PDA

View Full Version : New FF MMO

Freya
01-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Again... I'm reading Gaming magazines....

New FF MMO in the works. Guess it's suppose to coexist (not replace) XI. It has the same staffers but it'll be a lot different from XI. More info at the next E3 I'm thinking.

My question: What would you like to see in a new MMO? New improvements on XI or things you just would like to get in there.

Rantz
01-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Offline mode, single player mode, and no monthly fee. 8)

Rostum
01-06-2009, 11:59 AM

Okay, let's play a current MMO like that. Oh wait, they're all http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif because there's no money being put into the upkeep and updates of them. GG man.

To be honest, I would love to see everything FFXI brought, and for the development team to bring everything they've learnt over the past decade (from FFXI) to the table.

Been waiting for this news since at least a couple of years. It's codename is Rapture (there's the tiniest article on Wikipedia somewhere). The tech demo they showed off in 2005 is exactly how I'd like it to be in art direction at least.

Marshall Banana
01-06-2009, 03:34 PM

Okay, let's play a current MMO like that. Oh wait, they're all http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif because there's no money being put into the upkeep and updates of them. GG man.

Discuss the first online Final Fantasy and its online service, PlayOnline, within. You cannot play this game offline, there is no single player mode, and you must pay a monthly fee in order to play. Thank you.
=O

Jessweeee♪
01-06-2009, 04:42 PM
I hope it'll be cheaper at least :(

As a child I can't afford to play FFXI or WoW! Though technically I'll be an adult who should get a job when this is released anyway.

Freya
01-06-2009, 08:02 PM
I've played my share of MMO's currently WoW is my fav. I tried XI didn't like it.

Things they need to try:
Instances (or dungeons for a group of people) - this allows more loot to be able to spread around to the players instead of like XI where they have mobs that are daily spawns or weekly spawns that everyone is trying to kill.

Fewer Menus - Good god it takes for ever to get to the character select screen on XI. Things like Guild wars and WoW you just login in and POOF you're characters.

More loot drop rates - It seemed to me it took much longer to get your desired drop on XI. Most casual gamers wont want to play something that takes half their day just getting one item for a quest.

JUMP - I like hopping around and no jumping made me sadface.

While I understand that XI is for those more "hardcore" gamers they need to make it a little more casual. Also with games like Warhammer that is pushing the PvP (player vs player) or as they call it RvR, they are going to be forced to join that action.

Why play a game that is difficult to level in and doesn't have that player killing action you love? There is no point. The way the MMO's are going it's for the hop and go kinda crowd and some instant action if you'd like. People have been complaining about leveling from 70-80 on WoW. While it's fun it's not THAT much of a challenge, yet they still complain about how long it takes. They get there so fast though that they are completing all the release date content.

What's the reward in WoW for getting to 80? Nothing really besides having that high level. You have to do more endgame to get those cool things that make it worth it's time. The new FF MMO needs to apply that. Make it worth while to get to that high level even if you can't do endgame. Casual gamers will appreciate it and hardcore gamers will feel more accomplish it.

Depression Moon
01-07-2009, 01:45 AM
I think they should wait quite a few years before they bring in a new FF MMO. One thing they must have to definitely do though is provide an offline mode and make it cheaper. If you make the monthly charges cheaper then a lot more people will buy your game.

LunarWeaver
01-07-2009, 02:28 AM
I don't know much about MMOs, so I will just agree with everything Lekana has said. I am an opinion parasite.

McLovin'
01-07-2009, 05:36 AM
GIEF IVALICE MMO!

That would be epic.

Rostum
01-07-2009, 08:50 PM
I think they should wait quite a few years before they bring in a new FF MMO. One thing they must have to definitely do though is provide an offline mode and make it cheaper. If you make the monthly charges cheaper then a lot more people will buy your game.

Okay let's get one thing straight. YOU DO NOT MAKE AN "OFFLINE" MODE FOR AN MMO. IT IS AN MMO FOR A REASON, FFS! Also, they do not need to wait a few years, FFXI has been out since 2000-2001! Also, $12USD a month is NOT A LOT OF MONEY, NEITHER IS $15USD A MONTH FOR WOW.

