PDA

View Full Version : Most powerful videogame moment?

Rocket Edge
01-14-2009, 03:16 AM
I started playing some old-school PS1 there today, and during a loading screen my mind wandered to scenes that really stayed with me from that particular console. Now I'm not really a sappy person by nature but, for me it has to be when Squall rescued Rinoa from the Sorceress Memorial in VIII. It's just the way the game had built up at the time and it really got to me. I thought it was epic.

What's that one moment in gaming that has stayed with you the most over the years?

Bunny
01-14-2009, 03:23 AM
My little brother bawling when you kill Edge's parents in Final Fantasy IV. Makes me crack up to this day.

Jessweeee♪
01-14-2009, 03:41 AM
The scene in FFX just before you fight Yunalesca. Auron got, like, one of the coolest lines in the whole series.

Cyric
01-14-2009, 04:52 AM
Mine is from FFX as well:

When Tidus first finds out, at the Al Bhed home, what happens to Summoners when they summon the final aeon to defeat Sin.

The first time I played through that part, I felt my heart drop into my shoes. However, it's even more powerful when you hear it with the Japanese voices, especially with the emotion that's in Lulu's voice.

Karellen
01-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Mother 3, chapter 1.

Wolf Kanno
01-14-2009, 09:32 AM
The final scene in MGS3 at The Boss' grave after you learn the truth.

The revelations about Fei Fong Wong in Xenogears. The destruction of Solaris, Id's first physical appearance.

The deaths of Psycho Mantis, Sniper Wolf, Vulcan Raven, and the Cyborg Ninja.

The ending to Ico

The first time your main character uses the Evoker and the entire final part of Persona 3, Starting in January and concluding to the very end of the game.

The Opera scene from FFVI

Crono's death and rebirth

Just to name a few...:cool:

Heath
01-14-2009, 11:52 AM
The scene in Shadow Hearts: Covenant in which Alice is temporarily revived using the Emigre manuscript is pretty power. Here's this document that you've seen several times has done nothing but harm and it's being used and it seems to be going so well and then it doesn't work and she passes away again. Very powerful. Also in SH:C the bit when Ouka dies. I really liked Yoshiko Kawashima in the original and to have her die in Kato's arms a second time really made me quite sad.

scrumpleberry
01-14-2009, 11:59 AM
I can't decide

edczxcvbnm
01-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Seeing 1000 Frames Per Second in quake

McLovin'
01-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Well I'd say the scene in Advent Children where Seph first appears and One winged Angel plays is damn epic but it aint a game.

And the most epic moment in a game for me would be the FMV of Kuja's first appearance in FF9. Music and stuff was awesome.

Shoeberto
01-14-2009, 02:02 PM
The salute. God, that salute. It just destroyed me.

JKTrix
01-14-2009, 02:41 PM
http://i41.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2j4vdah.jpg
http://i39.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/jgp3ex.jpg
http://i43.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2640tue.jpg

3 games, essentially the same ending. Gets my man-tears every time... (I actually started watering up when looking these up on youtube)

Aerith's Knight
01-14-2009, 03:37 PM
I suppose the part where Sora kills himself would qualify. I liked the music.

Also,

http://www.mygadgetbag.com/Portals/0/Aeris%20Death.jpg

Bolivar
01-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Opening FMV of FFVII

A certain Act 5 scene in Metal Gear Solid 4 that was just painful to watch, hell the whole ending.

Ending of Unreal Tournament III was a bit cheesy, but very well done and atmospheric/ambiency

Final Fantasy VI Celes jumping

Final Fantasy X scene in Al Bhed home previously mentioned.

Wolf Kanno
01-14-2009, 07:58 PM

Made worse when you put it in First Person mode and watch the screen water up and get fuzzy, then you realize he's crying...

qwertysaur
01-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Scene at Home in FFX

Scene Before The fight With Yunalesca

Aerith's Death

A lot of the Social Link Stories from Persona 3. Maiko's really sticks out to me.

