PDA

View Full Version : Nocturnal State

Yar
12-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Okay. So I may not be able to hold a normal sleep schedule.

It's almost 6:00 a.m., and I think I'll go out and get some breakfast/dinner pretty soon. I haven't seen the sun in a couple weeks, though I attribute that more to days being so ridiculously short this late in the year.

My dad says that when I was really young (before school age), I was just like this. Up all night, down all day. I thought that was an interesting factoid about myself when he told me.

I don't know if I'm actually prone to being awake at night by nature, because that seems like it would go against human biology. I do know that I have a less fulfilling sleep when I sleep during the day, and I rarely dream: I woke up at 2 p.m. yesterday/today and I thought I had only been asleep an hour, when it was more like six hours.

My mom works third-shift at a hospital. She's worked third shift for a couple of years. Yet, she has never adjusted totally to a third shift schedule. She still has trouble with it. She still prefers third shift, she says it's easier because usually the big boss people aren't there and they are less busy.

Anyone here seem to be more of a night owl than a normal being? :p

cloud_doll
12-17-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm a "early to bed, early to rise" kinda person. I actually get kinda O.C. over my sleep. I always wake up between 7 and 8, and if I don't get at least 7 hours of sleep a night, the next day I'll be paranoid. So I'm always in bed by at least midnight.

Parker
12-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Last year I completely flipped over. I'd go to bed at 4am and wake up around 3pm, sometimes as late as 5pm. It was not good.

Now I'm up for work around noon, so I sometimes stay up pretty late, but if I didn't have work I'd be like cloud_doll I think.

scrumpleberry
12-17-2008, 01:36 PM
I can fix my schedule to be any way round. The most common and comfortable times for me, however, are about 9:30am to 11:30pmish, and 12:00pm to 2:00am.

I am a bit of a night owl.

Denmark
12-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Last Tuesday/Wednesday I was up from 11 AM Tuesday to 11 PM Wednesday. Yesterday I woke up at around 1PM and haven't slept since.

In between, I've usually slept from about 4 AM to 1 PM.

I think this might normalize over winter break.

Værn
12-17-2008, 03:31 PM
I assume a new sleep pattern every couple of weeks. Up until Saturday, I was falling asleep around noon and waking up at ~7 PM. Now I'm on a "normal" schedule.

Zeldy
12-17-2008, 03:41 PM
For the first two weeks or so of Summer break, I make sure I stay up till atleast 4am, any earlier than that and you're just lame. I end up getting really tired and going to be earlier later on though :p

Saber
12-17-2008, 03:54 PM
I think everythings better at night. I think it feels better. The chill is better, the parties are better, so on and so on.

day light is my destroyer

Peegee
12-17-2008, 04:13 PM
I've worked night shift for two-three months once. I've also spent the entire summer holidays ass backwards back when I was young.

I either can't do that any more, or choose to not value that sort of lifestyle. There are reasons why being awake during the day is better than at night. You won't die or anything, but I can't imagine the lack of social interaction is healthy either.

I Don't Need A Name
12-17-2008, 04:43 PM
late to bed, up late in the day.
always have been, always will be

Iceglow
12-17-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm one of those "I just don't sleep much" people. I regulary go to bed 3 - 4 am in the morning and then get up at around 8:30 - 9am and rinse and repeat I just never needed much sleep.

Rye
12-17-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm always at a constant battle:

My desire for 12-13 hours of sleep a day vs. wanting a lot of time in my day to enjoy myself.

I dearly love the feeling of 12 hours of sleep, but I also like the feeling of going to sleep like, at 1, and then waking up at 8 and seizing the entire day. I hate waking up later than 10 because of that principal! But it feels so good! ;;

Last night I got... 12 or 13 hours of sleep? I had the trippiest dreams EVER!

Markus. D
12-17-2008, 07:00 PM
I actually plan to move to a part of New York where I can keep a Job at night time, where everyone is y'know, open, shopping, walking-out-on-the-streets and stuff.

It's like reverse!!! :D! I saw it in a Documentry about Vampires.

Shorty
12-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Definitely more of a night person. Its a bad habit. When you stay up late, you're normally not a morning person.

Del Murder
12-17-2008, 08:12 PM
I used to be a night person but then I got older. Pretty sure that happens to most everyone. I can still stay up late on occasion, but not to 4am every night like my girlfriend does.

Jiro
12-18-2008, 12:48 AM
I'm a night person. Especially over the school holidays. It's not uncommon for me to have 20 hour days either, though living off 4 hours sleep takes its toll eventually.

Jessweeee♪
12-18-2008, 02:49 AM
Being a teenager I prefer to be nocturnal when given the choice :p

Montoya
12-18-2008, 03:00 AM
I don't think I've gone to sleep before twelve at night since high school. Two in the morning feels just right although it sucks because none of my friends like staying out late, then again, nothing is open late besides Taco Bell, and that gets old fast.
I've had this problem recently though of being sleepy all the time but I can't go to sleep. I just had a five minute nap because I was so tired but I couldn't stay asleep. Nothing more frustrating than that.

Aerith's Knight
12-18-2008, 03:33 AM
I take a 1 to 2-hour nap every 14 to 16 hours.

Goldenboko
12-18-2008, 12:37 PM
My body's gotten used to a school sleep schedule, and is pretty strict about making me keep to it. Rise at 7-8, sleep at 10-11.

*Math* My early sleep schedule is like a sine graph, starts real early, then gets later and later, then gets earlier and earlier, and the loop continues :bigsmile: