PDA

View Full Version : Gaming OCD? We got it!

Flying Mullet
12-18-2008, 10:05 PM
So what gaming OCD's do you have?

Me? If I'm real close to a new level, hit points, etc... "threshold" in an RPG then I have to level before going on. For example, if I have 398 hit points and I'm ready for a boss, I'll hang out and earn my next level so that I can face that boss with over 400 hit points. Same goes if I'm level 39 and ready to face a boss. I need that level 40!

blackmage_nuke
12-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Whenver I have anything pertaining to 13 I must change it immediately. If I have 13 of an item I must use one or obtain another one, If Im on Lvl 13 I train until get to 14

scrumpleberry
12-18-2008, 10:13 PM
I have to have ALL of the jobs maxed out, no matter how crap they are. I will distribute the jobs across my characters, or I will just make them all do them all D:

I have to get all the optional items that you can get by just picking them up e.g: FFIX Zodiac coins so I spent forever manically going over every square centimetre of towns I passed through without using a walkthrough |: tiring stuff.

In Skies of Arcadia, I had to have at least one of my characters learn at least one spell for every room I passed through.

edczxcvbnm
12-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Avoid battles and speed playing are mine...oh and randomly dying forever over and over again. Like...jumping off a cliff in different ways. I have been known to do that for a good hour sometimes >.>

Vermachtnis
12-18-2008, 11:17 PM
So what gaming OCD's do you have?

Me? If I'm real close to a new level, hit points, etc... "threshold" in an RPG then I have to level before going on. For example, if I have 398 hit points and I'm ready for a boss, I'll hang out and earn my next level so that I can face that boss with over 400 hit points. Same goes if I'm level 39 and ready to face a boss. I need that level 40!

I totally know what ya mean. I'm walking towards a save point to quit for the day and I get in a random encounter before I get there and notice a character only needs like 3 XP to level up, I'm gonna run around the save point until I get a level up. I don't do that with HP or LV though. Unless it lands on like 444 or 666, then I'll run around or equip something to fix that. That happened to me twice in Persona 4. First Kanji gets 666HP and then Chie does.

And I also like having my items and skills in a certain order. It annoys me when there is nothing I can do about. Is it so hard to put an organize skill in the status menu. Same thing with some games and key items. Sure to a certain degree it makes since to let key items fall where they will, but what if there's certain key items you can get at different intervals in the game. You have one of those at the top another in the middle and the rest at the end. It's irks me a little.

And I almost always remap the controls on fighting games. My friends learned the hard way it's better for them to have second controller. Cause the buttons on the first controller don't do what they're suppose to :tongue:

Iceglow
12-19-2008, 12:21 AM
For me it's starting a game, I have to be able to get what I consider "the perfect start" done. So in Fallout 3 I took several days worth of game play, probably enough time to complete the game even to get to the first town and do a few early missions. I also HAVE to save before returning to a npc to turn in missions just so that I can be sure if the outcome of the mission is not to my liking I can reset and not loose hours of play.

I have to if possible play female characters, excepting in Halo 3 online. It's not even in the cyber perverted manner of "well if I'm going to be staring at the ass on this character for most of the game I'm gonna want it to be hot!" kind of thing or the idea that guys are nicer to girls in online games. I tend to be very self reliant it's just a thing I do.

I've also got a few bad habits with RPGs, this is the norm for me: All characters must be skill capped, even if I do not intend on ever using them, this in games like Suidoken 4 is a nightmare. I must have the best possible equipment in the game, such as genji armour in FFTA and for the final battle Llednar's armour for Marche. I generally have to have every spell, item ect ect ect. In FFVIII this goes really to the extreme that I will collect 100 curse spikes to make 1 dark matter and another 100 for refining to Pain spells and then collect it back to 100 "just in case" same goes for Energy Crystals ect.

