PDA

View Full Version : Finally, some screenshots actually worth looking at!

Dreddz
12-20-2008, 09:09 PM
http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/media/scans/v-jump/23.jpg
http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/media/scans/v-jump/21.jpg
http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/media/scans/v-jump/22.jpg

I can sort of see where they are going with the battle system although just a tiny clip of footage would help a ton. Still looks to be shaping up nicely.

sdm42393
12-21-2008, 03:54 AM
Link to the article, not the images please or the game will never come out.

Wolf Kanno
12-21-2008, 04:15 AM
V-Jump: New Final Fantasy XIII Gameplay Screenshots - Final Fantasy XIII: News, Trailers & Screens ~ Final Fantasy-XIII.net (http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/2008/12/20/v-jump-new-final-fantasy-xiii-gameplay-screenshots.html)

Hope this helps. :cool:

Encounters look like a cross between Xenosaga and the original Chrono Trigger. Something I'm not going to complain about. The new girl seen in the TGS trailers finally has a name, Oerba Dia Vanille.

sdm42393
12-21-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm still iffy on the battle system :P
But I can't really judge what I haven't played...

Jessweeee♪
12-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Oerba, eh?

Vivisteiner
12-23-2008, 12:12 AM
Whoever came up with that name deserves a medal.

You know the sort - the kind which dissolve to form acid when you wear them in the shower.

I'll wait till I get something more tangible before I judge the battle system. Stay tuned folks.

Cloudane
12-23-2008, 03:40 PM
That looks suspiciously like a battle screen, but with warnings before you go bumping into enemies, perhaps CT style. REJOICE! Could this possibly be a compromise between the random battle hell of previous FFs and the dull "semi automated hack'n'slash"-cum-MMORPG style of World of Ivalice.

BTW, cross reference of Official Naming vs My Naming

Final Fantasy I = Final Fantasy I
... etc etc ...
Final Fantasy X = Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2 = Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XI = Final Fantasy XI (benefit of the doubt)
Lost Odyssey = Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XII = World of Ivalice (or Squarecraft)

Hopefully FFXIII will be worthy of its official title this time. I'm certainly very excited for it so far, a lot more excited than I was at the XII scans, so that's a good sign.

Look, they even have the token Selphie/Rikku/DoCYuffie character.

Wolf Kanno
12-23-2008, 06:50 PM

Oh joy, whatever would we do if we didn't have the token "perky girl" who has appeared in the same damn 4 games under a different name. :rolleyes2

God knows my entire FF experience is ruined if I don't have the same party formula that has existed in half the franchise. :rolleyes2

Seriously though, I do not want the creators of XIII to make good on their claim of XIII being like X. We've had enough of that crappy game...

LunarWeaver
12-23-2008, 07:39 PM
But I love X :bigsmile: But I love you too, Kanno! Marriage is in order. Our differences will be like pleasant gravity.

The shots of the battle system are cool. I really can't wait to see it in action, get some real feel for it. I'm pretty accepting of the new systems as they come along. I'm sure I'll like it.

skillzboy4
12-23-2008, 07:52 PM

Oh joy, whatever would we do if we didn't have the token "perky girl" who has appeared in the same damn 4 games under a different name. :rolleyes2

God knows my entire FF experience is ruined if I don't have the same party formula that has existed in half the franchise. :rolleyes2

Seriously though, I do not want the creators of XIII to make good on their claim of XIII being like X. We've had enough of that crappy game...

You pest... Final fantasy X was arguably the best final fantasy of all time... maybe on the same level as FF VII and FF IV... final fantasy X will live on forever.

trancekuja
12-23-2008, 08:03 PM
You can argue as long as you want but the best games of the FF series are : FF I , FF II , FF III ,FF IV , FF V , FF VI , FF VII , FF VIII , FF IX , FF X & FF XII...:):):)

Wolf Kanno
12-23-2008, 10:04 PM
But I love X :bigsmile: But I love you too, Kanno! Marriage is in order. Our differences will be like pleasant gravity.

