PDA

View Full Version : Back 2 Skool

Rye
01-13-2009, 02:54 PM
When did/are you going back to school for the second semester? What are you taking? =O

I go back to Rhode Island on Sunday. I'm half happy and half sad! But I'm happy because now that I have my PS2 back, maybe I can submit something for Monda's contest (http://forums.eyesonff.com/heart-body-kingdom-kingdom-hearts/122538-gummi-ship-contest.html#post2620746). =O

PS: Does anyone ever have those dreams that they've literally slept through two days worth of the first classes in an new semester or something?

Flying Mullet
01-13-2009, 03:03 PM
I started yesterday and I'm taking Operating Systems and Database Systems.

Peegee
01-13-2009, 03:20 PM
I haven't learned a thing in 5 years. I said 'the hell with this' and stopped learning.

A winnar is me.

Rye
01-13-2009, 03:27 PM
A bad asian is you. You don't stop until you have your doctorate in in Calculus. Shame shame!

I'm taking Bio, Anthropology, Sociology (of Family Life!), Psychology of Learning, and Intro to American Education. :jess:

Freya
01-13-2009, 04:22 PM
I started yesterday :P

I have Math, Interpersonal Communication, English, Sociology, and Newspaper. :p Which i have to be in class in like half an hour for sociology :O

Goldenboko
01-13-2009, 04:30 PM
High school, there's no break between semesters. Second will be starting soon, basically all the same courses, except no Advanced Hands on Technology and 19th Century American History Honors-> 20th Century American History Honors.

Tavrobel
01-13-2009, 05:28 PM
I don't go back until February. Light semester. But that's because I can't actually take anything else.

Calculus II
Introduction to Statics
Physics (more Mechanics)
Philosophy (of some random integration of multiple disciplines, computer science, and the world's problems)

Rye, that dream you had about sleeping through classes? That may be more indicative of reality for most students.

Del Murder
01-13-2009, 05:31 PM
I haven't been back to school in about 5 years. I can't believe a lot of you are still in high school.

Rye
01-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Rye, that dream you had about sleeping through classes? That may be more indicative of reality for most students.

My dream was a full on Rip Van Winkle, slept 2.5 days in a row, woke up, and realized that I missed over 2 days worth of classes, and my next class was in 10 minutes. xD I have those dreams at least once a semester.

Tavrobel
01-13-2009, 05:57 PM
I haven't been back to school in about 5 years. I can't believe a lot of you are still in high school.

So far, the only person who's posted in here still in high school is Goldenboko.

Del Murder
01-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Well all the others should be in class right now so I wouldn't expect them to be posting!

Roogle
01-13-2009, 06:03 PM
I am glad that I am done with school. I strongly prefer picking and choosing my vacation days and getting days off for major holidays while getting paid over having no control of my schedule.

demondude
01-13-2009, 06:05 PM
High school here! I went back a week ago.

rubah
01-13-2009, 06:31 PM
I started yesterday.

I'm taking Differential Equations(am I more asian than peegies now?!), Discrete Mathematics, Dynamics, Thermodynamics, and Creative Writing. I'm kinda excited about having a non engineering/math class this semester! I didn't have any last semester. My writing has gotten so much worse.

qwertysaur
01-13-2009, 06:42 PM
I go back the 26<sup>th</sup> :p

Rye
01-13-2009, 06:46 PM
I can't imagine having my major every semester for almost 2 years, rubah. I think I'd die! I like having my Gen Eds now. Next year in England, it's all English, all the time. A million essays of Englishy horror. And then when I get back, it's two years of education classes and student teaching with maybe one English class punctuating that. xD This is my last semester of joy.

Goldenboko
01-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Well all the others should be in class right now so I wouldn't expect them to be posting!

Pft! Paying attention in class is for losers. And people with plans in life.

Tavrobel
01-13-2009, 06:50 PM

Not if the class is relevant to your major. Or if colleges are recording your grades.

Rye
01-13-2009, 06:51 PM
I think I might be the only person who doesn't facebook and internet it up during lectures. I don't bring my laptop because I can't resist temptation. Besides, I learn better from writing. =O

Goldenboko
01-13-2009, 06:56 PM

Not if the class is relevant to your major. Or if colleges are recording your grades.

