PDA

View Full Version : High School Rules

Depression Moon
01-14-2009, 09:23 PM
I started college a couple of weeks ago and I'm starting to see the difference between college and high school. One thing I definitely notice is that everything is a little more laid back there. I remember when people used to preach to me that the rules that the principal made in high school is necessary and it will benefit us. From what I see in college basically the rules are show up for class and don't cheat.

In high school they had ridiculous things like a dress code, no hats, and no food or drinks. You also got penalized for coming in late and they would hassle you became absent and failed to bring in a note. They penalized you for that stuff, but in college they don't really care if you come in late, or if you're absent. You just have to make up the stuff you miss on your own. Nor do they care about you wearing a hat, dress like a hooker, or listening to headphones while they're teaching. What I'm also a bit surprised is is that no one rarely talks are participates in anything either in college. Everybody's just quiet. Well I guess I prefer that than the immature students and fights breaking out every week. So far I haven't got any assignments yet. What do you guys think about your experience from high school to college?

Moon Rabbits
01-14-2009, 09:26 PM
I am not in college, but highschool sucks.

Momiji
01-14-2009, 09:33 PM
High school sucked. College is infinitely better.

Bunny
01-14-2009, 10:07 PM
They penalized you for that stuff, but in college they don't really care if you come in late, or if you're absent.

Some classes have "mandatory" attendance that counts as a certain point total towards your final grade. Not all classes, like in high school, but the reasons for that are numerous and understandable. I'm not entirely too sure on the details, but I believe high schools get paid a certain sum every year based on the number of students that actively attend classes. That's how it was in my school district in California and Nevada, anyway.

I wouldn't say high school sucked outright. It wasn't that great or fun, but it wasn't too bad.

rubah
01-14-2009, 10:27 PM
I like college because [generally] having unmotivated people in class with me doesn't slow down the pace of lecture.

Shiny
01-14-2009, 10:31 PM
My college cares if you're absent. If you miss too many classes you'll be failed. No if, ands, or buts. But I like it that way, because it separates the people who are serious and those who are not.

Rye
01-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Yeah, nearly every class I have is very into mandatory attendance in college.

I didn't hate High School as much as I hate people in my town. I know it sounds cliche, but they're really something bizarre about people born and raised in small towns where their fathers' fathers have been born. At least, in this area.

Mostly what I like about college is that you're rewarded on your grades and work, and aren't differentiated by how much you suck, for the most part.

Tavrobel
01-14-2009, 10:36 PM
My High School experience wasn't terrible. While we had the slew of idiots who held everything up, it was much more amusing, watching from Freshman year as our antics went from what you might normally expect from a High School student to Senior year, when it just plain got bizarre (and a little homo thrown in, too).

College is much better, but I find myself walking home perturbed more often than I would like. Professors don't wait for students that cause trouble, and it is so awesome, not that many students in my classes really cause trouble. Then again, dealing with early-teenage students requires a much different approach compared to those around the age of 20.

But the line between good teachers and bad teachers is so much clearer now, because it affects your grade more than your effort.

Yar
01-14-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm not in college yet (and now I'm looking at it as a way to get the hell out of here), but I liked high-school. Unlike most people's teachers from what I hear, my teachers were actually fairly level-headed and competent. Well, except for the one Superchristian teacher I had who always used homophobic remarks. Oh, THAT was fun.

Depression Moon
01-14-2009, 10:49 PM
oh I wasn't saying that attendance wasn't mandatory I was just saying that they won't be breathing down your neck for missing two days, unless you go to a college that has a short semester that's basically like a month and a half. I'm glad I got out of that hell hole. My senior year wasn't that bad, but every year before it challenged my sanity.

Jessweeee♪
01-14-2009, 11:42 PM
I like high school, I'll be sad to leave when I graduate this spring :p

Rye
01-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Hahah, Yars, I had a Health teacher like that. He was one of the least progressive people I know. Homophobic, charged of attacking his wife, mean, condescending...

I hated him. He was extremely rude to his students. Since he was the captain of the football team, he'd automatically pass anyone on his team. During practices he'd call his players faggots and stuff.

He's even mean to the special ed children, makes fun of them too, subtly. I'm very glad my brother got the other Health teacher, because he has really severe Asperger's and speech problems, and I feel like the teacher would have ripped him to shreds.

Frightens me to know the type of people who are hired.

rubah
01-14-2009, 11:46 PM
I like high school, I'll be sad to leave when I graduate this spring :p

...What?!

Jessweeee♪
01-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Hahaha, my health teacher was awesome. Half the time we just watched football movies (we watched Rudy and Radio like six times) or videos of the school's football team playing, and the other half we "worked." During the work part I just slept then turned in a paper with numbers but no answers on it. I got a 100 in that class.

Lawr
01-15-2009, 02:31 AM
Freshmen year was awesome, especially since I had a few classes with upperclassmen and a few with my peers. The pranks you pull defines your Freshman year, like when my friend got chained to a chair in Art Class and a few people had to saw him out before the substitute teacher saw. Or drawing large throbbing dongs all over my friend's planner while he was giving a speech and even squirting tank loads of hand lotion into someone's shoes during Gym class and throwing them in the trash can. My Freshman year was brilliant. Brilliant.