Flying Mullet
12-19-2008, 12:31 AM
I have to if possible play female characters, excepting in Halo 3 online. It's not even in the cyber perverted manner of "well if I'm going to be staring at the ass on this character for most of the game I'm gonna want it to be hot!" kind of thing or the idea that guys are nicer to girls in online games. I tend to be very self reliant it's just a thing I do.
Levian and I were just talking about how we play girls in MMORPGs because people are nicer to you and give you free stuff. xD

Iceglow
12-19-2008, 12:56 AM
It's true they are, I certainly get plenty of help offers in GW when I'm online but I'm much more of a play hard and seek my own rewards it's only when I'm truly stumped or if I'm say 50 gold short of the item I desperately need I ask my guild for help. I remember in the game I work on which is a browser based mmorpg, this one guy used to think I was truly female based on the fact that I accurately RP'd a psychotic lesbian dark elf and he showered my character in that game with lavish gifts he got from raiding other people (since upon dying everything you own that you carry is lootable from worn armour and weapon to the gold in your pocket to the potions you were training with and the flint scraper you used to treat fur pelts...combine with exp loss and it's quite harsh) he stopped when he realized I was really a guy but still it was quite odd. However for me it's just an asthetic thing, in games like Fallout it's useful because female characters are treated better, however I'll generally pick female chars even in beat em ups where they're much weaker than their male counterparts.

Crimson
12-19-2008, 08:10 AM
I HAVE to try and get the game as perfect as possible, even it requires me to kill a boss 10 times my level with the ability to instant KO me, and then spending 6 hours running around the world for an item that is almost completely useless to me, but since itrs for perfection, it MUST be done.

Tama2
12-19-2008, 10:42 AM
I HAVE to try and get the game as perfect as possible, even it requires me to kill a boss 10 times my level with the ability to instant KO me, and then spending 6 hours running around the world for an item that is almost completely useless to me, but since itrs for perfection, it MUST be done.

I'm a 100%-er.

Elly
12-19-2008, 12:32 PM
i have to keep my items stock (healing, restorative, ect...) up at multiples of 10... before i move onto any new area i level the main hero char or party leader up by multiples of 5... also i must make all chars, even mages, capabable of holding their own in physical combat, nothing worse than running out of SP only to find you have no Ether or other SP Restorative left in stock...

escobert
12-19-2008, 02:01 PM
My inventory has to be all clean and tidy. I'm a mess in real life :p

I Don't Need A Name
12-19-2008, 03:08 PM
i have to get the best equipement at each town.
i also have to check every door in every building, in games like Silent Hill where it shows on the map

Vivisteiner
12-19-2008, 03:23 PM
I HATE using rare items such as elixirs in any battle other than the final boss. I always think I need to save them up for later, and then I end up fighting some pussy final boss with 15 elixirs and 5 megalixirs or w/e. :p

scrumpleberry
12-19-2008, 03:25 PM
I HATE using rare items such as elixirs in any battle other than the final boss. I always think I need to save them up for later, and then I end up fighting some pussy final boss with 15 elixirs and 5 megalixirs or w/e. :p

Oh yeah, I always do that! I save all of my best items for the end, and then I just don't use them! I do throw all my weapons, though.

Flying Mullet
12-19-2008, 03:49 PM
I save all my good items for the end as well. :)

Tavrobel
12-19-2008, 03:55 PM
I pack rat, I 100% stuff, and maybe, just maybe, I might be nice to someone while playing. Everything has to be in order. Always.

Odd, I know. But you're talking to someone who's run countless runs of the same thing over and over for the same item, only to trade it away from something equally useless.

Psychotic
12-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Every NPC must be talked to. They all say nothing of value. But I don't care. I must talk to you. In the case of Oblivion, I also had to make them all love me. Argh.

qwertysaur
12-19-2008, 04:13 PM
If there is a bestiary, then it must be full.

scrumpleberry
12-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Every NPC must be talked to. They all say nothing of value. But I don't care. I must talk to you. In the case of Oblivion, I also had to make them all love me. Argh.

Do you also talk to them multiple times, and after events happen in the town, in case their answer changes?

Jiro
12-19-2008, 04:20 PM
I almost never use items unless absolutely necessary. I try not to sell anything in hopes it might be useful in a alchemy-type thing later on in the game (unless there isn't one, in which I sell like crazy). I also like to play as a female character, as exploring every option is another habit I have.

Vermachtnis
12-19-2008, 04:46 PM
I've never had a problem using items. Especially when I haven't saved in awhile and monsters start getting mean. That's when I start chucking Elixers and Somas and stuff like that. Chances are there is gonna be a box with said item in front of a boss where it's gonna be necessary.

