PDA

View Full Version : Wii Sports The Best Selling Video Game Ever.

Depression Moon
01-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Wii Sports is the Most Successful Videogame of All Time | VG Chartz.com - Video Game Sales Charts - Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Wii, PS3, Xbox360, DS, PSP, PC (http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2724)

Discuss.

XxSephirothxX
01-08-2009, 01:07 AM
I added "Selling" to you title so as to avoid whining. :monster:

Momiji
01-08-2009, 01:16 AM
That seems hard to believe, but hey. Who DOESN'T like bowling from home instead of embarrassing themselves at a real bowling alley?

Yar
01-08-2009, 02:44 AM
Poor Mario.

Vyk
01-08-2009, 03:08 AM
What happened to Final Fantasy 7? :[

Sephex
01-08-2009, 03:16 AM
This is all my fault you guys. I bought like ten thousand copies of this game.

Zora
01-08-2009, 06:13 AM
Honestly, should it count? Outside of Japan, it WAS a promo. Anyways...

Yar
01-08-2009, 06:16 AM
Honestly, should it count? Outside of Japan, it WAS a promo. Anyways...Well, wasn't Mario packaged with the NES as well?

Momiji
01-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Does this mean that the Mii becomes Nintendo's mascot since it outsells all of the Mario games (not combined obviously)? :p

sdm42393
01-08-2009, 07:44 AM
*sigh*
Of all the games, why couldn't it be one that's at least as fun as Super Mario?
But you just have to love that the best selling games of all time are Ninendo games.

Markus. D
01-08-2009, 11:48 AM
The facts are irl too, I once overheard some father-like person cavorting in coversation with another male of the same kinda-looking status.

Praising and purchasing a Wii just 'cause of the simple/effective concept.

The Last Ancient
01-08-2009, 03:56 PM
That's just pathetic. This gimmick game on this gimmick system is so ridiculously successful.

Depression Moon
01-08-2009, 04:48 PM
I added "Selling" to you title so as to avoid whining.
Now you took out the fun in it

What happened to Final Fantasy 7? :[
It was never at the top, but close.

I don't remember if Super Mario bros 3. was packaged with the NES, but if it was I'm surprised that the Wii has sold more than it especially in under two years and with the state of the economy. I wish it was a better game though oh well.

scrumpleberry
01-08-2009, 05:11 PM
This doesn't bother me at all x) Should it?

Aydin
01-25-2009, 06:21 AM
B-But... it shouldn't even count because it came packaged with the console. Neither should the other games that have come packaged with the console.

Madame Adequate
01-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Gaming is dead.

Old Manus
01-25-2009, 11:41 AM
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/7/75/Wii_drums.gif

JKTrix
01-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Bigger news is Wii Play. It's the newest game on that list and it didn't come with the system. Also technically shouldn't count because it comes with another controller, but still.

From what I recall, New Super Mario Bros had a similar level of sales as Super Mario Land, but I guess they only put 10 on that chart.

Rase
01-25-2009, 05:26 PM
1. The bundling of Wii Sports with the Wii console is integral to the success of the Wii console - Wii Sports adds value to the package and isn't "given away" with the console. It is purchased alongside the console.

2. The game isn't bundled in Japan and has managed to sell at a 45% attach rate with the Wii console showing that many Wii owners in Japan bought a Wii for Wii Sports.

3. Bundle sales of all other games are counted. Super Mario Bros wouldn't have sold 40 million as a stand-alone title but who can say how many it would have sold - maybe 20 million, maybe 25 million. Same is true of Wii Sports, Tetris, Duck Hunt, Super Mario World and most of the other titles on the best seller list. Sure, the act of bundling the game with the console will serve to increase its sales but to totally remove the game because of the fact it has been bundled is not right either. It is totally conceivable that as a stand-alone title Wii Sports would have sold well over 20 million units by now given the attach rate seen in Japan and also seen with both Wii Play and Wii Fit in the west. So to remove the title also seems totally unfair - especially given point 1.
Since their stance is clearly laid out makes perfect sense to me. Besides, it not like I'm going to be caring about this much after I post this reply, so whoop-de-doo, congrats Nintendo and stuff.

Now back to playing Battlefield: BC on my roomies 360.

Croyles
01-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Gaming is dead.

I agree.

Depression Moon
01-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Gaming is dead.

I agree.
How is gaming dead with new bounds and innovations we have now. Competitive gaming is far larger now that we can play people across the world in our own living rooms, not to mention we also have our own professional sports team.

Psychotic
01-25-2009, 07:14 PM
I have pledged my allegiance to the Microsoft corporation, and thus the increased profits to the Nintendo corporation are a bitter blow to me. I shall have to take a couple of days off work to try to come to terms with the trauma.

Rocket Edge
01-26-2009, 07:17 PM
B-But... it shouldn't even count because it came packaged with the console. Neither should the other games that have come packaged with the console.
My thoughts here.

KentaRawr!
01-26-2009, 09:54 PM
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/7/75/Wii_drums.gif

It should really be noted that he was playing a game in which you drum.

Madame Adequate
01-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Gaming is dead.

I agree.
How is gaming dead with new bounds and innovations we have now. Competitive gaming is far larger now that we can play people across the world in our own living rooms, not to mention we also have our own professional sports team.

It's a shame that while there are exceptions, most of the big-selling names these days are dire.

If there was justice everyone would be talking about Dwarf Fortress being the most downloaded game ever, Hearts of Iron III would be hugely looked forward to, and everyone would fondly remember SMAC. Sorry if I'm bitter and jaded, and don't get me wrong - I really like the 360 and plenty of very mainstream games on it - but waggle is the new buttom bash. And I'm pretty sure people wouldn't be too happy if so many major games were suddenly trying to shoehorn Track & Field controls into their Dead Rising. Nintendo's genius was in marketing, not gaming.

KentaRawr!
01-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Perhaps Nintendo's genius was in marketing, but some of the efforts that game designers have done with the Wii Remote aren't exactly bad, and do offer an improved experience. I don't think Wii Sports represents that.