Now I have somewhat OK Sophomore year. :P

Jiro
01-15-2009, 09:38 AM
I like high school, I'll be sad to leave when I graduate this spring at the end of this year :p

High School is decent for me, but I've already had a taste of University and I'm eager to get back there. So much better than school :D

blackmage_nuke
01-15-2009, 11:01 AM
My high school was good until we changed principals, then it just wasn't about our education anymore, they just wanted to make our school look good. All they cared about was the school's reputation. It sickened me.

Jiro
01-15-2009, 11:16 AM
My high school was good until we changed principals, then it just wasn't about our education anymore, they just wanted to make our school look good. All they cared about was the school's reputation. It sickened me.

School reputation being shoved down our throat is annoying, but we're used to it. In fact, our principal covers the same topics every time he speaks. So there's bets going around between the seniors and some teachers about how many times he uses certain words.

ShunNakamura
01-15-2009, 03:01 PM
I really enjoyed my high school years.

Most of the teachers I had weren't bad at all. In contrast college was boring as hell. Seriously the 'required' classes such as Comp 2 and the ilk... Well I had already learned all that as early as 9th and 10th grade. I was completely out of the league of what the professor was used to. Apparently most schools(even the private ones) in this area are crap. So many people at that college that were fresh from high school couldn't even do basic math or comp. I knew so many in the college that had to take a remedial math course!

Thankfully out of the required courses was much better. My poetry classes and some of my computer classes were a lot of fun. Since these courses were not needed the teachers taught in a very free-form fashion(the college forces the 'required' classes to be taught in a very specific way when I was going there. The Professors that I spoke with were livid about that!).

Probably my favorite professor was my Networking instructor. He taught both Microsoft(required) and Linux(not required). The Microsoft class was more or less a drag. He had to hit on very specific points and being required for a couple of majors we had some people who really should never have been in the class. And he had to slow down and try to bring them up or else he could risk getting into trouble. Meanwhile the Linux class. He warned anyone who took it(you needed one microsoft first) that it was hard as hell so don't take it unless you want a challenge. The class had a very freeform structure. If we were interested in furthering something he had just touched on. He would research and in the next class we would be taking an indepth course on say using Linux as a secure password authentication server. And this was in the Linux introduction class. Not the Linux security class. Good classmates + good professor = fun class!

Really this depends on the schools you go to. A bad college is a bad experience. A bad high school is a bad experience. The difference is since colleges are more likely to fall under if they get too bad, you are usually less likely to run into a horrible college.

Zeldy
01-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Leaving high school was horrible! I cryed and cryed and held onto my friends as I didn't want to leave! I adored my high school because of the school itself, the teachers and (most of) the pupils there were pretty decent. I hated the work but the school it self was pretty alright.

My college is very school-like, we do get in trouble for missing class and can be put onto a diciplinary report where teachers check up on you. The only difference really is that we don't have to wear uniform, get free periods and didn't have to continue with the compulsory subjects but could choose our own.

Værn
01-15-2009, 05:37 PM
I really enjoyed my high school years.

Apparently most schools(even the private ones) in this area are crap.
I think our English and math teachers are why our school is better and more fun than anywhere else :rolleyes2
I completed the full year's computer portion for algebra class in less than a semester after transferring to FCCC, and finished the entire geometry program before the end of the second semester. I'm apparently the only one that's ever pulled that off. I blame Mrs. Wyse for that :D

Caraliz
01-15-2009, 06:27 PM
I hated High School. It was torture. I couldn't do the early mornings, and I definitely couldn't handle the idiots that inhabited my classes.

College was amazing. It's not like the people got much smarter, but they definitely matured and were easier/nicer to talk to. And I could schedule my classes for two or three days in the week and make them mostly afternoon classes. I was happy. :o Being in the honors program was nice too, since not everyone was accepted it definitely weeded out the people that were just looking for an easy A and didn't really give a :skull::skull::skull::skull: about learning anything.

Shoeberto
01-15-2009, 07:21 PM
I miss my close friends from high school and about three teachers, two of which are retired. Though one is a close friend of the family so I get to see him anyways. Oh, and quizbowl, though that was mostly about close friends.

I don't miss the majority of the people, the political :skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull:, or the self-righteous dumbass teachers. Those really outweigh the things I do miss. My high school was a piece of :skull::skull::skull::skull: and makes me really wonder if I would want my kids in a public school.

Depression Moon
01-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Another thing that i like better than high school is that I don't have to be in the same place for about seven hours. The Classes that I have are 50 min. long except for one that's an hour and fifteen and on MWF I get out at 10:50 the other two days I stay until 12:45. This is a lot better and you are free to go up and leave anytime you like. Some teachers in high school made you ask them for permission to go to the bathroom, none do here, and there's no chance of me getting in trouble by leaving the campus to go get a bite to eat.

Those rules back in HS were ridiculous, couldn't do nothin!

Sephex
01-15-2009, 09:57 PM
High School sucked. Even if you're one of those people that go straight to a job after High School, it's still a much better experience.

Advent Child
01-16-2009, 11:43 PM
I had a lot of fun in High School, it was basically an all-day excuse to hang out with your friends. All the classes were easy enough that I didn't need to take any notes or do any non-required homework, so basically I just chilled.

Now I'm at University, and I don't know everyone anymore, which I don't like so much. I still don't do much work except what's handed in, but stuff is definitely a little bit harder. Sometimes I get bored living university life.