PDA

View Full Version : 3D remake of Beauty and the Beast

Marshall Banana
01-06-2009, 06:26 PM
<a href="http://movies.ign.com/articles/931/931848p1.html" target="_blank">http://movies.ign.com/articles/931/931848p1.html</a>

Disney. :gruffi:

Flying Mullet
01-06-2009, 06:37 PM
:frust:

Tavrobel
01-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Disney, you money grubbing screwballs. They've been taking a page from Square Enix, haven't they?

Ohh, wait.

rubah
01-06-2009, 07:33 PM
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

scrumpleberry
01-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Why?

Why?

charliepanayi
01-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Aren't they doing this with a few films, I know Toy Story is out in 3-D in the autumn.

Depression Moon
01-06-2009, 08:20 PM
This is unnecessary. The first film was good enough. They don't need to remake the film especially in CG unless they're improving the story times seven so that it could truly put a tear in my eyes.
Edit: Oh and Toy Story's always been in 3-D.

Marshall Banana
01-06-2009, 08:25 PM
This is unnecessary. The first film was good enough. They don't need to remake the film especially in CG unless they're improving the story times seven so that it could truly put a tear in my eyes.
I watched Beauty and the Beast this afternoon, and it still makes me cry. =O

LunarWeaver
01-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Aren't they just reworking it so you can put on goofy 3-D glasses and have the screen jump out at you? What's the big deal. Sounds fun to me. Though personally I am more excited for the 3-D Jonas Brothers concert. OH MY :bigsmile:

Marshall Banana
01-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Though personally I am more excited for the 3-D Jonas Brothers concert. OH MY :bigsmile:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCXiczrRUSg" target="_blank">Oh, my God.</a>

charliepanayi
01-06-2009, 08:49 PM

Oh my aching sides!

I quote from Wikipedia: "Toy Story is set for re-release in Disney Digital 3-D on October 2, 2009"

sdm42393
01-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Ugh... WHY?!?!
The first one was good enough, now they're going to ruin it. >_>

Spiffing Cheese
01-06-2009, 09:12 PM
A part of me just died inside. :(

arcanedude34
01-06-2009, 09:37 PM
I... don't get the big deal. Just... don't watch it, nobody's making you. In a free enterprise system, people can make money any (legal) way they want. Disney WILL make money off of this, so it's no fault on their part that people don't agree with their choices. Hell, I'd feel no remorse moneygrubbing if I was associated in anyway with the already-soulless corporation that is Disney.

Wolf Kanno
01-06-2009, 10:02 PM
No...just no... :mad:

charliepanayi
01-06-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm not sure what all the outrage is here - they're not remaking the film as such, it's the same bloody film, just done in 3-D. You can argue that such an exercise is redundant and just there to rake in some cash, and you might be right, but this is the film industry and such things are nothing new I'm afraid.

Depression Moon
01-07-2009, 01:56 AM

Oh my aching sides!

I quote from Wikipedia: "Toy Story is set for re-release in Disney Digital 3-D on October 2, 2009"
I quote from common knowledge Toy Story is a computer animated feature which makes it in 3-D unlike it's predecessors Lion King and Mulan that are simply just drawn and are 2-D.

Shlup
01-07-2009, 01:57 AM
I... what?

Jessweeee♪
01-07-2009, 02:13 AM
Huh...?

I'm not too happy about the Alice in Wonderland remake mentioned...if it were live action instead of 3-D animation it could be a total masterpiece if done right, though. I do think Johnny Depp could make a decent Mad Hatter :p

rubah
01-07-2009, 02:19 AM
someone already did a live action alice in wonderland, my dear jessweeee

Depression Moon
01-07-2009, 02:36 AM
Huh...?

I'm not too happy about the Alice in Wonderland remake mentioned...if it were live action instead of 3-D animation it could be a total masterpiece if done right, though. I do think Johnny Depp could make a decent Mad Hatter :p
It's not live action? Then it's not going to be dark and gothly twisted?

arcanedude34
01-07-2009, 02:45 AM
Huh...?

It's not live action? Then it's not going to be dark and gothly twisted?
It's by Tim Burton, of COURSE it will be.

Frequency NecroKat
01-07-2009, 03:05 AM
XD;;; Do they mean the glasses kind of 3-D or CG kinda 3-D?

Either way, that's just another branch on the tree of dignity and credibility that Disney's doing an agonizing nutcracker on as it falls lower and lower.

Edit: *brick'd, because she's eagerly waiting for TR2N* Er... that's different. XD;

Laddy
01-07-2009, 03:05 AM
Do they realize they are fucking up one of the best films of all time?

What's next? Silence of the Lambs The Rock Opera?

LunarWeaver
01-07-2009, 03:58 AM
They mean glasses kind of 3-D. You know, make the illusion certain parts come out at you. They are not remaking this entire film into a computer animated movie like what Pixar makes.

I don't see how they're ruining it. I just don't get the big deal.

