PDA

View Full Version : A Spanish a Day

Flying Mullet
01-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Ever wanted to learn Spanish? I received a one-a-day learn Spanish calendar for Christmas and I will share the excitement and drama of each new day with you, my fellow EoFF'ers.

Looks like we have some catching up to do as well since it's already the 6th.

Jueves, Enero 1 / (Thursday, January 1)
el año (AH-nyoh) - year
¡Un año más! - Another year!

Viernes, Enero 2 / (Friday, January 2)
la fiesta (FYEHS-tah) - party
Fue una fiesta muy buena. - It was a very good party.

Sábado, Enero 3 / (Saturday, January 3) & Domingo, Enero 4 / (Sunday, January 4)
descansar (dehs-kahn-SAHR) - to rest
El fin de semana es para descansar. - The weekend is for resting.

Lunes, Enero 5 / (Monday, January 5)
trabajar (trah-bah-HAHR) - to work
Pero hoy tenemos que trabajar. - But today we have to work.

Martes, Enero 6 / (Tuesday, January 5)
la oficina (oh-fee-SEE-nah) - office
Trabajo en una oficina nueva. - I work in a new office.

Yar
01-06-2009, 07:16 PM
:Eek:

I took Español in high-school. I can remember a little bit, but that class kinda sucked. I took it for four years, and it seemed like years II-VI were just repeats of Español I... :(

Lazy teacher + lazy kids = Bored Yar.

Deborah
01-06-2009, 07:25 PM
I've taken five classes in spanish. I know enough to get by. I rather not speak it though, I know I sound like an idiot when I do. Luckly living in Southern California I can practice with speakers more. Also, my grandpa and aunt are fluent. :D

demondude
01-06-2009, 07:43 PM
I used to learn it at school. I'm probably a bit sketchy with my pronunciation though. ¡Ah bien!

rubah
01-06-2009, 07:47 PM
A short introduction to spanish verbs(mostly to see if I still remember all this stuff):

most spanish verbs will end in -AR (or ER or OR or something)
to use these verbs, just learn these simple endings!

Yo (I) "o"
Tu (you) "as"
El, Ella, Usted (he, she, Thou) "a"
Nosotros (we) "amos"
Vosotros (Thou plural) idk because my teacher swore you only use this in spain, and never taught us.
Ellos, Ellas (they) "an"

With the verb "trabajar",
trabajo - I work
trabajas - You work
trabaja - He works
trabajamos - We work
trabajan - They work

when speaking spanish, using a subject pronoun (yo, tu, etc) is more or less completely optional.

Del Murder
01-06-2009, 07:54 PM
My grilfriend likes to repeat random Spanish phrases. It's cute.

I think I know enough Spanish to get by as a tourist in a Spanish speaking country. I knew all the words from Mullet's calendar except descansar, but I would just use dormir!

scrumpleberry
01-06-2009, 07:59 PM
I did a little spanish and forgot it all :0

I Took the Red Pill
01-06-2009, 10:00 PM
I've taken five years of Spanish and can speak it fairly competently.

qwertysaur
01-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Ten cuidad. La letra ñ es muy importante. Sin la ~, es la palabra ano. En ingles, ano es "ass"

Careful with año. You need the tilde over the n, otherwise you get ano = ass.

Flying Mullet
01-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Well maybe it is a new ano?

Yar
01-06-2009, 10:51 PM
I thought it was asno. Meh. I know that in French ass is âne, and the circumflex means there's an S after the vowel. So it's asne, which is just like asno and French and Spanish are related. >.>

Okay, I'm done being nerdy.

arcanedude34
01-06-2009, 10:56 PM
I think I know enough Spanish to get by as a tourist in a Spanish speaking country. I knew all the words from Mullet's calendar except descansar, but I would just use dormir!

Jessweeee♪
01-06-2009, 11:09 PM
I took spanish as my foreign language. I finished in the tenth grade so I forgot pretty much everything except a few words xD

rubah
01-06-2009, 11:13 PM
I thought it was asno. Meh. I know that in French ass is âne, and the circumflex means there's an S after the vowel. So it's asne, which is just like asno and French and Spanish are related. >.>

I think you just dreamed that rule up. I've never heard of it.

qwertysaur
01-06-2009, 11:20 PM
A short introduction to spanish verbs(mostly to see if I still remember all this stuff):

most spanish verbs will end in -AR (or ER or OR or something)
to use these verbs, just learn these simple endings!

