PDA

View Full Version : Ugliest Word

Rye
01-16-2009, 07:15 PM
What is the ugliest word in the English language? And I mean dictionary words, not words like queef. Queef is disqualified from this contest.

I hate the words beef and loaf. They sound ugly, and they fit, as do other words, like bile, and sputum. Kahki is a heavy contender as well.

But the ugliest word in the human language, my dear friends, is "psyche".

This is wrong, because the definition is lovely and inspiring. In my British Literature class, there was a boy in my class who just had a FETISH for the word. He'd say it at least 5 times a lecture, and it made me so mad. He could have said the human mind, the essense of humanity, whatever. But he had to say THE HUMAN PSYCHE. It would be okay if it was pronounce "psych", as in "SIKE! SUPER SIKE!!!" But it's pronounced "psych-y."

Don't say psyche. Just say the spirit of humanity, a human mind, or something of that sort. Please? When you hear the word psyche, think of your pal Rye, and don't say it.

Madame Adequate
01-16-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm interested in probing into your psyche and discovering the reason behind your dislike of the word "psyche". :bigsmile:

Aerith's Knight
01-16-2009, 07:37 PM
I hate you. :bigsmile:

Denmark
01-16-2009, 07:40 PM
The ugliest word is, obviously, "ugliest".

Tavrobel
01-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Fugly.

Psyche is pronounced as two syllables, you know that, right? You have a problem with the proper use of a word? Is there something hidden deep in your psyche that prevents you from liking the word? Someone should make a voice recording of themselves saying the word over and over and over. I would enjoy the sight.

qwertysaur
01-16-2009, 07:42 PM
I like Bile. It helps my body Break down Lipids :p

I can't think of many words that I dislike, but I don't like c---. It is mostly because my parents drilled that word was eternally forbidden since I could speak, but it also sounds like simply an angry word that wants to beat other words with a k or something :p I won't even type it out :p

Madame Adequate
01-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Psyche is pronounced as two syllables, you know that, right?

Literacy helps, you know that, right?

It would be okay if it was pronounce "psych", as in "SIKE! SUPER SIKE!!!" But it's pronounced "psych-y."

Rye
01-16-2009, 07:43 PM
My problem with the word psyche is that it sounds like some really icky word that a parent uses to try to potty train their toddler, and not like the behavior and personality and thoughts of a human.

"Charles, do you need to do a psyche? Wow! Look, Alfred, baby Charlie did a psyche in his potty! Psyche psyche! Big boys do psyche in the potty!"

And the word is one of those things you get stuck in your head, like the name "John Stamos", except it's not wonderful sounding, like John Stamos~~~ <3

EDIT: Oh, I know it's pronounced two syllables. I just feel like it sounds much improved when it's said as one syllable. That being said, I don't pronounce it wrong - I just don't use the word psyche in my speech, period. It's between pronouncing it wrong, saying the ugly word correctly, or just omitting it from my vocabulary. xDDD

Tavrobel
01-16-2009, 07:46 PM

And you know that if someone still isn't doing it, they're still wrong, right?

Bunny
01-16-2009, 07:48 PM

Nope. Left. Har har har.

I don't care for words in general but it's difficult to present an argument on the Internet using only a series of elongated noises.

Madame Adequate
01-16-2009, 07:48 PM

I'm interested in the part where you think she's saying it wrong, tbh. Kinda the point of my last post to demonstrate this error you've made.

Tavrobel
01-16-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm interested in the part where you think she's saying it wrong, tbh.

When she asked us to not ever use it and when she professed a preference of using it with one syllable.

In response to the post you deleted, that doesn't change the fact that she thought it was pronounced in a way that was incorrect. If you dislike me making fun of her for it even when she says that she's learned her lesson, I believe that you need to get with the times and realize that I mock everyone.

yhbt

rubah
01-16-2009, 08:21 PM
I like the word psyche. It's nice and greek.

