PDA

View Full Version : We're Back and Better!

Depression Moon
01-10-2009, 02:57 AM
I've been reminiscing for a while now about old game franchises that might have failed one another when they made an attempt to comeback also games that deserved sequels, or just could have been improved. The subject here is to discuss some new improvements or innovations from previous games that you'll think that can/could/could've made it better.

I'll go first in saying that after going back and playing some old N64 games, one of them resulting in a frustration of a file getting erased, but to get to the point I think that Perfect Dark is a good game, but I think it could have been done better especially it's sequel. I know the franchise won't return to Nintendo because of Microsoft, but I'll still want to see Dark return probably in a remake. I think in today's standards the game's story needs to be a lot deeper and more interesting, and of course it would need some online play, but with my lack of experience on playing online games and FPS's, I'm not exactly sure how it should be done.

Next I'll go to The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. I know some of you will get me for putting this, but I don't care. Ocarina of Time isn't a bad game, but even when I had first played the game I thought that the story could have been a lot deeper and made the game that much better. It had great potential with Link's origins and Ganondorf who was a friend of Zelda's father. The story could've had some political tone with it, if it featured when Ganondorf was a friend of the king and when he had betrayed him and took over his kingdom. I woul'd've liked to know more about the night when Zelda escaped with Impa and possibly Ruto too. I thought the game was a little short, not much though and could have included just a bit more of sidequests. The battle with dark Link too I didn't realize was terrible before now, unless you keep on casting Din's Fire on him you can't beat him. That led to the result in two deaths for me and the erase of my game file which I have no idea why it happened. He blocks all of your attacks, on occasion he'll take one though. I didn't realize that the battle was poorly construced because every time before that I used the Biggoron Sword which he can't block. Zelda also has a problem too with making their bosses real easy or their dungeons predictable. They could fix that and make the bosses a little more challenging.

For sequels I say that Threads of Fate deserves one. Anyone who saw the secret ending to it can agree., but I'm unsure at the moment on exactly how they could make it better. i'll come back to that later. Sonic also needs to step up too and the only thing that i can say that they need to do to make it better is either get someone else to make it for them or for SEGA to actually take a note from Mario and make platforming and combat enjoyable.

Wolf Kanno
01-12-2009, 12:50 AM
I can agree that OoT is far from the flawless gem everyone makes it out to be. While I have no issues with the plot, I do have problems with the controls. The Z-Targeting made some battles more difficult and the insistence of using platforming style dungeons without an actual "jump button" caused more headaches...

As for titles that deserve a second shot...

Robotech: Battle Cry, it was a great game that just needed to be refined and expanded. Multi-player and redoing the controls for the Guardian mode would alone make that game infinitely better. More maps and the ability to use Destroids. The game had so much potential.

Depression Moon
01-12-2009, 01:26 AM
I didn't have any real problem with the platforming and Z-targeting. If you need to jump somewhere you just run off the cliff in the desired direction and you're there. It's still a great game, I just wished for a bit more of a challenge, with the exception of Dark Link.

Jessweeee♪
01-12-2009, 04:30 AM
Oh, Threads of Fate needs a sequel definitely. It is my life's mission to see to it that it HAPPENS! Even if it's fifteen or twenty or thirty years later!

Wolf Kanno
01-12-2009, 05:34 AM
I didn't have any real problem with the platforming and Z-targeting. If you need to jump somewhere you just run off the cliff in the desired direction and you're there. It's still a great game, I just wished for a bit more of a challenge, with the exception of Dark Link.

See, I felt Dark Link was easy, you just switch to the hammer and he doesn't copy you (or maybe I was just too fast for him...). I did have problems with platforming and Z targeting. I actually learned to fire the bow/slingshot without it cause it made things easier. I can't tell you how many times I fell in the fire temple or the battle against Ganon.

Threads of Fate does need a sequel, as well as Vagrant Story. :cool:

Momiji
01-12-2009, 05:47 PM

See, I felt Dark Link was easy, you just switch to the hammer and he doesn't copy you (or maybe I was just too fast for him...). I did have problems with platforming and Z targeting. I actually learned to fire the bow/slingshot without it cause it made things easier. I can't tell you how many times I fell in the fire temple or the battle against Ganon.

