PDA

View Full Version : Installing RAM help

Carl the Llama
12-18-2008, 05:50 AM
Ok so I have decided to purchase some more ram for my computer and have found some ram that is compatible with my motherboard but im wondering, whats the max memory capeability of my motherboard, how do I go about installing more RAM and how do I know how much memory each card contains ect?

I have attached my DxDiag file so you look over my computers specification, many thanks =)

rubah
12-18-2008, 06:04 AM
that file says you have 1gb of ram installed but doesn't say anything about how much you can have. Go to your Device Manager and look around for Memory in there (start/programs/accesories/system tools I think?) I think that's where you can find out the upper limit

Momiji
12-18-2008, 06:05 AM
Well, I'm not sure of your maximum amount, but I do know (after dealing with such matters just yesterday) that the RAM cards should be labeled (I have 2 new 2GB ones in my computer now, and they're both labeled).

As for installing, simply turn off your computer, preferably unplug it (I don't know if this is necessary or not, but I was told to remove the battery from my laptop as I did this), and locate the RAM card(s). Depending on how many slots you have, you can either install a new card or remove an existing one and place a larger one in. It's not hard to do, really. Upon startup, you'll be told that the memory has changed, simply follow the direction to continue. (At least, that's what happened to me.)

Baloki
12-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Max amount of RAM will and always will be on the motherboard specs, most motherboards support upto 4gb of RAM and modern mother boards will support upto 8GB. The other thing you'll want to make sure is that the new RAM goes in the same channels as each other so as to get the dual channel speeds of them.

Finally if you have a 32bit OS (Anything pre-XP+XP and some flavours of Vista) then don't bother going over 3 gig of RAM as Windows just won't pick it up.

Psychotic
12-18-2008, 04:08 PM
I installed some new RAM on my computer today :D

I found out my max amount by going to crucial.com and putting in my computer model, and it automatically found it for me and I ordered it from there and it came in a couple of days.
As for installing, simply turn off your computer, preferably unplug it (I don't know if this is necessary or not, but I was told to remove the battery from my laptop as I did this), and locate the RAM card(s). Depending on how many slots you have, you can either install a new card or remove an existing one and place a larger one in. It's not hard to do, really.Don't forget to ground yourself first. Preferably with an grounding wrist strap, although if you want to be an idiot like me and not use one, do it on a wooden surface and away from a carpet, stand still, and touch an unpainted part of your computer case. Try to keep your hand on it at all times if you can. I also put the new RAM cards on the case for a few seconds before trying to put them in. Even a small amount of static can do damage, so it's best to err on the side of caution.

Then open up the clips that hold the RAM, take old the old RAM, and push the new RAM in until the clips snap in automatically. Make sure they have both snapped in. For me it was extremely hard to get the clips to snap in but I got there in the end. If only one is snapped in, your computer will not turn on and will just beep at you :p

Carl the Llama
12-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Awesome thanks for the help guys, and iv purchased a wrist strap so nothing to worry about on that account ^^

Incidently, how do I find out if I have a 32bit OS? im running XP pro.

Baloki
12-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Awesome thanks for the help guys, and iv purchased a wrist strap so nothing to worry about on that account ^^

Incidently, how do I find out if I have a 32bit OS? im running XP pro.

Then your running a 32bit OS

Also Psy anti-stat is for wusses and small children, one day I'll show you how a man does it :D

Psychotic
12-18-2008, 09:38 PM
I didn't use anti-stat because I was too lazy/cheap to get one. :cool:

rubah
12-18-2008, 10:13 PM
I just put my computer on the floor when I open it up and pray that dog hair doesn't get in. It's worked so far!

Samuraid
12-19-2008, 06:14 AM
As long as you regularly touch a grounded/earthed metal surface while working inside your computer, so as to discharge static electricity, you'll generally be fine.

As for your motherboard, it supports up to 4GB of DDR-400 RAM (not DDR2 nor DDR3, so be careful what you purchase). It looks like it has 4 slots available.
This board is similar to the one you have, although yours is an OEM-specific board: GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-8I915P-MF (http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=1800&ProductName=GA-8I915P-MF)