The shots of the battle system are cool. I really can't wait to see it in action, get some real feel for it. I'm pretty accepting of the new systems as they come along. I'm sure I'll like it.

I'll marry you Noctiluca, but you must promise not to speak of X around me and in exchange I'll allow you to keep your secret shrine of Tidus :D If you mention Yuna, the marriage is off I'm afraid...:mad:

You pest... Final fantasy X was arguably the best final fantasy of all time... maybe on the same level as FF VII and FF IV... final fantasy X will live on forever.

Pest? I prefer the term "Professional Troll" thank you. *Hands business card then returns to his home under the bridge*

I don't consider X that great of a game and its still the only FF I learn to dislike more and more each time I play it. It just had so many flaws and was such a lackluster and boring game for me. To me, its the game that made SE lose its edge when it came to being on the forefront of what an RPG should be. Its still the weakest SE game for PS2 and weakest in the series for me.

You can argue as long as you want but the best games of the FF series are : FF I , FF II , FF III ,FF IV , FF V , FF VI , FF VII , FF VIII , FF IX , FF X & FF XII...:):):)

This man speaks the truth... somewhat... knock X out and replace it with XI and we'll talk. ;)

skillzboy4
12-23-2008, 10:43 PM
^^^^^^ hahaah...

Sqaure soft became Square Enix on April 1, 2003... and let's see hmm.. Final fantasy X was released in 2001??.. do your research before you start talking.. and i'll end it here.. as for final fantasy XIII scans look great... i hope it does end up being like X.

Jessweeee♪
12-23-2008, 10:58 PM

Wait...they said that...? OH MY GOD THIS GAME JUST GOT A MILLION TIMES COOLER FOR ME :hyper:

Levian
12-24-2008, 01:05 AM
Might be cool. At least it now looks less like a sequel to The Matrix. Those old pictures really scared me.

tidus_rox
12-24-2008, 02:14 AM
:)
*in a cheering tune*
Go Final Fantasy, Go Final Fantasy!! WOOOOT! :)
Ahhh, those new trailers really helped too!
Sooo reasuring! At the end it says "Coming in 2009!" YAY!

Wolf Kanno
12-24-2008, 06:40 AM
^^^^^^ hahaah...

Sqaure soft became Square Enix on April 1, 2003... and let's see hmm.. Final fantasy X was released in 2001??.. do your research before you start talking.. and i'll end it here.. as for final fantasy XIII scans look great... i hope it does end up being like X.

And the difference between Squaresoft then and Square-Enix now in regards to the FF development team is?

I know my history but I also know my FF design teams ;)

Cloudane
12-25-2008, 01:38 AM

This :)

FFVII was my favourite of all time until X came out, a truly amazing story and game.

I kind of had my tongue in cheek with the perky girl thing. There are lots of things that I think "make" Final Fantasy, many of which they destroyed/omitted in XII, but the irritating Selphie type character isn't one of them. It's just better to laugh at the sight of the latest one than to cry.

Jessweeee♪
12-25-2008, 04:14 AM
A little off topic, but if you ask me Selphie seemed to me kinda different from the other perky girls :p

Hazzard
12-25-2008, 10:40 AM
A little off topic, but if you ask me Selphie seemed to me kinda different from the other perky girls :p

I always considered her as the archetypal spunky FF girl. She just seemed to of set the mark for me.

Cloudane
12-25-2008, 04:31 PM
I agree, she was the original. She was "different" though, where "different" means mentally retarded :p

Wolf Kanno
12-27-2008, 05:43 AM

This :)

FFVII was my favourite of all time until X came out, a truly amazing story and game.

I kind of had my tongue in cheek with the perky girl thing. There are lots of things that I think "make" Final Fantasy, many of which they destroyed/omitted in XII, but the irritating Selphie type character isn't one of them. It's just better to laugh at the sight of the latest one than to cry.