Excuse the caps, it's like beating a dead horse. In fact, I'll beat it again. YOU DO NOT MAKE AN OFFLINE MODE FOR AN MMO. Phantasy Star Universe sucked and it was majorly unsuccessful. Also you look at cheap and free MMO's (Guild Wars is NOT AN MMO) and they suck because they don't have any or very little upkeep and updates.

GIEF IVALICE MMO!

That would be epic.

Yes please!!!

Edit: By the way I think in an interview awhile ago they said they are not going to label it under Final Fantasy. Of course, SE are notorius for changing their minds whenever, without telling people.

Edit2: Lekana, a lot of that information about FFXI is misinformed but I can agree with some, especially if you are looking at all the new things FFXI has brought to the table in the last year-year and a half. There's plenty of insentive to get to the cap level without having to do end-game now. There's heaps of casual player mechanics that have been implemented, and they've made it a lot easier to get to the cap level now. There are many low-man instanced dungeons you can do for some great gear, and they have even introduced things you can do to get good gear instead of camping overpopulated Notorious Monsters.

One thing I think FFXI really has over MMO's at the moment is the great amount of story and lore. The missions are great, they are challenging (and not in a time-sync way either), and they provide a great way to experience the numorous story archs that the game offers so far (there's three more story archs coming out soon). The cutscenes are very well executed too, with great cinematography and all. The only downside, and this is SE's fault, is that the history/lore is only supplied in outside material that they haven't bothered to translate. Thankfully someone on a popular FFXI forum has been translating a lot of it and it's very good stuff.

I guess I'd love for SE to provide better customer service for their next MMO, and also provide everything to the English customers. Oh it'd also be nice if SE recognized players as actual customers.

Depression Moon
01-07-2009, 10:57 PM

Okay let's get one thing straight. YOU DO NOT MAKE AN "OFFLINE" MODE FOR AN MMO. IT IS AN MMO FOR A REASON, FFS! Also, they do not need to wait a few years, FFXI has been out since 2000-2001! Also, $12USD a month is NOT A LOT OF MONEY, NEITHER IS $15USD A MONTH FOR WOW.

Excuse the caps, it's like beating a dead horse. In fact, I'll beat it again. YOU DO NOT MAKE AN OFFLINE MODE FOR AN MMO. Phantasy Star Universe sucked and it was majorly unsuccessful. Also you look at cheap and free MMO's (Guild Wars is NOT AN MMO) and they suck because they don't have any or very little upkeep and updates.
If you want to make a huge amount of money you would and one example of a game doesn't really pull in the point and the reason that XI and Wow doesn't have more players is particularly because a lot of people agree that that is too much. Everybody might not have money like you and I know I don't. Especially in these times it's a bit ridiculous to continue to charge that amount. People would prefer to have options. Other companies have managed to make new content free for download on some of their games. So I know it doesn't cost a whole lot to add in new content unless you're waiting for a while and are releasing a lot at one time.

Jessweeee♪
01-08-2009, 01:57 AM
I really like PSU, actually...I couldn't even play it online xD

I don't see the problem with adding an offline mode...I mean people could always just not play it.

NeoTifa
01-08-2009, 03:06 AM
If it had a huge one time fee, and no monthly payments, then I'd get it. But other than that, I'm just too damn busy to be foolin around with games. It would be a waste of my money.

A lot of character customization would be nice, like hair styles/color/tattoos/piercings/etc. not just the basic few options...

Jessweeee♪
01-08-2009, 03:16 AM
Oh yeah definitely more customization options xD

I hate being in an area with six other characters that look exactly like me :(

Rostum
01-08-2009, 04:51 AM
If you want to make a huge amount of money you would and one example of a game doesn't really pull in the point and the reason that XI and Wow doesn't have more players is particularly because a lot of people agree that that is too much. Everybody might not have money like you and I know I don't. Especially in these times it's a bit ridiculous to continue to charge that amount. People would prefer to have options. Other companies have managed to make new content free for download on some of their games. So I know it doesn't cost a whole lot to add in new content unless you're waiting for a while and are releasing a lot at one time.

