PDA

View Full Version : For all us Pen and Paper Geeks out there

NeoCracker
01-29-2009, 08:39 AM
I give you Anima.
animarpg.com (http://www.animarpg.com/)

The Core Rule book is a bit pricy, but when thats all you need, it ends up being cheaper then getting the core books for DnD. :p

I have it, though haven't gotten a chance to run a game yet. Character creation rules are rather fun, and you truly can make some very unique characters.

So far, oddly enough, magic is the least interesting domain to me.

Psionics are interesting, though Ki is where its at.

Feel free to ask questions about the game, discuss your thoughts, and anything else related to anime your little hearts can conjure up. :p

Markus. D
01-29-2009, 10:22 AM
It's like they sunk into my dreams.

And created the perfect art.

Is it fun?

and like, would someone who lacks DnD skills be able to play?

Edit: Oh wow it's a game! I'm getting it, I don't care what it's about, I'm getting it.

Editedit: It's not a game! I just thought it was! Still look fun though! what ees it?

NeoCracker
01-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Well, it IS a game. Its a Pen and Paper RPG, though theres a card game too. :p

And of me and a few friends, the guy with the least DnD experience picked up on some of the rules faster. XD

But as I said, its a pen and paper RPG, though unlike DnD, which has a set of classes with pre-set abilitities per level and such, different abilities and skills cost different things for different classes.

Though certain classes do get specialized bonuses, like the Fighter getting a bonus 5 per level to his block, attack, and use armor abilities.

For a wizard, most magic related abilities are a lot cheaper to purchase. For example, it takes 50DP per MA multiple. A Warlock, a wizard/fighter hybrid, takes 60DP, and 70 for all the non Mystic Archetypses.

Of course attack, block, and dodge skills are all cheaper for your fighter types, as well as wear armor.

Skill costs depend on the class.

A few other boosts varry depending on class as well, such as HP gain, innate Psionic points, and Initiative, as well as skills in some cases.

(DP is essentially the core for character developement. :p)

Markus. D
01-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Darn it! I for some reason can't get into Pen and Paper RPGs (Even text based browser games)... even though they always host the customization I long for~... I do have friends who could totally make use of this information though :D

Tasura
01-29-2009, 12:29 PM
This intrigues me greatly, unfortunately I know very few people who'd be interested in playing, though I might pick up the book anyway, since I seem to have a collection going.

Edit: My seafaring ways have found me this book, now to being reading it because campus is closed until 1pm.

Magixion
01-29-2009, 03:06 PM
A few of my friends actually just picked the rule book up and are learning to play right now. I do not have the most experience when it comes to pen and paper games, but I have played enough to get the gist of it. I must admit, though, the artwork for this is -fantastic-. I hear that the rules can be a bit hard to pick up, but that it is definitely a good engine to run games on. I may try it out with my friends see how it is.

Tasura
01-29-2009, 05:50 PM
It runs on a d100 system, anything that runs on d100 is either going to be pure win, or break everyone's brain in half with ease.

JKTrix
01-30-2009, 01:22 AM
One of my first real online experiences was participating in a Dragon Ball Z RPG (back in the late 90's), which I later on helped to run. That's where my original alias, Jedi_Kakarott, the JK in JKTrix comes from. I've dabbled in DnD and BESM with some people, both in real life and online, though they never seemed to hold for very long since the GMs lost interest. In one spectacular case, I was participating in a game with friends in Australia and Japan, but the GM *died*. Yikes.

I don't know if I have the will to delve too deep into this, but I am pretty blown away by some of the stuff they have in here. The Nephilim races each have a dedicated *essay* describing their origin and mannerisms, as opposed to most other games I've seen where the race descriptions are a few sentences at most. The level of attention to detail, plus the smattering of attractive art make this a very impressive product.

Markus. D
01-30-2009, 03:47 PM
I might purchase the card game.

It seems alot more understandable, and well... it's non-collectable, which is awesome.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-31-2009, 02:39 PM
I haven't had much of a chance to investigate it, the card game is a bit complex from our experience (a single game took pretty long to complete) and I hear the tabletop system has some issues.

Tasura
02-01-2009, 02:25 AM
what tabletop system doesn't have issues?

Araciel
02-01-2009, 04:39 PM
what tabletop system doesn't have issues?

Rock Paper Scissors.

I think I'll stick to my non-anime games... :(

NeoCracker
02-07-2009, 07:06 AM
The only real issues that come up is its a bit vague in spots. For example what you can do with the skill "Leadership" and I've never been a fan of experience penalties (Especially since, with how their experience system works, or at least the suggested method, if you run long sessions, the penelty doesn't really count for much.)

Basically any issue with the system, however, is fixable by common sense.