PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid Film

Depression Moon
01-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Most of us here probably already know that a Metal Gear Solid movie is in the works. What I want to discuss here with you is that do you think that this will be the video game movie that really represents its adaptation and not on a cheesy level or who do you think would be good in suitable roles, and also discussions about any future MGS movies if the first one happens to be successful.

For me I see it as a great opportune moment for a truly great video-game based film. It should be as the creator's inspiration came from movies. I don't know if the movie being made is based off the first, third, or any of the 8-bits, but I think it could be safe to say that it's not 2 or 4.

Christian Bale was offered the part of Snake and I think he can do okay although I would rather have David Hayter just for the nerdish quality. If they decide to make them all the way up to the fourth movie I think this actress could play one of the Beauty and The Beast unit members.

http://redsox.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Black_Snake_Moan/black_snake_moan_movie_image_christina_ricci__1_.jpg

This guy would be fantastic as Revolver Ocelot. Come on, he has the mullet and the stache!
http://i30.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/1218xm0.jpg

Markus. D
01-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Question. Before I google, is this film being made by Uwe Bowl?

or is it going to be a genuine film?

Bolivar
01-13-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm glad to hear he was offered the role, I think Bale could pull it off and bring that quality acting to the role that it desereves.

With all the months, sometimes years of prep actors put into roles, It should be Hayter. There's no one else. The most recognizable feature of Snake is his voice, and Hayter's voice acting has been an important part of what has made the games so special in the states. Show the man some respect. He's earned it.

Hell, let him write the screenplay, too. I think if Watchmen does good this March, he may just get it. Apparently he wrote an outline for MGS and it's been described as an "Apocalypse Now for the digital age".

I Don't Need A Name
01-13-2009, 10:01 PM
that is one epic stache
and who is the female anyway? Christina Ricci looking human for a change
yeah Bale would make a good Snake definatley, but Hayter is must really

Also, Bolivar, Hayter was ditched from the Watchmen team, so i dunno if his screenplay is included

Bolivar
01-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Also, Bolivar, Hayter was ditched from the Watchmen team, so i dunno if his screenplay is included

No, he received credit for his screenplay last year, and is currently acknowledged in the official credits along with Alex Tse for writing the film, as well as Dave Gibbons, the artist who drew the original comics.

Wolf Kanno
01-14-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm for David Hayter being Snake as well. Like others have stated, Snake's voice is very important.

I'm curious about the movie but I worry it will be standard Hollywood fair where the film is a watered down version of events so people new to the series can enjoy it. For once, I wish people would just make a video game/comic book movie for the people who are most likely be watching it, the fans.

Montoya
01-14-2009, 08:49 PM
My old high school history teacher would make the perfect Revolver Ocelot. He's only missing a finger, not a hand though.

edczxcvbnm
01-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Kurt Russel should reprise his role as snake...you know it will be awesome!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-14-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm for David Hayter being Snake as well. Like others have stated, Snake's voice is very important.

It's a lost cause, since Hayter himself hasn't done Snake's voice correctly since MGS2.

Depression Moon
01-14-2009, 09:08 PM
I started with 3 on it sounded fine to me. In 4 does he make him sound like an old man?

Old Manus
01-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Compared to the later games, Snake in MGS1 sounds like a small child.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-14-2009, 09:43 PM
His performances in MGS1 and even MGS2 are very smooth and understated -- and therefore very natural-sounding. In The Twin Snakes and onward, it just sounds like he's trying to pile on as much gravel as possible.

Depression Moon
01-14-2009, 10:51 PM
If they do a MGS1 or 2 movie would the same actor have to play as Liquid and Solidus too and change their voice?

Bolivar
01-15-2009, 06:56 PM
^ That would be interesting... shades of Dr. Strangelove!

darkchrono
01-17-2009, 04:21 PM
This will just be another botched attempt at trying to take something from one media and try to put it on another media.

How can you take something that relies on hours upon hours of story development and make it into something that is only 2 hours (possibly a little more) long and meet the satisfactions of the fan base. And that is another problem with trying to turn video games into movies is that the only people who really are that interested in it are those who have played the game.

Depression Moon
01-17-2009, 07:08 PM
This will just be another botched attempt at trying to take something from one media and try to put it on another media.

How can you take something that relies on hours upon hours of story development and make it into something that is only 2 hours (possibly a little more) long and meet the satisfactions of the fan base. And that is another problem with trying to turn video games into movies is that the only people who really are that interested in it are those who have played the game.

Obviously you've never played Metal Gear Solid nor know of it's background and inspirations.

darkchrono
01-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Yes I have and the thing that separates Metal Gear Solid games from many others of its type is its in depth storylines. Now tell me how are they going to bring what MGS brings to the table and make it good when they only have two hours to play with.

Depression Moon
01-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Well since you have played Metal gear Solid you know that the length of the game is only as such because of the tasks and trial and errors of the game player. If you were to only go about by the game's cutscenes and major conflicts then the three games that I've played would probably run out to be only a couple of hours though I believe that MGS1 would be a bit shorter as it's the shortest in the series.

If they can make a parallel or perhaps even better representation of the characters from the game's cutscenes, then they would be able to make a quality film. I believe a special edition of MGS3 had a DVD of the game in nothing but it's cutscenes and it turned out to be in the amount of length that I mentioned above. All in all it just takes a group with a passion.

I Don't Need A Name
01-17-2009, 10:10 PM
I see where dark chrono is coming from though. you're saying that with just the cutscenes, then it will come to a few hours. well what about the action inbetween, such as the boss fights. that would mean they would have to be left out due to film time constraints.
making a film of a game like MGS would be a tricky project, but MGS 3 definately lends itself well to a film. probably the logical place to start.

Depression Moon
01-19-2009, 10:06 PM
I don't think that the boss fights would have to be left out, because those characters are an important part of the story as they lead into different events. I am curious to imagine what the End battle would look like in a film. The sequences in between of course would have to be sped up on a basis.

Wolf Kanno
01-20-2009, 02:55 AM
I heard rumor that Kojima was toying with starting with MGS1. Personally, I feel he should start with the original Metal Gear and due to its story limitations, he could expand upon an earlier Snake, Gray Fox and Big Boss.

Captain Maxx Power
01-20-2009, 05:56 PM
It should be a Steven Seagal movie, since most of the plot of the MGS games is about the same level of intellectualism as his stuff.

Bolivar
01-20-2009, 06:21 PM
It should be a Steven Seagal movie, since most of the plot of the MGS games is about the same level of intellectualism as his stuff.

?

Old Manus
01-20-2009, 06:25 PM
I can't see an adaptation of any of the games being practical. It would have to be an original film imho