Nothing you've said could be further to the truth. What you've said is completely misinformed and wrong. Sorry. Tripple A title MMO's make a lot of money and have a lot of subscribers (World of Warcraft has over ten million subscribers, and it has a monthly fee of $15USD; not to mention every developer and their mum want to make one because of how much money they make). A lot of people have the money to play monthly in an MMO, a lot of people spend a lot more than the initial monthly fee too (whether it's buying in-game currency or items), a lot of people have the money! Please don't use your own personal experience or the economy's "crisis" as an excuse, it's full of crap to be honest.

Companies that make updated content for free, do not make it for MMO's. MMO's are a completely different ballpark, and not only does the money go into the in-game content, it also goes into running, upgrading and maintaining the servers (you should see the server farms these tripple A title games use!), customer support and troubleshooting, and to the development teams (notice I am mentioning multiple teams). Offline or multiplayer games are completely different. So no, you do not know what it takes to keep an MMO updated. A lot of free MMO's out there rely on things like people using real life money to buy in-game items through their stores, and they are not fun games at all.

So basically, all you've shown is that you personally are butt-hurt about monthly fees and actually don't understand the full concept of an MMO and have just supplied false accusations on the genre and the companies that make them. Please, at least do some research before you make statements like that.

Jess: I understand quite a few people like/liked PSU, but it has been officially deemed unsuccessful. I think they are pulling / have pulled down their servers because of it.

I also agree that there needs a lot more customization. But a lot of the newer MMO's definitely have that. Check out some YouTube videos of Aion's character customization.

Garland
01-08-2009, 06:45 AM
I want the new SE MMO to choose a niche of expertise and stick with it. I don't want the new MMO to try and do WOW better than WOW. It'll just flop. FFXI used to be the hardcore MMO, and not long after WOW came out, SE started making FFXI quicker and easier. Now the people who want easy still go to WOW because WOW is still more instant gratification than XI will ever be, but also the people who go to FFXI for insane hardcore are pissed. Warhammer Online was touted as war is everywhere, where PVP was your endgame and where pvp got you your rewards. Next thing you know, the game is all about instances, and the best loot comes from NPC bosses. I wish companies would stop trying to make WOW 2.0, because they do nothing but make WOW 0.5. It's better to be an amazing niche game than a subpar mainstream. You'll probably get the same player base, but with better quality and dedication. Find a substancial group of people, and make an MMO that makes them happy. You can't please everyone, and trying means not pleasing anyone.

Markus. D
01-08-2009, 11:40 AM
I'd say... FFXI in it's current glory, with

- Easier less tedious travel times early on.

- 2.5x EXP Gain (+EXP Items nerfed ovcourse).

- Cut the emulation crap, I want super pretty.

also, whatever Omecle corrects from all pre-mentioned posts and this post included (about FFXI, not the other ones), is all super-awe-truthful.

Edit: (IMO) PSU Destroyed itself with the easy-access simulation of the Final Level, the EXP Gain among other things left most rushing to the top level with not really much else of anything to do... R.I.P. Waterfall.

Freya
01-09-2009, 01:28 AM
Omey, DM... WoW has 11.5 million subscribers... o.o

One thing I think FFXI really has over MMO's at the moment is the great amount of story and lore. The missions are great, they are challenging (and not in a time-sync way either), and they provide a great way to experience the numorous story archs that the game offers so far (there's three more story archs coming out soon). The cutscenes are very well executed too, with great cinematography and all. The only downside, and this is SE's fault, is that the history/lore is only supplied in outside material that they haven't bothered to translate. Thankfully someone on a popular FFXI forum has been translating a lot of it and it's very good stuff.