Bowser plummeting down into the pit in SMB3. (First Game I beat when I was 7 :D) :p

trancekuja
01-14-2009, 08:38 PM
The scene in Shadow Hearts: Covenant in which Alice is temporarily revived using the Emigre manuscript is pretty power. Here's this document that you've seen several times has done nothing but harm and it's being used and it seems to be going so well and then it doesn't work and she passes away again. Very powerful. Also in SH:C the bit when Ouka dies. I really liked Yoshiko Kawashima in the original and to have her die in Kato's arms a second time really made me quite sad.
Great choices and an amazing game may I say:)

I'll add one more Sacnoth game scene : Koudelka ( great & neglected RPG) - creepy Elaine appearance. This one I stayed with me for a long,long time:whaaa:

Depression Moon
01-14-2009, 09:10 PM
I would have to go with that as the number one as well. The second would probably be something FF related maybe IX's ending?

Ramza Beoulve
01-14-2009, 09:14 PM
The first colossus' fall in Shadow of the Colossus, and Mono's revival combined with Wander's rebirth.
The last battle in Omega Boost.
Zack's last battle and death in Crisis Core.
Zero's last battle with Weil.

Moon Rabbits
01-14-2009, 09:25 PM
All of Syberia.

Momiji
01-14-2009, 10:23 PM
What game(s) is/are those, Trix?

A lot of the Social Link Stories from Persona 3. Maiko's really sticks out to me.

I was about to say I can't think of any, and you just HAD to go and remind me of that particular story. It had me in tears. :kaocry:

Laddy
01-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Your lover dying and becoming a vampire in Baldur's Gate II.

Pete for President
01-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Definately Grey Fox' death in MGS1.

Shoeberto
01-15-2009, 02:02 AM
The first and last are Oeundan, the middle is Elite Beat Agents.

And they are pretty powerful. I like letting the entirety of the intro to Jumping Jack Flash play just so I can get myself pumped up. It's amazing.

Jessweeee♪
01-15-2009, 02:37 AM

I was about to say I can't think of any, and you just HAD to go and remind me of that particular story. It had me in tears. :kaocry:

OMG :(

That and the last few days. The January dorm music combined with the end just made me go :cry:

XxSephirothxX
01-15-2009, 02:47 AM
A man chooses. A slave obeys.

I Took the Red Pill
01-15-2009, 02:48 AM
That was pretty awesome.

Gilghamut
01-15-2009, 03:23 AM
Some of mine:

The death of Aeris

Xenogears - Fei turning into ID and raping that flying city

The sword fight at the beginning of FFVIII

Bahamut Vs. Alexander in FFIX

Yuna performing the sending in Kilika at the start of the game. And the ending.

The ending conversation between Snake and Otacon in MGS 2 regarding the Patriots

The final battle in MGS3 in the field of flowers, especially when the Snake Eater them begins to play + the narration that followed + the salute.

The return to Shadow Moses in MGS4, the microwave corridor, Snake Vs. Ocelot

In Heavenly Sword, the Kai and Flying Fox scene with Nariko screaming for Kai

Valkyria Chronicles, that one scene with the Main Character's sister followed up by Rosie singing

Shoeberto
01-15-2009, 03:29 AM
That was pretty awesome.
I really found myself underwhelmed by it. I think it was the fact that the game totally took over for you that I felt disconnected from it.

Not to mention that Ryan was a way better villain than Fontaine, whose voice annoyed the everloving crap out of me. "Yoooou thiiiink Muuuuthaaaa Goooooose baaaack therrrrre woooon't turrrrrrn ooooooon yooooou?"

Aerith's Knight
01-15-2009, 04:04 AM
Also,

Zack's last battle and death in Crisis Core.

this.

Vermachtnis
01-15-2009, 05:46 AM
The first and last are Oeundan, the middle is Elite Beat Agents.

And they are pretty powerful. I like letting the entirety of the intro to Jumping Jack Flash play just so I can get myself pumped up. It's amazing.

Me too. I love the E.B.A.E.B.A.E.B.A. chant!

I got to add the scene before the final dungeon of Wild ARMs 4. Gawn shot down eleven missiles before sacrificing himself for the team, by punching a missile.

Dreddz
01-15-2009, 10:00 AM
To save myself from repeating anyone Ill say the ending of Half Life 2 Episode 2. Pretty deep stuff going on there.