Yo (I) "o"
Tu (you) "as"
El, Ella, Usted (he, she, Thou) "a"
Nosotros (we) "amos"
Vosotros (Thou plural) idk because my teacher swore you only use this in spain, and never taught us.
Ellos, Ellas (they) "an"

With the verb "trabajar",
trabajo - I work
trabajas - You work
trabaja - He works
trabajamos - We work
trabajan - They work

when speaking spanish, using a subject pronoun (yo, tu, etc) is more or less completely optional.
That is only for AR verbs.
ER is
o
es
e
emos
---
en
IR
o
es
e
imos
---
en

Yar
01-06-2009, 11:21 PM
I think you just dreamed that rule up. I've never heard of it.Oh, really? Well, it means some letter. At least I THOUGHT it did. *stops bong hits*

BTW, vosotros are ar: aís, er: eís, ir: ís

rubah
01-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Wow, k looks like you're right:D serves me right for thinking qwerty could be correct

Ramza Beoulve
01-07-2009, 01:02 AM
Sabía que algo me llamaba desde el internet - I knew that something was calling me from the internet.

Moon Rabbits
01-07-2009, 01:43 AM
I don't know anything about Spanish, but I found like a million Latin roots in this thread so I had fun.

NeoTifa
01-07-2009, 02:57 AM
mi palagra favorite es "siesta", porque me le gusta mucho :D

Ramza Beoulve
01-07-2009, 03:45 AM
mi palagbra favoritea es "siesta", porque me le gusta mucho :DArreglado :p - Fixed :p

NeoTifa
01-07-2009, 04:25 AM
shut up :p i only took spn 111...

Montoya
01-07-2009, 05:11 AM
Buenos dias mis amigos del internet.

Leen-Leen
01-07-2009, 05:14 AM
Yo quiero Taco Bell.

Spanish is a fun and easy language to learn xD

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-07-2009, 05:23 AM

I think you just dreamed that rule up. I've never heard of it.

It is true of French and English for some words such as: forêt and forest; tempête and tempest.

Also, âne is specifically the creature not the orifice in French. As far as I know anyways.

Ramza Beoulve
01-07-2009, 05:58 AM
Ano is just anus actually, ass would be more like trasero, nalga or asno, the last one if used for the animal. But here in México, we have a lot of synonyms for the first two :D

SideNote.- Don't search the first two without the filters on, trust me :(

NeoTifa
01-07-2009, 06:11 AM
lol. my fiancés cousin is from mexico. i remember that one thanksgiving.... i was the only one speaking english

Del Murder
01-07-2009, 06:26 AM
I know how that goes, except for me it's Korean!

Denmark
01-07-2009, 06:40 AM
I took German for three years. I know minimal Spanish, due to the rest of my family having taken it at some point in their lives.

I just had to be different.

Caraliz
01-07-2009, 07:08 AM
Dia de los muertos! Feliz cumpleanos! Donde esta la discoteca? De la iziquierda o de la derecha? MUY BIEN

I took 4 years of spanish and remember close to nothing

My sister took french, my brother took spanish, I took spanish and wish I had taken french.

Flying Mullet
01-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Miércoles, Enero 7 / (Wednesday, January 7)
el/la empleado/a (ehm-pleh-AH-doh/dah) - employee
Hay muchos empleados. - There are many employees.

black orb
01-07-2009, 06:03 PM
>>> Te pateare el trasero, eres mio NERD!..

Montoya
01-07-2009, 11:34 PM
No, por favor tio. No me toques ahi. :p

Flying Mullet
01-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Jueves, Enero 8 / (Thursday, January 8)
el/la jefe/a (HEH-feh/fah) - boss
El jefe es muy simpático. - The boss is very nice.