Refer to...

And people with plans in life.

kikimm
01-13-2009, 06:56 PM
I started yesterday too, like some people. Yesterdays classes were French and American government, both of which I enjoy/am excited about, so yay. And then on Friday I go in for my weekly 4-hour English class. :p So goodness all around. I am so glad that I didn't choose to take math this semester. It would probably be better to get it over with, but now I haven't taken a math class since....2006, so I need some time to catch up. :|

I am happy to be back in school after such a long break from it. =)

Tavrobel
01-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Refer to...

I'm sorry, but the only plan I could fathom you as having is the plan on how your body parts will be when they get horribly devoured by the ravenous fangs of a horde of hungry people. Getting eaten doesn't require that you listen to a teacher, unless they've discovered a way for you to lose fat, improve your skin, and produce bodily juices while in class. And I don't mean having sex with someone in class.

I apologize for forgetting that you are, in fact, a pathetic piece of poultry and that I, within three years will have the ability and knowledge to instantly annihilate 50,000 people within the blink of an eye. All I have to do is leave out dx.

rubah
01-13-2009, 07:26 PM
most of the professors I've had either 1) forbid laptop use without prior approval or 2) have their classes deep in an underground engineering building with foot thick cement walls where the likes of 802.11 cannot penetrate. So not too many laptops.

I Took the Red Pill
01-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Wednesday. Which is good because it's only a 3 day school week, followed by a long weekend for MLK day. :chef:

Calculus II
Introduction to Logic
Introduction to Shakespeare
Existentialism in America

Rantz
01-13-2009, 08:00 PM
I went back last week. I'll be taking:

Design Methods and Processes
Extended Design Methods
Design Project
Computer Mediated Communication

Ramza Beoulve
01-13-2009, 08:09 PM
I started yesterday, I'm taking:

* Manufacture Technology
* Control Engineering
* Laboratory of Industrial Electronics
* Design of Machine Elements
* Microcontrollers
* Social and Citizen Responsibility

I'll love this semester :(

Goldenboko
01-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Refer to...

I'm sorry, but the only plan I could fathom you as having is the plan on how your body parts will be when they get horribly devoured by the ravenous fangs of a horde of hungry people. Getting eaten doesn't require that you listen to a teacher, unless they've discovered a way for you to lose fat, improve your skin, and produce bodily juices while in class. And I don't mean having sex with someone in class.

I apologize for forgetting that you are, in fact, a pathetic piece of poultry and that I, within three years will have the ability and knowledge to instantly annihilate 50,000 people within the blink of an eye. All I have to do is leave out dx.

I could be mistaken... but I think I was just raped.

Aerith's Knight
01-13-2009, 08:26 PM
I believe my schedule was something like this(besides projects and crap):

- Signal processing
- Fourier Analysis & Laplace Transformations Advanced II
- Electronics Advanced III
- Algoritmes for BIO-MYM
- Transportfysics advanced II
- Moleculair Cell Biology

I think that's about it. The last three are on the highest level of our education system(that says a lot here), and I just know I'm going to fail them. ;_;

Tavrobel
01-13-2009, 08:28 PM

There's your lesson for you. Be careful with what I do and don't bother to regard in my posts. If I ignored it, I spared you.

escobert
01-13-2009, 08:41 PM
never!

Caraliz
01-13-2009, 08:51 PM
I can't wait to go back! We just have to decide where the hell we're going to stay for the next couple of years so we don't move around all the bloody time. xD

I was thinking about taking English and Mathematics courses. English for fun, math for a potential major. I was considering maybe accounting or bookkeeping. Or maybe computer classes, like graphic design or ... who knows! There are so many possibilities.

XxSephirothxX
01-13-2009, 09:36 PM
I started on Thursday. This semester is a bit lighter than last, when I took:

Film as Literature (3)
Introduction to Folklore (3)
The 20th Century American Novel (3)
Writing for the Web (3)
Intro to New Media (3)

I was busybusybusy. This semester I'm only at 12 hours with:

Editing and Design (4)
New Media Productions (3)
Literary Topics: Cormac McCarthy and Larry Brown (3)
New Media Digital Brown Bag Seminar (1)
Physical Fitness (1)

It's a lighter load, but it's also a little funky since I have a lab and a once-a-week seminar. Instead of having identical MWF/TR schedules, I have an extra class on Tuesdays and an extra class Fridays.

