PDA

View Full Version : The necessity of writing 'correctly'!

ShunNakamura
12-23-2008, 07:21 AM
For this little post I am looking for particularly egregious examples of improper writing. In other words, examples where due to skimping on proper writing it actually can change the meaning.

For example, from TVTropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WantonCrueltyToTheCommonComma):

* Capitalization is the difference between "i helped my uncle jack off a horse" and "I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse."

Momiji
12-23-2008, 07:36 AM
I know the perfect video for this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OonDPGwAyfQ&fmt=18) <-- warning, video may contain questionable content, I haven't seen it in a while, so I don't remember for sure.

Yar
12-23-2008, 07:40 AM
"Works on Contingency? No! Money Down!"

Sir Lancealot
12-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Is it bad, that I know the, last two lines, of the Red Dwarf, episode quoted, when I haven't, seen it for a while.

edczxcvbnm
12-23-2008, 08:45 AM

I miss Lionel Hutts.

.:kerrod:.
12-23-2008, 11:46 AM

haha, this makes me laugh every time i see it :p

and Shun, is there a mistake in your first sentence? :confused: i don't know if you did this on purpose, but it doesn't make sense...

as for my stance on punctuation and grammar, i think it's vital...i use all correct spelling and apostrophes and commas on things like msn and forums, however, i don't use capitals unless it's necessary and sometimes i just put three dots to separate sentences, etc. (ie. "...")

cloud_doll
12-23-2008, 12:58 PM
I absolutely must spell correctly in everything. It's terrible when I text too, because if it's you're and not your, I must put in the 're.

.:kerrod:.
12-23-2008, 01:33 PM
I absolutely must spell correctly in everything. It's terrible when I text too, because if it's you're and not your, I must put in the 're.

me too, i can't stand your/you're misspellings (among other things; "youse" annoys the crap out of me, but i think that's just an Australian thing), and my text messages are always really long because i type every word in full with correct punctuation :p

Peegee
12-23-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm not trying to derail/ruin the thread but, the 2nd amendment:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Del Murder
12-23-2008, 04:22 PM
That one's classic.