I don't like "tummy".

scrumpleberry
01-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Psych-eee is more fitting with the ancient Greek way of saying it, which I like better. I think psych without the e is worse :o

Ugliest word? Lush. Luuuuush. Loooooaaaaaaaaash. Or mint. I know people who like to say either "mint as" or "mint-ass". It kind of sounds like "munters" when they do it :/

Rye
01-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Tummy is an icky word too, yes! Belly too. Even stomach is a little icky to me. I like the word shoulder, though! xDD

I am confused! I never thought it was pronounce one syllable, Tavvy. =O When did I say that? I think you've misunderstood. I've known the word was two syllables since I heard the word long long ago as a kid. I've always dislike it, and thought of ways of improving it.

I've worked and worked and worked, like economists work to think of ways to improve third world countries. Toil toil until I'm red in the face!

But alas, as I said, of the three options, I choose to not say it all~ :redface:

Tavrobel
01-16-2009, 08:32 PM
I am confused! I never thought it was pronounce one syllable, Tavvy. =O When did I say that? I think you've misunderstood. I've known the word was two syllables since I heard the word long long ago as a kid. I've always dislike it, and thought of ways of improving it.

NO I REFUSE TO ADMIT THE TRUTH OF THE SITUATION YOU ARE WRONG FOR HAVING MISUNDERSTOOD YOURSELF SEE CAPSLOCKS MAKES IT TRUE SEE YOU EVEN SAID YOU ARE CONFUSED YOU ACTIVATED MY FUTURE ESTHAR TRAP CARD

*gurgles and evaporates*

Bunny
01-16-2009, 08:36 PM
There lies Tavrobel, much less of a man than he once was. We shall all greatly mourn his passing into the realm of insanity.

Fonzie
01-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Vestibule is a world I hate.

Montoya
01-16-2009, 08:50 PM
I, uhh, don't like the word fondue. Specially how you say it. It sounds like you're supposed to put it in your hair.

Gwawr
01-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Icky. To me it sounds like a fully-grown person acting like a five year old and if there's one thing I cannot stand, it's immaturity.

Also, for reasons to do with it always being associated with people "gng to Ibiza wiv da gurlz!", I cannot stand "Woop woop!". It genuinely makes me angry.

Madame Adequate
01-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Nosh. I absolutely detest the word nosh. There are a thousand other words for food and I am unaware of any which I dislike as much as I dislike nosh.

qwertysaur
01-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Nosh. I absolutely detest the word nosh. There are a thousand other words for food and I am unaware of any which I dislike as much as I dislike nosh.
My family uses nosh all the time. It's a Yiddish word, I think it literally means "to snack on". xD

Rantz
01-16-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't know about despising, but I dislike "screen".

Cuchulainn
01-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Vomit.

Not just because of what it is, sick & puke can mean the same thing but aren't as tragically ugly. VOMIT is a God awful word.

So is Plinth

Lawr
01-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Larva. Ugh.

Edit
and festering.

ThundagAuron
01-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Maggots. Lather. Paste.

Hopefully not in the same sentence, either!

Bahamut2000X
01-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Grundle.

It's a word. Truly. It's an area on the male anatomy. And yeah that's all I'll say.

rubah
01-17-2009, 12:55 AM
. . .I dislike nosh.
Spoken as a true anorexic!

IronOcean
01-17-2009, 01:50 AM
Bush in all its ways as a name, decrotive lawn additive, and naughty bit cover up

Psychotic
01-17-2009, 03:10 AM
Poo.

Crap, :skull::skull::skull::skull:, faeces, whatever, all fine. I just hate that word. Hell, add "Loo" to that too.

rubah
01-17-2009, 04:06 AM
Paul does not poo in the loo. He poos on Stu.

Misfit
01-17-2009, 04:28 AM
Platypus.

Psychotic
01-17-2009, 04:29 AM
Paul does not poo in the loo. He poos on Stu.You have the strangest fetishes.

Rocket Edge
01-17-2009, 04:31 AM
FART

Yar
01-17-2009, 04:41 AM
Through. So many letters, yet just one syllable.

ThundagAuron
01-17-2009, 05:30 AM
Grundle.

