PDA

View Full Version : LOVELESS

Unus Volatilis Angelus
01-21-2009, 04:14 AM
"Infinite in mystery is the Gift of the Goddess, We seek it thus and take to the sky"- Loveless Act I (said by Genesis in Crisis Core).
Why did the creators of FFVII make this play? The play really isn't even a play, just poetic verses. What gives? I like it but I was just curious...

PeneloRatsbane
01-21-2009, 10:16 AM
the play is adapted from the poem, and i think it comes from the point of view of the woman waiting for one of the men. and it was just a random background thing which caught people imaginations so they advanced on it in Crisis Core

Wolf Kanno
01-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Like PeneloRatsbane mentioned, the poem gets its name from a reference on one of the building's in the opening to the original game. It got expanded on for the Compilation.

I thought I heard Kishi mention the term Loveless is a reference to a real world music group or something but I can't remember.

Elly
01-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Loveless is an album released by a band called My Bloody Valentine, if you look at the billboard in question you'll notice both the band and album titles are clearly displayed with the exception of a couple of letters that get cut off at the top of the frame...

The Turk
01-22-2009, 01:44 PM
And of course My Bloody Valentine is fronted by our very own former Turk- Vincent.

So one would assume Loveless is a play adapted from the Vincent, my bloody, Valentine album of the same name about his Lucrecia's feelings for him- loveless.

MJN SEIFER
01-22-2009, 03:14 PM
So did Crisis Core actually show the Loveless play then?

I think in FFVII it was suposed to be subtley symbolic, in that it is asociated with Aeris a few times, but I don't know if that was the intention.

PeneloRatsbane
01-22-2009, 06:48 PM
you don't see the play in crisis core, but Genesis is like its ultimate fan-boy and he carries the book aroundwith him, he reads it to Angeal and Sephiroth, and they tolerate it with mild amusement

MJN SEIFER
01-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Got it.

The Turk
01-22-2009, 09:19 PM
I don't think they even thought about Loveless at all when they made Final Fantasy VII. It just appears in the background clutter once while you one away from Reactor 1 and Cid mentions it once at the end of the game. There are rumours that there was a sidequest where you could watch the play in the game that was scrapped due to lack of time to implement it. It's not meant to symbolize anything in VII.

It was just with Crisis Core that they decided to make it into something. I don't have a clue what the play means or more importantly who wrote this prophetic nonsense? Genesis says something about "The Gift of the Goddess" a lot during CC. I summarized that the 'goddess' may be Jenova, but since I don't care about the spin-offs and I don't really care about what the play means lol.

Darkswordofchaos
01-22-2009, 09:56 PM
it seems to me that the creators of FFVII tend to put a lot of deep/confusing/WTF does that mean things in their games.

MJN SEIFER
01-22-2009, 10:53 PM
It's not meant to symbolize anything in VII.

Like I said, I always assumed it was meant to symbolize Aeris and what she had to do to save the world, I had "evidence" for it (note "evidense" is in inverted commas because it isn't "evidence" really, just what I intepretted as evidence - like most of my theories really.) but it could be wrong. (and probably is)

it seems to me that the creators of FFVII tend to put a lot of deep/confusing/WTF does that mean things in their games.

But there is usually a reason, be it to symobolize or just something they felt like doing. If my Aeris theories are wrong, then maybe they just wanted to refference My Bloody Valentine for some reason (someone at Sqaure might be a fan) and they already had a script for Cid to talk about plays so they made it the same one. Who knows really, but Square.