I agree with not selling and being a pack rat. Those synthesis and alchemy combining stuff as been getting more and more popular. And I'm always paranoid that you're gonna need the [Wooden Stick] you got at the beginning of the game to make the [Super Ultimate Blade of +7 Awesomeness]

Crimson
12-19-2008, 06:04 PM
I try to keep AT LEAST 1 of each weapon, especially in the 3D generation.

Seeing the requirements for Hades Synthesis Shop in FFIX taught me this lesson. (Example, you need a frickin mythril sword for one of them, and you cant get them after Treno in Disc 2, and this guys in Disc 4!)

And yeah I hate using rare items too.

Rantz
12-19-2008, 07:25 PM

Oh god yeah I did that too.

In FF games, whenever I find a store I need to get the same amount of all item types as far as my money lets me. For example if I have 16 Eye Drops, 18 Echo Screens and 5 Softs, I'll buy until I have 20 of each status recovery item because 20 is the nearest higher number that is even enough. Sometimes if I've received extra items (e.g. if in the above example I have 22 Antidotes I'll sell 2). If I get really rich I'll do the same with equipment although the number is usually 3 or 5 or something like that.

Flying Mullet
12-19-2008, 07:38 PM
In FF games, whenever I find a store I need to get the same amount of all item types as far as my money lets me. For example if I have 16 Eye Drops, 18 Echo Screens and 5 Softs, I'll buy until I have 20 of each status recovery item because 20 is the nearest higher number that is even enough. Sometimes if I've received extra items (e.g. if in the above example I have 22 Antidotes I'll sell 2). If I get really rich I'll do the same with equipment although the number is usually 3 or 5 or something like that.
I do this too, in multiples of five.

Jessweeee♪
12-19-2008, 08:57 PM

Do you also talk to them multiple times, and after events happen in the town, in case their answer changes?

OMG this xD

Vivisteiner
12-19-2008, 08:59 PM
I do this too, in multiples of nine, to reflect my fanboyism.

Old Manus
12-22-2008, 11:19 PM
On Resident Evil, I will use the crappy pistol all the time through the game, hoarding all other ammo, because goddamn it, I WILL NEED IT LATER. Then I find myself at the end of the game with enough weapons to start a small war.

Jessweeee♪
12-22-2008, 11:23 PM
On Resident Evil, I will use the crappy pistol all the time through the game, hoarding all other ammo, because goddamn it, I WILL NEED IT LATER. Then I find myself at the end of the game with enough weapons to start a small war.

I do this in Tomb Raider a lot.

Madame Adequate
12-23-2008, 12:07 AM

Multiples of 10 for items are preferable, though 5s are also acceptable and 99 is okay too. Equipment requires multiples of exactly one.

Psychotic
12-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Do you also talk to them multiple times, and after events happen in the town, in case their answer changes?...yes. :( Also every object in houses and stuff must be examined in case it has a description. In my own games I've made (RPG maker is awesome) I added descriptions to random objects and changed NPC dialogue after events just for OCD people like me.
On Resident Evil, I will use the crappy pistol all the time through the game, hoarding all other ammo, because goddamn it, I WILL NEED IT LATER. Then I find myself at the end of the game with enough weapons to start a small war.This too.

Tama2
12-23-2008, 12:17 AM

Multiples of 10 for items are preferable, though 5s are also acceptable and 99 is okay too. Equipment requires multiples of exactly one.

I do 10 for almost everything except for reviving items and high healing items. Which I do in 5.

The Unknown Guru
01-02-2009, 11:21 PM

Same here. I also HAVE to check every flower pot, jar, or crate in every town in case there might be 7 gold or some crap like that in there. Golden Sun is tough for me to play until I get Reveal.

A game that deserves special mention is Skies of Arcadia. It's so hard to not walk around in dungeons until every bit of the map is filled in. Also, I MUST see every description in the game, and every time my ship gets upgraded, I have to fly around for hours looking for discoveries.

Levian
01-03-2009, 01:35 AM

Yeah and

I feel bad mixing two green herbs together, or any two herbs that aren't green or red really. I don't like using F-aid sprays until I'm all out of herbs. In the item chest I need to have similar items next to eachother. Herbs, guns, ammo, old keys that I for some reason decided not to discard. There can't be spaces between items. Ink ribbons needs to be combined. I can't use machine guns or any other stronger gun unless all of my shotgun shells are gone, and even then I'd probably turn to my handgun before I used anything else.

