PDA

View Full Version : not so ridiculous claims

Yew-Yevon
01-24-2009, 08:12 PM
#1Theres been a lot of talk lately about wether the PS3 or 360 could support Crysis or to be more spesific DX10 visuals.
I have read numerous forums about how both systems could(or could not) do this.

#2The second thing I'd like to address as well is that old claim Sony made about 4D graphics.

lets start with #1. I know that PS3 uses Open-GL as its graphic diplay program and I have heard ppl saying how its much weaker
than DX10. if this were true then most of the most recent games would look pathetic compaired to earlier. However, games such as "Heavy Rain, Killzone 2,
Resistance 2, all show signs of DX10 visual quality. Even if PS3 dosn't use DX10 it wont need to, OpenGL is doing just fine. and a game using the Cryengine 2 is now in development for PS3/360 called "Merchant of Brooklyn.

For #2 let me first say that 4D graphics have existed since games like "Ghost recon" and "splintercell". Let me justify this by saying
the dimentions displayed are the folowing: Length, width, Hight, and the fourth is Depth(yes depth is an aditional dimention).

Many games on PS2 xbox PS3 and xbox360 have a sence of depth similar to a focal lense on a camra. Its one thing to have length width and hight,
but without depth to distinquish the distance between two objects a seane would look fake and thus realism would be nonexistant. So I'd just like
to say that 4D graphics is not a myth infact its been around for about five yrs now.

please feel free to discus this topic.

JKTrix
01-24-2009, 11:20 PM
DirectX, also known by its full name Microsoft DirectX, is a Microsoft product for Microsoft operating systems on computers. Consoles will not use it. Notions such as 'DX10 quality graphics' are quite pointless when not talking about computers.

By nature, Computers are upgradeable. When we reach the limits of one set of hardware/software, you just change some parts and you can go further. Consoles currently don't have that ability, and when they reach a certain limit, that's it.

Also the 4th dimension is 'Time'. Check this article (http://www.psu.com/4D-Graphics--A-Reality-Only-For-PlayStation-3--a0001063-p0.php).

Moon Rabbits
01-24-2009, 11:27 PM
Length, width, Hight, and the fourth is Depth(yes depth is an aditional dimention).

What. The third dimension is depth.

I don't dig this whole "the fourth dimension is time." Aren't "dimensions" defined by how many points it requires to plot a point in that dimension?

Actually, I know I'm right. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimension)

JKTrix
01-24-2009, 11:37 PM
The whole idea of 'the 4th dimension' is abstract. This is getting into spacetime (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime) continuum and all this junk that has almost *nothing* to do with video games. Sony says a lot of crazy things. I was trying to humour him.

Also, in the very link you post, it mentions the idea of Time being the 4th dimension.

Markus. D
01-24-2009, 11:48 PM
I thought 4d was an advanced term from Star Ocean 3... ._.;

Darkswordofchaos
01-25-2009, 12:47 AM
Also the 4th dimension is 'Time'. Check this article (http://www.psu.com/4D-Graphics--A-Reality-Only-For-PlayStation-3--a0001063-p0.php).

Thats some pretty interesting stuff, and it further proves PS3 is way better that the crapbox360

ljkkjlcm9
01-25-2009, 12:51 AM
time doesn't exist, how can it be the 4th dimension?

THE JACKEL

Darkswordofchaos
01-25-2009, 12:55 AM
time doesn't exist, how can it be the 4th dimension?

THE JACKAL

Not time like 6:00 o clock but time like how much somthing is aging with is relative to how close to the speed of light its traviling

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-25-2009, 05:03 AM
As far as I know, technology wise, the PS3 is more powerful which makes sense since it come out after the 360 (not that it guarantees it being more powerful but more like that it would be). So if either console had a chance, it'd be the PS3. *shrugs*

Moon Rabbits
01-25-2009, 06:38 AM
Also, in the very link you post, it mentions the idea of Time being the 4th dimension.

That's all spacetime and crap, not actual like ... dimensions. I dunno, I don't buy it~

Rase
01-25-2009, 05:39 PM
I don't particularly care if my games are 2D, 3D, 4D, 10D, Double-D, whatever, as long as they are enjoyable.

demondude
01-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Double-D is best.

Vyk
02-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Scientifically, the fourth dimension is an idea. The literal sense that the fourth dimension might be dimension X is a sci-fi interpretation. Time itself is not the fourth dimension. The fourth dimension is a point in space at a certain time if my memory is correct without checking with the links provided. Not that any of it has anything to do with video games

The way I understood the 360's graphics platform vs the PS3's is that 360 is based on DX, which is a minimum common denominator in computer gaming. Which makes it easier to program for since its grounded by the standards instead of setting the standards like the PS3's platform is trying to do. PS3 has more potential but its harder to achieve. Or... something like that

No clue if either are capable of doing the Crysis thing 'cause I don't know anything about the Crysis games

Slothy
02-05-2009, 10:43 PM
DirectX, also known by its full name Microsoft DirectX, is a Microsoft product for Microsoft operating systems on computers. Consoles will not use it. Notions such as 'DX10 quality graphics' are quite pointless when not talking about computers.

The 360 doesn't use DirectX per se, but it's graphics libraries are based on it.

Also, I'm sure consoles probably could support Crysis if they had bothered to optimize the game before releasing it. Some effects may not transfer over exactly and may need to be toned down, but it could probably be run to an extent that most people wouldn't even notice most of the differences.