You know, my only problem with this is that no one has yet to explain thoroughly what this "lacking quality" was...

Anyway, as for the "perky girl". I hate this archtype, second only to the main heroine archtype. It was okay in VI cause Relm played off Strago and it was funny; but mostly cause the two didn't have enormous amounts of screen time. Yuffie is my second most hated character in the series behind Yuna, Selphie was ok but once again its because she has not so much screen time and luckily Squall generally reflects my opinion of the situation, Eiko was obnoxious and luckily can be ignored, Rikku is obnoxious and annoying (though I do like her better in X-2 surprisingly), and Penelo... really doesn't fit the bill but Vaan is pretty close and yes he's the least likable cast member in that game too.

So what I'm saying is please SE, please stop using the same damn team archtype from the last couple of games. XII was refreshing, lets keep it going.

Cloudane
12-28-2008, 10:41 AM
So what I'm saying is please SE, please stop using the same damn team archtype from the last couple of games. XII was refreshing, lets keep it going.

So far we know of at least Cross Dress Cloud and Selphie 2.0. So I wouldn't hold your breath on that one :D

Wolf Kanno
12-29-2008, 04:10 AM
You forgot "grown up KH2" Seifer :D

Am I the only one who has noticed that Snow looks like Seifer minus the scar and sporting longer hair. Its not even his face and color coordination, the jacket is spot on only missing the sword emblem.

Jessweeee♪
01-01-2009, 10:16 PM
I think it's just the clothes and hair color...I don't see that many similarities with the face. Maybe we need another comparison chart thing!

Seifer looks too much like a younger Rufus for me to be bothered by it anyway :p

Cyric
01-01-2009, 10:58 PM
That red-head is CUTE!

...and yes, I realize she has the same hairstyle as the Wendy's girl, but that still doesn't bother me...:p

And I'm getting the feeling like that "Lightning" girl is gonna be like a female version of Squall from FF8. The red-head being more like Selphie. :)

Croyles
01-02-2009, 03:45 PM
I think FFXIII would be perfect if:
The story was as mature as FFXII, but a lot more interesting (i.e. actual character development)
A mix between FFXIIs and previous battle systems. I dont want automated battling, but ive also grown tired of the 'shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhrum - dededadadededada' oh look its a battle....
NO STARWARS MUSIC! AND GET RID OF THE CLONETROOPERS!
Seriously, the music from the trailers reminds me way too much of FFXII and star wars. FFXIIs music wasnt bad or anything, but it was always only background music, it never really satisfied anything.

Dynast-Kid
01-02-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm excited! Not that I have a PS3 or an XBOX 360, but still!

I really just wanna see the summons! They've been showing teasing little clips in the trailers, and I want more! The summon designs look so captivating! And if i'm looking at the same screenshots as everyone else, I think the battle system looks really interesting! It looks really fast-paced...

And Oerba?...I actually like that!

trancekuja
01-02-2009, 06:44 PM
I would really like to see some summons from past FF's...I miss Ramuh , Ifrit , Odin and company...

Dynast-Kid
01-02-2009, 06:46 PM
I would really like to see some summons from past FF's...I miss Ramuh , Ifrit , Odin and company...

Well, we've already seen Shiva, Ifrit, Carbuncle, and Siren, so...no new ones that we know of.

trancekuja
01-02-2009, 06:48 PM

Well, we've already seen Shiva, Ifrit, Carbuncle, and Siren, so...no new ones that we know of.
Oh , that's great! I'm not up to date it seems...I'm really looking forward to XIII...

Wolf Kanno
01-02-2009, 07:40 PM
I think FFXIII would be perfect if:
The story was as mature as FFXII, but a lot more interesting (i.e. actual character development)
A mix between FFXIIs and previous battle systems. I dont want automated battling, but ive also grown tired of the 'shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhrum - dededadadededada' oh look its a battle....
NO STARWARS MUSIC! AND GET RID OF THE CLONETROOPERS!
Seriously, the music from the trailers reminds me way too much of FFXII and star wars. FFXIIs music wasnt bad or anything, but it was always only background music, it never really satisfied anything.

