PDA

View Full Version : New character revealed - Sazh Kalzroy

Shoeberto
01-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Final Fantasy XIII: New Final Fantasy XIII Character Has A Fabulous Afro (http://kotaku.com/5131154/new-final-fantasy-xiii-character-has-a-fabulous-afro)
He looks pretty suave. Love the little baby Chocobo.

Jessweeee♪
01-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Oh my god he has an afro xDDD

This is a first for Final Fantasy!

...round and poofy hair!

Tavrobel
01-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Why am I getting a "Donovan McNabb meets Lando Calrissian" vibe?

qwertysaur
01-14-2009, 06:04 PM
I want a baby chocobo :p

I love all the interesting names the characters are getting, builds up on the expected world being created :D

trancekuja
01-14-2009, 06:24 PM
w-...wha-...what the hell...?

Vermachtnis
01-14-2009, 06:27 PM
He should ride that into battle! Or throw it. That Baby Chocobo is so awesome!

trancekuja
01-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Ah,well , I guess Shaft finally decided to come to FF...

scrumpleberry
01-14-2009, 06:38 PM
70's disco scene at some point is now a necessity. This guy looks pretty good. 'Fro could be more epic.

Rase
01-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Always wanted to play FF as a Black Panther.

Wolf Kanno
01-14-2009, 07:19 PM

I'm getting that vibe too. Its like he dropped out of a 70's sitcom :eep:

Still, he's probably the most interesting design so far. He doesn't have the "borrowed" feel of the other character designs so things are looking a bit better. Now let's just hope the villain doesn't sport hair that defies physics.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-14-2009, 08:48 PM
This is by far the best incentive I've seen to play this game yet.

Gilghamut
01-15-2009, 12:36 AM
From what I've read about him, that little chocobo supposedly lives in his afro, that could be wrong though.

Tavrobel
01-15-2009, 12:52 AM
Final Fantasy XIII: Our Black People Are Better Than Your Black People

+1, Mister Chocobo Nest Hair Man

skillzboy4
01-15-2009, 12:52 AM
This is probably gonna be the most different FF in the series.. just a touch of final fantasy X makes this game IMO potentially the best FF in the series. i seriously can't wait !!!!!!

Crossblades
01-15-2009, 03:21 AM
Very nice design. One problem though; he uses pistols. I feel this game has enough gun wielding characters with lightning and snow.

Laddy
01-15-2009, 03:22 AM
He looks charming and likable.

OMG A BLACK FF CHARACTER!

He does look likable, he reminds me of Balthier for some reason, only better looking. The men so far have me likey. *drools*

EDIT-I imagine him to be a happy-go-lucky guy with a pacifistic twist.

LunarWeaver
01-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Samuel L. Jackson should voice this man.

Bahamut2000X
01-15-2009, 07:19 PM
This is by far the best incentive I've seen to play this game yet.

Samuel L. Jackson should voice this man.

I'm starting to have a little respect for Nomura now, by the fact that excluding Lightning, this game has more characters that are actually well made and not copy+paste as per his usual style. However Versus makes that respect vanish when I realize that game is overflowing with girly men.

scrumpleberry
01-15-2009, 09:09 PM

So that would make him...you except black, right?

Yar
01-15-2009, 09:25 PM
He joins Barret and Raijin as tokens.

Crimson
01-15-2009, 10:07 PM
This is all wrong, a man who actually LOOKS like a man.....in Final Fantasy? :confused:

Laddy
01-15-2009, 11:30 PM

So that would make him...you except black, right?
Well he is, according to this article (http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/2009/01/14/v-jump-new-final-fantasy-xiii-character-revealed.html) I found.

Vermachtnis
01-15-2009, 11:36 PM
...is a gentle hearted person easily moved to tears...

If they can't get SLJ, they've gotta get the guy who did Pedro in Excel Saga.

Jiro
01-16-2009, 03:04 AM
I'm now thoroughly excited to see the final product.

Miriel
01-16-2009, 03:10 AM
Masculine?

Ahahaha. xD

I can't believe it, but my gaydar is going off for a video game character. That guy is totally hot for other guys. And I'm totally digging it. :p

qwertysaur
01-16-2009, 03:25 AM
Masculine?

Ahahaha. xD

I can't believe it, but my gaydar is going off for a video game character. That guy is totally hot for other guys. And I'm totally digging it. :p
:D

I really hope this Guy really is Gay. Final Fantasy needs a gay character, because it would definatly make the game interesting xD

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-16-2009, 03:29 AM
Masculine?