Pete for President
01-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Some of mine:

The return to Shadow Moses in MGS4, the microwave corridor

How could I have forgotten those? ;o The voice-flashbacks really do their thing in shadow moses.

Gilghamut
01-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Some of mine:

The return to Shadow Moses in MGS4, the microwave corridor

How could I have forgotten those? ;o The voice-flashbacks really do their thing in shadow moses.

They sure did. I was really overwhelmed with nostalgia when I came upon SM in MGS4 for the first time. The voice flashbacks were an absolutely brilliant addition by Kojima, they just added to that nostalgia factor.

Captain Maxx Power
01-15-2009, 05:59 PM
The Polito form is dead, insect. Are you afraid? What is it you fear? The end of your trivial existence? When the history of my glory is written, your species shall only be a footnote to my magnificence. I am SHODAN.

Booya.

Shoeberto
01-15-2009, 07:22 PM
To save myself from repeating anyone Ill say the ending of Half Life 2 Episode 2. Pretty deep stuff going on there.
Oh yeah... that one was pretty sadface. Geeze...

The Polito form is dead, insect. Are you afraid? What is it you fear? The end of your trivial existence? When the history of my glory is written, your species shall only be a footnote to my magnificence. I am SHODAN.
I had this one spoiled for me not long before I ran into it :( It's a really good twist, still, but the impact was lessened so much!

kikimm
01-16-2009, 03:24 AM
Hmm....the one that comes to mind right now is the reading of the letter at the end of Silent Hill 2...if that counts. =)

Levian
01-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Yes it does!

which reminds me that the scene with Lisa near the end of Silent Hill 1 was quite powerful too. Not just because of what happened, but also because of the peaceful music and setting in that room when everything up until that point, and also after, was all chaos and hell and stuff.

FF7 - Rocket Town, and taking off. The music helps here too.

Markus. D
01-16-2009, 09:09 AM
The first time you enter the position to begin picking up Planets/Stars/Whatever to roll up the Sun in We <3 Katamari.

Silent Hill II, xD! You heard me.

The part in Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria where Leone Poaches the Dragon Orb and reveals herself to be Hrist Valkyrie... Even though we saw it coming, it still blew us away.

To name a few..

arcanedude34
01-16-2009, 12:55 PM
The entire ending sequence of Snake Eater. *sniffle*

Gilghamut
01-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Forgot a few in my original post:

The awakening of the MC's persona in Persona 3 and 4.
Persona 4 - December 3rd is all that needs to be said about that day.

Necronopticous
01-16-2009, 03:22 PM
The first time I 1CC'd Mushihimesama MANIAC.

black orb
01-18-2009, 01:54 AM
>>> Anything from Suikoden 1 and 2. I cried with some scenes from those games.

Valkyrie Profile`s intro (platina`s death) and the "A" ending are worth mentioning too.

Depression Moon
01-18-2009, 07:05 PM
I also like to complement VII's introduction to Cid. That was about one good thing in that game. Mostly all of the FFVIII CG sequences left emotions in our heart as well.

Lionx
01-21-2009, 04:56 AM
When i had 0 health and managed to get through 2 characters in a row and win, Tiger Uppercutting my way to victory in front of everyone in the arcade i was in playing Capcom vs SNK 2. Definitely the most powerful moment ever expressed from a video game.

Sometimes, the most memorable moment in a video game come not from pretty CG or story seen sitting at home, but experiencing it outside the game from the OOOOOH's / cheers from the huge crowd watching and the competitive atmosphere in an arcade. Then shaking the opponent's hand in real life for a good game. :)

Kefka_Almighty
01-21-2009, 05:54 AM
Though I haven't beaten Shadow Hearts: Covenant yet, two scenes that have always gotten me were when you find out why Albert Simon had really attempted to control Amon within himself in the first game, and the small conversation between Simon and Yuri inside Yuri's subconscious when he goes to reawaken Amon.

I've also always thought the beginning to the first Shadow Hearts was one of the best openings I had ever seen.

