PDA

View Full Version : I Just Had a MegaTen Moment...

Wolf Kanno
01-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Not surprisingly, I was playing Persona 3: FES when it happened. For those who don't understand what a "MegaTen" moment is, a MegaTen moment is when the game decides to give you the middle finger and basically end your sorry life. It gets the title "MegaTen" from the fact that it is a very common occurrence in this particular series of games.

So I'm walking through Tartarus leveling my party, getting money, and leveling my Persona. I'm almost to the top where I was going to stop and return to base and save but I just needed to find the stairs. My main character has full Hp but no more Sp cause he's been doing most of the work. The rest of my party has an abundance of Sp and Hp cause my main character has been doing all the work. I ended up being forced into an encounter but luckily the enemies I faced had weakness' that my party could exploit.

I through my party into the Knockdown strategy (it makes the A.I. exploit enemy weaknesses) and Yukari is put on healing duty just to be safe. One enemy is killed pretty fast and the other gets knocked down to no health and will be killed by my next character but unfortunately its Mitsuru and Junpei is the one who has the element the enemy is weak to. Mitsuru chooses not to kill the nearly dead opponent and then the opponent gets to go. He performs an attack called Swift Strike that strikes my whole party multiple times with light striking damage. Not a big deal later in the game, but nasty where I am. He hits my main character twice and both are critical hits, which is very rare. Instantly killing my main character who had full health and sending me to the game over screen. This is because most MegaTen games have the rule, if the main character dies its automatic game over. I lost a good hour where I gained 50,000 yen and most of my party gained 2 levels. :cry:

So when was the last time the worst case scenario happened to you...

Jiro
01-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Happened to me a few times in Persona 3:FES. Walking around with full health, and then the enemy decides to hit me with elements I'm weak against and kills me. Quite depressing

LunarWeaver
01-15-2009, 08:28 PM
I had a party death in Persona 3 from one of the instant kill skills later in the game. Shoulda wore that light immune Persona-!

Digital Devil Saga sometimes killed me before I could even go one turn. That's not difficulty, that's just stupid and broken btw.

JKTrix
01-16-2009, 03:23 AM
In persona 4, one of your teammates will take a fatal blow for you (a blow that would otherwise kill you, though maybe not them) depending on your social link level with that individual. Usually it's just lvl 1 when they get that ability. Definitely makes those 'MegaTen moments' more bearable, and gives you a chance to learn what an enemy can do without it actually sending you to the game over screen...

Momiji
01-16-2009, 03:25 AM
These 'MegaTen moments' are the reason I keep giving up on Persona 3 FES. :p

Karellen
01-16-2009, 03:29 AM
In persona 4, one of your teammates will take a fatal blow for you (a blow that would otherwise kill you, though maybe not them) depending on your social link level with that individual. Usually it's just lvl 1 when they get that ability. Definitely makes those 'MegaTen moments' more bearable, and gives you a chance to learn what an enemy can do without it actually sending you to the game over screen...
:declineofMegaTen:

Vermachtnis
01-16-2009, 03:35 AM
Something like that just happened to me in Persona 4. I was fighting Mitsuo and got everybody with Fear. That "Oh crap" feeling came over me. If the main character could go I could switch to a Persona with Amrita. If anyone else could go they would through an Amrita Tea. Guess what happened: Protagonist, Yosuke, Yukiko, and Teddie were all paralized with fear. Followed by a Ghastly Wail on it's next turn. Game over.

Of course my "favorite" story of A Megaten Moment is during Nocturne. I was grinding away in that hallway next to everything in the final dungeon so there was no reason for me to go longer than a couple fights without fully healing and saving. But I got cocky and really wanted to learn that one skill. I smacked them with Deadly Fury and they countered. I died.

Mirage
01-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Megaten moments are why I can't stand these games on "Normal". Every battle, you've got a set chance of not being able to win no matter what you do. Unless you're horribly overleveled, but then all other battles you fight, including bosses, will be too boring for at least me to play.

qwertysaur
01-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Persona 3 FES, the fact that random enemies have Mudo and Hama skills, even on the second block!

Nocturne. That game is a MegaTen Moment. One very long MegaTen Moment that loves to make you see those little angels.

Wolf Kanno
01-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Megaten moments are why I can't stand these games on "Normal". Every battle, you've got a set chance of not being able to win no matter what you do. Unless you're horribly overleveled, but then all other battles you fight, including bosses, will be too boring for at least me to play.

Having to actually take everything as a threat is what makes the MegaTen games so fun. Their challenge makes them so much more rewarding. ;)

Besides, its not all up to chance, just careful planning. A true MegaTen moment is when you plan for everything and still somehow lose.

NeoCracker
01-17-2009, 08:48 AM
In PErsona 4, you have the shadows that look like lions. Through the whole game, these types seem resistant to only fire and physical, so naturally I assumed it would be the same on the last few floors. Since it was accomponied by 2 world balances, who are weak to mudo skills, I switch to Grimelhalka and us MaMudoon, hoping to kill off the lion along with the others, but even if not its basically toast.

For those who know Grimelhalka from 3, he has a weakness to light and dark, but gets high magic and powerful Mudo skills. And guess what the lion can reflect now?

