PDA

View Full Version : Soulfire Soft: Xeon Wars public pull. (extremely urgent!!!)

Ledious
12-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Ok, for the first time you will get to have the first taste of Xeon Wars, however it is up to you whether this is to be the destined flavor of the cake.
I will explain everything once you have submitted your opinions.

Xeon Wars is an overhead 2d, futuristic, action game that is story based. You use a hover ship that can be upgraded with new abilities and weapons. The goals of the missions varies according to the storyline. the story has this Cowboy Beebop style, or that's what we are trying to achieve anyway.

So, here is the question and be as honest as you can, try to explain the reasoning for your answer:
As a public opinion, how do you feel about the official art style for xeon wars?
Now, these are not the actual Xeon Wars concepts and the real ones will be, lets say, more sci-fi:

deviantART: where ART meets application! (http://fc42.deviantart.com/fs39/f/2008/342/e/8/commission3_by_MelloLover.jpg)

deviantART: where ART meets application! (http://fc96.deviantart.com/fs38/f/2008/342/8/c/SingleDisplacement__Kima_by_MelloLover.jpg)

deviantART: where ART meets application! (http://fc88.deviantart.com/fs38/f/2008/346/d/d/Aiden_by_MelloLover.jpg)

Momiji
12-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Not bad at all.

Flying Mullet
12-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Please don't stretch the tables with huge images. If you need to show images in their full resolution I recommend you link to them or attach them to your post.

Markus. D
12-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Very very very pretty.

Laddy
12-19-2008, 11:08 PM
It looks beautiful. =D

Ledious
12-20-2008, 04:33 AM
Ok, you guys sure your not just saying that? I didn't draw this so I wouldn't mind if any one has a problem with it. In fact, if you do have any problems with this being the official style for a game you would play, PLEASE please please let me know :)

JKTrix
12-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Putting everything else aside, the art itself looks good.

Are you attempting to appeal to an RPG/Anime crowd with this Hover ship Action game? There are people who are put off by the 'super pretty' anime style that might limit your audience otherwise. Just like people are put off by space marines.

I have other concerns about the game in general (seen you on the Namco 'Tales' forums too), but as far as art goes, it's very good-looking but potentially limiting.

Momiji
12-20-2008, 03:20 PM

Are you attempting to appeal to an RPG/Anime crowd with this Hover ship Action game? There are people who are put off by the 'super pretty' anime style that might limit your audience otherwise. Just like people are put off by space marines.

I have other concerns about the game in general (seen you on the Namco 'Tales' forums too), but as far as art goes, it's very good-looking but potentially limiting.

Can't appeal to everyone, I guess :|

Jiro
12-20-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm a fan of the artwork, it makes me want to play the game already. I'm a sucker for good art (not so much graphics, but good design).

Ledious
12-20-2008, 10:03 PM

I have other concerns about the game in general (seen you on the Namco 'Tales' forums too), but as far as art goes, it's very good-looking but potentially limiting.Hey tales forum? Nice to see you, erm, who are you if I may ask?

But yea, I agree that I cant appeal to every audience but our goal is to appeal to more audiences than we would if it were just "Space marine" or just anime. We are sorta mixing the two where all the gameplay and machines have this western sci-fi style and the characters are drawn in an anime style. The only time you see the characters is in cut scenes that are very similar to the skits in the tales series games or like classic fire emblem cut scenes.

I'm a fan of the artwork, it makes me want to play the game already. I'm a sucker for good art (not so much graphics, but good design).
So the style doesn't bother you guys at all? This style isn't your average anime style, the characters faces are constructed differently the clothing has a more tattered look and the characters limbs, especially the legs, are stylistically drawn(space in-between legs and limbs are unrealistically skinny).

