PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to Death Note.

Cyric
01-14-2009, 05:00 AM
Holy crap, talk about love at first sight! I watched the first episode, and it hooked me IMMEDIATELY! It's like a drug, now that the videos I was watching on YouTube are getting terfed, I actually searched for another source...AND FOUND ONE I DID! :love:

I LOVE concepts like this! I guess you could say it's a bit like the idea behind The Butterfly Effect, only this one has consequences with the law. I swear though, with the amount of thought that had to have gone into this series, the people who created it MUST be nut-cases. *standing ovation for the nuts*

*** I'm only at Episode #10, so PLEASE DO NOT spoil any events for me still to come!!!

Momiji
01-14-2009, 05:02 AM
I'm usually against watching anime that get such good reviews, because I'm almost always let down... however, I should give it a shot sometime. I'm just way too backlogged with stuff I've already downloaded though. :p

kikimm
01-14-2009, 05:09 AM
About a year ago I pretty much randomly watched about 10 episodes all in the same night, and then never watched it again. I liked what I saw, but wasn't too terribly impressed. It does have that addicting sort of quality to it, though. :P

qwertysaur
01-14-2009, 05:15 AM
Death Note was pretty good with the crazy characters and all. Misa-Misa is so creepy! And wait until the plot gets really insane. Two geniuses in a battle of intellect and planning xD. The second OP is horrible though. >_< It's well written and the series was the right length. L cosplayers are lazy and I want to hit them with Sanzo's fan when I see them! :p

Cyric
01-14-2009, 05:19 AM
...oh...and I'm watching the Japanese version, with english subtitles...

Vermachtnis
01-14-2009, 05:32 AM
The anime was pretty awesome. I liked the first half way more than the second half. I didn't hate it like some other people. Then I decided to read the manga. Man did the second half drag on in the manga. But yea, I really liked it.

theundeadhero
01-14-2009, 06:01 AM
I've never seen more dramatic potato chip eating in all my life. I love the series.

blackmage_nuke
01-14-2009, 06:15 AM
I didnt know how anyone could flail a pen around wildly so much that it shoot sparks could still have such small handwriting.

I think most of the series was awesome, not the second half but it picked up more towards the end.

Jiro
01-14-2009, 06:41 AM
I really enjoyed the concept behind Death Note. I missed far too many episodes to be able to comment properly, but it's well worth watching imo.

Wolf Kanno
01-14-2009, 08:07 PM
This is one of those instances where I love the manga and dislike the anime. I think its because the manga allows you to set you own pace and its been so long since I read a suspense thriller.

The anime has great animation and a kick-ass soundtrack but the pacing made it feel more drawn out and I got bored. Still, its a great series. :)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Yeah, you ought to be reading the manga. The anime is choked with incessant artificial drama in the form of Latin chanting, dramatic camera angles, and symbolically glowing red eyes. The manga is much better balanced between the anticipation and follow-through of events.

Sephex
01-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Yeah, you ought to be reading the manga. The anime is choked with incessant artificial drama in the form of Latin chanting, dramatic camera angles, and symbolically glowing red eyes. The manga is much better balanced between the anticipation and follow-through of events.

Yeah, that's why I feel most people don't like the second half of the series. I liked it since I read the manga and only saw an episode of the anime here and there (inb4the people who say they still didn't like the second half when reading the manga). I also felt the anime just made things way too dramatic for my liking.

edczxcvbnm
01-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Light should have gone on a mad rampage and started to kill off world leaders by having them go smurf a hooker and then kill the hooker and then shoot themselves after dialing 911...that would have been awesome!

The second half of the series I thought was good up until Mellow left the scene. Near just wasn't as interesting and I didn't really like that it all came down to chance in the end. I really disliked the ending overall. I think most of the time I am too harsh on the second half of the series but I think it is just because I really dislike the ending and Near.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-14-2009, 08:24 PM
I fully support only reading the first six and a half volumes of the manga. Near can go to hell.

scrumpleberry
01-14-2009, 08:26 PM
I read about half of the manga and lost interest. I watched about 5 minutes of the anime and recoiled in disgust and hatred.

Manga GO

But then I am predisposed to like most manga better than the anime.

Shorty
01-14-2009, 09:04 PM
I've been meaning to watch this for a long time, I've heard its pretty good.

Cyric
01-15-2009, 02:09 AM
Death Note TV - Death Note Episode List (http://www.deathnote.tv/information/death-note-episode-list.html)

I've had to download Episode #14 so far cuz it got removed from it's host. 1-13 and 15 were all still there though.

Jessweeee♪
01-15-2009, 02:18 AM
I loved it. I haven't read the manga yet, but it's on my list.

I loved it even more when it started airing on [as]. All of the overly dramatic parts became instantly funny.

"I'll take a potato chip....and EAT IT."

I'm usually against watching anime that get such good reviews, because I'm almost always let down... however, I should give it a shot sometime. I'm just way too backlogged with stuff I've already downloaded though. :p

Is there anything you aren't disappointed by? Maybe I'm just reading the wrong threads xDDD

Tama2
01-15-2009, 02:40 AM
I went out and bought the movie. It's good but a lot of changes. Still good though.

