PDA

View Full Version : Odd Classes

Depression Moon
01-20-2009, 01:28 AM
As far as the Final Fantasies I've played, there hasn't really been many characters in the series with the odd classes. By odd classes I mean the ones we don;t usually see, something on the terms of Mimic, or mime, a trainer, alchemist, gambler, etc.

Before anyone refers to Rikku as an alchemist, I'm not diminishing the fact that she is one, but what I'm talking about is someone whose primary means of attack and healing is through the use of mixing items. I'm not sure of what Wakka's class is. He focuses on weakening the enemy by inflicting them with status ailments. I would like to see a trainer class, someone who uses captured monsters to battle, but it seems like it might not work though in a turned based FF.

What are some of the minor or forgotten classes in FF that you would like to see return in a specific class format?

qwertysaur
01-20-2009, 02:08 AM
FF X mixed a lot of the classes together :p
Rikku is a thief/alchemist
Wakka is a mix between what is part of a green mage and gambler
Khimari a mix of Dragoon/Blue Mage

I liked the Mystic Knight and Oracle from FFV. Oracle is a new job from the GBA port. Giving attacks magic properties is cool, and affecting the future of the battle is a great idea that can be expanded on to a great system.

Depression Moon
01-20-2009, 02:11 AM
Wasn't green magic not invented until XII came along?

blackmage_nuke
01-20-2009, 02:29 AM
I really liked Mog's dancer/geomancer class. I dont really like the other dancers which make status effects. I saw Gau as a sort of reverse trainer in that the monsters trained him instead of the other way around and that worked pretty well but it would've been good if he could train off the Veldt or something.

Wakka is the long range accurate type so i'd see him as a replacement for 'gunner'

Jessweeee♪
01-20-2009, 04:26 AM
Everyone had a little dancer inside of them in FFX!

Crossblades
01-20-2009, 08:26 PM
FF X mixed a lot of the classes together :p
Rikku is a thief/alchemist
Wakka is a mix between what is part of a green mage and gambler
Khimari a mix of Dragoon/Blue Mage

Gambler yes, Green Mage no. He learned some Black Magic and Green Magic wasn't introduced till XII anyway.

And as for return of certain classes, Mime comes to mind. Gogo is the only official Mime character in the FF universe and the only other games that had the Mime class was FFT and FF V.

Wakka is the long range accurate type so i'd see him as a replacement for 'gunner'

Ranger would be a better term for him as he uses a Blitzball for ranged attacks instead of the typical Guns, Crossbows, Bows & Arrows.

Momiji
01-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Wasn't green magic not invented until XII came along?

It wasn't categorized as such before then, but the spells were still there. xD

Depression Moon
01-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Wait wait, wasn't green magic focused on positive status effects like Protect, Shell, Reflect, and Might?

Momiji
01-20-2009, 08:57 PM
I thought green magic was just status magic in general. :p

Crossblades
01-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Wait wait, wasn't green magic focused on positive status effects like Protect, Shell, Reflect, and Might?

Yes

qwertysaur
01-20-2009, 10:15 PM

Yes
That is incorrect. Green Magic is a class that focuses on magic that alter statuses. There are positive effects like mentioned above, and negative effects. Wakka's section of the sphere grid contains abilities that incur various negative status effects. (Blind, Silence, Sleep)

Green Magic (http://www.eyesonff.com/ff12/magicks.php#st4) list can be found here.

I think of magic as broader then simply the same spell is always in the same class. For example, haste has been found in Black, White, and Time Magic classes over the course of various Final Fantasy installments.

Crossblades
01-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Wakka's section of the sphere grid contains abilities that incur various negative status effects. (Blind, Silence, Sleep)

Those are skills, not magic(in FF X anyway). The only spells he learns on his grid is Drain and Osmose

Depression Moon
01-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Oh okay, i never used status ailments in XII unless it was a weapon effect. I'm not sure if a mime character would work. It would be a little boring just selecting the same old option every time and what would that character's limit break be?

I would also like to see a very strict and basis Time Mage character, but I'm not sure if he'll have enough spells to be consistent throughout the entire game, because I think time magic consists of magic that bends time and space so I think these are the spells related to it.

Haste
Slow
Slowga
Hastega
Stop
Float
Demi or Gravity
Quake?
Comet
Meteor

XII had bleed and immobilize for Time as well, although I think bleed would be better for Arcane magic. Speaking of Arcane Magic I would think it would make more since to have status ailments in there along with the dark spells.

Wolf Kanno
01-21-2009, 06:04 AM
Oh okay, i never used status ailments in XII unless it was a weapon effect. I'm not sure if a mime character would work. It would be a little boring just selecting the same old option every time and what would that character's limit break be?

Gogo can answer that... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l49ouwk38ro) ;)

Crossblades
01-21-2009, 04:27 PM
I would also like to see a very strict and basis Time Mage character

We already have one. Ashe from FF XII:Revenant Wings for the DS

blackmage_nuke
01-21-2009, 04:34 PM

Gogo can answer that... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l49ouwk38ro) ;)
OMG A GIANT ROCK!!

Masamunemaster
02-01-2009, 03:29 AM
I always thought time mages were able to control time and space which is why they had meteor, but quake seems more of a black magic

Depression Moon
02-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Do any of you think that having a very strict Summoner character could work in a main entry series, meaning all the character has for options is attack, summon, and item?

TheSpoonyBard
02-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Like the Evoker and Summoner of III?

Depression Moon
02-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Yeah I guess, but not on the fly job like III was. I hadn't played it, but i heard you could switch jobs at anytime.

Big D
02-02-2009, 05:54 AM
I think X-2's Trainer and Lady Luck classes are pretty unusual. Almost entirely unique, unless you count Shadow and Rinoa as part-time Trainers due to their dogs. I guess Setzer is kind of a gambler in line with Lady Luck, but again there're differences. Most notably in the costuming department.

Unstoppable Pig
02-02-2009, 02:32 PM
I think X-2's Trainer and Lady Luck classes are pretty unusual. Almost entirely unique, unless you count Shadow and Rinoa as part-time Trainers due to their dogs. I guess Setzer is kind of a gambler in line with Lady Luck, but again there're differences. Most notably in the costuming department.

So you think Setzer should dress like this http://www.freewebs.com/ffx2_yuna3/Ladyluck.jpg

I would like to see more Gau-classes. Biggest difference to Gau that character should be controlled and not so time consuming way to get all rages.

Depression Moon
07-13-2009, 07:48 PM
What is Gau's class? He's pretty weird of a character it seems like a blue mage, but instead of it being magic, he just completely acts like the enemy he's imitating.

I also wonder what Relm is as well.

ReloadPsi
07-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Gau and Relm are officially categorised as Feral Youth and Pictomancer respectively.

But yes, they play a little bit like Blue Mages.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-13-2009, 08:08 PM
I want to see another Biskmatar, just so Square might explain where the heck they got that term.

Quindiana Jones
07-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Just out of curiosity, I decided to Google it. This (http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-tactics/76018-just-what-hell-biskmatar-anyway.html) is the second response.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-13-2009, 11:22 PM
I rest my case. :doublecolbert:

Sword
07-14-2009, 08:46 PM
I would also like to see a very strict and basis Time Mage character

We already have one. Ashe from FF XII:Revenant Wings for the DS

Tidus could also be classed as a time mage. With a touch of warrior thrown in of course.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-14-2009, 09:07 PM
If they don't wear a robe and a conical hat, they're not a real Time Mage.

qwertysaur
07-14-2009, 09:47 PM
I also always found the Skyseer (Heaven Knight) and Netherseer (Hell Knight) to be odd. :p

xXsarahXx
07-14-2009, 09:53 PM
I thought Omatsurishi (Festival goer) and Psychicer were 2 odd choices for job classes in ffx-2 international. Wish i could have played them on the uk version :( :(

Depression Moon
07-14-2009, 11:49 PM
I also always found the Skyseer (Heaven Knight) and Netherseer (Hell Knight) to be odd. :p

Those just sound like fancy names for Paladin and Dark Knight.

felfenix
07-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Except they weren't at all like a paladin or dark knight.

Jiro
07-15-2009, 10:52 AM
I would like to see a Gambler who tosses a coin or rolls dice to see who he attacks and for how much damage. Purely because I think that's cool

Heath
07-15-2009, 05:10 PM
I think leaving the target of the attack up to chance would be a bit annoying, Jiro. Good idea otherwise though.

I would like to see more class-based characters though, similar to FFIX. Too often people who we consider to be a class, e.g. Kimarhi as a Dragoon/Blue Mage just comes down to their overdrives and their weapons, which doesn't really play a huge role a lot of the time.

Depression Moon
07-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah I can agree on that and eventhough I like Freya I didn't find much use for her attacks. Most of her specials I never used. I think that the cost of Dragon Crest should result in higher damage. I'm aware that it's based on how many dragins she's slain, but you would have to work hard for it to make it good.

I usually just use Lancer, Reis' Wind, and Cherry Blossom.

I also think that there should be a blue Mage more like Quina, but their limit breaks would be more like a boss version of blue magic meaning special blue magic that you can only learn from boss enemies.

Sword
07-15-2009, 06:35 PM
I think leaving the target of the attack up to chance would be a bit annoying, Jiro.

Um If you tell all the party members to attack 1 target and it dies on the 1st hit them the rest of the attack targets are left up to chance. Happens in FF games all the time. I don't see why a random target is a really bad thing.

EDIT: Cyan's dispatch attack (FF6) has random target.

ShadowScar Knight
07-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Moar mimes, please.