Do I really need to say it?

Momiji
01-19-2009, 01:18 AM
I just experienced a MegaTen moment in Persona 3.

I was facing the Intrepid Knight on floor 59, when the bastard cast Garudyne on me, dealt 329 damage (my max HP is only 200something, at level 17). Game over.

What's that thing's weakness, anyway? Agi, Garu, Bufu, and Zio spells weren't too useful...

JKTrix
01-19-2009, 01:57 AM
Played P4 for the first time since christmas today. On Kanji's level, directly after the mini-boss. I can beat the Daring Gigas easy enough, he didn't even touch me the last 4 times I fought him. The problem is the enemies after him. They all have Ma- attacks that hit everyone, and at least one person on my team is weak to that attack. So, they get a second hit... and then the next enemy comes along and does the same thing for 2 hits.

This happened 4 times before I decided to give the game a break today. I know how I can get around it but my brain just ain't in the right place today.

Mirage
01-19-2009, 08:45 PM

Having to actually take everything as a threat is what makes the MegaTen games so fun. Their challenge makes them so much more rewarding. ;)

Besides, its not all up to chance, just careful planning. A true MegaTen moment is when you plan for everything and still somehow lose.

We've been through this before. Early in the game you don't have a lot of options when it comes to planning. Stop treating me as an inferior player.

qwertysaur
01-19-2009, 09:14 PM

I was facing the Intrepid Knight on floor 59, when the bastard cast Garudyne on me, dealt 329 damage (my max HP is only 200something, at level 17). Game over.

What's that thing's weakness, anyway? Agi, Garu, Bufu, and Zio spells weren't too useful...
If I remember correctly, he has none :( Just make sure you do not bring Junpei to fight him, and bring a persone or two that is resistant to wind attacks. I set Yukari on heal, and hope you ge lucky. that boss is nasty any way you look at it. Hope he wastes his turn using his Garu skills on Yukari, since she is resistant to them. You may have to do some level grinding if you have too much trouble with him. =/

Momiji
01-19-2009, 09:32 PM

If I remember correctly, he has none :( Just make sure you do not bring Junpei to fight him, and bring a persone or two that is resistant to wind attacks. I set Yukari on heal, and hope you ge lucky. that boss is nasty any way you look at it. Hope he wastes his turn using his Garu skills on Yukari, since she is resistant to them. You may have to do some level grinding if you have too much trouble with him. =/

Yeah, I developed a strategy last night, and I was lucky down to the very end, when I took a turn to revive Mitsuru with Recarm (I had to switch my wind-resistant Alp to Principality), and he nailed me with Garudyne. I almost won, too. >_>

Vermachtnis
01-19-2009, 09:36 PM
We've been through this before. Early in the game you don't have a lot of options when it comes to planning. Stop treating me as an inferior player.

I'm with Mirage on this. Early game is the hardest part of Megaten. Once you get past that one boss and can start fiddling around with set ups, it gets easier. Up until late game bosses start ignoring your set up and do whatever the hell they want. But somehow the final boss is almost always disappointing in the difficulty factor. Excluding Lucifer, but he was an optional perfect run final boss, so of course he's gonna be hard. Damn I love Freikugel. But anyway: early game is hard, mid to late game is simpler, late game bosses are cheating bastards, and the final boss fight is long but ain't all that difficult and is usually accompanied by an awesome BGM. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A8yf0UVJDk)

Mirage
01-19-2009, 10:34 PM
And the ability to charm you to cast a spell that regenerates 100% of its HP, wasting an hour of bashing on it.

Wolf Kanno
01-20-2009, 02:50 AM

I didn't mean to come off as arrogant, sorry about that :sweatdrop: I just was pointing out that there was always a way to come out on top, it just means to be prepared for anything or sometimes (like in the case of my MegaTen moment) you just need to know when to quit, play it safe, and retreat. I didn't, and that's how I lost an hour of my time, but I'm more careful now.

Kefka_Almighty
01-21-2009, 05:23 AM
Persona 3 FES, the fact that random enemies have Mudo and Hama skills, even on the second block!

To be fair, it's rare whenever Mudo or Hama skills will hit, unless you or the enemy has the Boost ability for those skills. On normal that is, at least. I haven't tried hard.

I've had a few MegaTen moments, mainly due to not expecting critical hits or having a persona equipped that was weak to an enemy's attack. I just got passed the boss for early October (Fortune and Strength Arcana), and it was the first time I had died to a full moon boss, since I kept getting panic put on me before I got the chance to get rid of it, so each time Strength attacked, it ended up critting.

It's been awhile since I've played Nocturne, and I haven't beaten it, though I intend to go back and do so. I tried playing the first Shin Megami Tensei for the SNES, though ended up quitting in disgust when I found out there was a programming glitch in the translation patch that will stop you from completing the game.

Flying Arrow
01-04-2010, 06:04 PM
DDS1 has done it to me a couple of times, especially in the final dungeon. Let's see how the soon-to-be-started DDS2 treats me.

Wolf Kanno
01-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Though I really loved this thread, its over a year old so we can't necro it I'm afraid but it might be time to make a new one... :shifty: