PDA

View Full Version : See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil

Shiny
01-01-2009, 09:52 PM
As said by the Three Wise Monkeys even though there's actually four.

Freya
01-01-2009, 09:58 PM
I say smell cause well I don't mind not smelling gross stuff. Sure missing like good smells and food smells but at least I can still touch and see and hear who I interact with.

Drift
01-01-2009, 10:00 PM
What I'd do was I'd thought I'd be one of those deaf mutes :D

Tama2
01-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Why are you people getting rid of smell!?

Jessweeee♪
01-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I think if I couldn't smell things I'd be a more practical person at least :p

Lawr
01-01-2009, 10:27 PM
A man that can't smell himself is an ignant' one. I'd probably give up all my feeling or taste. Either one would be fine.

Kes
01-02-2009, 02:03 AM
Dieting would be so much easier without taste. Tempting chocolate no more!

Also, wouldn't you pretty much give up smell and taste if you gave up smell?

Tama2
01-02-2009, 02:08 AM
One's taste would be very much dulled without smell.

Rye
01-02-2009, 02:15 AM
Taste, so that I can finally STOP EATING and lose weight. Yay!

Depression Moon
01-02-2009, 02:21 AM
Smell seems like the least important one to me.

Lawr
01-02-2009, 02:31 AM
If you give up smell you hurt your taste a little, but I don't think if you give up taste it'd hurt your smell. I don't know, maybe it does! :moomba:

Shiny
01-03-2009, 02:28 AM
Why are you people getting rid of smell!?
I know right. xD Clearly, many of you have never smelt the wonders of Victoria Secret's lotion.

Also, wouldn't you pretty much give up smell and taste if you gave up smell?
I think the Olfactory system effects both smell and taste.

Peegee
01-03-2009, 02:39 AM
They're all terrible choices.

I chose 'touch' because it would be interesting. I wouldn't be able to walk or drive a car though xD

Momiji
01-03-2009, 02:40 AM
If you give up smell you hurt your taste a little

More than a little.

I said this the last time we had a thread like this. Don't give up smell, because you'd be nerfing your sense of taste as well. Just give up taste.

Smell is pretty much worthless for the most part. BYE BYE!

I would beg to differ. Smell is important in taste, and also in making sure food is safe to eat. It also is an alert system to tell you if something is burning, or if there is a gas leak or something-- and that's just to name a few things!

I'd give up taste. Let's face it, if food was tasteless and unsatisfying, I wouldn't be tempted to eat more than I should, just enough that I'm full-- not to mention it would make eating foods that taste bad much more desirable. So it would be much better from a health standpoint, because you can avoid the foods that aren't nutritious but taste great, and eat all of the most bland, healthy food possible.

Not only that, but you can keep all of your other senses. If you lose smell, your ability to taste is strongly impacted in a negative way.

Human smell is actually terrible compared to EVERY OTHER MAMMAL ON THE PLANET.
Nothing that owning a dog, and having common sense can't fix.

Who cares if it's worse than other mammals? It's still our most primal/instinctive sense, and it's also the only sense that does not pass through the thalamus in the brain, so it's the first sense to stimulate the brain. All other sensations pass through the thalamus, the brain's 'relay center', and sent as impulses to their proper locations in the cerebral cortex.

Not only that, but without the olfactory sense, your vomeronasal organ would also not work. That is the primary organ responsible for detecting pheromones that regulate behaviors like mating, territoriality, and aggressiveness. Now, while it is true that this is not as important to us as it is to other mammals, it still plays a role in human sexuality. Also, as I said before, without smell, your sense of taste wouldn't be very good either. Why give up two senses when you can lose one that can be beneficial to you in the long run? Also, smells also stimulate the memory more than other senses.

*adjusts glasses and walks away*

Tavrobel
01-03-2009, 02:55 AM
Evil tastes pretty friggin' good, but I'm not sure if I can smell evil.

demondude
01-03-2009, 12:41 PM
I'd get rid of taste. Then I could drink all the pro-shakes I want and not gag. It would also make me super healthy.

Shorty
01-03-2009, 01:07 PM
I was going to say smell, but Momiji the Nerd has persuaded me. Taste it is.

Caraliz
01-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Taste is the most useless one

all I can think about is how much money I'd save/weight I'd lose if I couldn't taste anything

I like my sense of smell more than anything because it is AMAZING (!!)

Rase
01-03-2009, 02:33 PM
I'd probably go with smell. I have a friend who lost his sense of smell when he was younger for no apparent reason, and he still tastes things absolutely fine. Taste is more important to me (food!), touch would ruin a lot of things and make others difficult, sight and hearing are both kinda a big deal.

Madame Adequate
01-03-2009, 02:40 PM
No way would I give up sight.
No way would I give up hearing.
No way would I give up feeling.
So that leaves taste and smell.
But seeing as the question's intent is clearly "Which of your senses do you value least" and not a biology quiz, I'm going to say smell :p Because within the constraints of this hypothetical it's allowable that you would lose one without affecting the other.

Quindiana Jones
01-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Taste. All my other senses are important to me. I couldn't stand the idea of not seeing, smelling, hearing or feeling things.

Randgris
01-05-2009, 04:31 AM
Though all of the senses are important, I could easily take off the sense of smell as it is of little use to me.