Jessweeee♪
01-15-2009, 02:44 AM
When the English dub of the first movie came to our theaters it was only here during two days and they were both in the middle of the week so I couldn't go :(

My friend tells me that people were sitting on the floor the first day 'cause it was so packed, then the power went out so they had to go to the next one anyway and there was an insane amount of people there. I saw the sub on my laptop, but it's just not the same as going to a big theater and seeing it with your friends :P

rubah
01-15-2009, 03:50 AM
Although we did not create the Death Note series, we did create this website to be as original as possible. We ask that you respect the originality of our work, and not take anything without expressed written permission by the owners.

this line is always good for a laugh.
"just because I did this doesn't mean we are going to allow you to"

Momiji
01-15-2009, 04:20 AM

Is there anything you aren't disappointed by? Maybe I'm just reading the wrong threads xDDD

Oh, there are plenty of things that don't disappoint me. There's just never any threads in the lounge that revolve around topics and titles that I do like, and I can't be bothered to make them. :p

Wolf Kanno
01-15-2009, 04:46 AM
When the English dub of the first movie came to our theaters it was only here during two days and they were both in the middle of the week so I couldn't go :(

My friend tells me that people were sitting on the floor the first day 'cause it was so packed, then the power went out so they had to go to the next one anyway and there was an insane amount of people there. I saw the sub on my laptop, but it's just not the same as going to a big theater and seeing it with your friends :P

The Live action Death Note movie was super cheesy awesome... You watch it to laugh at it. Especially the over dramatic heart attacks in the beginning.

Jessweeee♪
01-15-2009, 04:50 AM

The Live action Death Note movie was super cheesy awesome... You watch it to laugh at it. Especially the over dramatic heart attacks in the beginning.

As I was watching it I was disappointed that Light didn't show off his potato eating skillz, but then there was that part where L was all "Look, I'm eating potato chips...dun dun duuuuun...."

Wolf Kanno
01-15-2009, 05:25 AM

As I was watching it I was disappointed that Light didn't show off his potato eating skillz, but then there was that part where L was all "Look, I'm eating potato chips...dun dun duuuuun...."

The heavy metal playing in the background combined with the camera shots made that scene B movie awesome. :cool:

black orb
01-15-2009, 03:45 PM
>>> I liked the anime and the live action movie. the live action movie was specially awesome..
I guess I should start reading the manga now.

LunarWeaver
01-15-2009, 08:31 PM
I read almost the entire manga, up to the point that is a drop-off for most people. I got bored with it. I always mean to finish it, but then my lazy punches me in the balls and I just go to sleep instead.

JKTrix
01-16-2009, 03:54 AM
There's just never any threads in the lounge that revolve around topics and titles that I do like, and I can't be bothered to make them. :p

Word. Took a little Guts and Hard Work to get some Gurren Lagann buzz here, though i think most of the people here who have seen it didn't watch it because of me. Still, there are few other shows that would make me go through the effort to make a meaningful post about them, particularly if they just get ignored.

Death Note was alright though. Quite entertaining for 2/3rds of its run.

Momiji
01-16-2009, 04:01 AM
There's just never any threads in the lounge that revolve around topics and titles that I do like, and I can't be bothered to make them. :p

Word. Took a little Guts and Hard Work to get some Gurren Lagann buzz here, though i think most of the people here who have seen it didn't watch it because of me. Still, there are few other shows that would make me go through the effort to make a meaningful post about them, particularly if they just get ignored.

Death Note was alright though. Quite entertaining for 2/3rds of its run.

You're 1/4th the reason I watched it. Tavrobel, Behold the Void, and Roto also told me to watch it. :p

Tavrobel
01-16-2009, 04:37 AM

Popular anime sucks because it is popular.

Gintama is better. It doesn't matter what show it is. Gintama is just plain better.

Still, there are few other shows that would make me go through the effort to make a meaningful post about them, particularly if they just get ignored.

EoFF always has the best taste in anime, don't you know?

Cyric
01-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Well, I just got through Episode #24. It was VERY predictable, but considering how well my prediction coincided what actually happened, it definitely made me love it even more.

Especially when Light tells Misa that he wants to be with her as he is, and after cleansing the world. Unfortunately, she's gonna die WAY too young. :(

Polaris
01-17-2009, 07:07 PM
I just watched until the 13th episode! Then it got harder and harder to have the episodes with English subs on VEOH :(

Cyric
01-18-2009, 02:20 AM
I just watched until the 13th episode! Then it got harder and harder to have the episodes with English subs on VEOH :(

Use the link I posted earlier: Death Note TV - Death Note Episode List (http://www.deathnote.tv/information/death-note-episode-list.html)

It has them all available to watch. You MAY need to download #14 though. The rest were all there, so far, as of last night.

