PDA

View Full Version : Laptop noises

Rye
12-22-2008, 12:58 AM
Everytime I adjust the screen on my laptop, it makes a loud clicky cracky sound. I can adjust it and open it and close it just fine, so I don't think the hinges are going to break or anything, but it's so annoying, and it's a killer to my OCD, because I am a compulsive checker (meaning I have the constant need see if things are working, such as constantly adjusting the screen to check if it still makes the noise, which is bad for me and the computer, I'm sure).

Any suggestions that besides taking the computer to a place/taking it apart? Any good ways to oil the hinges? Are sprays bad because they can get into the computer? Any assurances that this is a normal laptop thing that I just have to live with? I have a Dell Inspiron laptop if that helps.

Help me!

Momiji
12-22-2008, 01:08 AM
I have similar yet unrelated issues. My screen squeaks and is kind of loose. It's annoying.

It's worth mentioning that Ryechu and I have the same model.

Jessweeee♪
12-22-2008, 01:56 AM
I also have this model! Mine doesn't do this, but it's only a few months old :P

I hear something randomly go "clack....click" really loud on the inside, though, sometimes. I think it's coming from just left of the mouse pad thing. It's probably supposed to do that...I just have no clue what it is.

o_O
12-22-2008, 04:03 AM
You all bought Dells, didn't you?

Rye
12-22-2008, 04:06 AM
I don't want the Dell talk! Besides this annoying hinge, this computer has been really great. That's literally the first problem I've had in the time I've had it. =O

Momiji
12-22-2008, 04:16 AM
You all bought Dells, didn't you?

Hush, you. This computer's been quite reliable to me, and all of the negative things that have happened to it were all because of the effects of me using it way too much. I just wanna know how to tighten the screen. xD

rubah
12-22-2008, 04:24 AM
hinge, ram wah wah wah

</unhelpful>

Momiji
12-22-2008, 04:42 AM
Love you too, Allie.

Samuraid
12-22-2008, 05:00 AM
Perhaps the screws that attach the lid hinge to the base have come a bit loose. I've seen it happen on Dell's I've worked on, and it can cause the type of behavior you are describing.

Peegee
12-23-2008, 05:32 PM
The last time I checked all HP/Compaq/Dell laptops and PCs have a three year warrantee on them. For the two of you, is that still available as an option?

Momiji
12-24-2008, 03:42 AM
Perhaps the screws that attach the lid hinge to the base have come a bit loose. I've seen it happen on Dell's I've worked on, and it can cause the type of behavior you are describing.

Well, it's still a little loose, but the squeak was significantly reduced. Works for me. :up: