <i>a</i> song named "God Save the Queen", but not the one that is considered the national anthem of the UK.

And I know all the words to Spain's national anthem too.

God Save the queen...the facist regime...and so on and so forth. Sex pistols are rather good.

My favourite national anthem would be Oh Flower of Scotland. Even though it's unofficial.

rubah
12-16-2008, 05:33 AM
I haven't listened to too many, but the SSB and O Canada are pretty alright in my book

Paro
12-16-2008, 07:33 AM
My favorite is the Macross National Anthem!!! It's so epic and it makes me proud to be an anime fan.

Gwawr
12-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn anwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri,
Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mâd,
Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed.

GWLAD, GWLAD!
Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad,
Tra môr yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,
O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau.

English Version:

The land of my fathers, the land of my choice,
The land in which poets and minstrels rejoice,
The land whose stern warriors were true to the core,
While bleeding for freedom of yore,

WALES, WALES (technically 'country', but hey)!
Favourite land of Wales!
While sea her wall, may naught befall,
To mar the old language of Wales.

I genuinely didn't know 'God Save the Queen' until about a year ago, but I can play any number of them on harp/piano.

Kirobaito
12-16-2008, 05:58 PM
I know the Star-Spangled Banner, O Canada, God Save the Queen, and the Flower of Scotland (which isn't official). I know the tune of the French one.

Old Manus
12-16-2008, 06:14 PM
I can sing the Welsh national anthem, but I have no idea what I'm saying.