PDA

View Full Version : Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon!!!

Evastio
12-20-2008, 03:13 AM
Anyone got their hands on this game yet? It's a remake of the first Fire Emblem, the one that has Marth in it.

I'm really enjoying it. I'm liking the new features like the prologue tutorial, extra characters, side quests (which give you extra characters) that are accessible if you don't have many characters on your team, and the class swapping system (which I haven't used yet since I plan to stay as close as I can to the original on my first run-through). Basically the class swapping system allows you to change your character's classes like from Mage to Cavalier, Archer to Curate, and other things.

Friend Code List

ljkkjlcm9: 373849838910
Evastio: 412503737334
Creeping Shadow: 442568117671

JKTrix
12-20-2008, 05:34 AM
It's not out in the US until February. So enjoy it, you European folks.

I unfortunately won't be joining you once February rolls around. February is surprisingly busy as far as game releases go.

XxSephirothxX
12-20-2008, 05:46 AM
I'll definitely pick it up once it's available in the US. It's a strange and confusing thing when Europe gets http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif first.

ljkkjlcm9
12-21-2008, 02:38 AM
Yeah, definitely getting this when it hits state side.

THE JACKEL

Jiro
12-21-2008, 03:36 AM
Would like to pick this up, but who knows if it'll see an Aus release. Been missing a bit of FE action lately

Creeping Shadow
12-25-2008, 09:11 PM
This hasn't come to the US yet.:(

Nice to hear you got your hands on it Evastio.

Evastio
12-28-2008, 03:33 AM
I guess I'll try to explain the game for those of you who haven't played it.

There's four prologue tutorial chapters (which help but don't really explain things in depth as much as FE 7 or 8 do). In one of the chapters you have to sacrifice your characters in order to let the Marth and the others escape. It's a story event where you bring a character to a fort, they dress up as Marth, and run away, getting killed after the chapter ends. They've added a new Cavalier named Frey though so I guess it kind of implies that he was the one sacrificed in the original Fire Emblem.

There's also extra chapters and characters you can get if you have less than 15 characters (or 5, or you killed Tiki and don't have the Falchion) at certain points. I haven't done any extra chapters or gotten any extra characters though, except for Norne the Archer. I resetted when I got her though since I thought Gordin would be with me even after he died in the prologue but he didn't show up.

There's also the reclass system, which allows you to change characters from Clerics to Pegasus Knights and Fighters to Dark Mages (a new class that wasn't in the original, but they're basically just Mages since they still use Anima magic like Fire and Thunder since they didn't add Dark or Holy Magic). The characters' stats also change according to the classes they're changed to. Note that there are restrictions such as Hunters being unable to change to Archers and males unable to be changed into Pegasus Knights. Marth, Thieves, Manakeets (or Mamkuts), and Ballisticians can't change classes either. Also, they've added classes from the other Fire Emblem games like Berserkers, Warriors, etc. to Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, which'll hopefully make people stop thinking that characters like Barst and Darros are useless. Myrmidons have also been added. Nabarl and Radd have been changed from Mercenaries from the NES/SNES Version, to Myrmidons to the DS Version. Astria and Samson are both still Heroes and not Swordmasters though.

As for the gameplay, I feel it's easier compared to Fire Emblem for the SNES. Shiida now comes equipped with a Wing Spear which is good against Armored and Mounted Units. You can now buy and sell things in the preparations menu as well as use stat boosting and upgrading items. Speaking of upgrading items, there's only one now which is the Master Seal. I'm assuming they did that because you could cheat with the items like change a Cleric to a Pegasus Knight, upgrade them with the Elysian Whip, then change them to a Bishop, basically using an Elysian Whip to upgrade your Cleric into a Bishop. All of the unique class upgrading items are now Master Seals, so don't worry about class upgrading items being rarer now. There's also Bullions now (think Gems from the previous Fire Emblem Games) which come in Small, Large, and Extra Large Sizes, the Small one selling for 10000 Gold and the Extra Large for 30000, which really helps out with money. There's also the grid system with blue squares showing where you can move, red showing where you can attack, etc. The battle window now shows your hit percentage and the damage you and the enemy will deal. There are also some other changes like Ellis being unpromoted, Samson being at level 10 instead of level 1, Hammerne having 12 castings instead of 3, the Falchion having more attack power, and unpromotable units being able to reach level 30. Marth can also talk to newly recruited units if he wasn't the one who recruited them.