Ahahaha. xD

You can be gay and also masculine, Hannah.

Bahamut2000X
01-16-2009, 03:30 AM
They should make someone a lesbian instead. Gay is done to death in the media. We need a lesbian for a change. Though judging by Lightnings character design...

Oh and there are gay characters in Final Fantasy XI, their called male Dancers.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o301/ajrtitosan/FFxi/vegal-Dancer-Osakacopy.jpg

Though seriously they have a flamboyant guy in the latest storylines who is probably gay, or bi or something. >.>

Miriel
01-16-2009, 03:58 AM
You can be gay and also masculine, Hannah.

Did I ever say otherwise Mr. Loves to Twist Words? But THIS particular character is not masculine, and for anyone to describe him as that is hilarious. Being black and having a fro does not make you masculine!

Oh and there are gay characters in Final Fantasy XI, their called male Dancers.

Though seriously they have a flamboyant guy in the latest storylines who is probably gay, or bi or something. >.>

Oh my god, I know! They give them lisps and whatnot. It's kinda nuts.

Bahamut2000X
01-16-2009, 04:31 AM
Oh my god, I know! They give them lisps and whatnot. It's kinda nuts.

Your lucky. In the cut scenes when he hits on you it's just another same 'ole same 'ole. When he hits on my handsome elvaan ass it's just creepy. :cry:

The Man
01-16-2009, 05:48 AM
Can Square create a black character who isn't a huge walking racial stereotype? It looks doubtful.

Still not as bad as Jim from Tom Sawyer though.

qwertysaur
01-16-2009, 07:12 AM
xD I don't think that Nomura was going for a manly character with Sazh :p

The latest issue of V-Jump has been released and with it comes a scan of a brand new Final Fantasy XIII character. He isn't a character that was revealed at Jump Festa. In the scan we can see him fighting in a battle with Lightning which is the first time we've seen a battle with more than one character in the party. He's also supposed to be a starting party member meaning you'll be able to use him at the beginning of the game. BlankChocobo has translated more details from the scan:

"His name is サッズ・カッツロイ 'Sazh Katzroy', and he is a middle aged man. He dual wields pistols, has a baby chocobo, is a gentle hearted person easily moved to tears, possesses good judgment and a sense of social responsibility.

Source (http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/2009/01/14/v-jump-new-final-fantasy-xiii-character-revealed.html)

Wolf Kanno
01-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Why do I get the feeling this will be the most unintentionally funny FF in the series.

We got Cross-dressing Cloud, Mecha Shiva Bike and now a 70's blackploitation (sp?) stereotype...

Its like that Penny Arcade about Doom 3, I would love to make fun of the game but every time SE releases information or footage, I feel I can't make anything funnier than that...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-16-2009, 09:48 AM
We got Cross-dressing Cloud

Please do not conflate Girl Cloud with the raw beauty that is Cloud in a Dress.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/cloudinadress-a.gif

Wolf Kanno
01-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Is "She-male Cloud" better? I swear I thought I saw something under Dia's skirt in one of the trailers and it wasn't a gravity/time grenade...

Goldenboko
01-16-2009, 12:41 PM
"Dual wielding pistols."

Square enix refuses to let any black character use something other then a gun.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-16-2009, 12:43 PM

Kiros.

The Turk
01-16-2009, 01:59 PM
I don't get how Sazh looks like a 70's blaxploitation cliche at all. He has an afro? Oh yeah that explains it. Nobody has afros outside of the 70's, they were just a fad like flares or the BeeGees....

It's his natural hair! Hes not exactly dressed like ABBA or using a disco ball as a weapon!

Goldenboko
01-16-2009, 03:53 PM

Kiros.

Kiros doesn't count. Kiros was in FFVIII and therefore failed and I pretend that game never happened. Did you hear me? They decided they like the number nine better and just skipped eight! IT NEVER HAPPENED!

The Turk
01-16-2009, 05:15 PM
How about General Leo then?

Bahamut2000X
01-16-2009, 05:26 PM
How about General Leo then?

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g269/bahamut2000x/GeneralLeoFront.gif

If by Black, you mean, Whitest White guy who's 100% white in color and heritage. Then yes, Leo is in fact Black.

scrumpleberry
01-16-2009, 06:03 PM
His portrait was sort of blackish or he had camoflage stuff on his face.