Shoeberto
01-03-2009, 01:52 AM

Yeah and

I feel bad mixing two green herbs together, or any two herbs that aren't green or red really. I don't like using F-aid sprays until I'm all out of herbs. In the item chest I need to have similar items next to eachother. Herbs, guns, ammo, old keys that I for some reason decided not to discard. There can't be spaces between items. Ink ribbons needs to be combined. I can't use machine guns or any other stronger gun unless all of my shotgun shells are gone, and even then I'd probably turn to my handgun before I used anything else.
Pretty much the same, through and through. Though occasionally I just get fed up with having so many green herbs without any reds to mix with so I might make a 3 green mixture but it always seems like such a waste. And yeah... I try to use the pistol on zombies and dogs, shotgun for anything stronger. But no magnum or anything heavy until the final boss... then I always have like crazy amounts of magnum/flamethrower/grenade launcher/etc. ammo.

Værn
01-03-2009, 04:19 AM
If there is a bestiary, then it must be full.
Gotta catch 'em all...?

In games where you are able to manually adjust your stats upon leveling up, I try to keep them all at multiples of 5.

The Man
01-03-2009, 05:10 AM
I'm really obsessive about hoarding ammo in FPS games. If possible I'd go through the whole game with fists only even if it made me take five times as long to complete the games. I also have to complete the automap in games that have them and I have to talk to every NPC multiple times and check every flower pot for bonus stuff, regardless of how much I need it. I also feel compelled to pick up all bonuses that enemies drop regardless of whether I actually need them. Even in the original Zelda when you're limited to 255 rupees, I still freak out if I fail to pick up a coin.

Wolf Kanno
01-03-2009, 05:27 AM
The item inventory stuff people have mentioned as well as talking and examining everything. I must complete auto-maps, I must get every treasure in the dungeons. If I know a creature has a weapon/equipment rare drop, I will spend hours farming it until I get what I need. In tactical games, I will restart if I lose a character or item, or even if its not permanent, if the battle was easy and I lost them due to carelessness, I will restart it so he gets the XP. If the game has job classes, I must master all of them, if it has ultimate weapons, I will obtain them even if I don't use them.

I must have one of every item that is gettable in the game, from obscure item drops to useless things that take up your inventory space but doesn't do anything. Whatever customization system there is, I will generally play them until I deem them broken. Unless of course its more of a time sink than I am willing to give (Disgaea series). I must collect every coin/ring/ammo/small child whatever is hanging magically in mid-air surrounded by death from all sides, I will go for it. I never use E tanks until the final boss, I never use magic until a boss battle or until I absolutely need to. I never use items like elixirs except when dealing with Magic Pots.

Zeldy
01-03-2009, 06:00 PM
When playing an RPG, I buy as many HP items that you're allowed to carry. Same goes for phoenix downs, ethers, my brother called me for it. I don't call it OCD though, I just wanted to be well prepared!

Jessweeee♪
01-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I think Persona 3 is the only game where I haven't saved every good item I have ever until the last boss where I still don't use it. I think I'm near the end of the game now and I use all my good items in pretty much every boss battle xD

Wolf Kanno
01-04-2009, 12:31 AM
I think Persona 3 is the only game where I haven't saved every good item I have ever until the last boss where I still don't use it. I think I'm near the end of the game now and I use all my good items in pretty much every boss battle xD

Persona 3 makes you rethink alot of your RPG OCD. I know I didn't really reserve items in that game.

Goldenboko
01-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Reloading OCD. I have it. Missing one bullet in that Assault Rifle? IT MUST BE REPLACED! I don't care if my team needs my support, it might come down to that one LAST BULLET!

Rase
01-04-2009, 01:59 AM
As several have said, I have the "multiples of 5" condition in RPG's (items) and RTS's (units).

Lawr
01-04-2009, 03:22 AM
Playing Legend of Dragoon and viciously collecting Star Dust now gave me the OCD of checking every vase, bookshelf, flowerpot, and corner.

I also like to buy/sell healing items up to multiples of 10 and I always keep my old equipment and never sell it.

Edit
Oh yeah, I also have a reloading OCD in shooters. Even if I have the chance of being killed while I reload, I always have to have a full clip. Always.

