PDA

View Full Version : Obscure Title is Obscure

Vermachtnis
01-17-2009, 04:27 PM
I notice it a lot all over this internet place, but especially here. People love obscure titles. I admit it is kinda fun having a character as an avatar and/or signature that only a handful of people know about. But it's also fun having a character a lot of people know about and actually talking about what ever it is they are from. And then laughing at them we they are wrong cause your theory is way superior than theirs. Some of the funnest conversations I've had were with random people at Gamestop talking about the game they had in my hand. And I'm not always the one to start it. Sometimes people come up to me and start chatting. BTW this topic is totally not because I showed up some elitist at FYE by knowing what Cave Story is and then buying *gasp* a mainstream anime (don't ask how we started talking about Cave Story, cause I'm not really sure myself.)

tl;dr
Do you get your jollies by having a character that only a few people know about?
Do you talk to random strangers about stuff they are buying?
Do you not care about mainstream/obscure and do what ever the hell you want?
Will Rocky and Bullwinkle make it out in time!?

Araciel
01-17-2009, 05:40 PM
No
Yes
To a degree.

rubah
01-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Kinda
No
Yes

The mainstream thing may be because the people who have moved beyond it have heard about the same mainstream things for soooooooooooooooooooooo long that there's nothing interesting in them anymore. It's kinda how [random EoFF oldbie] feels about the FFX forum, I'd imagine.

There's a logical sequence here, and it goes something like this:
Person is introduced to the new medium (anime, metal music, tv show) AND IT IS SO AMAZING.
Person learns everything there is to know about said medium.
Person brags about how much they know.
Person realizes people aren't interested in bragging, so they help other people learn instead.
Person gets tired of it all together.
Person finds something that hasn't been discussed to death AND IT"S SO AMAZING.
Person brags about obscure choices.
Person realizes people aren't interested in bragging and only mentions it when it comes up.
Nirvana.

Vermachtnis
01-17-2009, 08:48 PM
There's a logical sequence here, and it goes something like this:
Person is introduced to the new medium (anime, metal music, tv show) AND IT IS SO AMAZING.
Person learns everything there is to know about said medium.
Person brags about how much they know.
Person realizes people aren't interested in bragging, so they help other people learn instead.
Person gets tired of it all together.
Person finds something that hasn't been discussed to death AND IT"S SO AMAZING.
Person brags about obscure choices.
Person realizes people aren't interested in bragging and only mentions it when it comes up.
Nirvana.

The problem is step 2, you can't learn everything and there for they are big ego maniacs for thinking so :p

Momiji
01-17-2009, 09:14 PM
You should have called it 'Doukutsu Monogatari' and laughed at the bewildered look on his face.

As for the questions:
1. Of course I do. :D
2. No, I'm usually too embarrassed by my own purchases when I'm shopping.
3. I usually do what I want, but I'll admit that I don't ever really get into anything mainstream. In most cases, when I get something 'mainstream', it's because it's a time-tested classic. :p
4. Who knows?

Moon Rabbits
01-18-2009, 01:16 AM
I don't pick up on obscure things to "get my jollies" from lolling at people who don't know what the smurf I'm talking about ... I just have a habit of finding obscure things.

Sometimes I talk to strangers about the things they're purchasing, but I talk to strangers all the time anyway so that's not surprising.

I like mainstream things, too, though. Like Britney Spears!

edit: Oh, and Cave Story is hardly what I'd call an "obscure" title. Every one and their grandma knows about that game by now.