Well the heavy Star Wars reference stays as the XIII trailers have shown a military troop that looks like the Clone Troops from the prequel Star Wars films.

Story is up in the air but its Nojima so I wouldn't hold my breath, he does campy and soap opera, not deep and mature.

No random encounters, from the looks of things its going to be like Chrono Trigger. Thank god and it only took the gaming industry 13 years to figure out they figured it out long ago. :rolleyes2

Music, also doesn't sound promising, but it doesn't sound bad either. I believe they have the same composer for X-2 so get ready for synth pop.

As for the Summons, Ifrit looks nice (as usual) but I don't like Carbuncles' design and I am still deeply bothered by Shiva turning into a motorcycle for Snow to ride on while it does its Iceman thing and created Ice slides for them to ride on. It just sounds so goofy and stupid to me. Course it comes down to the great 3 for me. Leviathan, Odin, and Bahamut. I get the feeling Crisis Core gave us a hint as to what to expect from Odin and Bahamut though as both summons were surprisingly mechanical in that version.

I feel the battle system holds great promise, I just hope the gameplay is difficult enough to warrant full use of it. X had a great battle system that was destroyed by a total lack of challenge. Let's hope XIII doesn't repeat this mistake. I'm against XIII being noob friendly.

Cloudane
01-02-2009, 09:58 PM
They've always sprinkled in Star Wars references a bit, but the amount of sheer duplication here is staggering. I'm fully expecting an "I am your father" moment from the villain at the end.

But anyway, my thoughts on the trailers are in the trailer thread. The scans got me far more excited about the games than the trailers which massively put me off them (especially XIII... FFXII meets Star Wars? NOOOOOO~!!) and I don't know if that's good or bad. Maybe it's good - the scans give a more balanced view of the game itself rather than the "OMG pretty CGI and Advent Children cloning" of the trailers.

Jessweeee♪
01-03-2009, 03:21 AM
They've always sprinkled in Star Wars references a bit, but the amount of sheer duplication here is staggering. I'm fully expecting an "I am your father" moment from the villain at the end.

Square's done that already. Sort of.

:</>D

Wolf Kanno
01-03-2009, 05:04 AM
Square copied Star Wars in FFII and a bit of FFXII, FFX had the whole Darth Vader thing though...

Cloudane
01-04-2009, 03:04 AM
Haha. Yeah, I never made that association when it comes to Sin/Jecht, but then I never really got into the "Sin 'is' Jecht" thing and thus didn't think of Sin as Tidus's father.

It kind of reminded me of "Cloud 'is' a Sephiroth clone". Shoving a person into the core of the evil summoned thingumybob doesn't make that person the evil summoned thingumybob, just like injecting some cells from a person into your body doesn't make you a clone of that person.

I had them both down as translation issues.

Wolf Kanno
01-04-2009, 05:51 AM
I never liked the "Clone" thing in VII cause it was misleading as the process isn't what is commonly thought of as "clones" in popular opinion. I consider the explanation a translation issue as it was poorly explained in the game but I consider the use of "Clones" as a red herring to mislead the player purposely, so the truth would have a greater impact.

I laughed about the Sin/Jecht thing, but at least it got revealed in the beginning instead of towards the end for some more cheap emotion. :rolleyes2

Cloudane
01-04-2009, 10:45 PM
*nod* it was better revealed near the beginning, as it actually gave a kind of subtle depth to Tidus (odd, I know!) with him having to keep his mouth shut about it to Yuna.

Wolf Kanno
01-05-2009, 05:29 AM
Surprisingly enough, despite my dislike of FFX, I do in fact like Tidus. I felt he was one of the few good things to come from the story but he was never a strong enough character to carry the plot for me.