PDA

View Full Version : Crappy movies with good sequels

blackmage_nuke
01-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Know any?

I didnt like Escape from New York (the music was really annoying) But i really liked Escape from L.A despite it's bad reveiws.

Also I didnt think much of the first X-Men film but i really liked the second one. (Nightcrawler yay!)

Go (dont have to limit it to movies)

Darkswordofchaos
01-31-2009, 05:55 PM
The first terminator was good but the second one was way better.
also i liked the second Ace ventura movie a lot better.

Also did you know that the snake from MGS was modled after the one from escape from la, ny

sir helix
01-31-2009, 05:58 PM
boogeyman sux, but boogeyman 2 was awsome.

Darkswordofchaos
01-31-2009, 06:06 PM
boogeyman sux, but boogeyman 2 was awsome.

I havent seen the 2nd one but i thought they faild on the first one that could be the scariest movie ever just cause were all natrually afraid of the boogy man

Rocket Edge
01-31-2009, 06:23 PM
I'll go with the Terminator aswell. Everyone loves Arnie as the good guy.

charliepanayi
01-31-2009, 07:43 PM
You're entitled to think the sequel was better (I'd disagree, but it's a very good film) but if any of you think that The Terminator was a 'crappy movie' you're out of your minds.

I can't think of any poor films that had great sequels, though a few sequels surpass the original in my opinion (Toy Story 2 specifically) - but these were sequels to what were great films to start with

NeoCracker
01-31-2009, 07:49 PM
<_<
>_>
...Blade 2 was better then the first
:shifty:

arcanedude34
01-31-2009, 08:22 PM
*cracks knuckles* Advent Children was better than Final Fantasy VII.

No, no, I'm kidding.

I can't think of any, but I don't watch a lot of movies, so...

LunarWeaver
01-31-2009, 08:23 PM
I didn't like Burton's first Batman but I loved Batman Returns :jess: Where's John_912 when I need him?

Dreddz
01-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Its difficult to name good sequels that follow a crappy original. I can think of sequels better than the original film but in most cases I like the original movie as well. So Ill go with the sequels I simply prefer. I guess Dawn of the Dead is far superior to Night of the Living Dead which I think is so-so. Can't forget the Road Warrior either. Oh oh and Aliens too. Ok Ill stop now.

I didnt like Escape from New York (the music was really annoying) But i really liked Escape from L.A despite it's bad reveiws.
I'm gobsmacked that you prefer Escape from LA to Escape from New York. It pretty much copied New York in every way but managed to make it feel nothing like the original.

I didn't like Burton's first Batman but I loved Batman Returns
Can't say I disliked Burtons original Batman but Returns is in my opinion the better film. Really enjoyed Devito as the Penguin. Such an underrated movie.

PeneloRatsbane
01-31-2009, 10:24 PM
Harry potter: Prisoner of Askaban is a lot better than the first two

Bunny
01-31-2009, 10:28 PM
You're entitled to think the sequel was better (I'd disagree, but it's a very good film) but if any of you think that The Terminator was a 'crappy movie' you're out of your minds.

The Terminator franchise is pretty lame as a whole, to be honest.

eestlinc
01-31-2009, 11:02 PM
I think the original Burton Batman is much better than Batman Returns.

Empire Strikes Back is better than A New Hope. It is common for the first movie in a trilogy to be weaker than the second movie, because the first movie has to lay out too much background.

sir helix
01-31-2009, 11:30 PM
stop picking on terminator

Momiji
02-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Empire Strikes Back is better than A New Hope. It is common for the first movie in a trilogy to be weaker than the second movie, because the first movie has to lay out too much background.

I agree.

Oh, and I also agree with the Terminator comments (thought the series in general was kinda meh)

blackmage_nuke
02-01-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm gobsmacked that you prefer Escape from LA to Escape from New York. It pretty much copied New York in every way but managed to make it feel nothing like the original. Would have been

Its probably the fact that they dont feel anything like each other that I prefer Escape from LA. I couldnt get imersed into it for escape from NY and only saw it because i wanted to see Escape from LA again. I think it just didnt have the right mood for me. However Despite the number of ridiculus action scenes and similarities in LA i found it more exciting. I was actually surprised when the possible love interest was suddenly killed (i thought it might happen towards the end) unlike in NY when the resturaunt slut was just standing there and i got the feeling she wasnt going to last long.

I guess its like when someone prefers a cover of a song to the original.

Depression Moon
02-01-2009, 01:22 AM
<_<
>_>
Now that's a lie. The original Blade was good, and III was okay, a little cheesy. I didn't like The original 80's Batman movie really probably because I saw Batman Returns and Begins before it. Batman Returns is still a fantastical movie though.

The Hulk sequel was five times better than the last.

Vyk
02-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Uh I don't think the Hulk movies are related haha...

Jessweeee♪
02-05-2009, 02:34 AM
I loved The Dark Knight, but I didn't like the Batman movie that came before that one :(

akash2008
02-06-2009, 10:01 AM
the sequel was better (I'd disagree, but it's a very good film) but if any of you think that The Terminator was a 'crappy movie' you're out of your minds.

I can't think of any poor films that had great sequels, though a few sequels surpass the original in my opinion (Toy Story 2 specifically) - but these were sequel

IronOcean
02-06-2009, 04:04 PM
It is common for the first movie in a trilogy to be weaker than the second movie, because the first movie has to lay out too much background what about the matrix series?

Loony BoB
02-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Common. Not a rule ;)

Markus. D
02-06-2009, 04:50 PM
<_<
>_>

One does not choose a favorite when it comes to Blade, one embraces all as a single loved Entity~~

Psychotic
02-06-2009, 05:46 PM
I loved The Dark Knight, but I didn't like the Batman movie that came before that one :(Yeah, I was coming here to post that. I fell asleep when I was watching Batman Begins. I sort of want to give it another chance though.

Goldenboko
02-07-2009, 08:26 PM

Agreed. To be honest, I can't think of any D=

NeoCracker
02-07-2009, 08:31 PM
<_<
>_>
Now that's a lie. The original Blade was good, and III was okay, a little cheesy. I didn't like The original 80's Batman movie really probably because I saw Batman Returns and Begins before it. Batman Returns is still a fantastical movie though.

The Hulk sequel was five times better than the last.

I actually hated Blade. I thought the second one was at least decent. Third one as well. :p

charliepanayi
02-07-2009, 08:53 PM
The third Blade film is dreadful, it's basically an Apple products advert at times! XD

Ryth
02-07-2009, 09:40 PM
The Rescuers Down Under. The end.

tomothy
02-13-2009, 12:47 AM
buffy series > buffy movie
evil dead 2 > evil dead
also new rambo is better than old school ones.

NeoCracker
02-13-2009, 12:52 AM
The third Blade film is dreadful, it's basically an Apple products advert at times! XD

I enjoyed it though. XD I can admit it was crappy though. :p

YES!

buffy series > buffy movie
evil dead 2 > evil deadA
also new rambo is better than old school ones.

Army of Darkness > Evil dead 2 > Evil Dead

Bastian
02-13-2009, 12:58 AM
About Terminator. I reaaaaally liked T2 when I was a kid. And I was sorely disappointed with t3 when it came out. But I rewatched them all after becoming obsessed with the Sarah Connor Chronicles and . . . T1 is actually much better than T2 to me now.

But I actually prefer the TV show. No Arnold! Yay! Hotter John Connor. Yay!

As for other sequels that are better than their originals . . . Revenge of Madame Doubtfire. It was so hilarious seeing Robin Williams as an old English lady in the Iraq War. Priceless.

Kossage
02-13-2009, 06:04 PM

Although I don't think the first Rescuers film is crappy (Madame Medusa is freaking awesome!), I have to agree with you that TRDU is a good sequel which I actually prever over the first Rescuers film. :)

Ditto for Terminator, A New Hope and T2 and The Empire Strikes Back, although I really like T1 and ANH too. I'd even dare say that Back to the Future Part 2 is better than the first one (which is a good film too, though). :p

Bastian
02-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Harry Potter 3 was WAY better than 1 & 2.

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3 were better than 1.

And Star Wars 4 was better than 1,2, and 3.

charliepanayi
02-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3 were better than 1.

No, no, just....no. Pirates of the Caribbean is up there with The Matrix when it comes to sequels dropping the ball big time.

VorpalCyberWolf
02-15-2009, 06:45 PM
I agree with the statement on the Evil Dead series. Evil Dead was actually a pretty terrible movie, only fun to laugh at how terrible it is. Evil Dead 2 is where Sam Raimi really got the feel of what he was trying to accomplish, but Army of Darkness was the best just because Raimi and Campbell are both better suited for Comedy.

I also agree with the Escape From franchise.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, The Secret of the Ooze wins, even if everything made after that was garbage. The first film was kind of boring and seemed low quality (Everything was dark and hard to see)

Oh yeah, how would we class Star Wars as a whole, The sequels are way better than the prequels (Some would say they were crappy) but the sequels were the originals...?

Oh, I liked Kill Bill Vol. 2 Better than Vol. 1, but 1 by no means was crappy.