There's also new bonus features like the story viewer, (it shows all cutscenes, character conversations, etc. There's also separate cutscenes to view for each character you can sacrifice in the prologue, so it's best to choose someone different every time if you're a completist) music player, Wi-Fi Battling, Wi-Fi character loaning, and Wi-Fi shops (haven't accessed any of the Wi-Fi stuff). Overall, it's a really great game for both newcomers and veterans of the Fire Emblem series and the upgraded graphics, upgraded soundtracks, new soundtracks, and all of the new content make it a welcome addition to any DS game library.

Sheesh, I'm starting to sound like a game reviewer. Also, I'm guessing it doesn't have Fire Emblem 3 included since Nyna actually proposes to and marries Hardin in the end, which would result in Hardin not falling for Gharnef's trap, stopping the whole conflict that FE3 revolved around.

ljkkjlcm9
12-28-2008, 03:52 AM
I don't want someone to die!

THE JACKEL

Dr. Acula
01-02-2009, 08:29 AM
I want this.:(

Jiro
01-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Having to kill a character makes me cry, I've never lost a man yet (or I've tried again)! Still, it sounds quite great and I'll definitely check it out if I can find it :)

Evastio
01-07-2009, 03:01 AM
Well, if you guys are really adamant on not sacrificing characters in the prologue, there's only two ways I know around it. You can kill Gordin since he's considered an enemy (unless Marth talks to him), though I guess that kind of means you sacrifice Gordin, and you'll be without a bow user until the second chapter (unless you get Norne). Or you could play hard mode and skip the prologue altogether. Frey won't be there though so that kind of means he got sacrificed. Also, Hard Mode on Fire Emblem games is brutal since the enemies are so much stronger than you. There's different Hard Mode difficulty levels though so I guess you could choose one of the easier difficulties.

I've also finished my second playthrough, where I didn't stay to the original since I used the Reclass system, I used every character that wasn't in the original, and I completed all of the sidequest chapters (too bad you have to kill off a lot of your characters to access them).

I guess I'll explain Reclassing more. Basically, characters that are class changeable belong in either two groups, the Pirate-Mercenary-Fighter-Dark Mage-Knight-Hunter Group or the Cavalier-Pegasus Knight-Archer-Mage-Cleric-Myrmidon Group (the upgraded versions of those classes are also in those groups). Cavaliers are specifics to males and Pegasus Knights to females (don't ask how Medea is an exception to that since I don't know either). Any class that can change classes are restricted to changing into classes in their group, so a Mage can change to a Cleric, but not a dark mage. You're probably also wondering how fighting classes are when they change to magic classes. From my experience, they're okay, but their magic stat is quite low and their strength is usually higher than their magic, despite being magic casters. You kind of have no choice but to make one of your physical fighters a dark mage though (unless you're willing to kill off a bunch of your characters to do the side quests so you can get one that's already upgraded). I don't there's any problems making a Mage into a Cleric though or anything like that. I changed one of my Knights into a Pirate and he turned out great so I'd assume it's the same for magic classes. Also, I'd highly recommend against changing Shiida into anything else. Her being a Pegasus Knight makes it really easy reaching recruitable enemies and converting them before they reach your characters (and she converts a lot of characters). She also has the Wing Spear which is powerful and usable only by her, and she can't use it as any other class (unless you cheat and make her a Knight or something).

Also, they've added travelling mercenaries to the game (don't confuse these with the Sword fighting mercenaries). If too many of your characters die, you'll get some new characters that will join you temporarily to make up for not having many characters. They don't have any personalities or faces for that matter. They basically have the generic enemy picture for their face picture, except they're not enemies. I don't know when they leave though since I killed them off, wanting to access the gaiden chapters. They come with weapons equipped on them and they get stronger the farther you are into the game. I wouldn't recommend using stat boosting items or Master Seals on them since they'll leave anyways. I haven't seen them leave but one of the houses I visited told me about the travelling mercenaries, not knowing what he was talking about until my second playthrough.

