PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Food!

qwertysaur
12-21-2008, 08:35 PM
There is nothing better than a nice not plate of Latkes with a either a dollop of sour cream or some ketchup. Laktes are fried potato pancakes, a traditional holiday food for Channukah. It's funny that almost EVERY Jewish Holiday has it's own food, and they are all delicious!

Rosh Hahanah - Apples & Honey
Sukkot - Harvest Fruits
Chanukah - Jelly Doughnuts & Latkes
Tu'Busvat - Figs and Nuts
Purim - Wine (I'm not kidding. It's a holiday where Jews get drunk :p)
Passover - Matzo & Matzo Ball Soup
Shavuot - blintzes
shabbat - Challah

So whats your favorite holiday food?

Del Murder
12-21-2008, 08:39 PM
qwerty you're Jewish? That's awesome.

My family usually has ham or turkey on Christmas, with the usual sides. Mashed potatoes, corn, etc. Sometimes we throw a curve ball and have ham & turkey sandwiches which is pretty cool.

However this year we are doing something different. Christmas Eve dinner is going to be southwestern style. Tacos, enchiladas, etc. None of us are even from that area so I don't know how it's going to go.

(we're all Italians so I don't know why we don't have an Italian feast but I'm not in charge here)

Tama2
12-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Can I come over Del?

rubah
12-21-2008, 09:00 PM
are blintzes blini? I like those!

Freya
12-21-2008, 09:46 PM
I like cookies. :) I love sugar cookies and so many come out during the holiday. They are snowman shaped and stars and lots of holidayish stuff. And of course I have to eat them with milk ^_^

qwertysaur
12-21-2008, 09:57 PM
are blintzes blini? I like those!Yup. Traditionally on Shavout they are stuffed with cheeses. :p

On Christmas I eat Chinese food XD but this year it overlaps with Chanukkah, so I'll be munching on latkes all week XD. Latkes definatly make qwerty really happy. :love:

Caraliz
12-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Pierogies. The not gross ones with cabbage. :(

I can tolerate ruskie or sometimes mum sneaks me the kind with meat in them. (It's a big no-no to eat meat during Wigilia, but I can't eat seafood :()

And uh... I hate most Wigilia foods, actually. I don't look forward to any of them. Especially not Borscht. Bleghh.

I guess the best part is the Christmas wafer. Now that I can eat.

scrumpleberry
12-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Christmas pigs in blankets except except IRELAND YOU RUINED PIGS YOU'VE SPOILED EVERYTHING

And parsnip snips and rrrroast potatoes.

And satsumas.

Yar
12-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Oh my god I love matzoh on Passover.

Jessweeee♪
12-21-2008, 10:50 PM
I like cookies. :) I love sugar cookies and so many come out during the holiday. They are snowman shaped and stars and lots of holidayish stuff. And of course I have to eat them with milk ^_^

WOO COOKIES

Depression Moon
12-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Oh yeah another reason I love Christmas is because it's like another Thanksgiving only smaller. My favorite foods would have to be corn casserole, sweet potatoes and sweet potato pie, and ham. Oh and my mom can make the best macaroni & cheese in the world.

Denmark
12-21-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm not Jewish but I love latkes. Nom nom nom.

Christmas usually equals ham for me. Which equals deliciousness.

Thanksgiving is, of course, wonderful.

Valentine's Day chocolate? Kind of a stretch for me to receive any, but I do love chocolate.

Halloween is delightfully fattening.

Miriel
12-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Love love love Korean dumpling soup. It's traditional to eat it on the 1st of the New Year to ensure good happy prospects for the coming year.

It's sooo delicious. It's one of those things that's kinda hard to make, so I never get a chance to eat it unless I order it at a restaurant or during New Years when my grandma makes it for my whole family. :)

It beats turkey or ham any day of the week. And I hate that you guys never post any pictures. :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/Picture1-11.png

qwertysaur
12-22-2008, 12:05 AM
My Mom is making Latkes today, so I'll take pictures just for you Miriel :p

Levian
12-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Right now I'm eating Christmas Spaghetti.

Momiji
12-22-2008, 01:00 AM
There is nothing better than a nice not plate of Latkes with a either a dollop of sour cream or some ketchup. Laktes are fried potato pancakes, a traditional holiday food for Channukah. It's funny that almost EVERY Jewish Holiday has it's own food, and they are all delicious!

Rosh Hahanah - Apples & Honey
Sukkot - Harvest Fruits
Chanukah - Jelly Doughnuts & Latkes
Tu'Busvat - Figs and Nuts
Purim - Wine (I'm not kidding. It's a holiday where Jews get drunk :p)
Passover - Matzo & Matzo Ball Soup
Shavuot - blintzes
shabbat - Challah

So whats your favorite holiday food?

I want to try all of those!

All my family makes are incredibly unhealthy fattening foods. Good stuff, but you'll be stuffed after even half of a plate!

EDIT: The stuff Miriel posted looks excellent too.