Zeldy
01-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Me illamo Amy! :spin:

Jessweeee♪
01-08-2009, 05:35 PM
They didn't teach us how to use vosotros or whatever 'cause we're so close to Mexico and so very very very very far from Spain :p

Cleric
01-09-2009, 05:11 AM
Jueves, Enero 8 / (Thursday, January 8)
el/la jefe/a (HEH-feh/fah) - boss
El jefe es muy simpático. - The boss is very nice.

Ese es un chiste malo...

Ramza Beoulve
01-09-2009, 05:38 AM
¡Me illamo Amy! :spin:You need to use the inverted question and exclamation marks :p
They didn't teach us how to use vosotros or whatever 'cause we're so close to Mexico and so very very very very far from Spain The "vosotros" thing can be equivalent to "ustedes", and the "vos" can be "tu" or "usted", depending on the grade of courtesy and also changing the structure of the phrase :p

Montoya
01-09-2009, 07:27 AM
I can never get used to the vosotros thing. I keep thinking that people mean nosotros, which totally changes everything. :/

escobert
01-09-2009, 07:30 AM
I refuse to speak this devil language!

Ramza Beoulve
01-09-2009, 07:55 AM
I refuse to speak this devil language!
Vamos, únete al lado oscuro :evilking:

Shoeberto
01-09-2009, 08:17 AM
lol. my fiancés cousin is from mexico. i remember that one thanksgiving.... i was the only one speaking english
I know how that goes, except for me it's Southern!

Flying Mullet
01-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Was rubah fixin' to head over yonder with y'all?

Viernes, Enero 9 / (Friday, January 9)
la semana (seh-MAH-nah) - week
La semana ya terminó. - The week is finally over.

moldybread
01-09-2009, 03:55 PM
I took 5 years of Spanish from 8th-12th grade, am currently taking it, and am going to be a Spanish teacher. But, eh, still have a lot to learn, better get myself in gear. Lo haría, pero no pienso que mi profesora pueda enseñar - ella hace que sea difícil mantenerme despierta, y es mi asignatura favorita o_o.

(Correct any mistakes, if you please, since we're on the subject ;) ).

rubah
01-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Was rubah fixin' to head over yonder with y'all?

Viernes, Enero 9 / (Friday, January 9)
la semana (seh-MAH-nah) - week
La semana ya terminó. - The week is finally over.
as soon as we get to my house, he himself slips into an accent. It's weird.

Ramza Beoulve
01-09-2009, 09:19 PM
I took 5 years of Spanish from 8th-12th grade, am currently taking it, and am going to be a Spanish teacher. But, eh, still have a lot to learn, better get myself in gear. Lo haría, pero no pienso que mi profesora pueda enseñarme - ella hace que sea difícil mantenerme despierta, y es mi asignatura favorita o_o.

Fixed, good work actually! ;)

Momiji
01-09-2009, 09:41 PM
I've been out of Spanish class for 3 weeks, and I've already forgotten all of what I've learned. =X

Shiny
01-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Yo tengo el gato en mi pantalones.

moldybread
01-09-2009, 11:40 PM
I took 5 years of Spanish from 8th-12th grade, am currently taking it, and am going to be a Spanish teacher. But, eh, still have a lot to learn, better get myself in gear. Lo haría, pero no pienso que mi profesora pueda enseñarme - ella hace que sea difícil mantenerme despierta, y es mi asignatura favorita o_o.

Oh, I just meant that she can't teach in general, because this was how the majority of the class felt/feels (we're going to have her again this semester), but I guess that wasn't specified in my post. :D.

Ramza Beoulve
01-10-2009, 12:03 AM

Oh, I just meant that she can't teach in general, because this was how the majority of the class felt/feels (we're going to have her again this semester), but I guess that wasn't specified in my post. :D.
Haha, don't worry, my bad :p

Yar
01-10-2009, 01:15 AM
I used to want to be a Spanish teacher, but then I discovered German and French and now I don't really know if I want to be a teacher anymore anyway. :/

black orb
01-10-2009, 01:23 AM
>>> Aprender español no sirve de mucho (en realidad no sirve para nada), mejor usen su tiempo en algo mas interesante..

rubah
01-10-2009, 01:26 AM
what about all the influx of immigrants to the US, black orb? We have spanish on many major labels now, where ten years ago, you wouldn't see it anywhere

black orb
01-10-2009, 01:35 AM
>>> You have a point rubah, but I think the immigrants are the ones who should learn english first, not the opposite. :D
BTW, i dont live in US and i dont know how things work there so maybe im wrong.

Yar
01-10-2009, 01:40 AM
It may be interesting to note that the United States has no official language at the federal level, and the majority of states don't either.

And depending on if you believe the Muhlenburg legend or not, we almost could have all been speaking German right now! :D

Flying Mullet
01-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Sábado, 10 de Enero / (Saturday, January 10th) & Domingo, 11 de Enero / (Sunday, January 11th)
el restaurante (rehs-tow-RAHN-teh) - restaurant
Vamos a un restaurante mexicano. - We're going to a Mexican restaurant.

Lunes, 12 de Enero / (Monday, January 12th)
la ciudad (syoo-DAHD) - city
Vivo en una ciudad grande. - I live in a large city.

Loony BoB
01-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Pobre tomate. No es triste? I think that's right, anyway. I'm probably lacking a few accents or something. I don't know much Spanish but I could easily pick up on things like 'restaurante', 'internet' and 'Taco Bell'. :p

Flying Mullet
01-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Miércoles, 14 de Enero / (Wednesday, January 14th)
hay (AYE) - there is/there are
Hay muchos habitantes en la ciudad. - There are many inhabitants in the city.

Jueves, 15 de Enero / (Thursday, January 15th)
el autobús (ow-toh-BOOS) - bus
Voy a la oficina en autobús. - I go to the office by bus.

Loony BoB
01-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Hay el autobús.

Lookit me, I'm Spanish!

rubah
01-15-2009, 05:01 PM
that doesn't really make sense b0b. I don't think you'd use hay to mean 'right there' would you? now Hay un autobús on the other hand would make sense.

Cleric
01-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Hay un autobus makes more sense, but what bob said still kind of makes sense depending on what he's trying to say.
Rubah Says: There is a bus.
Bob Says: There is the bus.

Loony BoB
01-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Doesn't 'hay' mean 'there is' and 'el autobús' mean 'a bus'? Don't tell me we need to learn a whole new syntax type thing. :(

EDIT: Oh yay. I made sense! See, the fact that all of these definitions are including 'el' etc. in them is what makes it confusing for me. Mulley says "el autobús" means "bus" when really it means "the bus" or "a bus"...

Flying Mullet
01-15-2009, 05:38 PM
The "el" is there to help you learn the gender.

rubah
01-15-2009, 05:52 PM
I mean hay is more like "there exists" rather than "there exists right over there". For that, you'd want to use something like aquí or ahí. You can't just literally translate everything because a lot of our english forms are nonstandard or colloquial.

for hay el autobus, it would be like you were having a discussion about ways to drive from edinburgh to london, and someone wants to take a train, but you can afford it, and your car is broken, so someone suggests, 'well, there is the bus.' meaning the bus exists for the taking. You still wouldn't probably say it like that in spanish though

Caraliz
01-15-2009, 06:00 PM
BoB es un autobus.

rubah
01-15-2009, 06:01 PM
es la verdad.

The Man
01-15-2009, 06:08 PM
El autobús está allí. I think that's right; it's been at least a year since my last Spanish class and I haven't had anyone to practice with since then :( I understood most of the words in this thread though, and everything Mulley's posted so far, so it's not that bad; I just probably wouldn't be able to form particularly coherent sentences on my own.

Flying Mullet
01-15-2009, 07:05 PM
For that, you'd want to use something like aquí or ahí.
That reminds me of a commercial for learning Spanish that I used to hear on the radio growing up. They were advertising using puns and such to help you learn Spanish:

aquí - here. There is <i>a key</i> here.

They must have been doing something right because I've never forgotten that.

Caraliz
01-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Aaron Freed es un mono. :greenie:

Ramza Beoulve
01-15-2009, 11:09 PM
"Bueno, ahí/allí/allá está el autobús" - Well, there is the bus (when signaling or seeing the bus, the difference between ahí, allí and allá being the distance (near/further away/less precise and further away)

"Bueno, está el autobús" - Well, there is the bus (as an alternate to using another transport, and a more correct use, depending on the zone and the user, could be "Bueno, hay la opción del autobus" = "Well, there is the option of the bus")

"Hay" signals existence, like in "there are buses in my home" = "hay camiones en mi casa", but you don't know how many, or if there are more in existence (I don't remember exactly right now, I'll bring you a definitive answer latter) :shifty: (when using "the", you need to use the correct translation of the verb to be)

Examples:
"Here is a bus" = "Aquí hay un autobús"
"Here is the bus" = "Aquí está el autobús"
"Here are 5 buses" = "Aquí hay 5 autobuses"
"Here are the 5 buses" = "Aquí están los 5 autobuses"

The Man
01-16-2009, 03:39 AM
Aaron Freed es un mono. :greenie:

I'm a monkey? :erm:

rubah
01-16-2009, 04:17 AM
Aaron Freed es un mono quí lleva los pantalones de uno gato.

The Man
01-16-2009, 05:40 AM
cats don't have pants. You lie.

also, *que

rubah
01-16-2009, 05:44 AM
que or QUIEN?!

Pajamas are Pants
Cats have Pajamas
Therefore, Cats have Pants.

The Man
01-16-2009, 05:48 AM
I think it could be either, but now that you mention it I'm not entirely sure whether that aspect of Spanish grammar works the same as in English. Probably not.

cats have pajamas?

rubah
01-16-2009, 05:58 AM
you've never heard of the cat's pajamas?

it works that way in french (kinda. the rule is even weirder than in english)

The Man
01-16-2009, 06:18 AM
that's like, a '50s term. I was under the impression it had fallen into disuse, implying that cats no longer have pajamas. :(

rubah
01-16-2009, 06:21 AM
when was the last time you looked at a cat? they definitely have pajamas.

The Man
01-16-2009, 06:57 AM
if by "pajamas" you mean "a fur coat" then perhaps.

Flying Mullet
01-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Viernes, 16 de Enero / (Friday, January 16th)
ir de compras (EER deh KOHM-pras) - to go shopping
¿Quieres ir de compras? - Do you want to go shopping?

Flying Mullet
01-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Sábado, 17 de Enero / (Saturday, January 17th) & Domingo, 18 de Enero / (Sunday, January 18th)
la tienda (TYEHN-dah) - store
Hay muy buenas tiendas en la ciudad. - There are very good stores in the city.

Lunes, 19 de Enero / (Monday, January 19th)
hoy (OY) - today
Hoy celebramos los derechos humanos. - Today we celebrate human rights.

Martes, 20 de Enero / (Tuesday, January 20th)
la igualdad (ee-gwahl-DAHD) - equality
En esta ciudad luchamos por la igualdad. - In this city, we fight for equality.

Miércoles, 21 de Enero / (Wednesday, January 21st)
la justicia (hoos-Tee-syah) - justice
Queremos justicia... - We want justice...

scrumpleberry
01-21-2009, 04:56 PM
What is with all this liberalism in this calendarrr?

Flying Mullet
01-21-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm guessing these are related to MLK Jr. Day.

rubah
01-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Viernes, 16 de Enero / (Friday, January 16th)
ir de compras (EER deh KOHM-pras) - to go shopping
¿Quieres ir de compras? - Do you want to go shopping?

Attention BoB: ir is a really really irregular verb. Conjugate with caution.

Flying Mullet
03-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Viernes, 23 de Enero / (Friday, January 23th)
el día (DEE-ah) - day
Mi día favorito es el viernes. - My favority day is Friday.

Sábado, 24 de Enero / (Saturday, January 24th) & Domingo, 25 de Enero / (Sunday, January 25th)
frío (FREE-oh) - cold
¿Vas a salir? Hace mucho frío. - Are you going out? It's very cold.

Lunes, 26 de Enero / (Monday, January 26th)
los guantes (GWAHN-tehs) - gloves
Necesito mis guantes. - I need my gloves.

rubah
03-02-2009, 04:04 PM
tardando mucho. . .

