PDA

View Full Version : This site may harm your computer.

DK
01-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Haha Google is totally smurfed atm. I don't know what has happened to it, either an error on their end or a virus but yeah. Looking around the internet it seems it's only been happening for about 45 minutes but still. If you don't use google or haven't yet basically every single result, even searching for "google" comes up with the random malware protection on it and you can't look at anything at all.

I don't know about you but it is definitely screwing up my internet browsing 'cause that little google bar you get in firefox is probably my most used browser feature and now none of it works. So harsh :(

I don't think there is a real point for this thread other than for everyone to bitch about google failure. Maybe you can talk about some superior search engine you use, or talk about how you have been inconvenienced by this turn of events. I mean if you want or something you can turn this thread into a Star Trek discussion I don't really care. Make yourselves happy EoFF http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/sickhappy/wacky.gif

crono_logical
01-31-2009, 03:14 PM
Easy to bypass in firefox, just highlight the URL and drag it to the tab or next to it to open in a new tab, even if it's not a hyperlink :p

EDIT: aww, it's fixed now :p

demondude
01-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Phew, I thought it was just me. Yahoo! will get me through this.

Madame Adequate
01-31-2009, 03:25 PM
It was pretty major fail on Google's part tbh. And yeah I don't even realize other search engines exist most of the time :p

Tama2
01-31-2009, 03:27 PM
The terror is over.

Levian
01-31-2009, 03:38 PM
My dad should come with a This person may harm your computer label. He keeps clicking those "You've just won, click here to claim your prize" things. Well, until I told him to stop it. Then he started clicking those "you have a new message click here to read it" banners instead.

Psychotic
01-31-2009, 03:40 PM
My dad should come with a This person may harm your computer label. He keeps clicking those "You've just won, click here to claim your prize" things. Well, until I told him to stop it. Then he started clicking those "you have a new message click here to read it" banners instead.We really are twins.

.:kerrod:.
01-31-2009, 04:07 PM
My dad should come with a This person may harm your computer label. He keeps clicking those "You've just won, click here to claim your prize" things. Well, until I told him to stop it. Then he started clicking those "you have a new message click here to read it" banners instead.

hahaha, i'm sure my dad would do that too, if he could actually find how to open an internet browser :p

Bunny
01-31-2009, 04:21 PM
4chan did it.

Jessweeee♪
01-31-2009, 04:33 PM

My grandpa does that and then blames me when something is wrong with his computer. Then I do the nice thing and clear out the 400 trojans he's collected every time I visit, and he still thinks I'm messing up his computer :</>|

Leeza
01-31-2009, 05:22 PM
There are search engines other than Google? :)

Kidding. But I would like people to give a list of other search engines that they use. I'm sure some of you have some that I've never even heard of that I and others might want to check out. :)

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-31-2009, 05:58 PM
I use Yahoo! Canada 99.99999% of the time!

Goldenboko
01-31-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't think there is a real point for this thread other than for everyone to bitch about google failure. Maybe you can talk about some superior search engine you use, or talk about how you have been inconvenienced by this turn of events. I mean if you want or something you can turn this thread into a Star Trek discussion I don't really care. Make yourselves happy EoFF http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/sickhappy/wacky.gif

Can we turn it into a discussion on why Leeza ends every sentence with a ":)" smile?

There are search engines other than Google? :)

Kidding. But I would like people to give a list of other search engines that they use. I'm sure some of you have some that I've never even heard of that I and others might want to check out. :)

It scares me.

Leeza
01-31-2009, 06:14 PM
I end some sentences with a :cat:. It's not always a :). If I were you though, I'd only worry I didn't end my sentences with one of those smilies. :)

rubah
01-31-2009, 06:36 PM
I really only ever use google!

I'm kinda curious what happened now, but I'm sure it will appear on slashdot with a "OMG GOOGLE IS EVIL" headline

Yar
01-31-2009, 06:56 PM
They said that Google has a partnership with a group that receives complaints and flags sites as harmful for Google. Google just decided to flag every site as harmful today! :D

Setzer the Gambler
01-31-2009, 07:31 PM
I got that this morning as well. It lasted for a while and went away.
Pretty strange, hun?

It even flagged google as potentially harmful!!!

Oh, the irony... XD

I Took the Red Pill
01-31-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm curious as to the economic backlash that resulted from this.

eestlinc
01-31-2009, 09:29 PM
time to go back to iwon.com

Cloudane
02-03-2009, 01:13 PM
First time I'd ever seen Google break.

It sort of hammered home how much we take Google for granted. I was like "what do I do now? Wait, what did we do 10+ years ago... Altavista?" Scary prospect, returning to even less relevant search results.

Apparently it caused a bit of chaos here in the UK when tax returns were due in and people were doing them last minute online. Because like 95%+ of people don't actually use the browser's address bar or even know it's there. They just type w ww.hmrc.gov.uk into Google (or their ISP's home page which usually uses Google), hit search, and then click on the result that comes up.

Loony BoB
02-03-2009, 01:19 PM
I prefer Yahoo! to Google as I find I get better results and it's a bit tidier. I use Google if I can't find what I want with Yahoo!. If I can't find anything using either of those, screw the internet. :(

Lawr
02-03-2009, 08:45 PM
I didn't notice a thing, but I don't use Google that often ( Even though it's the only search engine I use. )

My emulators and chat programs occupy me very well.

Leeza: Dogpile.com is pretty good!