Wolf Kanno
01-16-2009, 07:11 PM
I don't get how Sazh looks like a 70's blaxploitation cliche at all. He has an afro? Oh yeah that explains it. Nobody has afros outside of the 70's, they were just a fad like flares or the BeeGees....

It's his natural hair! Hes not exactly dressed like ABBA or using a disco ball as a weapon!

His outfit gives me a Shaft/pimp vibe. Granted its been converted into a Star Wars setting but I still get the vibe. I kid though, I actually like his design but I do find it unintentionally amusing.

As for Leo...

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/14205/393786-leo_large.jpg

http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/GeneralLeo/General%20Leo%20-%20Status.gif

He's closer to a skin head imo... Though I've always wondered... Its hard to tell from the pictures and portraits but I feel like he has a mustache but its hard to tell.

Also, everyone seems to be forgetting about Reddas from XII.

Bahamut2000X
01-16-2009, 09:33 PM

Reddas was black? I thought with his lighter complexion and accent he was more of an Arabic heritage then anything else.

Wolf Kanno
01-16-2009, 09:56 PM
I always felt he was black, Al-Cid is more Arabic in my book.

Bahamut2000X
01-16-2009, 11:39 PM
That's kind of funny, because Al-Cid I thought was just weird. Like Arabic, with an Italian accent.

Laddy
01-17-2009, 04:36 AM
There was some black blitzer in X.

ThundagAuron
01-17-2009, 05:55 AM
Wait, you mean he doesn't use a Mac-10?!?!

Sorry, that was in bad taste.

Del Murder
01-17-2009, 05:58 AM
Haha he does look like McNabb.

Sword
01-18-2009, 02:29 PM
That's kind of funny, because Al-Cid I thought was just weird. Like Arabic, with an Italian accent.
Na man Al-Cid clearly had a russian accent. And I always thought of Reddas as white....with dark sort of european complexion.

I like Sazh. Though they could've given him a more interesting weapon.

The Turk
01-18-2009, 09:29 PM
If by Black, you mean, Whitest White guy who's 100% white in color and heritage. Then yes, Leo is in fact Black.
I always felt his sprite looked white but then I read he was black and after seeing his portrait I just stuck with it as he does look dark skinned but it's rather hard to confirm it. He's certainly not the "Whitest White guy" lol- that would be the horrible characters in Advent Children. They make albino Setzer looked tanned. Did Square spend all their money on the SFX that they couldn't afford colours and had to make do with shades of white and grey?

Somebody mentioned that Sazh looks about like Lando from Star Wars. That's fine with me! He was awesome and didn't fall into the jive talking stereotype that Barret did. Do any of the announced characters so far use a sword or anything though? It all seems to be guns.

Bahamut2000X
01-19-2009, 02:32 AM
but then I read he was black

Wait they said somewhere he was black? I don't recall it in the game, was it elsewhere?

Do any of the announced characters so far use a sword or anything though? It all seems to be guns.

Well I haven't paid much attention to the game thus far, but Lightning I think uses a gun sword or at least I recall her having a sword in the first trailer way back.

And I somehow don't see Vanille using a gun, but that's just me. But what little I've seen she hasn't been shown with any weapons thus far.

Spatvark
01-19-2009, 08:19 AM
And I somehow don't see Vanille using a gun, but that's just me. But what little I've seen she hasn't been shown with any weapons thus far.

She has a bow-type thingy.

Bahamut2000X
01-19-2009, 07:17 PM

Wow why am I not surprised they gave a girly girl female character a bow? Seems this game focuses on ranged combat and not melee then.

Vivisteiner
01-19-2009, 08:05 PM
This guy is pretty darn cool with the chocobo in his afro etc.

I think there will be another 'macho' type male character who will be close range, to compensate for the party so far.

Laddy
01-25-2009, 06:27 AM
I'm still thinking each character has a ranged and melee weapon. Like Lightning has her weird Gunblade-ish thing, and stuff.

Moon Rabbits
01-25-2009, 06:56 AM
I'm digging the crazy names they keep thinking up.

Mirage
01-25-2009, 01:52 PM

Wow why am I not surprised they gave a girly girl female character a bow? Seems this game focuses on ranged combat and not melee then.

Realistically, a ranged weapon is always to prefer.

Spatvark
01-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Traditionally, looking back at history, while melee troops may well only have melee weapons, ranged attackers would typically have melee weapons as well, due to reloading times, e.g. rifle brigades during the Napoleonic Wars, longbowmen during the Hundred Years' War, etc.

