PDA

View Full Version : So what do you think the Ex means in Exdeaths name?

Wolf Kanno
12-22-2008, 10:33 PM
The name says it all, I just finished a playthrough of FFV and have been wondering if there might be some reasoning behind the Ex in Exdeaths name.

I'm thinking it means Extended as in Extended death or more intentionally "beyond death".

There is also the fact that the Ivalice games have his name translated as Exodus...

Any thoughts, suggestions or blasphemous lies? ;)

Marshall Banana
12-22-2008, 10:38 PM
I prefer "Exodus." =O

arcanedude34
12-22-2008, 10:39 PM
It was supposed to be Exodus.

qwertysaur
12-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Exodus

Exodesusu

Ex-death

The Man
12-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Yeah, it's just a mistranslation of Exodus.

rubah
12-23-2008, 03:44 AM
I'm fine with him being Exdeath, it would be weird to think of him as anything but, now!

Crimson
12-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Because he's into extreme death metal? :confused:

Elpizo
12-23-2008, 12:14 PM
If he were really meant to be Exodus, he would be called as such in the Dissidia scans of him.

Personally, I always thought Exdeath stood for "Exceeding Death", beyond death and such stuff. Not for extreme or any silly stuff like that.

Roogle
12-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Squaresoft researched a possible scenario in releasing Final Fantasy V as Final Fantasy Extreme in North America, so I can understand why some people would think the "Ex" in Exdeath would be for Extreme.

Zeromus_X
12-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Yeah, his name is Exdeath in Dissidia.

Personally I always thought they just named him that cause it sounds cool...kinda cheesy villain name, but it's something I could see myself doing, haha.

The Man
12-24-2008, 12:59 AM
If he were really meant to be Exodus, he would be called as such in the Dissidia scans of him.Not necessarily. It's entirely possible that the people who knew what he was supposed to be called are gone now. Failing that, it's also possible that they simply decided to go with the more well-known name, even if it were a mistranslation.

Elpizo
12-24-2008, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't say so. Terra is Tina, Kefka is Cefca and Exdeath is Exdeath in the Japanese Dissidia scans, which tells me his name is and was supposed to be Exdeath. Just because an Esper is based on Exdeath doesn't mean Exodus has Exdeath's real name. Famfrit is based on Cloud of Darkness, but do we start calling Cloud of Darkness Famfrit because of that? No.

Crimson
12-24-2008, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't say so. Terra is Tina, Kefka is Cefca and Exdeath is Exdeath in the Japanese Dissidia scans, which tells me his name is and was supposed to be Exdeath. Just because an Esper is based on Exdeath doesn't mean Exodus has Exdeath's real name. Famfrit is based on Cloud of Darkness, but do we start calling Cloud of Darkness Famfrit because of that? No.

Exdeath is called Exodus in the original version of FFV

The Man
12-25-2008, 07:19 PM
So they got the FFVI characters right and didn't know about the original FFV characters' names. Idk. It sounds to me like they're just using whatever they were romanised as when the games were originally released in Japan.

Mirage
12-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Bull craps! It is obvious that he used to be dead, but now isn't. Ex Death!

Elpizo
12-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Exdeath is called Exodus in the original version of FFV
Proof?

Unstoppable Pig
12-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Maybe he was Grim Reaper first but then people started using Phoenix Downs so his employer weren´t satisfied anymore and he got fired. Current Death makes pretty lousy job too since every dead characters spirit still comes helping and kicking bad guys asses.

Martyr
12-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Exodus?

After what? The escape of the Jews from Egypt in the Bible?
Or does it simply mean that he is a character who runs away from things?

I don't see how the character relates to anything that has to do with Exodus.

They probably named him Ex-Death because, for all I can tell, that must mean "Alive" (which he is), and even that tritely basic aspect of his character is more relevant than Exodus.

Another possibility is that he is an Ex-Death (the same way somebody might be an Ex-Spouse), which means that he has fallen out of death or been divorced from death- that is, Dude and Death mutually agreed that Ex-Death should be allowed to live after dying or merely live without the option of dying.
This theory is obviously false since ExDeath is killed at the end of the game.

The Man
12-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Gilgamesh's name doesn't really make much sense either. Square seemed to like naming people with mythological references without really putting much thought into why they were making them.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
01-07-2009, 03:33 PM
It was supposed to be Exodus.
Yeah, it's just a mistranslation of Exodus.No, it's not. Exodus would be エキソドス. Exdeath is エクスデス.

He's only called Exodus in the localizations of the Ivalice games because Alex O. Smith likes messing with familiar references to fit what sounds good to him.

Wolf Kanno
01-07-2009, 07:10 PM
True, Dissidia has him listed as Exdeath despite Golbez and Firion being called by their correct spellings.