The speech that Yuna gives at the very end of FF X, and the sequence of Tidus and Jecht sharing a high five at the very end always gets me. The music that plays while you're on the road going towards Yunalesca's stronghold always gets me too.

The ending sequence to Xenosaga Episode III.

Rocket Edge
01-22-2009, 12:29 AM
The speech that Yuna gives at the very end of FF X, and the sequence of Tidus and Jecht sharing a high five at the very end always gets me. The music that plays while you're on the road going towards Yunalesca's stronghold always gets me too.
Yeah I love that. They made that song play through the battle scenes for added effect and it worked beautifully.

Setzer Gabianni
01-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Well...

Auron's sending just had me in tears...

Specific character deaths in XII

Mark's sacrifice scene in Rogue Galaxy. That kinda affected me on a personal level..

Magixion
01-22-2009, 04:16 PM
The ending of Crisis Core was so epic, it actually made me choke up a bit. Loved every second of it, though.

Also, not sure why, but whenever Frog's Theme in Chrono Trigger was played, I always got uplifted and felt the need to fight on.

Carl the Llama
01-23-2009, 01:30 AM
Im quite suprised no one has mentioned the ending of the original MGS, the music aswell, also another suprise is the scene with Nanaki and Seto.

and lets not forget the Aerith death scene followed by "that" dialogue, it represents to me the most powerful gameing moment iv ever witnessed, and the only time iv felt tears in my eyes over a game.

Rase
01-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Realizing I was dying/dead in the middle of a nuclear fallout area halfway through Call of Duty 4.
The charge on Stalingrad in the original Call of Duty also always sends chills down my spine.
The Medical Pavilion in Bioshock also stuck with me for different reasons.

That's pretty much it. Most the the time points in games that are supposed to be poignant or sad or whatever just make me laugh.

Darkswordofchaos
01-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Tidus and yuna's hot wet kiss in macalania in FFX
also when auron gets sent
And the very end of FFVII before the credits when it shows aeris' face again from the begining.

SNOOZER
01-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Definately Grey Fox' death in MGS1.
Agreed. Best MGS character ever.

A couple of my favorites:

Breath of Fire 3, when Teepo dies. :cry:

Shadow of the Colossus when the Wanderer finishes his quest just to be stopped by the priest and his men which attacks him immediately as he arrives. At one point it shows his point of view and all he was focused on was his love interest, regardless of what was happening to him, he just really wanted to see her alive one last time. I mean, that's love right there. *sniff*

Shadow of the Colossus when you see the final colossus you have to slay then you go :Eek: then :( then :mad2:

Moon Rabbits
01-26-2009, 01:09 AM
Sniper Wolf's death > Grey Fox's death.

Haaaaaaaands down.

Couch
01-26-2009, 01:09 AM
The Prism Rangers showing up in Disgaea 2, now seven of them.
Okay, well it was epic in a funny way

LunarWeaver
01-26-2009, 03:45 AM
The first time I controlled a female character and discovered the great feeling of making the weaker gender do whatever I tell them to.

Darkswordofchaos
01-26-2009, 09:22 PM
When all of the character in FFIV
"DIED" and im all:cry: but then they all return and im all WTF you cant hve a good story if no body dies

WTF????

KentaRawr!
01-31-2009, 02:13 PM
My little brother bawling when you kill Edge's parents in Final Fantasy IV. Makes me crack up to this day.

What? You kill Edge's parents?

:cry:

Melodies_of_life
02-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Powerful moments that stick with ya, huh? These are just a few right now there are several games that I'm still in the middle of playing.

FFX - When Tidus finds out what happens to summoners when trying to defeat sin.

Star Ocean 3 - On the first disc when Fayt does bashes that ship into oblivion. I was like WTF?! O.o

Xenosaga I - The sequence when Kos-Mos asks Shion "Will feeling pain... make me... complete?"

Heavenly Sword - The sequence where Nariko decides to use the sword. and scene where Kai realizes where she has seen General Flying Fox before.

Markus. D
02-04-2009, 01:49 PM
In Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria when it's suddenly revealed back in Dipan that Dylan is actually Brahms, Lord of the Undead... seriously it was just like, WHOAH, WHOAH MANG!