Meat Puppet
01-07-2009, 04:47 AM
This story being transmogrified from a primitive flick into material more palpable for the new and improved generation is
excellent news

note to self: buy bolt on DVD and the themed-pajamas of whatever preteen musical sensation is being pumped at the moment

Frequency NecroKat
01-07-2009, 05:08 AM
They mean glasses kind of 3-D. You know, make the illusion certain parts come out at you. They are not remaking this entire film into a computer animated movie like what Pixar makes.

I don't see how they're ruining it. I just don't get the big deal.

I don't think it's ruining it, it just seems a little... unclassy. Beauty and the Beast is kind of a fairytale romance. Not an in-your-face action or quirky horror movie or anything like that. 3-D seems to not fit well with the original feel of it. I dunno, I'm just picky about what I 3-D-ify.

blackmage_nuke
01-07-2009, 11:31 AM
We havent even seen images yet and people seem to think it'll look like some kind of 3d weekday morning cartoon ie polygons which are in denial. They might actually make it look absolutely spectacular with stunning detail.....might.

arcanedude34
01-07-2009, 12:27 PM
The wolf scene is going to scare some small childrens, lemme just be the first to say. As well as the machine. And the mob scenes. And, you know, one half the titular duo. This is gonna be one scary movie. XD

Mirage
01-07-2009, 06:05 PM
This thread is so full of prejudice, it makes me sick.

Marshall Banana
01-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Meh.

Madame Adequate
01-07-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm not sure what all the outrage is here - they're not remaking the film as such, it's the same bloody film, just done in 3-D. You can argue that such an exercise is redundant and just there to rake in some cash, and you might be right, but this is the film industry and such things are nothing new I'm afraid.

Doubly true given that it's fairly common practise for Disney to release certain movies repeatedly anyway.

black orb
01-07-2009, 06:26 PM
>>> I hope those are directed by Tetsuya Nomura..

Depression Moon
01-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Prejudice against what? Oh and I thought you meant CG 3-D. I'm glad that's settled I still say it's kind of unnecessary especially since Beaty and The Beast is a romance.

Marshall Banana
01-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Instead of putting out a worthless 3D remake, though, I want Disney to make the classics more available. A few years ago I paid about fifty dollars for my Platinum Edition DVD of Beauty and the Beast (the menu of which features a really ugly 3D recreation of Belle's town, by the way), and I don't know whether there are other editions of Beauty and the Beast (there's a recent one, I think), but I do know that I couldn't just go to a store and find it (because it's in the Disney Vault).

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is the same; it was released only once on DVD in 2001 or 2002 (I'm not sure), so it was hard for me to find online for less than fifty dollars (that's why I never purchased it). It will finally be released again this year, I think.

The Little Mermaid will be in the Vault soon, so, probably, I won't see The Little Mermaid on store shelves for another seven years or so.

Plus, a 3D remake is a stupid idea (just like Disney's fairies). :kaolaugh:

Del Murder
01-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Disney sure knows how to make money, I'll give them that.

Mirage
01-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Prejudice against what? Oh and I thought you meant CG 3-D. I'm glad that's settled I still say it's kind of unnecessary especially since Beaty and The Beast is a romance.

What, it's obvious. "Omg CG can't work in a movie like this!1"

No way of knowing until you've seen it. Not that it seems to be happening with this movie though, but that's besides the point.

charliepanayi
01-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Instead of putting out a worthless 3D remake, though, I want Disney to make the classics more available. A few years ago I paid about fifty dollars for my Platinum Edition DVD of Beauty and the Beast (the menu of which features a really ugly 3D recreation of Belle's town, by the way), and I don't know whether there are other editions of Beauty and the Beast (there's a recent one, I think), but I do know that I couldn't just go to a store and find it (because it's in the Disney Vault).

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is the same; it was released only once on DVD in 2001 or 2002 (I'm not sure), so it was hard for me to find online for less than fifty dollars (that's why I never purchased it). It will finally be released again this year, I think.

The Little Mermaid will be in the Vault soon, so, probably, I won't see The Little Mermaid on store shelves for another seven years or so.

Plus, a 3D remake is a stupid idea (just like Disney's fairies). :kaolaugh:

I agree that the Disney policy of only having some DVDs out for a certain time before essentially deleting them and making them bloody hard to find is infuriating. I never got Beauty and the Beast when it was released on DVD and now can't get hold of it so easily. I did hear though that they may be re-releasing it on DVD when the 3D-version is out.

Depression Moon
01-07-2009, 10:49 PM

What, it's obvious. "Omg CG can't work in a movie like this!1"

No way of knowing until you've seen it. Not that it seems to be happening with this movie though, but that's besides the point.
I don't think anybody was saying that it wouldn't work, it's just unnecessary.

blackmage_nuke
01-08-2009, 12:55 AM
I'm still surprised that a kids movie from the early 90's where the character LeFou (Gaston's short assistant guy) who is so clearly homosexual was received with so little resistance in the first place.

Miriel
01-08-2009, 01:54 AM
This is the worst thing I've ever heard.