PDA

View Full Version : If I don't get in...

Wisdom Biscuit
01-23-2009, 09:34 PM
If I were to fall at the final hurdle and not get the grades necessary for college, would my life be over, so to speak? Would I honestly have to settle for a mediocre job and a lackluster existence?

I suppose what I really want to know is, is college really all that imperative? I'm freaking the smurf out. :(

Araciel
01-23-2009, 09:43 PM
you could just try again if you were set on college... adults as old as you can imagine go to college all the time

or you could make a nice living without it, you just have to know where to go/what to do. Many people don't even use the credentials they get in college in any meaningful way.

Rye
01-23-2009, 09:46 PM
You can go to college and be unsuccessful, or you can not go and be successful. It depends on how you work.

It is EASIER though with a degree. And don't forget, you can still go to a junior college or a community college. You don't have to go to the top college to get a good education.

Wisdom Biscuit
01-23-2009, 09:50 PM
School is a horrible system. I hate the fact that some people are often reduced to tears over a piece of paper; it's so demoralizing. :(

Araciel
01-23-2009, 09:56 PM
I never understood that, but then I've never worked so hard for grades., whether it be because they came easy or because of what they promised.

scrumpleberry
01-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Stop freaking out. Drop everything for an evening. No - just fucking forget it. Chill and get some sleep and I'm sure you'll be thinking clearer in the morning.

I do agree completely there's way way too much emphasis put on the exams, at the very least.

rubah
01-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Over the last year, I have come to realize that college is not the end all to be all. You can do pretty good things with vocational school, and really, work is a means to pay the bills. You can make it enjoyable several ways, by doing something you enjoy, by working with people you enjoy, etc.

Some universities are pretty lax about grades for admission. If the one you like is not one of these, just go to a community college for a couple of years, pick up an associates, and try again. (it'll be cheaper this way, too)

Wisdom Biscuit
01-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Stop freaking out. Drop everything for an evening. No - just smurfing forget it. Chill and get some sleep and I'm sure you'll be thinking clearer in the morning.

I do agree completely there's way way too much emphasis put on the exams, at the very least.
I'm in this frame of mind because I recieved my mock results today: C,D,E,E.

My friend got an A*, four Bs and two Cs. I feel awful about myself. :(

JKTrix
01-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Not all colleges require 'good grades' to get into. Some just require that you can speak English well enough to take and understand instruction. If you're not at a certain level in some subjects like English and Math, you'll get courses to catch you up on them before you start on the college-level of those subjects.

It depends on what you want to do, if you know what you want to do when you're going to college. If you don't know, it may be worth taking a break from school to work for a while to gain some perspective.

I went to a college right after high school and dropped out after 2 and a half years (for various reasons outside of the school experience). Then, I worked for a little over 4 years after that, and in September I started school again. The school I'm in now doesn't require any kind of grade transcripts, just a high school graduation certificate. Then you take a placement test to gauge where you should start when it comes to English and Math.

It does depend what you want to do and what school you would like to get into, but it's certainly not 'life-ending' if you don't.

Darkswordofchaos
01-23-2009, 11:37 PM
One of my good friends dad dropped out of high school started his own roofing company and now hes like a gajillanire. He is litrally the richest man in the county i live in but im sure that dosent happen that often

Old Manus
01-24-2009, 12:38 AM
School is a horrible system. I hate the fact that some people are often reduced to tears over a piece of paper; it's so demoralizing. :(It's not the system's fault if you cry over a few sheets of paper

Bunny
01-24-2009, 12:54 AM
School is a horrible system. I hate the fact that some people are often reduced to tears over a piece of paper; it's so demoralizing. :(It's not the system's fault if you cry over a few sheets of paper

Yeah seriously, grow a penis dude.

The more and more I hear about the college "experience", the less interested I am in going. I understand that it is easier to get a good job with a degree, because it opens so many doors, but I also realize that it is not necessary to be successful. There are plenty of jobs out there that do not require a degree and plenty that do. It's all about finding the right one.

For instance, business. Business degrees are probably the most worthless wastes of time and money out there.

SNOOZER
01-24-2009, 01:39 AM
I joined the military right after high school.

Depression Moon
01-24-2009, 01:52 AM
Not all colleges require 'good grades' to get into. Some just require that you can speak English well enough to take and understand instruction. If you're not at a certain level in some subjects like English and Math, you'll get courses to catch you up on them before you start on the college-level of those subjects.

It depends on what you want to do, if you know what you want to do when you're going to college. If you don't know, it may be worth taking a break from school to work for a while to gain some perspective.

I went to a college right after high school and dropped out after 2 and a half years (for various reasons outside of the school experience). Then, I worked for a little over 4 years after that, and in September I started school again. The school I'm in now doesn't require any kind of grade transcripts, just a high school graduation certificate. Then you take a placement test to gauge where you should start when it comes to English and Math.

It does depend what you want to do and what school you would like to get into, but it's certainly not 'life-ending' if you don't.

This man summed it up pretty well. I don't have to go into much details then.

qwertysaur
01-24-2009, 01:54 AM
The only degrees that will always require you to keep up your grades are Law and Medicine, because they are so competitive. Whenever you take a test, remember that it's pretty much insignificant in the end if you don't score the highest. The important thing about a college application is not the transcript, but the resume. What can you bring to the institution that sets you apart from everyone else. Sure a high grade looks impressive, but a resume that shows your dedication for whatever it is you love to do is so much more.

You say you are worried a bad grade will end your future, well that is defiantly not the case at all. It was also simply a practice test, so getting some questions wrong is actually kinda a blessing in disguise. Take a look at the test, see what it is you got wrong, and learn from those mistakes. Your friend did better then you, but don't worry about that. Talk to either your parents or teachers and see what you can do to study without sacrificing sleep, or if college is what you even need for your future. A lot of people go to college, then decide they don't need it and leave.

The most important thing is to remember you are not yet at an edge. The sooner you stop thinking you already failed, the easier it will be to start making some actions to start moving towards your personal goal. if you have any questions academically, the Study Hall forum is your friend, just make a thread with what confuses you, and members will help explain to you what it is you are unsure of. :) Have some confidence in yourself, you can do it! :D

black orb
01-24-2009, 02:43 PM
If I were to fall at the final hurdle and not get the grades necessary for college, would my life be over, so to speak? Would I honestly have to settle for a mediocre job and a lackluster existence?

I suppose what I really want to know is, is college really all that imperative? I'm freaking the smurf out. :(
>>> I thought you only needed money to get in college..