PDA

View Full Version : face masks

sir helix
01-24-2009, 04:21 AM
im not trying to sound racist or any thing so dont get the wrong idea for this quetion.
last year i went an art museum and there were asin students in their and i noticed a few of them waring face masks (docter type), and then i remembered seeing a lot of other asians warinf face masks on tv and in some anime cartoons... so is there like some kind of common lung problm or what? idk this has just been in the back of my mind for some time so im just now asking.

Shoeberto
01-24-2009, 04:26 AM
In a lot of Asian countries it's considered to be good manners to wear masks like that if you have a cold or such to help prevent the spread of germs through sneezing and coughing. To me it's a pretty logical custom, saves a lot of awkwardness trying not to cough or sneeze directly around people and getting crud all over your hands.

Momiji
01-24-2009, 04:31 AM
In a lot of Asian countries it's considered to be good manners to wear masks like that if you have a cold or such to help prevent the spread of germs through sneezing and coughing. To me it's a pretty logical custom, saves a lot of awkwardness trying not to cough or sneeze directly around people and getting crud all over your hands.

What he said.

I kind of like the idea, and would do it myself if every one else did. I mean, it's effective to stop the spread of disease, but I don't wanna be the only one who looks like a total dork.

Yar
01-24-2009, 04:41 AM
It's SARS!

BTW, why is this in "The Lounge"?

blackmage_nuke
01-24-2009, 05:48 AM
im not trying to sound racist or any thing so dont get the wrong idea for this quetion.

Nobody tries to sound racist :p

I'd probably do it too but that's because I have a small fear of breathing in iron filings and wood dust. However as stated before i would look like a dork.

Big D
01-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Human breath is not only warm and moist, it's also ever-so-slightly corrosive. In short, it's horrible for paintings, paper, and other fragile media commonly used for rare, valuable, and very old artworks. Wearing a facemask around artistic treasures is not just courteous, it's downright necessary sometimes. Usually only essential if you'll be working very closely around the works, though. Restoration, that kind of thing.

As for the 'cultural practice' of face-masks in some Asian cultures - I assumed it was something to do with either disease prevention, or reducing exposure to pollution in heavily industrialised cities.

sir helix
01-24-2009, 08:18 PM
i wasnt sure were to put this.

Depression Moon
01-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Yeah, but it's not anything to do with media so it would be general. I can probably agree with what Big D said.

Big D
01-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Yeah, but it's not anything to do with media so it would be general.I'd respectfully disagree!:D It's about the art gallery, after all, so The Lounge would be appropriate 'cause it's where we discuss artworks and media that aren't our own.

Depression Moon
01-24-2009, 10:44 PM
The subject isn't the art, it's the Asians wearing the masks, hence the title.

Moon Rabbits
01-24-2009, 11:02 PM
I saw these hard core goth kids wearing face masks once. They were so metal.

I've also seen teenaged asian kids wearing them as part of an outfit or something - aren't those visual kei bands into all that crazy jazz?