JKTrix
01-18-2009, 02:43 AM
The Death Note anime has been licensed for 2 years now. It would naturally be a little harder to find.
If you really like it, I would recommend buying the DVDs. The 9th (last?) one doesn't come out until the end of February, but all the others are available to purchase. There's also 5-disc box set available that contains the first 20 episodes. That retails for $70, though I've seen it online for under $44. Amazon has it for $50. Considering each single disc retails for $25 (though again, cheaper places online), it's a pretty good deal getting 5 of 'em for $70. If you like the show that much.

Aside from the 'old fashioned' way of buying DVDs, there are several places where you can actually pay for a legal download of Death Note such as iTunes and Direct2Drive (http://www.direct2drive.com/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=death%20note).

That way, even if you can't really afford to buy the whole thing outright, you can buy any given episode for $2 and say you supported it at least a little.

And that was my rant. Support the stuff you like!

Mirage
01-18-2009, 03:54 AM
You shouldn't give in to addictions. Put the series down at once.

Cyric
01-18-2009, 06:39 AM
The Death Note anime has been licensed for 2 years now. It would naturally be a little harder to find.
If you really like it, I would recommend buying the DVDs. The 9th (last?) one doesn't come out until the end of February, but all the others are available to purchase. There's also 5-disc box set available that contains the first 20 episodes. That retails for $70, though I've seen it online for under $44. Amazon has it for $50. Considering each single disc retails for $25 (though again, cheaper places online), it's a pretty good deal getting 5 of 'em for $70. If you like the show that much.

Aside from the 'old fashioned' way of buying DVDs, there are several places where you can actually pay for a legal download of Death Note such as iTunes and Direct2Drive (http://www.direct2drive.com/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=death%20note).

That way, even if you can't really afford to buy the whole thing outright, you can buy any given episode for $2 and say you supported it at least a little.

And that was my rant. Support the stuff you like!

I have every intention of buying the DVDs. However, because I live in Canada, particularly in an area that only ever seems to carry stuff like Pokemon, stumbling upon them is difficult. I'm still looking for them. In the meantime, I'm watching them online. If I hadn't been able to watch it in the first place, I would never have considered buying it. Time for people to start rethinking the applications of "piracy". People are not as willing to blindly pay hard-earned money for something that they have no faith in being worth it. And every sub-par movie that Hollywood insists on pumping out in record time, and the inflated prices of everything else, will only make piracy worse.

If they TRULY want to fight piracy, stop giving people reasons to do it.

Cyric
01-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Well, I just finished watching the last episode. :cry: It was heart-wrenching, even though Light killing Takada was one of the most cruel betrayals that I have ever seen. I actually WANTED him to die after that, but I wished they let Misa see him one more time, or even have her jump off the building she's standing on at the end.

Now, I need to find another anime. *sigh*

...and I found something rather interesting on IMDb when I was trying to remember Takada's name. I'm aware that there are already two Death Note movies, but I'm thinking this one might be a-list material.

Death Note (2010) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1241317/)

Winter Nights
01-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Yeah, they've been talking about making a US Death Note movie for about a year or more now.

I actually liked the live-action movies better. The anime series was good, but far too drawn out. Plus, Near and Mellow were nowhere close to being as interesting as L, leaving the whole third arc feeling quite dull and pointless. The movies cut out the fat and gave L his moment to shine, which he so justly deserved.

Tavrobel
01-28-2009, 11:00 PM

Gintama
Eureka 7
Bounen no Xamdou
Darker Than Black
Code Geass (R1 is kind of like DESU NOOTO, but R2 isn't)
Rurouni Kenshin
Baccano!
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Vermachtnis
01-29-2009, 12:50 AM
That reminds me, I gotta watch Gintama too. Hmmm...strawberry milk.

NeoCracker
01-29-2009, 11:45 AM

Gintama
Eureka 7
Bounen no Xamdou
Darker Than Black
Code Geass (R1 is kind of like DESU NOOTO, but R2 isn't)
Rurouni Kenshin
Baccano!
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Other then that he's either right, or I haven't seen it so I can't comment on wheter or not his is right or wrong.

Also, go watch teh 74 epic episodes of Monster. One of the best anime there is. :p

Edit: And also, deathnote was good up until the end, mostly because the logic used by the end was stretched way to far. While the show did have some pretty gnarly stretches from time to time, they were mostly forgivable until that. :p

JKTrix
01-30-2009, 01:59 AM
Eureka 7

Other then that he's either right, or I haven't seen it so I can't comment on wheter or not his is right or wrong.

Oh no you di'int.
Monster is a good recommendation, so I can't hate on you because you still have good taste. I'm actually in the process of watching another anime from the creator of Monster, though this was actually the first thing he did and it's waaaaay different from anything else he did after that. It's called 'Yawara! A fashionable Judo Girl', a show from the 80's. I'm likin it quite a bit.

Normally I'd gush about other shows too (Cracker you should try Legend of the Galactic Heroes--fledgling anime fans should stay away from it though), but I haven't the motivation right now. I've seen all of Tav's list except for most of Kenshin, so they are good shows to watch, if not my favourites.