KentaRawr!
12-21-2008, 03:58 PM
It looks great. Trust me. :3

Vyk
12-21-2008, 09:34 PM
I really like it. Reminds me of the newer "hip" art styles. No More Heroes and The World Ends With You come to mind. Lots of recent mangas have a similar style. And not without reason. Just try not to go overboard. If too much effort is put into trying to be hip or trendy instead of natural it ruins the overall appeal. Fair warning

Ledious
12-22-2008, 04:15 PM
I really like it. Reminds me of the newer "hip" art styles. No More Heroes and The World Ends With You come to mind. Lots of recent mangas have a similar style. And not without reason. Just try not to go overboard. If too much effort is put into trying to be hip or trendy instead of natural it ruins the overall appeal. Fair warningExactly, we are trying to do something new, but as you said, if we go too far, it could ruin everything. Thats why I wanted to come to you guys first before we decide to use this style or not. You are the ones who are going to be playing the game after all so we better make sure you like it before we do. ;)

Ledious
02-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Allright, It has been a while since the last post here and I have some questions and updates!:

Project Xeon Updates

First screen shot:
http://fc70.deviantart.com/fs40/i/2009/035/a/3/1screenshottest_by_ledious.png

Ok, here are some cross hairs that will be different depending on the weapon. One of the things we are trying to achieve regarding game play is providing the player with a wide variety of weapons Items and power-ups to chose from. We need some of these Ideas and if you have any favorite weapon or Item Ideas you would like to see in a game, let me know :)

Keep in mind, the vehicle you pilot is a hovership so just keep your weapons reasonable, preferably cannon like weapons.

~alien Ice cannon (best weapon in the game)
http://fc93.deviantart.com/fs41/f/2009/030/1/9/crosshair4_by_ledious.png

The Ice cannon is a weapon that you can not buy and is (Spoiler!) found in the first level in a hidden cave on the edge of the map. story goes, the alien technology is from an abandoned excavation sight predating the war. The particular region of the Sahara desert where your located was bombarded for years, covering up most of the excavation site.

the gun shoots a rod of energy that inhibits quantum fluctuation giving the user control over the elements, in this case Ice. When the bolt hits the ground it cracks in which giant Ice crystals shoot up killing any enemies and at the same time, creating a barricade.

~LV 1 cannon(needs Idea)
http://fc93.deviantart.com/fs41/f/2009/030/e/4/crosshair3_by_ledious.png

~LV 2 cannon(needs Idea)
http://fc35.deviantart.com/fs41/f/2009/030/d/7/crosshair2_by_ledious.png

~LV 3 cannon(needs Idea)
http://fc13.deviantart.com/fs41/f/2009/030/1/5/crosshair_by_ledious.png

The ship also carries a primary machine gun and a missile launcher that have different levels of upgrades.

Markus. D
02-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Are you going to be able to actively switch cannon weapons?

or is it, more, this is more powerful than the before?

Ledious
02-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Yes and no. You can switch between cannons which means they all have to be capable of being use just as effective as the other canons, however they can be used for different things. We were thinking along the lines of; one the cannons stuns or one of them siphons health, things like that.
But, the primary weapons such as machine guns and missiles that use different buttons to fire than the cannons use, have permanent upgrades (3 for each).

Markus. D
02-24-2009, 08:44 AM
That's an extremely good idea Ledious.

also, the scenery is looking awesome! is there a site or wiki yet? (I'd like to keep track of it).

How about a cannon, one that shoots a slower, slightly larger missile (dealing the same damage on direct hit?)... but leaves a sort of Vapor (Gas, Miasma etc) substance that lingers and deals low damage over time to things that enter it? Maybe Nano-Tech!?

Ledious
02-24-2009, 07:12 PM
That's an extremely good idea Ledious.

also, the scenery is looking awesome! is there a site or wiki yet? (I'd like to keep track of it).

How about a cannon, one that shoots a slower, slightly larger missile (dealing the same damage on direct hit?)... but leaves a sort of Vapor (Gas, Miasma etc) substance that lingers and deals low damage over time to things that enter it? Maybe Nano-Tech!?
Thanks Tsukasa :)
No unfortunately. We started working on the design of the main public site: http://fc53.deviantart.com/fs32/f/2008/210/7/8/Unfinnished_Soulfire_Soft_web__by_ledious.png
But we have been too busy with Project Xeon to get it finished.
however, I will be updating this thread regularly with new info and teasers as we get closer to the release date.

By the way, I like that continuous damage Idea, I may be able to implement something like that fairly easily. Any other suggestions? Maybe whats your favorite video game weapon?