Anyways, regarding the new characters (that have faces and don't leave you) there's Frey, Norne, Athena, Horace, Etzel, Ymir, and Nagi. Frey is a typical level 1 Cavalier that you get near the start (no need to kill off people to get him, though technically he is the one that gets killed in the original), having higher strength than Abel and Kain, though Kain has the highest luck and Abel skill. Norne you get if you complete all the prologue chapters with four or less characters. Compared to Gordin, she gets more speed but Gordin gets more defense. They're both good archers though. Athena eez vun of the few (decides to stop it with the French accent, though she does speak with one and makes Marth talk with one at one point) sidequest characters that you can get that aren't promoted. She's a good Myrmidon, though I don't know how she compares with the others like Nabarl and Radd. Horace (General), Etzel (Sorceror), and Ymir (Warrior), though they're all promoted already have decent stats, though levelling their pre-promoted forms at level 20 then promoting them will probably get you better characters stat-wise (I tried it with Draug and Barst on my first run-through). They can all still hold their own in battle though, and kill off enemies as efficiently and successfully as non pre-promoted characters, and take and evade attacks. I'd at least give Etzel some consideration seeing how he's the only Sorceror you get in the game. Even if you change someone into a Sorceror, their magic stat will be low since you always have to change someone from a physical fighting class to a Dark Mage/Sorceror. Nagi you get at the last chapter if you don't have both Chiki or the Falchion after finishing Chapter 24. She's a level 15 Manakeet who starts with a Divine Stone (enabling her to kill Medeus in two shots). She's a very good character, though getting her means you won't get Gotoh, which sucks but I guess is a fair tradeoff.

So I guess I've explained everything you're all curious about. Feel free to ask me any more questions.

ShunNakamura
01-07-2009, 04:03 AM
I actually sat down and played with growth rates and average stats and that sort of deal(I usually do with this kind of game).

Frey is friggin' awesome. His average stat total at max level is greater than any other character I bothered checking.

Anyways Serenes Forest (http://serenesforest.net/fe11/char_growth_s.html) is a nice place to check growth rates. And the Average stats (http://serenesforest.net/fe11/average/) for various characters at base classes are listed there.

Athena is kinda guh when compared to Nabarl.
NameHPStrMaSklSpdLukDefResAthena7525 0 40502510  0 Nabarl9030 040504010 0

The numbers represent the chance of a stat gain on level up.

And Frey is just awesome(and he looks cool too).
NameHPStrMaSklSpdLukDefResAbel6540 0 50502520  0 Frey8035 055554520 0Cain7535 050504020 0

Norne vs Gordin
NameHPStrMaSklSpdLukDefResNorne6025 0 40553020  0 Gordin6020 040354030 0

Gordin has a LOT of defense. That is the same as the first knight you get and is a match for Draug!

However if you want the most broken characters ever!
NameHPStrMaSklSpdLukDefResWolf160100 0 85855065  0 Sedgar16080 095853085 0
Can you say 'thank goodness they start pre-promoted and thus have only half as many level ups'?

Starting stats, levels, and stat caps of course effect how much you ending stats are, so a good growth doesn't always equal good stats(Frey though starts at level 1, has decent starting stats(not great though), and as a cavalier has fairly high stat caps; so in the end he ends up with really high stat totals unless you get RNG screwed with him).

ljkkjlcm9
01-07-2009, 08:44 PM
I want this game, but I have Disgaea DS, and that Disgaea is like a lifetime committment. So I'm not sure when I'll get this even when it is available.

THE JACKEL

Evastio
01-13-2009, 04:10 AM
I was wondering, has anyone gotten a Falcoknight using an Elysian Whip bought from the Wi-Fi stores? I haven't been able to do that myself and I'm curious as to how Falcoknights' stats compare to Dracoknights.

ShunNakamura
01-15-2009, 03:56 PM
No luck on my side for a whip.

However, Serenes Forest has a growth chart here. (http://serenesforest.net/fe11/class_growth.html)

It really looks to be in favor of the Dracoknight. However, if you check their max stats here (http://serenesforest.net/fe11/cap.html). You'll notice the Falcon Knight has higher caps in several stats. Characters with very high growth on their own could find the Falcon Knight as more handy. And if you look here (http://serenesforest.net/fe11/promo.html) you see the gains from promotions.

Evastio
02-17-2009, 11:10 PM
The Official Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon Site (http://www.fire-emblem.com/shadowdragon/index.html) is now up and running.

It'd be awesome having Wi-Fi battles and trading characters with you guys. :D

Vermachtnis
02-17-2009, 11:38 PM
My friend picked this up today. I've never been big into Fire Emblem, but he loves it and has been trying to get me to play. But I'm not a big fan of characters dieing permanently.

ljkkjlcm9
02-18-2009, 01:01 PM
I picked this up yesterday, and will probably start playing it later today after I finish my collegiate work.

the online store sells stuff depending on what time of the month it is. Like certain items are available the first week of the month, another the second week... ect.

