PDA

View Full Version : ORGANS

Yar
01-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Does it say that you're an organ donor on your license? WHY NOT!? :mad2:

I'm an organ donor. :D What am I gonna use my parts for when I die in a horrible flaming car accident? :confused:

My dad isn't an organ donor. He's all "I don't want some weirdo using my lungs!" and it's like "well dad no one wants your lungs you big smoker..."

GOGO!

Rantz
01-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Does it say that you're an organ donor on your license? WHY NOT!? :mad2:

Mostly because I don't have a license but also because I'm not an organ donor. :roll2

I'm considering it though, I don't have much against it apart from feeling a little weird about it right now.

Rocket Edge
01-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Been one for the past few years now. I think everyone upon birth should automatically be an organ doner, it would be up to the person then to cancel it if he or she wished.

Flying Mullet
01-29-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm not an organ donor. I would like to be, but I'm selfish in the fact that if you're an organ donor they stop trying to heal you at a certain point so that your organs will still be viable for a donation.

Vermachtnis
01-29-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm an Organ Donor. I'm dead, I don't need my appendix anymore.

Psychotic
01-29-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm dead, I don't need my appendix anymore.Haha, I like this post. :greenie:

No, I'm not a donor. I wouldn't mind other people getting my organs, I've just never really thought about becoming one before. I'll look into it!

Bunny
01-29-2009, 10:26 PM
I've gone back and forth on the organ donor issue, mostly for reasons outlined in Flying Mullet's post.

Mirage
01-29-2009, 10:28 PM
I could be an organ donor. Over here, the doctors aren't even allowed to know if I am or not until I'm dead.

Yar
01-29-2009, 10:28 PM
It's so easy to become one! The lady at the BMV will ask, "would you like to be an organ donor?" and you say, "yes!" :greenie:

Gwawr
01-29-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm not, but for no particular reason. I probably should be.

Goldenboko
01-29-2009, 10:32 PM
I guess when I become a legal age to do so I'll become an organ downer.

Laddy
01-29-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm an organ donor.

Oh, Yar-Yars, how selfless!

I would be an organ donor, but I have a terrible heart and mediocre lungs at best.

My organs kinda suck. =(

Advent Child
01-29-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm not an organ donor. I would like to be, but I'm selfish in the fact that if you're an organ donor they stop trying to heal you at a certain point so that your organs will still be viable for a donation.

Really? Where do you live? That's horrible..

I'm not an organ donor out of sheer laziness up to this point, but depending on Flying Mullet's response to this post I may decide to be one.

Miriel
01-29-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm a registered organ donor, and I used to have the little pink sticker on my license that says that I am. But my friend's Mom who is a nurse told me to take it off because of exactly what Mullet is talking about.

So I'm hedging my bets by remaining in the database, but not having a visible symbol of my donor status on my license. I think if you're in the database it's supposed to be confidential.

On the flip side of things, I've heard that sometimes cops are more lenient in giving tickets if your license has the donor sticker on it. :p

kikimm
01-30-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm not an organ donor. =/ I feel like Rantzien said. No real concrete reason why I'm not one, just...eh. I don't know.

Meat Puppet
01-30-2009, 12:20 AM
I’m an organ donor in three different countries

Momiji
01-30-2009, 12:24 AM
I'm a registered organ donor, and I used to have the little pink sticker on my license that says that I am. But my friend's Mom who is a nurse told me to take it off because of exactly what Mullet is talking about.

So I'm hedging my bets by remaining in the database, but not having a visible symbol of my donor status on my license. I think if you're in the database it's supposed to be confidential.

On the flip side of things, I've heard that sometimes cops are more lenient in giving tickets if your license has the donor sticker on it. :p

I'm a registered organ donor as well, and there's a little red heart on my license. Unfortunately, I can't take it off. It's not a sticker.

Værn
01-30-2009, 02:17 AM
I'm an Organ Donor. I'm dead, I don't need my appendix anymore.

rubah
01-30-2009, 02:27 AM
The first time I got a license and got asked the question, I said no automatically and then regretted it. Luckily two years passed and I didn't die, so when I had to get it renewed, I said yes.

I like ståle's system though.

Big D
01-30-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm not an organ donor. I would like to be, but I'm selfish in the fact that if you're an organ donor they stop trying to heal you at a certain point so that your organs will still be viable for a donation.That's why I like living in the civilised world, where saving the patient's life is the very top priority rather than the marketability of their corpse.

I'm a donor, and it's vaguely comforting to know that if I'm ever munted beyond repair I might still be useful to someone.

Loony BoB
01-30-2009, 12:28 PM
I think in situations like Mulley's, they should only allow organs to be donated to other organ doners. It's horrendous that they'll let you die based on your donor-status.

