PDA

View Full Version : Oh, by the way... I tried to say I'd be there, waiting for

Yar
01-20-2009, 09:15 AM
We Americans are getting a new president today. Oh, and he's black too.

So, if you live anywhere on the face of the Earth and are planning on watching TV today, you'll probably be watching the inauguration or related events; it'll pretty much be on every single channel.

:D

The Man
01-20-2009, 09:36 AM
I'll probably watch it live, but I still don't know at what time he's sworn in.

Yar
01-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Swearing in is at 12:00 noon (eastern time, of course).

The Man
01-20-2009, 09:41 AM
I should probably go to bed then.

...cba :monster:

Blue Harvest
01-20-2009, 11:23 AM
I'll be watching it. I don't want to miss history in the making.

Araciel
01-20-2009, 11:44 AM
I was going to make a 'where were you when it happened' thread, but I guess most people would say 'work' or 'school'

XxSephirothxX
01-20-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm kind of bummed I'm going to be in class, and unfortunately (probably) not with a professor hip enough to cancel lecture so we can watch it. Le sigh.

Goldenboko
01-20-2009, 12:29 PM
My PreCalc teacher is gonna let us watch. He's the man. :thumb:

Yar
01-20-2009, 12:42 PM
More importantly, who's watching Biden's swearing in at 11:30? :greenie:

Flying Mullet
01-20-2009, 01:02 PM
A woman called into one of our local radio shows to say that she arrived at the capitol to for the inauguration at 4:00 am and she's already two to three hundred yards away from the capital.

Momiji
01-20-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm going to miss it. Damn it.

Oh well, it's not like it won't be shown again. I can probably find it recorded online somewhere too.

Flying Mullet
01-20-2009, 01:27 PM
We're taping it to watch later this evening.

Loony BoB
01-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Congratulations, the United States of America has finally caught up with the majority of the world with regards to being able to put someone who isn't a white guy in charge of their country. ;) 'tis a big thing for America, though, and I'm sure I'll read all about it in the newspaper tomorrow. Better than reading about death, famine and rape as normal.

Fonzie
01-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Hmm, I'll be in lunch, so I might go watch it in a teachers class and grab my food.

Not in that particular order, mind you.

Leen-Leen
01-20-2009, 01:59 PM
It's airing midnight or 2 AM my time, so I'll just have to watch it in school tomorrow. D; They said they would play it for us, but you know how schools are! I'll probably just end up watching it at home tomorrow evening.

Rantz
01-20-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm not planning on watching TV today. :monster:

Loony BoB
01-20-2009, 04:31 PM
For Barack Obama's security people, today is a nightmare. The worst aspect of it is right now - when the incoming and outgoing administrations are gathered together on the Capitol steps. In order to be prepared for a national catastrophe, a single cabinet member stays away from the proceedings to guarantee continuity come what may. This year, Defence Secretary Robert Gates is watching it all on TV at a military installation "somewhere in the United States".
Hahaha, how would you feel if you were Gates and a bomb fell on D.C. right now xD That would be such a 'bugger' moment.

Jiro
01-20-2009, 04:39 PM
I'll probably end up missing it. I'll find it online or something, I don't want to miss it altogether.

I Took the Red Pill
01-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Aretha Franklin sounds like a toddler

Polaris
01-20-2009, 05:11 PM
This guy has such speech! God, I wish I had his eloquency :(

Kirobaito
01-20-2009, 05:28 PM
I got my first class canceled today in order to watch. Wonderful!

Psychotic
01-20-2009, 05:31 PM
HA HA OBAMA TRIPPED OVER THE PRESIDENTIAL OATH THIS MAKES HIM AN IDIOT!

Hey, everyone dogpiled onto Bush whenever he messed up his words. Let's not have double standards here! :monster:

I wish we could have Obama instead of Gordon bloody Brown.

Flying Mullet
01-20-2009, 05:31 PM
This guy has such speech! God, I wish I had his eloquency :(
No kidding.

Montoya
01-20-2009, 05:33 PM
I thought it was going to happen later on today, and to my surprise it was already happening live when I went to go get some water.

Kalen
01-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Oh, and he's black too.

It's funny, I visited some of my family in Belgium at the end of last year who were glad I was voting for him even though they are hilariously racist...My cousin was like "Ah yes, but you can't see him at night, can you? Ho ho ho!" ...love it.