Honeybun, WoW has lots of lore. It spawned from three previous RTS games in which the 3rd had an expansion. Also they have mangas and comic books as well as Novels. :) The thing they get right is sharing their lore so you don't have to go onto some forum where someone translated it :P

You can't state that it has more lore when... WoW has been working on theirs for lil over a decade =x

I guess I'd love for SE to provide better customer service for their next MMO, and also provide everything to the English customers. Oh it'd also be nice if SE recognized players as actual customers.

Any company that has a lot of subscribers can't pay too much attention, when you do that you'll end up doing what Star Wars Galxies did. Listened to their players too much and screwed it up trying to gear it to each fan :P

Edit2: Lekana, a lot of that information about FFXI is misinformed but I can agree with some, especially if you are looking at all the new things FFXI has brought to the table in the last year-year and a half. There's plenty of insentive to get to the cap level without having to do end-game now. There's heaps of casual player mechanics that have been implemented, and they've made it a lot easier to get to the cap level now. There are many low-man instanced dungeons you can do for some great gear, and they have even introduced things you can do to get good gear instead of camping overpopulated Notorious Monsters.
You're an XI fanboi huh? Seems like it's so. I played the game early on in it's development. The problem they had is that it took them nearly 7 years to make it funner for players. Sure they have it in there now, but they didn't start with it.

Also sweetie, Guild Wars was actually a pretty good game, it just didn't have as much as say WoW so people started to go for games like XI and WoW. What's the point of playing a MMORPG when there is not MMO to it? I'd just buy a normal FF if that was the case.

The reason WoW is king right now is because they do a lot of things right. And if XI was so great wouldn't it be king?

15,000 tickets sold in 15 mins for $100 a piece for Blizzcon. Believe me I was there. You don't get that kind of dedication just because it's easy. :P

EDIT: and omey Guild Wars IS an MMO...

Avarice-ness
01-09-2009, 03:47 PM
I lean more towards WoW than anything, after that I go to GW (I plan to actually LEAVE WoW when GW2 comes out), and then FFXI as last.

My biggest FFXI turn off.

"OH HAY, NEW LEVEL"
"OH HAY, I DIED"
"OH HAY, I LOST A LEVEL"

Just kill my armor then I can just pay for it to be fixed and go on my merry way like in WoW, or just start decreasing my health up to so much like in GW.

As for the fee, I don't really care. I understand that I am paying these people so much a month to either 1.) make the game I currently play better and more fun or 2.) put the money into a more epic game in which I will plan to play later.

Depression Moon
01-09-2009, 05:35 PM

Nothing you've said could be further to the truth. What you've said is completely misinformed and wrong. Sorry. Tripple A title MMO's make a lot of money and have a lot of subscribers (World of Warcraft has over ten million subscribers, and it has a monthly fee of $15USD; not to mention every developer and their mum want to make one because of how much money they make). A lot of people have the money to play monthly in an MMO, a lot of people spend a lot more than the initial monthly fee too (whether it's buying in-game currency or items), a lot of people have the money! Please don't use your own personal experience or the economy's "crisis" as an excuse, it's full of crap to be honest.

Companies that make updated content for free, do not make it for MMO's. MMO's are a completely different ballpark, and not only does the money go into the in-game content, it also goes into running, upgrading and maintaining the servers (you should see the server farms these tripple A title games use!), customer support and troubleshooting, and to the development teams (notice I am mentioning multiple teams). Offline or multiplayer games are completely different. So no, you do not know what it takes to keep an MMO updated. A lot of free MMO's out there rely on things like people using real life money to buy in-game items through their stores, and they are not fun games at all.

So basically, all you've shown is that you personally are butt-hurt about monthly fees and actually don't understand the full concept of an MMO and have just supplied false accusations on the genre and the companies that make them. Please, at least do some research before you make statements like that.

Why are you trying to make me look like I don't know anything? There is few in this world who loves video games more than I do. I might not have lived to see my current age because of it. Economic states are indeed a prime factor in these terms as if a man can barely be able to feed and cloth himself, he could not afford to purchase a game and continue paying for it on a monthly basis so he would probably consider something that would not require those extra fees. In time the charges can go over a $100 and if there's one person in this country like that there are millions of others. I know well how many subscribers are on World of Warcraft, but all of that isn't just from a couple of countries, but multiple. WoW is making plenty of money from all those subscribers along with some the additional prices they charge for a certain extra feature, so Blizzard is making plenty of profit from that, so it wouldn't really hurt them if they lowered the charge a little bit and it would probably attract even more customers. MMO games can survive with a lower charge and can achieve to become successful by their marketing and overall advertising.

