PDA

View Full Version : I think I got it! The script got switched around, right?

MJN SEIFER
12-22-2008, 10:14 PM
There is a line in FFVII which is always listed as a mistake and/or a translation error because no one can understand what it is meant to mean. However I never understood why, because to me it always made perfect sense. The line in question is this one;

Cloud:...Hmm. That's how you'll fool them.

Aeris:Hmmmmmmm. So that's how you fooled them.

Like I said I always got the meaning, but for the first time I have suddenly realized that there is an error - it's slightly the wrong way 'round isn't it?

Forgive me for acting like I've made the discovery of a century, because that's not how I'm trying to act. I am merly asking if this is the case, was the mistake that parts of Cloud's line should have been Aeris' line and vice verca? It would make sense.

If you don't understand what I mean, I am asking if the line should have gone thus;

Cloud:...Hmm. That's how you fooled them.

Aeris:Hmmmmmmm. So that's how you'll fool them.

Is that what the mistake was?

blackmage_nuke
12-22-2008, 11:37 PM
It would help if you told us where this line is actually said.

Elly
12-23-2008, 08:24 PM
it's used outside of the Honeybee Inn when Cloud enters to get some underware & makeup applied... i prefer the PC version translation better than the nonsensical one thay use on the PSX version...

MJN SEIFER
12-23-2008, 10:38 PM
it's used outside of the Honeybee Inn when Cloud enters to get some underware & makeup applied... i prefer the PC version translation better than the nonsensical one thay use on the PSX version...

I vaguely know the PC version, doesn't Cloud say he's getting something and Aeris accuses him of "making excuses" - personally Ididn't like that as it seamed forced, but that's just my opinion.

Like I said, I never found the PSX version "nonsensical" - I always got what it meant, but I just realized that the reason people didn't get it was that parts of the script where the wrong way 'round.

Do you agree with my correction of the line? (this is for everyone).

I would really like your opinion on it.

Elly
12-24-2008, 11:55 AM
it's true that the lines do sound better juxtaposed, but they still don't make any sense to me, it looks more like an inside joke or something with a lot of info left out wheras the PC version is very straightforward...

PC Version:
Cloud:
"Looks like i need to go inside to complete my disguise."

Aerith:
"...Hmmmm. Sure, Good excuse..."

Cloud:
"See ya!"

see doesn't that sound better and actualy make some sense, i mean what does Cloud mean by Aerith fooling "them" as far as i know Aerith has fooled noone by use of disguise and whom did she fool, see makes no sense without any context to put it in...

MJN SEIFER
12-25-2008, 11:38 PM
What I always thought it meant was how all the men outside are attracted to Aeris, but she isn't to them. I thought that Cloud was joking that Aeris was leading them on to anoy her, and she responded by pointing out that he'd be doing the same thing for real later - that's the impression I got from it.