I'm glad Bush isn't my president anymore, but I sure wish he was my crazy uncle. <3

Oh and, hi EoFF...

Del Murder
01-20-2009, 05:37 PM
HA HA OBAMA TRIPPED OVER THE PRESIDENTIAL OATH THIS MAKES HIM AN IDIOT!

Hey, everyone dogpiled onto Bush whenever he messed up his words. Let's not have double standards here! :monster:

Actually the chief justice mixed up the words which is what tripped him up.

Tavrobel
01-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Watched it. I got out of the bathroom when Biden was being sworn in, and I stopped watching at the poem. It wasn't very good.

TyphoonThaReapa
01-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Lol, that prayer was nice man...good stuff...

SuperMillionaire
01-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Dang, I didn't see this topic when you closed my thread... anyway, Big Bad Bush is FINALLY out of office!

Madame Adequate
01-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Hahaha, I love that the oath got messed up xD

I was also halfway hoping for him to just bust out an evil laugh for 20 minutes, just because that would be such win. As it stands, that's one of the better political speeches made, though, so I forgive him.

I was just trying to imagine what it must be like to be a black person over the age of about 50 today. I mean, to remember a time of segregation like that, and today see a black man take the oath of office... damn.

The Man
01-20-2009, 05:58 PM
hay 'sup Kalen :monster:

Also yeah, his speech was awesome and I was quite moved by it. I'm not going to go so far as to say this is a revolutionary moment for the country, but it's definitely a large step in the right direction and I'm pretty pleased.

Montoya
01-20-2009, 05:58 PM
I love the way Former President Bush sounds.

scrumpleberry
01-20-2009, 06:02 PM
i just have to say aretha had the best hat ever

Also, well done Obama. Now make good on your promises!

Jowy
01-20-2009, 06:21 PM
"and now for an American poet..."

So who else shut off the TV and went to go pee at that part? I know I did.

Del Murder
01-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Yeah I went back to work at that point. :p

Roogle
01-20-2009, 06:45 PM
The hope of millions will resound in the actions of the American government in the next four years no matter what happens!

Flying Mullet
01-20-2009, 06:49 PM
The poem was where I went back to work as well. :p

demondude
01-20-2009, 06:51 PM
I only caught the last 15 minutes. I'll have to see his speech elsewhere.

rubah
01-20-2009, 06:59 PM
I was in class, but I caught a glimpse coming back :(

Mirage
01-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Only half of the channels were showing it here, so I didn't catch it :/.

Aretha Franklin wasn't very impressive.

Momiji
01-20-2009, 07:53 PM
I managed to see it at Subway after buying a book that I needed for one of my classes. I came in when Aretha Franklin was starting to sing (which I thought was awful btw)

"My coun-
-try 'tis of thee.."

Obama's speech was amazing though. Absolutely stunning. I'm glad I didn't miss it.

Mirage
01-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Yeah I mean wtf, her voice was just awful. :(

I don't see how she got famous unless she had a better voice when she was younger than retired

The Man
01-20-2009, 08:01 PM
She had a much better voice when she was younger, yes.

'sup guys I changed my avatar.

Yar
01-20-2009, 08:04 PM
I get a little smirk each time I hear "President Obama." :D

Momiji
01-20-2009, 08:18 PM
To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history; but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist.

I got shivers down my spine when he said that. Such powerful words.

Miriel
01-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Apparently, executive orders are gonna come shooting out from the Administration ASAP. Including an executive order to shut down Guantanamo Bay.

I <3 my President. First time in my adult life that I've been able to say that!

Lawr
01-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Most of my school day was spent watching the Inauguration. I liked his speech.

Old Manus
01-20-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm just waiting for the youtube nutters to start making videos about how the oath cockup was actually them speaking in illuminati code and Obama's penis is shaped like a pentagram.

qwertysaur
01-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Yay PRESIDENT Obama!

Yar
01-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Today's New York Times Crossword is very presidential! :monster:

*is solving*

Madame Adequate
01-20-2009, 09:17 PM
To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history; but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist.

I got shivers down my spine when he said that. Such powerful words.

That was a pretty awesome phrase. I also loved this:

because we have tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation, and emerged from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass; that the lines of tribe shall soon dissolve; that as the world grows smaller, our common humanity shall reveal itself

Miriel
01-20-2009, 09:27 PM
It's freaking me out every time Obama is getting out of the car along the parade route.