Threads of Fate does need a sequel, as well as Vagrant Story. :cool:

I'm the exact opposite. I always dreaded the Water Temple and Dark Link, though I always found Z-Targeting to be a piece of cake. :D

Depression Moon
01-12-2009, 06:37 PM
I just tried the hammer last time I played before my file got erased and he just blocked it. i should've gotten the biggoron sword like I usually do.

Wolf Kanno
01-12-2009, 07:23 PM
I just tried the hammer last time I played before my file got erased and he just blocked it. i should've gotten the biggoron sword like I usually do.

Funny, he never blocked me. The Water Temple has a bad rap but actually, once you figure out where all the switches are it goes by really fast, it just takes forever. The Fire temple was the only one that gave me issues cause I kept falling...:(

Laddy
01-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Baldur's Gate III
KOTORIII (The Old Republic dosen't count to me.)
Gitaroo Man 2
PaRappa The Rappa 3
Grandia IV

Bolivar
01-12-2009, 09:42 PM
There was an article I believe on gamestop.com where they talked about how the Sonic franchise needs to stop making new 3D games called "Sonic"; instead they need to take a cue from Megaman 9 and simply make "Sonic 4". 2D, awesome music, incredibly fast instances that simply could not be accomplished in a 3d setting. Personally I believe Sega has alot of 4's to be doing, namely Streets of Rage 4 and Shining Force IV, those games seem natural candidates for 3d, but as well as Sonic , I'm hoping the sales of the upcoming mega-pack of 40+ games for the PS3 & 360 might inspire this.

Wolf Kanno
01-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Baldur's Gate III
KOTORIII (The Old Republic dosen't count to me.)
Gitaroo Man 3
PaRappa The Rappa 3
Grandia IV

There's a Gitaroo Man 2?! :Eek:

I actually agree with the article concerning Sonic. Sonic Castlevania, and Mega Man have never transitioned successfully to 3D. Though I feel Sonic's issue has more to do with the developer's insistence on adding "variety" through the other characters. Most critics adore the traditional Sonic running levels, it was the other stuff they hated.

Laddy
01-13-2009, 02:16 AM
Apologies, typo, Wolf Kanno.

Moon Rabbits
01-13-2009, 02:20 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1114/3167818045_7231c97648_o.png

I want Twinsen to be uncancelled.

Also:
http://www.pixelate.de/uploads/images/cavestory.gif
Cave Story: Part Deux.

Evastio
01-13-2009, 02:31 AM
F-Zero definitely needs a sequel, hopefully one that'll become as if not more famous than all of the Falcon Punch memes out there. :mad:

There's nothing wrong with cracking a Falcon Punch joke every now and then, but people should at least attempt to enjoy something (like Captain Falcon and F-Zero) for what it is rather than what they make it out to be.

XxSephirothxX
01-13-2009, 02:34 AM
I'm the exact opposite. I always dreaded the Water Temple and Dark Link, though I always found Z-Targeting to be a piece of cake. :D
In an utterly perplexing twist, the Water Temple was the only dungeon in Master Quest that I thought was easier than the original. It is also entirely irrelevant to this topic.

Momiji
01-13-2009, 03:33 AM
In an utterly perplexing twist, the Water Temple was the only dungeon in Master Quest that I thought was easier than the original. It is also entirely irrelevant to this topic.

I got bored with Master Quest by the time I got to the Forest Temple. :p

Depression Moon
01-15-2009, 11:17 PM
I think that Nintedno needs to bring Donkey Kong Back. His last games were nothing really but rhythm games. I didn't really like Donkey Kong 64 either. I say let's make a Donkey Kong Country 4 and bring back the rideable animals and unique environments!

Wolf Kanno
01-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Rare doesn't work for Nintendo anymore and besides, Miyamoto didn't exactly like DKC. I believe he said, "Donkey Kong Country is proof that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the graphics are good." Granted, he apologized later for the statement.

I want an Evil Zone 2... As well as a real sequel to the Lufia series damn it!

I'm also surprised we don't have a new Golden Sun coming out considering that game just made for the DS. I'm tired of not being able to use the magic powers more effectively cause I'm stuck with the d-pad. I want some magic stylus action.