Wolf Kanno
02-09-2009, 07:38 PM
I just had one last night playing through P3: FES. This evoked a response I didn't think I would get but I would like to avoid too many spoilers.

Doing the final "date" request with Elizabeth to visit the human world and choosing "Boldly Accept". I did not think I would get that outcome cause most of the Elizabeth requests are generally light hearted and comical. It really changed my perspective of things and oddly made me come to be more attached to Elizabeth. I know this is vague but those who played FES will understand.

I would also like to add Akihiko and Junpei getting their Persona upgrades as powerful and emotional moments.

Masamunemaster
02-10-2009, 04:09 AM
Im just going to say that most of the posts is stuff I remember and cant forget, like the last part of crisis core had me ready to ball...especially as you watch the last memories of aeris....its like you feel his pain all over again

a few more I didnt see wrote down

In parasite eve when you first see the rat transform

the bar fight in DMC3...just gets you ready to punch something

and when kuja destroys a planet without breaking a sweat...he said "I WILL PWN YOU ALL"...lol

EDIT: I forgot the time I out tanked a PLD on FFXI with a THF....I know you all think its impossible but it happened

Alex151
02-25-2009, 03:47 AM
Realizing I was dying/dead in the middle of a nuclear fallout area halfway through Call of Duty 4.

yeah I thought that was pretty hardcore and realistic.

I dont ever actually tear up in and games, it's more just a feeling I get when I watch it, and that CoD one was pretty deep

GameMasta
02-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Galuf's death in FFV

Aeris's death in FFVII

In Tales of Legendia, when Stella died

Oh, and FINALLY beating the last boss of Star Ocean 2 (PSP version). Damn, he was ridiculously powerful! >: (

I Took the Red Pill
02-26-2009, 12:29 AM
The fight with Miguel in Chrono Cross.

Levian
02-26-2009, 01:53 AM
Zelda Majora's Mask - Clock Tower Day 3

The music, the entire mood of the town. Everybody knows they're going to die! :D Not to mention the giant scary moon hanging over everyone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/levia/lozmmconsume_2.jpg

and so many other scenes in that game. Such a gloomy game that was.

Caraliz
02-26-2009, 02:13 AM
Someone died in Guild Wars that I didn't expect.

I concur with Aeris dying though. xD

scrumpleberry
02-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Leen was better.

ahahaha Grandia hor.

Del Murder
02-26-2009, 06:22 PM
The fight with Miguel in Chrono Cross.
That's a good one! The music is so appropriate too.

I don't think I have anything new to add. The endings to MGS3 and FFIX were pretty powerful. Other various FF scenes like Opera, Aeris's death, Auron's sending, FFVII's opening were all pretty good.

Quindiana Jones
02-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Watching the heroes' colour slowly fade as he killed more and more colossi (Shadow of the Colossus). I still have no idea how that game ends, as I sold my PS2 before I finished it, but I can imagine. Even if I only imagined the fading, the idea in my head is powerful enough.

Wolf Kanno
02-27-2009, 05:15 AM
You really should finish it. Its ending is beautiful. Granted, I liked Ico's a bit more but I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the change in the character as he slew the colossi.

Realm25
03-05-2009, 01:35 PM
I'd have to say returning Street Fighter 4 three days after I bought it. I had even reserved it, had extremely high hopes for it's awesomeness...but pfft..waste of money.

So yeah, returning it and getting 36 dollars store credit was a pretty powerful moment. It paid for Viva Pinata.

xXsarahXx
03-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Here are a few of my most touching games

Aeries dying
Yuna sending the dead on in killika, my god that scene is amazing so powerful
Tidus finding out Yuna is going to die
Kingdom hearts 1 ending, cried like a baby whilsty thinking nooo you cant be seperated, not again!!
FF8 ending FMV after the credits roll Squall and Rinoa together and happy made me blub like a baby.
Some of the scenes in Silent hill games, were powerful, not in a good way but were defo powerful, for instance When pyramid head rapes a maniquin monster in the apartment block of SH2, really drivs home the point of are these demented creatures really monsters, or are they human beings, nasty evil humans thats James has twisted into monstars in his own mind

I will more than likely think of more as the day goes on

Jessweeee♪
03-05-2009, 07:38 PM
I was spoiled about Aerith's death...Aeris..whatever :|

I read the FAQ and it was like, SPOILERS DON'T READ but then I read anyway D:

Linus
03-05-2009, 08:12 PM
In Diablo II, when friggin' Diablo comes out. That's cool as hell.