Flying Mullet
01-20-2009, 09:27 PM
I also appreciated this part of the speech:

For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- <b>and nonbelievers</b>.
It's odd to hear a president acknowledge all Americans after the last eight years.

The Man
01-20-2009, 09:28 PM
I also appreciated this part of the speech:

For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers.
It's odd to hear a president acknowledge all Americans after the last eight years.

http://fools-gold.org/forum/images/smilies/word.gif

Depression Moon
01-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Oh yeah I skipped class today in regards to this. They must be crazy! It's two feet of snow outside and public schools are canceled, but no college! why should I have to risk my net and miss the inauguration if my little brother gets to stay home!?

I watched it earlier today on several different stations and I found it touching. I enjoyed Aretha Franklin's performance, but that poet they had didn't even seem like a poet. It sounded like a speech and a dull one at that and if she wrote it then she wouldn't have to constantly look down at the paper. Oh man oh man we finally got a black family in the white house!

Crimson
01-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Congrats Americans.

Heh, we've got a fat-ass who looks like a drunk for a Prime Minister, and you've got a multi-racial president, isnt the world becoming a funny place lately?

Yar
01-20-2009, 10:38 PM

*is solving*Yay! It took me an hour and a half, but I got it!

Answers included PRESIDENTOBAMA, AUDACITYOFHOPE, CAMPAIGNRIVALRY, LEADEROFAMERICA, SENATE, JOE, BIDEN, and the circle of circles in the puzzle spells "yes we can."

Goldenboko
01-20-2009, 10:44 PM

*is solving*Yay! It took me an hour and a half, but I got it!

Answers included PRESIDENTOBAMA, AUDACITYOFHOPE, CAMPAIGNRIVALRY, LEADEROFAMERICA, SENATE, JOE, BIDEN, and the circle of circles in the puzzle spells "yes we can."

(h5)

Jessweeee♪
01-20-2009, 11:23 PM
My grandparents offered to convince my parents to let me play hooky to watch, but it's such a pain in the ass to be absent from my school nowadays what with the retarded ways they try to prevent truancy. Plus it's the first day of the new semester, not a good day to miss :\

Maybe I'll watch it on the internet or something.

Del Murder
01-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Obama talks a big game, time to see if he can put our money where his mouth is.

Marshall Banana
01-21-2009, 12:23 AM
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/emoticons/panda_inlove.gif

Depression Moon
01-21-2009, 12:44 AM
My grandparents offered to convince my parents to let me play hooky to watch, but it's such a pain in the ass to be absent from my school nowadays what with the retarded ways they try to prevent truancy. Plus it's the first day of the new semester, not a good day to miss :\

Maybe I'll watch it on the internet or something.

The first day is the easiest. Most of the time even if it's college all they talk about is the syllabus and if it's high school give you a permission slip for your parents to sign.

Flying Mullet
01-21-2009, 12:57 AM
This line in the headline story on cnn.com made me chuckle:

He and the first lady are now preparing to juggle the inaugural balls.

rubah
01-21-2009, 03:55 AM
the more I look at her, the more Michelle reminds me of my roommate. . . It's kinda weird.

Aerith's Knight
01-21-2009, 03:57 AM
I thought he was inaugrated the moment he won the elections. >_>

Wouldn't a president do crazy stuff after he loses the elections?

Anywho, let's see if anything changes now.

Shiny
01-21-2009, 04:05 AM
I knew he was a good public speaker but dayum! I did not know that it was to that extent. His inauguration speech was seriously one the best speeches I've ever heard and it wasn't just the content, but the way in which it was delivered was just wow. Although I thought his whole opening was a little weird. Felt like an announcer introducing a boxer. I expected him to say, "Coming in at 180 pounds".

Tavrobel
01-21-2009, 04:05 AM

No, he isn't. If he were, people in the 1700s must've had a wicked sick way to talk to each other instantly. Something like, a cell phone.

... ohh, wait.

Ask Carter. He lost to Reagan as an incumbent President seeking re-election.

rubah
01-21-2009, 04:11 AM

Anywho, let's see if anything changes now.

He already admitted there are people who do not have [christian] religious beliefs who are not terrorists. I'd say that's a pretty big change.