Avarice-ness
01-09-2009, 10:00 PM

Why are you trying to make me look like I don't know anything? There is few in this world who loves video games more than I do. I might not have lived to see my current age because of it. Economic states are indeed a prime factor in these terms as if a man can barely be able to feed and cloth himself, he could not afford to purchase a game and continue paying for it on a monthly basis so he would probably consider something that would not require those extra fees. In time the charges can go over a $100 and if there's one person in this country like that there are millions of others. I know well how many subscribers are on World of Warcraft, but all of that isn't just from a couple of countries, but multiple. WoW is making plenty of money from all those subscribers along with some the additional prices they charge for a certain extra feature, so Blizzard is making plenty of profit from that, so it wouldn't really hurt them if they lowered the charge a little bit and it would probably attract even more customers. MMO games can survive with a lower charge and can achieve to become successful by their marketing and overall advertising.

Here's the thing, Blizzard doesn't make you play. We all choose to play, we all choose to hand over our debit and credit cards to buy months and months of gameplay.
Is that Blizzards fault? Nope, that's our own. If we want to play a free game, there are -PLENTY- of them to be played, but no, we want to play a game that is worth our money and our time, so we choose to play WoW.

It's like buying a Dell computer then looking at profit that Dell makes, no one's going to go "Omg I just paid 2000$ for this computer FOR MY OWN ENTERTAINMENT and Dell makes over blah blah blah a month! I'm going to stop paying my bill!"
Everyone knows we're over charged for electricity but we pay the bill anyways, why? Because we like to have electricity, no matter what the cost (as long as it's affordable) we'll pay for it.

Same goes for WoW, 15$ isn't the much, and the extra features.. well I've played for 2 and a half years and never used them. If you don't have the money to play WoW then you probably don't have the time too, because you're going to need to be working.

A Dvd at wal-mart can cost just as much or more than a month of WoW.
A regular Video game for PS3, XBOX, Wii, costs 2.6 times the cost of a month of WoW.
Eating out at McDonalds (meal) for 3 days within a month costs more than WoW.
Your internet connection alone can cost atleast 3 or 4 times as much as a month of WoW.
Going to see movies at a movie theater can almost be 2 times as much as a month of WoW.

Most gamers like the above, and pay for the above. Even at the bare minimum, if you have a job and are willing to sacrifice buying a movie, eating out at a fast food place, buying a video game, you can afford WoW. I know I've not bought something just to play a month of WoW before, did it bother me? Not in the least, Instead of seeing a movie, I got to play a month of WoW.

Just because the company makes a crap load of money doesn't mean it should become "more affordable" for it's customers, it means they're doing something right and are successful. It's affordable now, and I'm very happy for putting in 500$ into WoW over the years, they've shown me they're worth it.

With the whole economy thing, if a man is struggling that bad, playing on a game, hell a computer that costs money just to get on via internet, should be the FARTHEST thing from his mind.

Depression Moon
01-10-2009, 02:05 AM
[quote=Depression Moon;2619572][quote=Omecle;2618696]

Here's the thing, Blizzard doesn't make you play. We all choose to play, we all choose to hand over our debit and credit cards to buy months and months of gameplay.
Is that Blizzards fault? Nope, that's our own. If we want to play a free game, there are -PLENTY- of them to be played, but no, we want to play a game that is worth our money and our time, so we choose to play WoW.

It's like buying a Dell computer then looking at profit that Dell makes, no one's going to go "Omg I just paid 2000$ for this computer FOR MY OWN ENTERTAINMENT and Dell makes over blah blah blah a month! I'm going to stop paying my bill!"
Everyone knows we're over charged for electricity but we pay the bill anyways, why? Because we like to have electricity, no matter what the cost (as long as it's affordable) we'll pay for it.

