PDA

View Full Version : qwerty's guide to taking tests!

qwertysaur
01-24-2009, 02:23 AM
As some of you know, I am a part time tutor in Math, and the first two problems about 90% of the people I tutor are completely unrelated to math at all, but are instead Confidence based. I randomly decided to post what I tell my students here, hope they help you if your worried over a test.

Test Taking Tips
Everyone takes tests in their own style, and sometimes you just have to experiment until you get one that fits you. But there are a few tricks that can help anybody to take a test.

Don't over study/cram. Cramming the night before a test is probably the worst thing you can do, for a multitude of reasons, such as you sacrifice sleep to cram.
Instead of cramming, do a quick review every day for 15-30 minutes. It's easier to find the time when it's in short bursts instead of long study marathons, and you remember more as well.
Mix up your studying. Don't always study question 1 first. Keeping yourself surprised will help you learn, and you can see what you need more explanation on.
Do your homework. Homework is important, because it is actually just assigned studying.
Eat and Sleep. These two are often lost when people try and cram the night before a test. Your body needs rest and food. Never sacrifice these, they are very important.
Find your best approach to studying. It can vary from simply doing practice problems to making flashcards. Whatever helps you learn is what you should do.
Ask questions in class. If you don't understand a topic, ask for another explanation. There is probably 3 other people in the class with the same question, but they are too afraid to ask. If you feel uncomfortable asking in class, try asking after class or after the day ends.

Then comes the day of the actual test. Here is my advice for testing time.

Stay calm. Don't get worked up on the grade you will get after or the material. The calmer you are, the less likely you are to make silly mistakes. (Especially on a math test)
Go out of order. Skip questions that you don't know or blank out on, just make a reminder to go back to them after you finish reach the end. It's bad to stare at one question you can't get and get frustrated, because there are more questions you can get right later in the test.
On reading passages, look at the questions first. That way you know what to keep an eye out for when reading the actual passage.
Write on the test (unless you are not allowed to for some reason) Take notes on questions or passages, cross out incorrect choices on multiple choice, cross out used matching or fill in the blank words, etc.
If there are questions after a passage you will be writing an essay on, those questions are there to help you find details for your essay. They are never busywork.
Know how the test is graded. On most tests, you should never leave a question blank. On some, you should if you have no clue what the answer is (SAT, ACT, AP exams).
Ask questions. If you can't get what a question wants, the teacher/proctor might be able to help you if they are allowed to.

I'll add to this thread with more tips later, as well as a post about some tips to help confidence. Remember, a test is only as scary as you let it be. Also feel free to add your own tips you have for test taking, I'll add them to this post :D

I Took the Red Pill
01-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Cramming is beautiful and extremely effective most of the time.

Jiro
01-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Paying attention in class helps quite a lot I found. Unless you're naturally gifted, then I hate you. But we can still be friends :D

blackmage_nuke
01-24-2009, 10:38 AM
I believe proper breathing is the best way to stay calm.

Also i don't know if this is wise or not but don't look at the time left during the exam, just assume your always running out of time. It works for me at least. I get the rushed feeling without the definite knowledge that I'm rush so I can stay calm.

Don't get caught cheating

LunarWeaver
01-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Break into your teacher's office or classroom and look for the answers.

NeoTifa
01-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Sleeping during class and not reading the books have helped me pass many tests.... Oh wait... You want A's and not B's? Then listen to the Q-wert :P

sir helix
01-26-2009, 02:17 AM
with a real fine tipped pencil, write the answers on your finger nails.

- easy to hide
- and earasing is easy, simply make a fist and hold and slighty rub fingers in your palms hehehe

Yar
01-26-2009, 04:45 AM
First intentions are often correct! :D

sdm42393
04-25-2009, 04:39 AM
Don't get caught cheating

Oops.

Selphie Tilmitt
04-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Hello everyone,

Interesting qwertysaur , I did not know that you are a tutor .
you may feel tired sometimes , but it`s for the sake of brightening
your students future .

Instead of cramming, do a quick review every day for 15-30 minutes. It's easier to find the time when it's in short bursts instead of long study marathons, and you remember more as well.
Exactly ! 15 minutes study plan is 100% guaranteed !it helps you
during exams ,quizzes..etc, keeps your memory fresh and prevents
forgetting most of your Information .

Eat and Sleep. These two are often lost when people try and cram the night before a test. Your body needs rest and food. Never sacrifice these, they are very important.
And never ever drink Caffeine which is found in (Soft drinks,coffee,tea and energy drinks )so you’ll be able to stay awake and study all night. But then what happens? You’re sleepy and unable to concentrate during the test the next day! It’s better to start early and work until you’re tired.

Last but not least ..eat well , get organized ,sleep early .:choc:

Selphie .