Yar
03-02-2009, 04:13 PM
El día de los guantes hace mucho frio.

Rebellious Eagle
03-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I've been taking Spanish for nine years and still don't know how to say anything useful. I know how to say "The balls are not food!" and that's about it.

Flying Mullet
03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
I've been working in my kitchen for the last month, so I haven't been around my Spanish one-a-day calendar in a while. I'm still listening to some learn Spanish mp3's in the car as well.

Caraliz
03-04-2009, 07:25 AM
tu eres un homosexualidad

Flying Mullet
03-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Miércoles, 28 de Enero / (Wednesday, January 28th)
el invierno (een-BYEHR-noh) - winter
Ha sido un invierno muy fuerte. - It's been a harsh winter.

Jueves, 29 de Enero / (Thursday, January 29th)
¿cuántos? (KWAHN-tohs) - how many?
¿Cuántos días faltan para el verano? - How many days until summer?

Viernes, 30 de Enero / (Friday, January 30th)
la estación (ehs-tah-SYOHN) - season
Hay cuatro estaciones en un año. - There are four seasons in a year.

NeoTifa
03-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Cuantas chicas gorda puede ajustar en tu carro?

Caraliz
03-05-2009, 03:21 AM
Haha fat girls.

Unas mujeres en Estados Unidos estan muy muy muy gorda.

Me gusta gorda mujeres porque estan muy muy guapo. Mmmm!

Shiny
03-05-2009, 03:58 AM
I learned how to say slang in Spanish from one of my teachers. "Oye tia!" Followed by a "I know you dun't!"

Ramza Beoulve
03-05-2009, 05:38 AM
Cuantas chicas gorda puede ajustar en tu carro?
"¿Cuántas chicas gordas pueden entrar en tu carro?"

Unas mujeres en Estados Unidos estan muy muy muy gorda.

Me gusta gorda mujeres porque estan muy muy guapo. Mmmm!
"Algunas mujeres en Estados Unidos están muy muy muy gordas"

"Me gustan las mujeres gordas porque están muy muy guapas. ¡Mmmm!"

And that slang Shiny mentioned is used in Spain (At least I think so, maybe Shiny is talking about someone's aunt (o.O))

NeoTifa
03-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Hey I are suck at the Spanish. Shaddup!

Flying Mullet
03-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Sábado, 31 de Enero / (Saturday, January 31st) & Domingo, 1 de Febrero / (Sunday, February 1st)
¿cuál? (KWAHL) - which?, what?
¿Cuál es tu estación favorita? - What is your favorite season?

Lunes, 2 de Febrero / (Monday, February 2nd)
el coche (KOH-cheh) - car
Necesito un coche nuevo. - I need a new car.

Martes, 3 de Febrero / (Tuesday, February 3rd)
¿qué? (KEH) - what?
¿Qué tipo de coche quieres? - What type of car do you want?

Shiny
03-06-2009, 12:45 AM
I think I was supposed to say oye chica. Tia is just weird.

NeoTifa
03-06-2009, 01:29 AM
¿Cuál carro/coche tu ajustes las chicas muy gordas?

rubah
03-06-2009, 02:12 AM
I think ajuster is like to adjust like in a fitting for clothing xD

NeoTifa
03-06-2009, 02:12 AM
XD damn dictionary.com. I didn't learn that verb :p

Flying Mullet
04-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Miércoles, 4 de Febrero / (Wednesday, February 4th)
económico/a (eh-koh-NOH-mee-koh/kah) - economical/economy (adj.)
Prefiero un coche económico. - I prefer an economy car.

Jueves, 5 de Febrero / (Thursday, February 5th)
el medio ambiente (MEH-dyo ahm-BYEHN-teh) - environment
Uno que sea bueno para el medio ambiente. - One that's good for the environment.

Viernes, 6 de Febrero / (Friday, February 6th)
el tráfico (TRAH-fee-koh) - traffic
Esta cuidad tiene mucho tráfico. - This city has a lot of traffic.

Caraliz
04-08-2009, 01:32 PM
El medio ambiente esta mal quien Flying Mullet no es. :(