It's a word. Truly. It's an area on the male anatomy. And yeah that's all I'll say.

LOL. Reminds me of the G-Man squad. Seriously, people, if you don't know what it is; do not look it up unless you REALLY want to know.

Cuchulainn
01-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Poo.

Crap, :skull::skull::skull::skull:, faeces, whatever, all fine. I just hate that word. Hell, add "Loo" to that too.

Reminds me, have you seen that new distrurbing
advert where this kid says 'I want to Poo' about 50,000 times? I never want to witness that again.

Loony BoB
01-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Penis. How could we name something we pride ourselves in due to it's manly nature with such a pansy name?

.:kerrod:.
01-17-2009, 09:54 AM
ok, my word can be very offensive and is a very harsh swear word, if you are sensitive to this type of thing, do NOT highlight the spoilers below...this post will probably be removed and i may even get banned :( but i demand to have my opinion heard!

to make it less hard-hitting, i'll number the letters and put them out of order, so you can put them together :) and it's not 'the F word' :tongue:

3. N

1. C

4. T

2. U

it's a very dirty word, it just feels ugly :p i assume you all know what it means, but it gives me the image of a dirty one, like that of a prostitute or something...i know that's pretty random, but it's true :tongue:

it also featured heavily in 'Atonement'; we had to deconstruct that movie in english last year...needless to say, all of us year 12s (being as mature as we are/were) were laughing and what-not :p our teachers were not impressed

the word doesn't seem as bad to me anymore because i've kind of been desensitised to...well, everything :eep: but it's still pretty ugly

Penis. How could we name something we pride ourselves in due to it's manly nature with such a pansy name?

i heartily agree :p

Kes
01-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Hm. That's what, two people disliking the four letter c word? I think as a collection of allophones, it's a good sound. Then again, I think German is a pretty language, so my concept of aesthetics may be a bit off.

I dislike the sound of [æ]. I also dislike the words "owed/ode", and "wince".

Værn
01-17-2009, 01:28 PM
I dislike pterodactyl, simply because there should not be a P in that word.

Araciel
01-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Scant.

It's so nasty sounding.

And Skype, though it's also a name...just sounds like something you call someone you don't like.

Psychotic
01-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Reminds me, have you seen that new distrurbing
advert where this kid says 'I want to Poo' about 50,000 times? I never want to witness that again.Even worse, he says "I want to poo at Paul's house". :| Then he and the mother are just chillin' in the toilet, grinning at each other. Seriously who the hell gave these people their marketing degrees?

rubah
01-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Hm. That's what, two people disliking the four letter c word? I think as a collection of allophones, it's a good sound. Then again, I think German is a pretty language, so my concept of aesthetics may be a bit off.

I dislike the sound of [æ]. I also dislike the words "owed/ode", and "wince".

Three! It's a good substitution for bitch, because mean names should have a sharp biting sound to them, but a name for the soft bits should be a bit softer and sweeter.

:skull::skull::skull::skull: is for women with razorwire in.

Rye
01-17-2009, 07:45 PM
I think German is pretty too. =O

Shorty
01-17-2009, 09:21 PM
I dislike the word "barf". Its ugly. Also the word "flake", because I think of skin flaking off one's self.

JKTrix
01-18-2009, 02:28 AM
I hate the word Monday.

01-18-2009, 02:34 AM
i'm writing this in both the 'Prettiest Word' and 'Ugliest Word' threads, because it applies to both :D

often, our perception of a word is based entirely off its meaning (eg. 'Monday' :p), and although there's no real problem with that, i don't think that's what the topic is asking (even though i'm pretty sure i did it too :tongue:)

JKTrix
01-18-2009, 03:09 AM
I find your rebuttal a little weak, or perhaps your choice of words. What is the 'meaning' of Monday?
Just 'cuz you singled it out :P

Perhaps you could clarify what the topic is about then. As I understand, the definitions of 'pretty' and 'ugly' are basically what one perceives as pleasant or unpleasant. It is kind of broad, and perhaps you interpreted it a certain way.