Also, in FFVII when I was fighting Emerald Weapon for the hundredth time, and suddenly he starts shaking and turns red and I'm all "OH GREAT, NOW WHAT THE SMURF IS HE DOING?!"
But I realized that that was the death animation for every mob in the game. =P Awesome.

FFIX near the ending when Zidane's friends come back to help him and "You Are Not Alone" is playing. Tearful.

Madame Adequate
03-05-2009, 10:03 PM
One of the most powerful for me is Nanaki finding out the truth about Seto in FFVII. It gets me every time. In contrast to Aeris, where I QQ'd the first time, but that was it - I've seen the Seto scene over 20 times and still cry. :p

In Dawn of War II When Dreadnought Thule shows up and kicks a retarded amount of ass. Actually pretty much everything Thule does, both before and after dying.

The ending of FFX is fairly powerful. I did tear up.

In Mass Effect, the entirity of Virmire is just one long, long level of serious win, from being totally pumped up because it is badass, plot reveals, and having to choose between Ashley and Kaiden. No third option exists. One of them dies, no exceptions. And BioWare did such a good job at making genuine characters who feel like real people that it hurts either way.

In Call of Duty 4, on two occasions. First, the intro: You're in control of a dude, only not so much, because he's being led to his execution. You can't do anything about it, just look around the place. Secondly, and even more harrowingly, is when the game subverts pretty much every FPS trope going and not only do you fail to stop the nuke going off, you're caught on the edge of the blast radius - and could have been safe if you hadn't stopped to save a downed pilot - and you die. You're in first person control of this guy and all you can draw is crawl around the charred ruins until he finally gives up from pain and exhaustion. No weapons, no enemies, nothing except about a minute of suffering. That's just not how an FPS game is supposed to be, and it's all the more powerful for it.

Shadow of the Colossus. The whole thing. I've rarely felt so conflicted while playing a game, but this is certainly one of the only ones I've felt I might not be able to carry on with, and considered that a good thing. If I hadn't had the heart to finish SotC I would have considered the money even better spent. I want those emotions in games, I want things that challenge and conflict, it's the same as the CoD4 stuff I was talking about. Seeing those mighty, often very beautiful and noble creatures struck down... not knowing if I could trust the dude I was bargaining with in the process, etc. That, more than anything, more than aesthetics or atmosphere or gameplay, is what makes SotC such an incredibly important game.

Croyles
03-09-2009, 04:24 AM
Several scenes but i can only be bothered to mention one at the moment.

Zachs last battle and death. Although it gets ruined straight afterwards with that horrible song...

Eiko Guy
03-12-2009, 02:29 PM
When crono died in Crono Trigger I was planning to an hero myself.

As well as when Home was destroyed in Final fantasy ten

Momiji
03-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Wow, I never knew CoD4 had such a deep ending. I may actually have to play the game instead of just multiplayer on Live. :p

Skyblade
03-13-2009, 05:21 AM
In Mass Effect, the entirity of Virmire is just one long, long level of serious win, from being totally pumped up because it is badass, plot reveals, and having to choose between Ashley and Kaiden. No third option exists. One of them dies, no exceptions. And BioWare did such a good job at making genuine characters who feel like real people that it hurts either way.

Not to mention that totally sweet assault music that they felt was too cool to include on the OST. Virmire was one of my favorite sections of the game, and it's still the one I load up the most whenever I play Mass Effect.

Big D
03-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Mine include a few predictable classics:

Metal Gear Solid - Wolf's death.

Metal Gear Solid 3 - Snake and EVA fight the Shagohod head-on after blowing up the bridge. Most epic cut-scene ever.

Final Fantasy VII - four moments from this game: Nanaki meets Seto for the first time.
Aerith's death.
Cid's "someone has to save the planet, and that someone is us" speech.
And finally...
When the Lifestream erupts all over the world to help overpower Meteor.
That last one gets me every time, no matter how many times I've seen it.

Final Fantasy VIII - Seeing Squall alive and well at the end. The first time I completed the game, I was in horrified anticipation that they might've been about to leave the ending open and unresolved, without revealing whether he'd actually made it or not. Even without that mystery, it's still a nice ending to this day.

Final Fantasy X - Two scenes from the ending:
"This is your world now", and "Yuna, I have to go."

Final Fantasy XII - Practically the entire first half of the ending, right after Vayne is defeated. In particular:
Judge Magister Zargabaath prepares to sacrifice the Alexander to save Rabanastre, without a moment's hesitation.
Ashe and Larsa declare the peace.
Basch and Noah make peace of their own.
Balthier and Fran also appear to sacrifice themselves for the greater good, but Bathier refuses to let his 'friend' (we all know it's totally more than that) die.

Syphon Filter - Gabe finds Lian alive in the Catacombs, but she's oblivious to his obvious but unspoken feelings because there's something more important happening.

Gran Turismo - Getting a gold medal on any time trial lap from a license test. Not quite as 'powerful' as these other scenes, but a certain feeling of elation nonetheless.

Ecco the Dolphin - After the storm, when Ecco lands into his home bay which is now completely devoid of life. After that, his conversations with Big Blue and the revelations from the Asterite.

Jessweeee♪
04-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Pretty much all of November, even though I thought the writers could have found a better way for Nanako to get kidnapped than OH LOOK SOUJI JUST GOT THIS LETTER IN THE MAIL SAYING SOMEONE CLOSE TO HIM WILL DIE. LET'S LEAVE HIS SEVEN YEAR OLD COUSIN ALONE WHILE WE GO TO THE POLICE STATION. Really Souji just should have stuck his arm in the TV right then and there like "See? I'm not lying, I can totally go through TVs."

The end of the fight against Izanami was pretty moving; the other three party members taking hits for you while Rise is like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ;_;

KentaRawr!
04-09-2009, 06:22 PM
FICKIE NOOOOOOOOOO ;-;

Rostum
04-09-2009, 10:42 PM
FICKIE NOOOOOOOOOO ;-;

When Lion sacrifices herself to save Vana'diel. :(

Depression Moon
04-09-2009, 11:12 PM
To sum up this thread, the greatest video game moment is all of us reminiscing on our favorite video game achievements and past times.

Marky Tee
04-10-2009, 12:13 AM
too hard to remeber
would defo be either from ff9 or something from legacy of kain

Medi
04-10-2009, 06:31 PM
The opening FMV of FFX-2.

KIDDING.

Let's see, so many...

Super Metroid - The final battle against Mother Brain. Fans of the game know what I mean.

Metroid Prime 2 - Battle against Quadraxis (both the music and the enemy are so epic), and the very end when Samus gives a little back hand wave to the Luminoth. She kicks ass.

Chrono Trigger - The whole game.

Chrono Cross - The aforementioned scene with Miguel in the Dead Sea, also when you go back in time and rescue Kid from Lucca's burning orphanage. Also, Kid's words at the Water Dragon Isle around the campfire. That song gets me every time.

FFI - I'm weird, I know, but something about the entire game appeals to me. It's quaint.

FFVII - The very very end, after the credits, where Nanaki and his apparent children look out over the ruins of Midgar. Probably one of my favorite scenes of all time. I also like the scenes in the Shinra building involving Jenova. There are a couple songs there I enjoy. Plus, any other scenes folks have mentioned.

FFVIII - All the FMVs. I don't know why, but they have always resonated with me.

FFIX - Kuja's appearance, all scenes involving Eidolons, the ending.

FFX - The sending at Kilika, the scene at Home, the scene with Yunalesca, the ending. They've all been said.

FFXII - While I find the entire game beautiful and memorable, my favorite scene is probably the one at the top of the Pharos at Ridorana, especially the tidbit involving Balthier and Fran. And the ending, of course.