However there is the Unique Elysian whip available on a day that ends with "1" which you can use to promote to a class otherwise unreachable. I think it's the falco-knight.

THE JACKAL

Evastio
02-25-2009, 03:14 AM
I got an Elysian Whip 3 days ago. :D

I tested it out on Caeda (I still prefer her name as Sheeda or Shiida). I'd say Falcoknights in Shadow Dragon are much like the GBA Versions: fast, high resistance, good movement, and more evasive than defensive. I guess you'll prefer them over Dracoknights if you liked Falcoknights over Wyvern Lords in the GBA Versions.

Also, we should exchange friend codes sometime. We'll be able to have Wi-Fi matches (I'll be looking forward to facing your teams) and we can also lend out units (you'll sure have fun using my powerful Vyland or Radd who I trained from level 1, once I've trained them anyways. It'll also be fun seeing what your guys' characters are like).

I haven't really explained loaning units so here you go: loaned units don't actually leave your game when you upload them. They stay on your game and your friends can receive them and put them on their team. The loaned character will overwrite the existing character (eg: your level 1 Vyland will be replaced by my Vyland who is a paladin, at least once I'm done training him on my second sidequest run-through file). You can only use one loan per file though. The game's developers said so themselves that it's mainly for helping out friends who are stuck, though it can also be used to try out other people's characters. Too bad you can't loan out the sidequest characters like Etzel and Ymir. I was hoping that character loans would make it possible to use them without killing off practically everyone.

I'm not sure how it works completely, so feel free to correct me if anything that I said about loaning is wrong.

ljkkjlcm9
02-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Friend Code?
Sure!

Jackel: 373849838910

My Cain I made into a myrmidon/swordmaster, my Abel will remain a cavalier/paladin, my Frey is going from cavalier-> Dracoknight

The only other person I have changed class is Cord, to a Pirate/Beserker, cause he had the best growth rates of all the axe users.

I've already determined my favorite units for the entire game and the corresponding classes (in order of appearance)
Marth: Lord
Frey: DracoKnight (re-class)
Abel: Paladin
Cain: Sword Master (re-class)
Draug: General
Shiida: Falcon Knight (Elysian whip)
Ogma: Hero
Cord: Beserker (re-class)
Julian: Thief
Nabarl: Sword Master
Merric: Sage
Wolf: General (re-class)
Sedgar: Hero (re-class)
Maria: Sage (re-class)
Linde: Sage
Beck: Ballistician
Radd: Sword Master
Xane: Freelancer
Tiki: Manakete

My Draug isn't turning out too well right now, so I may end up ditching him. Considering I have 20 people on my list, and you never need more than 15, and actually need 15 or less to do the special chapters... then I may very well cut him from the list on a later play through.

Side Note: To get the final bonus chapter (24x), you just need to NOT have Tiki and NOT have the Real Falchion. What I plan on doing my first play through, in which I will have everyone at the end, is during chapter 24 have Tiki die CARRYING the Falchion. At the end of the bonus chapter you get both the fake and real Falchion. Then using the staff Aum recovered during chapter 24, revive Tiki!

THE JACKEL

Evastio
02-28-2009, 03:52 AM
I guess I'll post my team for my second "sticking to the original" run-through. Everyone is their promoted original class (if they have a promotion) unless stated:

Marth
Caeda (Falcoknight since it's more like a Pegasus Knight than a Dracoknight is)
Cain
Abel
Gordin
Draug
Ogma
Barst
Darros
Lena
Julian
Nabarl
Merric
Xane
Tiki
(insert super secret character here that I plan to suprise people with on Wi-Fi battles, and it's NOT Gotoh)

I used Hardin and Wolf in my very first run through of the DS Version (because they both look cool. Hardin's also got an awesome turban). I decided against it for my second "true to the original" run-through since using Hardin ended leaving Cain and Abel underlevelled while Wolf I didn't know was already promoted. I know he's supposedly overpowered along with Sedgar but I find it more satisfying to level up characters from scratch, rather than using them when they're upgraded. I also figured three bow users were enough (Gordin, Draug, and Barst).

