PDA

View Full Version : Tips and Tricks

Miriel
12-21-2008, 06:46 AM
Post 'em if you've got 'em!

A few days ago I discovered how to /follow people even when they're invisible. I'm sorta... in love with following because I'm lazy like that, so this discovery made me super happy.

All you need to do is lock onto the person as a target, and then hit auto-run. And bam! Pseudo-following while invisible! Yay!

If y'all already knew this trick and never mentioned it, I'm gonna be mad. :mad2:

Anyway, mas tips and trips por favor!

Del Murder
12-21-2008, 08:24 AM
If you need spells or low level gear see if it can be bought at an NPC shop because often times it is cheaper there.

Rostum
12-21-2008, 10:02 PM
CTRL+M = Magic list
CTRL+J = Job ability list
CTRL+W = Weapon skill list
CTRL+A = Attack what you have targeted
CTRL+L = Talk to linkshell
CTRL+R = Reply to the tell, keep pressing to cycle through
CTRL+T = Just brings up "/tell" in your chat, have to type name
CTRL+V = Enter first person mode
CTRL+H = Heal
CTRL+N = Deselect / Exit menu

I think that's everything. A lot of people don't know these shortcuts, but they are quite handy in getting to stuff faster if you don't use many macro's. However, I highly advise the use of macros because eventually you'll want to do equipment swapping for certain spells, abilities or weapon skills.

Another thing, research on FFXIclopedia (http://ffxiclopedia.org/) and http:///www.ffxiah.com/ on stuff that drops from enemies, and see what prices are for NPC shops and AH. Sometimes it's better to sell direct to NPC for instant gil.

Lionx
12-22-2008, 12:28 PM
If y'all already knew this trick and never mentioned it, I'm gonna be mad. :mad2:

Start getting angry xDDD

Ultimage
12-22-2008, 01:52 PM
I have a tip for healers, seeing as a WHM friend of mine didn't know about it. Anyone that's ever used a controller probably knows that you can scroll through the party list by pressing up or down on the D-pad. However, what some people don't know is that if you change your keyboard to compact in your settings, you can assign keys to do this. My WHM friend said this has made healing across alliance or even in the same party a lot easier. Also, if you use <stpc> < stpc> (edit: I had to put the space to make it work) in <stpc> your healing macros instead of just <t>, you could target the mob and heal people without losing your target (useful for me on RDM) or you could keep your target on the tank and heal other people.</t></stpc></stpc>

Beyond
01-02-2009, 12:21 AM
If you're still using "stpc" in a party situation, you need to follow updates better. "stpt" and "stal" [iirc] were introduced recently and have the function of cutting down your stpc targets to just those players in your party or alliance, respectively.

I prefer using p0 - p5 macros on WHM, personally. I don't exactly have a massive need for any other macros, except maybe Repose. RDM is a whole different ball park though, I'd imagine.

If you need spells or low level gear see if it can be bought at an NPC shop because often times it is cheaper there.
Conversely, make sure you check the AH before buying stuff from an NPC. There's at least one case of some armour that you can save almost a massive 4 million gil by buying on the AH. That's an extreme example, sure, but it still pays to check.

ScottNUMBERS
01-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Using one macros for two different gear changes. For example:

/equip body "Haubergeon"
/equip body "Earth doublet"
/equip ring1 "Unyeilding ring"
/equip ring1 "Smiloden Ring +1"

Let's say you have Haubergeon and Unyeilding ring equiped, by using all of the above commands in one macro you can swap these to Earth doublet and Smiloden Ring +1. Then once you realised you made this terrible mistake, you can swap them back again using the same macro.

Flying Mullet
01-12-2009, 05:46 PM
I used to always take advantage of this when I played. I would buy low level black and white spells from the shops and put them up on the AH and make 2-3 times the cost in revenue.

So, yeah, I guess that's a tip if it still works and people don't know about it. *shrug*

trancekuja
01-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Sorry if this isn't the right thread to post this , but I figured since you're already talking about FF XI you would be kind enough to help me...
I have never been a MMORPG fan , and never played any game of that genre. So I was pretty disappointed when XI came out. Anyway , to cut to the chase...Yesterday , I was passing by the local game shop and saw that they are selling XI at a ridiculous price - about 5$. Since I only recently got a flat rate internet I figured I'd give it a try. ...but only because it has FF in its name.

So , I wanted to ask you if a 2mbit connection is enough to play a MMORPG or is it too weak? Should I forget about it , concentrate on single-play RPG's and let someone else buy it?

Del Murder
01-12-2009, 07:17 PM
I think it will be enough, but keep in mind that you will have to pay a monthly fee if you want to play.

Roogle
01-12-2009, 09:19 PM
The only requirement to play Final Fantasy XI is a connection speed equal to or faster than dial-up. If your connection speed is faster than that, you are fine and have nothing to worry about.

trancekuja
01-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Ok , thank you all:)

Beyond
01-13-2009, 11:54 AM
I dunno, if you're not counting updates, then dial-up is plenty fast enough.

Flying Mullet
01-13-2009, 01:59 PM
56k is the recommended minimum internet connection speed.

Rostum
01-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Yes, we just established that, Mullet. But good luck downloading all those updates on a 56k connection.

Flying Mullet
01-13-2009, 09:45 PM
I was offering serious advice. Some people are still on dial-ups slower than 56k so the term dial-up is relative.

Beyond
01-15-2009, 11:54 PM
Eh, I was on dialup when I first started playing and updates only took 15 hours. I'm on broadband now and they still take 15 hours.

Lionx
01-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Eh, I was on dialup when I first started playing and updates only took 15 hours. I'm on broadband now and they still take 15 hours.

Your broadband must really suck then...

Roogle
01-17-2009, 12:03 PM
I was offering serious advice. Some people are still on dial-ups slower than 56k so the term dial-up is relative.

It is extremely rare to see a speed lower than 56k used to connect to the Internet these days. The minimum requirement of 56k was much more notable in 2002 than it is today.

Rostum
01-17-2009, 09:44 PM

Oh I agree, I was just saying those updates are going to kill. And it's not just how fast your broadband is, I'm sure SE bottleneck their connection and that's the reason it takes 4-6 hours on a 20mb/sec connection that is closer to their servers than America. ><;

Mirage
01-17-2009, 11:25 PM

Your broadband must really suck then...

More like

a) The routing between his ISP and S-E sucks

b) S-E's servers suck.

I've got a maximum download speed of 3.5 Mbits, and i still sometimes use hours on end to download just a few hundred megabytes worth of data from S-E's update servers. 100 MB should take more like 5 minutes on my connection.

Lionx
01-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Hmm i dont know for sure then, all i know is Comcast for me takes about 1-2 hours more or less. I can understand even maybe...6 hours. But 15 Hours? Rather pay less for 56K because thats what the hours were when i used 56K.