Jiro
01-04-2009, 03:37 AM
I have the reload OCD too. I reload as soon as I kill someone, even if there's someone else already there, a really bad habit.

Zeromus_X
01-04-2009, 04:41 AM
Everyone has to be evenly leveled. If one team starts to get too high, I switch 'em out. Pretty easy to do in games with smaller casts, but I generally avoid it in games with 20 billion playable characters and just stick with a team. Also helps to avoid my other pet peeve, overleveling.

Carl the Llama
01-04-2009, 05:04 AM
I always try and complete a game the first time through really quickly, to get the point of the main plot.

And a boss battle has to be that, cant stand it getting to a boss and wipeing the floor with them.

in Silent Hill 2 when I kill someone I must get my rusty metal pole out and whack them untill they stop squelching, and I always try my best to see the worst ending of a game first so I know iv started with the worse and it will only get better from here.

Raistlin
01-04-2009, 05:14 AM
I've also got a few bad habits with RPGs, this is the norm for me: All characters must be skill capped, even if I do not intend on ever using them, this in games like Suidoken 4 is a nightmare.

Good god, man. You maxed out all characters in a Suikoden game?

The Man
01-04-2009, 05:21 AM
and here I thought recruiting them all was a bit OCD. Good God.

which reminds me, when I set up my PS2 again I need to replay the series. Well, play, for all the games past II.

Wolf Kanno
01-04-2009, 05:43 AM
I've also got a few bad habits with RPGs, this is the norm for me: All characters must be skill capped, even if I do not intend on ever using them, this in games like Suidoken 4 is a nightmare.

Good god, man. You maxed out all characters in a Suikoden game?

I have, its not as bad as you think.

Frequency NecroKat
01-04-2009, 05:44 AM
I am the ultimate offender in this. I talk to every... damned... NPC. I collect every collectable, I have extra of every item in my inventory even if I only need one (in Xenogears I'm hording items. I kept an extra dog-ford from Kislev), I do every quest, I hoard ammo like I'm facing an apocalypse filled with redneck gunmen, and I max out every character I'm presented with. I also keep all my old equipment. I never sell it. I must have at least one of everything I can at the end of the game. :P

I'm actually amusing my mom to great lengths at the moment. We're playing DW6 right now, and for anyone who hasn't played it, you have skill maps for learning your abilities. These skill maps usually offer multiple paths to one skill. Oh god. I must fill in every skill, even if following one straight path is quicker and easier. I can't leave little incomplete paths.

Kes
01-04-2009, 08:43 AM
When I played WoW I'd hoard herbs and so my bank was nothing but them. They HAD to be in alphabetical order with stacks of 20 coming before any incomplete stacks. I think I had a bag or two of equipment in that bank too.

I am a hoarder and NPC talker too. The NPC thing is mostly because sometimes they give me stuff, and OMG stuff! Any game that doesn't have a bottomless bag inflicts a lot of woe on me.

My main issue is I need the game's music on. I hate playing with any sort of external music.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-04-2009, 04:12 PM
A lot of people should never play Disgaea because it would destroy your lives.

I have bad habits with Final Fantasy Tactics. Every turn must result in JP and exp, and I often have my people sitting in a plus formation constantly buffing each other to milk more exp and JP while I slowly chip away at the monster horde. I'm always hilariously overleveled for story missions. Always.

I also do the hording items thing, though I've since been breaking myself of it and will use good items if necessary. Thing is, many games don't really require it because they aren't terribly difficult.

Quindiana Jones
01-04-2009, 05:20 PM
In RPGs, everyone has to be the best. Best equipment, highest level, all skills...everything.

Shiva_
01-26-2009, 06:12 PM
I have it to a degree.

I save frequently.
I check things frequently. If I think I did something slightly wrong, I reload.
I'm so fixated on the numbers, particularly damage points (in RPG's).
I later parts of RPG games, I like to keep items at max capacity.
Not to mention, there are times where I play non-stop for 6-8 hours or more during the day.

Magixion
01-26-2009, 06:16 PM
I, like a few others here, have to talk with every NPC out there. I feel like I will miss out on some of the story or some juicy tid bit of information. Also, I guess this is not gaming OCD, but just OCD period, I have to have an even number of every item. (i.e. 20 potions, 20 phoenix downs, 20 ethers, etc.)