For side quest run throughs I totally abuse the characters that weren't in the original and use the reclass system. I also use those characters that you get quite late and/or underlevelled that no one would probably use (Est, Macellan, etc.). Vyland as a Bishop was a very bad idea (he still had higher strength than magic). Radd as a sage was somewhat okay since he had 12 magic (though he also had 7 strength). Though Roger as a berserker I had no problems with. Est as a Bishop I can't remember for sure but I know she was a better Bishop than Vyland.

Moral of the Story: Don't switch back and forth between fighting and magic classes!!

It might be worth it making an exception for sword users who you want to give a high magic stat to, strengthening their power with the Levin Sword...

You sure like Swordmasters don't you ljkkjlcm9? Personally my favourites would be Heroes (who use swords and axes, which are two of my favourite weapons) and Generals (their insane defense makes them really good for stalling reinforcements, without taking much damage in most cases).

ljkkjlcm9
02-28-2009, 04:51 AM
I love Swordmasters, and fact is they're one of the best classes in any Fire Emblem game. High evasion, high hit %, and high crit rate. Plus raising Cain as a Cavalier til 20 gives him an extra boost in defense.
Hero's are a good second in my book, but I completely hate Generals. I'm all about Speed, considering it's one of the most important stats in the game.

I've made a newer more powerful team now though. Cut a few people, and a few replacements here or there. I'm really going to take the time with this team and make sure they all turn out well.

THE JACKEL

Evastio
03-06-2009, 04:23 AM
My friend code is 412503737334.

I'm thinking we should try out loaning first since our teams most likely won't be equal in terms of levels (resulting in unfair Wi-Fi matches) unless we all defeated the game. I'll probably loan out Darros and my Wi-Fi-battle-supersecret-weapon since most people probably wouldn't have levelled up those two. Once I've finished my >15 run-through I'll be able to loan out more uncommonly used characters like Vyland, Caesar, Radd, Dolph, Thomas, and the like.

Evastio
03-11-2009, 02:49 AM
Since we now have 3 EoFFers Friend Codes for Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon I decided to keep a list of FESD Friend Codes in the first post.

So if you've got the game and are interested in going on Wi-Fi with other people, post your friend code here or PM me with it and I'll gladly add you on the list.

ljkkjlcm9
03-13-2009, 11:40 PM
I've added both friend codes, and uploaded two characters I feel are probably lesser used, both female! The first one is lesser used, and used even less in the job she is! But with some good level manipulation, I managed to make her pretty awesome!

THE JACKEL

Evastio
03-17-2009, 04:45 AM
I got Ogma, Minerva, Maria, and someone else I can't remember from you ljkkjlcm9. They were all level 20 and every one of their weapon skills were maxed out (even things like Maria's axe level which I found weird).

I've got Elice, Dolph, Caesar, and two more up for loaning. Yeah, Elice was my secret Wi-Fi battle weapon since almost no one uses or trains her. Aum staves don't work on Wi-Fi so I figured there's no point in hiding the fact I'm using her. I promoted her as a level 20 Cleric and she's at level 10 with a B level in tomes (C as a loan unit, B on Wi-Fi since I used an Arms Scroll). I decided to use her for my own reasons like her being a major story character, sacrificing herself as a hostage to save Marth and his allies. It kind of feels wrong not using her, at least it does to me.

ljkkjlcm9
03-18-2009, 12:45 PM
I arena abuse mostly for money, so even after a character is maxed out! lol, but I don't know why maria's axe level would be maxed out. Though I tried her as a dracoknight for a little while, just for the growths, I didn't think I used the axe that much... That's weird! :eek:

Elice has some of the best growths in the game! She just comes late so most people don't bother with her.

THE JACKAL

Evastio
03-20-2009, 01:56 AM
I think all Loan Units have their level and weapon levels maxed out. Are my Loan Units also at level 20 with weapon level A in everything?

ljkkjlcm9
03-20-2009, 03:44 AM
I am pretty sure they're not at level 20, but I haven't really looked at the weapon levels. I know my characters were level 20, I spent hours in the arena making them that way and getting money to make some nice forged weaponry!

THE JACKEL

Evastio
04-03-2009, 04:52 AM
For those of you who are interested in seeing Official Art and Fan Art of the characters Nintendo has a site (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/ankoku_bk/museum/index.html#aritia) with submitted fan art as well as official art (it's in the special section near the bottom of the page). They recently put up Official Art of the seven new characters (Frey, Norne, Athena, Horace, Etzel, Ymir, and Nagi).