Maybe it could be the masterful/despicable placement of each letter in the word, or the subtle inflections of each syllable as they are spoken aloud. It could be as simple as how appealing a word looks on paper, or as profound as how a word makes one feel.

My two posts were partly a joke, but I do utterly dread the whole idea and existence of 'Monday'. Its meaning is simply 'the second day of the week', but what it represents is something different. And it gives me a truly ugly feeling.

01-18-2009, 03:31 AM
haha, yeah, sorry, i didn't mean to attack you or single you out :p it was just a random statement (and as i said, even i went against it, so i'm not judging you or looking down on anybody)

Maybe it could be the masterful/despicable placement of each letter in the word, or the subtle inflections of each syllable as they are spoken aloud.

this is kind of what i was getting at, and i know it's hard to judge words in this way because we already know their meaning, and it's hard to see a placement of letters as 'appealing' :tongue:

but yeah, it was just a statement (not a rebuttal), and i didn't mean to single anybody out, sorry

Momiji
01-18-2009, 03:34 AM
Doesn't the word 'Monday' have something to do with the word 'moon' as well?

(This also seems to work in Spanish as well, since Monday is 'lunes', (luna = moon?))

:D

EDIT: Did a little Wikipedia research; turns out that it's actually named after the moon in many other languages as well! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monday#Monday_in_different_languages)

Shlup
01-18-2009, 04:35 AM
Staple.

Tama2
01-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Cannibalism. There is no other word that makes me feel disgusting.

War Angel
01-21-2009, 11:28 PM
But it's pronounced "psych-y."
Actually, it's a Greek word, and you're mispronouncing it, too. :) For one, the 'P' is not silent, and the 'CH' is pronounced like the German\Hebrew\Arabic 'CH', not like the English 'K'.

And yes, it's got an awful sound.

I dislike pterodactyl, simply because there should not be a P in that word.
*sighs* Again, the 'P' is not supposed to be silent, you (English-speakers) just butchered the word. It's 'ptero', as in 'avian' or 'winged', and 'dactyl', meaning 'finger'. :)

Boney King
01-21-2009, 11:41 PM
Whenever people shorten words, it bugs the hell out of me.

Example: someone I know has a habit of shortening psychology to "psych", and criminology to "crim". And political science to "poli sci". It just strikes me as needless and lazy.

As for actual words, I don't like the spelling of "phlegm".

Moon Rabbits
01-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Tardy.

rubah
01-22-2009, 12:07 AM

Example: someone I know has a habit of shortening psychology to "psych", and criminology to "crim". And political science to "poli sci". It just strikes me as needless and lazy.

Classes I've taken:
Physichem
Amerigov
Cal
Gee Neg
Lit
Lang
Thermo

It may be lazy, but it's not needless! CONSERVATION STATION DO YOUR BEST.

Kes
01-22-2009, 12:59 AM

Classes I've taken:
Physichem
Amerigov
Cal
Gee Neg
Lit
Lang
Thermo

It may be lazy, but it's not needless! CONSERVATION STATION DO YOUR BEST.

I think shortening of subjects like polisci, psych, calc, etc. is so common I lump them in the same category as scuba, fridge, 'grats and so on.

I can't stand it when people say something's "ridic" though.

Also, acne, acme or hackney. The combination of [æ], [i] and a nasal just makes me bleh.

Moon Rabbits
01-22-2009, 03:43 AM
I can't stand it when people say something's "ridic" though.

Sometimes ridiculous is just too many syllables to sound awesome.

Kalen
01-22-2009, 05:47 PM
I don't know about ugliest, but I really, really hate "supple"... My kung fu teacher would always be like "You are so young and supple!"

Creeped me out, man.

Peegee
01-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Subjective question is subjective.

The most vile word in my vocabulary is a 4 letter word referring to the orifice between female legs.

demondude
01-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Subpoena is an ugly word, and I shall never use it!

lalaguide
07-24-2010, 06:55 AM
termagant is the ugliest

NorthernChaosGod
07-24-2010, 07:33 AM
Damn zombie threads.