Rye, you should take your Freshman and Sophomore years as an opportunity to skip and/or sleep through classes that don't have attendance policies. You can't skip the important stuff later on!

Rye
01-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Oh, I wish, Azar. Every single class I took in my first semester was a class where quiz is either given nearly everyday, or there was a very strict attendance policy. The only one I could skip was Psychology, but I really actually enjoyed it. xD

Zeldy
01-13-2009, 09:44 PM
My subjects don't change; Sociology, Media Studies, Photography and English Literature.

We're doing education this term in Sociology though, documentaries in media, fashion portaiture in photography and poetry (Robert Browning) and 'a view from the bridge' this term in English. :spin:

XxSephirothxX
01-13-2009, 09:47 PM
My favorite thing about going to a 35,000+ person university is that the large lecture classes don't usually have strict attendance policies, or only rarely check attendance. Every semester up to this year I had at least one skip class!

Freshman Year

American Government - attended first half of semester
Physical Science - Went to 2 classes.

Sophomore Year

Computer Science - First day of lecture; three tests.
Physical Geography - Quiz days; test days.

Man, I miss it. :(

Advent Child
01-13-2009, 09:55 PM
I went back last monday, and my classes are:
Urbanization (Urban Geography)
Environmental Issues
Statistical Analysis
Gemstones

Yeah, I think skipping a good amount of class at university is the norm... Most people I know skip at least a few now and then. I usually don't go if I have to wake up too early.

rubah
01-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Writing for the Web (3)
"how to blog"?

as for skipping classes, they like to give you unannounced quizzes that you can't make up. Or you absolutely need to get every bit of information. ;_;

Jessweeee♪
01-13-2009, 10:50 PM
My school has break, then two weeks of the first semester, then exams, then a day off (just fell there by coincidence) and then the second semester. It's weird D:

Rye
01-14-2009, 08:15 PM
My time table is so much better now that I'm not taking Italian. xD

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ryechuuu/timetable-1.jpg

Gwawr
01-14-2009, 09:31 PM
I was back to school in a teaching capacity on the 6th, and many of my students were back then. In other schools (namely the private ones), they were back one week later.

My timetable isn't too bad this year. I have about 25hrs harp and a couple of hours piano, then one on cello. Doable.

Madame Adequate
01-14-2009, 09:35 PM

There's your lesson for you. Be careful with what I do and don't bother to regard in my posts. If I ignored it, I spared you.

Oh http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif, tavrobel's a serious badass guys, watch out! :Eek:

Tavrobel
01-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Oh http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif, tavrobel's a serious badass guys, watch out! :Eek:

Precisely!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a giant teddy bear to go hug and a girl that is waiting to reject me three times in the span of five minutes. I'm going for a new record.

Momiji
01-14-2009, 09:40 PM
I went back on the 12th. I'm taking:

Child Psychology 235
Abnormal Psychology 350
Intro to Fields in Psychology 100 (wouldn't be taking this unless it was required. :mad:)
Geology (god I can't wait to get my laptop back for this class, it's so dull)
English Composition 131 (Piece of cake.)

Child Psychology and Abnormal Psychology are the highlights of this semester. I'm excited for those. Psy 100 and Geology can go die in a fire.

Shiny
01-14-2009, 10:23 PM
I started this Monday. Today I have off. Yesterday a location manager came and talked with us. He revealed an interesting tidbit that virtually every New York City film student can close down streets during filming, though you've gotta fill out paper work. But who cares? It's free. It's something that in L.A., you can't do without paying a ton of money.

XxSephirothxX
01-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Writing for the Web (3)
"how to blog"?

as for skipping classes, they like to give you unannounced quizzes that you can't make up. Or you absolutely need to get every bit of information. ;_;
Yeah, it was a fun class and we did some cool projects, but I don't think I learned anything about writing.

Your curriculum is obviously a little more challenging than the average college student's, too. :p Hardcore engineering courses aren't the types you can really skip out on.

Jiro
01-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Start my final year of high school on the 29th of January. That's like two weeks away :O