Same goes for WoW, 15$ isn't the much, and the extra features.. well I've played for 2 and a half years and never used them. If you don't have the money to play WoW then you probably don't have the time too, because you're going to need to be working.

A regular Video game for PS3, XBOX, Wii, costs 2.6 times the cost of a month of WoW.
Your internet connection alone can cost atleast 3 or 4 times as much as a month of WoW.
Going to see movies at a movie theater can almost be 2 times as much as a month of WoW.

Most gamers like the above, and pay for the above. Even at the bare minimum, if you have a job and are willing to sacrifice buying a movie, eating out at a fast food place, buying a video game, you can afford WoW. I know I've not bought something just to play a month of WoW before, did it bother me? Not in the least, Instead of seeing a movie, I got to play a month of WoW.

Just because the company makes a crap load of money doesn't mean it should become "more affordable" for it's customers, it means they're doing something right and are successful. It's affordable now, and I'm very happy for putting in 500$ into WoW over the years, they've shown me they're worth it.

With the whole economy thing, if a man is struggling that bad, playing on a game, hell a computer that costs money just to get on via internet, should be the FARTHEST thing from his mind.

You can get internet for free and every human being wants something to entertain themselves, that's what makes life worth living. The pleasurable things. I think that if a company is making extreme profit it would be wise and advisable for them to make themselves a little more affordable so that they could attract even more potential customers, which would lead to more money in the end. Movies is also something that could be free or fairly cheap too. Some theaters charge only 2 or $3 and you have others that watch them by other means. As for fast food, it doesn't cost more than WoW for three days if you're including the price of the disc, which should be an added factor. Regulars could have a more appealing factor to a person on a budget as it won't grow in terms of expense over time. You pay one price for it and then that's it, you'll be spending a lot less if you're buying used, bundled, or old games as well.

These are precisely some issues I would like to see come about in a new FF MMO.

Avarice-ness
01-10-2009, 03:55 PM
[quote=Depression Moon;2619572][quote=Omecle;2618696]

You can get internet for free and every human being wants something to entertain themselves, that's what makes life worth living. The pleasurable things. I think that if a company is making extreme profit it would be wise and advisable for them to make themselves a little more affordable so that they could attract even more potential customers, which would lead to more money in the end. Movies is also something that could be free or fairly cheap too. Some theaters charge only 2 or $3 and you have others that watch them by other means. As for fast food, it doesn't cost more than WoW for three days if you're including the price of the disc, which should be an added factor. Regulars could have a more appealing factor to a person on a budget as it won't grow in terms of expense over time. You pay one price for it and then that's it, you'll be spending a lot less if you're buying used, bundled, or old games as well.

These are precisely some issues I would like to see come about in a new FF MMO.

Have you played WoW on dial up, it's horrible. To the point it's NOT entertaining. The only reason I could defend a low cost for it being played on dial up is because it's worth exactly what dial up is, nothing.

Most theaters that charge 2 or 3 dollars are one's that show movies already out of mainstream theater. I'm looking at things at the stand point of a self-sufficent person, one who works 40 hour weeks, normal pay (not minimum), rents or room mates (doesn't live with parents), not from (no offense) someone living in the ghetto or living with their parents with no income coming to them.

My chicken mcnugget meals cost 6.28$ plus tax. Nuggets, fries, drink. Just 3 of those is over 15$. 4 days a month of 5$ foot longs at Subway is more.

My sister plays WoW about 4 times in a month because she is like... massively casual, but she still has no problem paying for that time she plays.

When I talk about 15$ being affordable, I don't include the people who have to scrounge for money. Again, they could probably be doing better things than spending their time, even if it's casual on WoW.

Again, most people who can't afford, 15$ for a computer game a month prolly can't afford more important things, like food, or clothes. 7.50$ a paycheck saved, buy a game card at the end of the month, again, if you can't take out 7.50$ from your paycheck, you have other things you need to be worrying about than entertainment.