Bunny
01-21-2009, 05:08 AM
I totally meant to watch it and everything but then I didn't so that kinda sucks I guess.

True story.

Yar
01-21-2009, 05:14 AM
I totally meant to watch it and everything but then I didn't so that kinda sucks I guess.

True story.Thank god for Interwebs?

Bunny
01-21-2009, 05:19 AM
I actually had no intention of watching it at all.

Flying Mullet
01-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Ask Carter. He lost to Reagan as an incumbent President seeking re-election.
Same with Bush Sr. when he lost to Clinton.

Jiro
01-21-2009, 01:16 PM
I realised that it started live here just after I went to bed. However, I got up at half 11 my time, so I missed the whole thing.

Levian
01-21-2009, 01:18 PM
CHAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaAAAAANGE

happy bday americuh

XxSephirothxX
01-21-2009, 02:17 PM
hi-five to thread title change

Elite Lord Sigma
01-22-2009, 04:02 AM
I got to miss a chemistry lab period to watch the inauguration. For the first time in years, I can say that I genuinely felt very happy--nearly ecstatic, even--and this is coming from somebody who rarely expresses what he feels.

Fonzie
01-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Nice RHCP reference mystery mod.

Old Manus
01-22-2009, 08:30 AM
I would have changed it to 'Which one's pink?', but y'all won't put me on staff so it's your own fault :mad2:

The Man
01-22-2009, 04:36 PM
That would've been significantly better, yes.

Montoya
01-22-2009, 08:01 PM
I finally got the title change. :p

fire_of_avalon
01-23-2009, 07:31 PM
He's biracial. He's multicultural.

I just wanted to point that out because I'm sick of Americans patting themselves on the back. STFU Americans. Breaking down racial barriers doesn't mean jackcrap if you run your mouths about it. It's a big deal. But you shouldn't be proud of yourselves just because you're white and voted for a "black" man. That's just... ugh.

YAY CLOSING GITMO.

arcanedude34
01-24-2009, 01:19 AM
The speech was amazing, the poem was just awful. And that guy who was there for Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech devolved into Doctor Seuss towards the end of his speech thing.

Disenchanted_Cynic
01-24-2009, 11:20 PM
I am not impressed with our politicians, and I am disgusted with the way people are so often led to only vote within a two-party system. Though , in the grand spectrum of things, it matters not who you vote for. The powers that be will elect who they want, regardless. This country needs more change than an African-American President, who will not be able to fulfill an objective which economically and domestically uneducated Americans expect him to. Change will come, in time. However, I do not believe it to be the change Americans are hoping for.

Madame Adequate
01-24-2009, 11:34 PM
He's biracial. He's multicultural.

I just wanted to point that out because I'm sick of Americans patting themselves on the back. STFU Americans. Breaking down racial barriers doesn't mean jackcrap if you run your mouths about it. It's a big deal. But you shouldn't be proud of yourselves just because you're white and voted for a "black" man. That's just... ugh.

YAY CLOSING GITMO.

People shouldn't feel proud as individuals for it, but they can feel proud of their society for doing it. And at least the US is able to admit to itself that it has a race issue and have a debate about it.

Edit: Also, aside from people pointing out "He's only half-black so it's not as big a deal", has anyone actually noticed or cared that he's not 100% black?

Disenchanted_Cynic
01-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Or the fact that he is, in all actuality, more Afghan than Black? It's true. They should not be expressing so much concern over the color of his skin, or his race in the first place, either way.

The Man
01-25-2009, 04:44 AM
It's true.Actually, it's not. I'm not sure where you're getting this misinformation from, but my best guess would be that you need to stop paying attention to Jerome Corsi/Sean Hannity/Alan Keyes/Andy Martin/whoever else has been spreading ridiculous rumours about his ethnicity.

Cloud Strife-78-
01-26-2009, 03:17 PM
I watched it a few days ago.Didn't record though.

fire_of_avalon
01-27-2009, 03:35 AM
The speech was amazing, the poem was just awful. And that guy who was there for Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech devolved into Doctor Seuss towards the end of his speech thing.

Hey. Dr. Seuss was a freakin' genius. Don't even. Don't. Even.

Quindiana Jones
01-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Aretha Franklin was hideous.

I watched it until the good bits were over, then went back to reading. It's really not that big a deal.