PDA

View Full Version : Masking IP for an FTP server

Lionx
01-13-2009, 08:28 AM
My friend recently got an FTP server of some sort that i use to log on at "My Computer" and basically what i want to know is, how the $#@% do i hide my IP address from him? He knows my log in and stuff but i dont trust the guy with my IP which he can get since he is the administrator of this file server. Basically is there any way i can hide my IP while still being able to log in and upload stuff for him? Thanks @_@

o_O
01-13-2009, 10:31 AM
The only practical way I can think of is to use a proxy server with your FTP program. Even if he did have your IP address, there's not a whole lot he's likely to be able to do so you can rest easy there. :p

crono_logical
01-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Any website you visit, you will leave your IP traces behind too, unless you use a proxy as face suggested :p Yes, we can see your IP here too just from you posting :D But really, you shouldn't be so paranoid, just keep your operating system and software up to date, and run a good firewall or connect from behind a router :p

Lionx
01-14-2009, 07:11 AM
I am behind a router though. But i guess knowing that this friend of mine can be shady is another thing. I will put up a good firewall however hopefully that will be enough. Thanks guys :)

Samuraid
01-17-2009, 08:07 AM
If he knows your login information, and you don't trust him, make sure to use a password you don't use anywhere else.