PDA

View Full Version : Best Guide (book form) V1 or V2?

Duncan1234
01-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Well, I just recently bought FF7 on ebay for 20 pound, original and not platinum edition. Surprised I got it so cheap, no manual though.

I used to have FF1-9 except 3 for the PS1 but sold them a good couple years ago for £300 with the official guides for most of them. I regret that VERY VERY much.

Although ive played through it completely before and done pretty much everything and would most definitely call myself a master (I can remember off the top of my head the exact steps for a gold chocobo :D), I still want to get myself a guide to make sure I dont miss anything at all and want to do a perfect play through.

Ive been looking on amazon and the like and their appears to be two versions of the official guide V1 and V2. Since Im guessing a good lot of you will have a guide thought Id ask before buying. Whats the differences? Obviously V2 should be better but in the world of FF guides ive learnt in the past that slight changes can result in bad things!

Thanks for any opinions

Darkswordofchaos
01-28-2009, 12:31 AM
I've got the brady games guide not sure what version it is but ive discoverd i know more about FF7 that it does I've id'd sevral mistakes so its prolly the version 1

Saber
01-28-2009, 01:04 AM
I made a walkthrough although its not the best. Walkthrough (http://ffviiguide.freewebpage.org/) Also I never heard of there being two versions. Are they both brandy games?

The Turk
01-28-2009, 11:34 PM
The Brady guide is infamous for mistakes and typos. It lists W-Magic, W-Summon and W-Item as X-Magic/Summon/Item instead. It also includes information that is completely wrong. I think the Brady Guide says you get the Final Attack Materia from the Chocobo Square which is obviously incorrect.

It also completely fails to mention things like the Item Duplication trick you can do in the Crater (not to confused with the W-Item glitch). Also if I recall correctly one of the guides advisers the player to use the Save Crystal on the screen where you have to send some of your party to the left and some of your party to the right- this is terrible advice as saving the game there can cause an infamous glitch that doesn't allow you to leave the Crater, which sucks.

I'm not too sure the guide mentions that the Dragon Zombies in the Crater only cast the Enemy Skill Pandora's Box once, and only once, in the entire game which would be great advice as you only get one chance to learn that Enemy Skill.

I used to own the PC FF VII guide. It was fun and presented very well, but the people who made it obviously weren't given much time to write it so there are a few mistakes. The best guide I ever read for the game is by someone called 'Absolute Steve'. It's perfect.

BG-57
01-29-2009, 02:55 AM
I got the strat guide that came around the time that the game did. It sounds like the version the Turk is talking about. It completely misses some things, like how to get some of the unique weapons when you return to the Shin-Ra tower.

Then again, the original FFVI guide (back when it was called FFIII) had similar problems.

You can get anything that they missed online, but that defeats the purpose of having the guide, as witnessed by FFIX's.

The Turk
01-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Oh yeah the IX guide was disgusting. You pay all that money for the guide only to be told to go online in it. Square should be ashamed of themselves for that one.

Darkswordofchaos
01-29-2009, 05:36 PM
They best guide ive ever owned for a ff game is the one for XII its got every thing in it and tons of info. its thick as a large school book