Jiro
01-30-2009, 12:31 PM
I don't like the idea of being cut up, but I will probably sign up for it once I can. If I don't think about it, it's fine. I know I'll be dead, but it's still disturbing to think about.

Big D
01-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Anyone who ever gets an autopsy get "cut up" basically beyond recognition... with organ donation, the only real difference is that they don't put all the pieces back in again afterward.

blackmage_nuke
01-30-2009, 12:55 PM
I dont like the idea of bits of me hanging around in different boxes or floating in jars (I know that doesnt happen but the thought creeps me out). I would do it if i could choose to only donate certain organs. I know it sounds ridiculus but when my family is at my funeral i dont want them to be looking at a hollow stuffed shell.

Momiji
01-30-2009, 01:38 PM
While Mulley's point concerns me a bit, it's always been my desire to help people in a medical environment, and I plan to extend my career goal into that. Being an organ donor is kind of like going out with a bang, given I don't *literally* go out with a bang, and that my organs are worth using.

Loony BoB
01-30-2009, 03:51 PM
That's the one thing I'd be against, actually. I wouldn't want to be a "get out of death free" card for a smoker or an alcoholic. Is there a way to be pick-and-choose-y about this sort of thing?

Nominus Experse
01-30-2009, 03:53 PM
That's the one thing I'd be against, actually. I wouldn't want to be a "get out of death free" card for a smoker or an alcoholic. Is there a way to be pick-and-choose-y about this sort of thing?
As far as I know, it's all or nothing.

Bunny
01-30-2009, 03:56 PM

In order to be on the organ transplant list, you need to be clean of alcohol, cigarettes and drugs for a certain amount of time. They don't hand out organs to people who are resigning themselves to a possible early death and the medical field takes the organ donor list VERY seriously.

Loony BoB
01-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Ah, that's okay then. I'm not one at the moment (that I know of) but maybe I'll register someday.

Bunny
01-30-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm not sure how it is in other countries, but that's basically how they run it in the US. You could probably call up a local hospital and ask them a few questions about it just to be sure.

I think you're from Not-America but I forget sometimes.

Loony BoB
01-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I'm from NZ, in UK.

Darkswordofchaos
01-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Im an organ donor because when im dead you can have whatever you want of me im 95% sure i wont be moving back in.

but on a side note i reguraly travell down the roads in an exess of 150mph so if i wreck going that fast i imagine most of my organs will be all mushy

Flying Mullet
01-30-2009, 05:55 PM
As Bunny said, in the US, people have to prove that they will take care of any new organs they have transplanted. The medical industry knows that organs are in short supply and they want to ensure that they give them to the people that will take the best care of them and get the most use out of them. The down side of this is that older people who have been on the transplant list for a while are sometimes passed up for a younger person who has been on the list a shorter amount of time because they'll get more use, i.e. years, out of the organ. It's all a relative situation.

~*~Celes~*~
02-01-2009, 03:05 PM
I am a proud organ donor :bigsmile:

Madame Adequate
02-01-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm not an organ donor because once I'm dead I cease to exist, so my body is just an item, and it's the decision of my kin at that point. Their property, their choice.

Edit: And if you're on the list that's a definitive statement of intent, which the kin can't override AFAIK, whereas if you're not on the list there are many reasons you might not be which are not statements of intent, and there is always the option for them to donate.

Rase
02-01-2009, 07:31 PM
I would do it if i could choose to only donate certain organs. I know it sounds ridiculus but when my family is at my funeral i dont want them to be looking at a hollow stuffed shell.
I on't recall how it goes in California, but my license in Missouri has either "Any" or "Specifically" on it, so I know at least some places in the US allow you to pick and choose. Of course if you're not in the US I have no clue.

I'm marked down in the "Any" section on my MO license, and it's with the families full support, so I'm fine with that.

I Don't Need A Name
02-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Donor Kebab and proud

Balzac
02-02-2009, 12:24 AM
I don't have a lisence, so no it doesn't.

Shlup
02-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Who was telling me like yesterday that their aunt was dying because her liver is shutting down and they won't give her a new one because she's an alcoholic? I forget.

Yeah, I'm an organ donor.

Jessweeee♪
02-02-2009, 02:25 AM
I'll probably be one, maybe I won't be completely useless then xD

Rye
02-02-2009, 03:04 AM
It's doesn't say tgat on my license but it says that on my college ID so i'm confused iabout this contradiction and if that means i can donate my organs if i cannot.

Shlup
02-03-2009, 06:49 AM
AHAHAHAHA (http://www.smellybean.com/ViewPic.jsp?PicID=7293)

Freya
02-03-2009, 07:03 AM
LMAO SHLUP!

I'm a donor! If they don't try so hard to keep me alive at least they are trying hard to keep others alive. Sure it's my life but if I can help more people than just myself then that'd be ok ^_^