Jessweeee♪
04-10-2009, 07:22 PM
How could I forget the moment when I realized it was Adachi? When I reached the text box just before the list of names, I was like. Oh my god. It's Adachi. Adachi did it. OMG. ADACHI HOW COULD YOU I THOUGHT WE WERE BEST FRIENDS FOREVER D:
Though that was more me than the game, they were all very calm about it.

strawberryman
04-13-2009, 07:14 AM
Speaking of Persona 4 (which I just got and I have to say is the most fun I've had with a game in a while), I got pretty choked up when Ryotaro crashed his car while chasing Namatame, then asked the protagonist to save Nanako because she's his "only reason for living along with lamenting that he was absolutely helpless to try and rescue her.

Oh, yeah, and just about everything Nanako says cuts right through me.

(Sidenote: P4's the first SMT game I've played, but after this I'd certainly be interested in the others.)

captkrill
04-13-2009, 03:16 PM
The last scene of Vivi.

Marky Tee
04-13-2009, 05:06 PM
when stiener and beatrix defend alexandria

the last few battles of advent children( does this count?)

when raziel succumbs to his fate.....at the end of defiance

Shadowdust
04-15-2009, 06:10 AM

Yeah, that was pretty powerful.

I have to add when Kaim from Lost Odysseyfinds his daughter only to lose her to death. The poor guy is finally reunited with someone he thought to be dead only to have her die right before his eyes again. It was very powerful to me.

Also the ending in FFVIII with Laguna flashing back to his proposal to Raine and then coming back to the present made me tear up a bit. FFX's ending had the same effect on me.

Quindiana Jones
04-15-2009, 10:08 PM
I can't believe I forgot this.

The Darkness:

1. Your girlfriend is executed in front of you.
2. You look in the mirror as you shoot yourself in the head (at the end of the first Act of 5!)
3. First entering the Underworld. :eek:
4. Everything in the Underworld. :eek:
5. The scene where you're being tortured by having a drill taken to your face. Ouch.
6. When you blow yourself up.
7. The ending scene.

That whole game is incredible.

Marky Tee
04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
apparently ICO is supposed to be awesome that way
i bought it years ago but have never played it lol

Jessweeee♪
04-15-2009, 11:05 PM
I just played Oregon Trail II again, and it's a really depressing game!

I ran into some girl who said:

"I hope we meet up with some more wagons with children. My friend Jenny Carlson got drowned back crossing the Platte, and I'm mad at Tommy Blaine because he called Susie here just a dumb old doll."

Speaking of Persona 4 (which I just got and I have to say is the most fun I've had with a game in a while), I got pretty choked up when Ryotaro crashed his car while chasing Namatame, then asked the protagonist to save Nanako because she's his "only reason for living along with lamenting that he was absolutely helpless to try and rescue her.

(Sidenote: P4's the first SMT game I've played, but after this I'd certainly be interested in the others.)

That whole month was just amazing :cry:

Wolf Kanno
04-16-2009, 05:15 AM
Cherenkov's story in Xenosaga Episode 1. He was truly one of the best written characters in that series and his climatic end in the Cathedral ship was truly epic.

Pretty much all of BoFV is pretty awesome. Especially learning through flashback why Nina can't talk as well as Bosch's childhood and the first time Ryu turned into a dragon in that game.

The ending to Xenosaga Pied Piper, when Ziggy chooses to kill himself rather than become Wilhelm's Testament. Its truly a shame we will probably never see this game outside of Japan.

strawberryman
04-17-2009, 07:05 PM

That whole month was just amazing :cry:

Yeah, at the time I'd posted it I wasn't through that month, but now that I've beaten it I will have to agree. Definitely hands-down one of my favorite games ever.

McLovin'
04-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Balamb Garden avoids the missiles. Awesome.

leader of mortals
04-21-2009, 08:12 PM
I actually don't think I have ever cried at any video game other than crisis core's ending...

Also, the triumph I felt when I saw the ending of FF9 was great. I actually threw my fist up in a "YES!!!" expression. Basically...
http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens1513858module8197113photo_TigerWoods_Fist_Pump.jpg1202767632
Good old tiger