VeloZer0
01-26-2009, 03:58 PM
When you can take a bullet to the head/ parry one with your sword it kind of throws every real world combat theory out the window. So they can safely make combat revolve around whatever axiom they think is the coolest.

Goldenboko
01-26-2009, 07:18 PM
When you can take a bullet to the head/ parry one with your sword it kind of throws every real world combat theory out the window. So they can safely make combat revolve around whatever axiom they think is the coolest.
Even still, the fact I can hit you once before you reach me gives me an advantage. And with XII's introduction of "immobilize" range really is preferable in most cases.

Aydin
01-28-2009, 05:25 AM
I love him! They do say FF needs to be a bit more integrated!

Mercen-X
02-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Oh my god he has an afro xDDD
This is a first for Final Fantasy!
...round and poofy hair!
Not really, there was an afro in VII... though that might have just been a hologram. Still, it was there.

Very nice design. One problem though; he uses pistols. I feel this game has enough gun wielding characters with lightning and snow.I haven't seen any other Fantasy with a pistoleer involved and I had originally created one for my VII fanfic in the form of Raine Rivers (who is supposed to look surprisingly like Lucrecia), that's how much I liked the idea of having that type in Final Fantasy.

Samuel L. Jackson should voice this man.Give me a break. I love Sammy, but he's not the only black actor in Hollywood. I think if he looks more like Lando, he should be voiced by Billy Dee. Damn.

This is all wrong, a man who actually LOOKS like a man... in Final Fantasy?You mean instead of girlie or like some kind of hulking mass of muscle? Heh.
Don't forget where Final Fantasy comes from. Manly men would pretty much be considered a betrayal to the public consumer.

Leo... Its hard to tell from the pictures and portraits but I feel like he has a mustache but its hard to tell.

I agree it's confusing. If he's a dark-skinned Caucasian it could be a blonde moustache. If he's black, it could just be his lips.

I haven't played XII in a while. Who is Reddas? Got any pics?

I'm still thinking each character has a ranged and melee weapon. Like Lightning has her weird Gunblade-ish thing, and stuff.I agree. I also think the idea is awesome. I hate having to choose a character based on whether their weapon is ranged or melee. I love the Long-Range materia in VII.

Someone mentioned gay. That's not socially acceptable in America. Instead, the character could be flamboyant and effeminate and have closer bonds with other men, but nothing too direct.

Wolf Kanno
02-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Here are pictures of Reddas and Al-Cid for those who are wondering. 2981229813

Big D
02-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Reddas is almost certainly black, while Al-Cid has more a of a Mediterranean feel. Both are awesomely voiced, though - it's rather difficult to tell that Reddas shares his actor with Vamp from MGS and Hermes from Futurama, while Al-Cid is voiced by the man behind FFX's Brother.

As for this new dude in FFXIII - neat design, though I really wish they'd cut back on the manorexia. Pencil-thin figures are bad enough on female characters, without making the men painfully malnourished as well.

sir helix
03-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Someone mentioned gay. That's not socially acceptable in America. Instead, the character could be flamboyant and effeminate and have closer bonds with other men, but nothing too direct.

there needs tobe a gay man or woman in final fantasy, maby then it would be accepted world wide, if there was a gay woman, ppl would just turn the other way, but if its a gay man, they start throwing a temper tantrum, its very biased and wrong to not accept gays as part of society.

Rase
03-01-2009, 07:54 PM
there needs tobe a gay man or woman in final fantasy, maby then it would be accepted world wide, if there was a gay woman, ppl would just turn the other way, but if its a gay man, they start throwing a temper tantrum, its very biased and wrong to not accept gays as part of society.
While I agree with what you're getting at, I doubt that the only thing gays need in order to be accepted by everyone is a character with their sexual preference in a Final Fantasy game.

Rocket Edge
03-07-2009, 04:12 PM
While I agree with what you're getting at, I doubt that the only thing gays need in order to be accepted by everyone is a character with their sexual preference in a Final Fantasy game.
werd

Cool design. Kiros was a playable charcter right? And he wasn't stereotypical at all. Barret might as well have been Mr. T.

sir helix
03-08-2009, 10:17 PM
itd be a start, videogames have a huge impact on peoples lifes, i dont realy understand it, standing as gay rights activist, words just ain't cutting it.