PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl XLIII: Arizona Cardinals v Pittsburgh Steelers

charliepanayi
02-01-2009, 07:44 PM
So it's the Superbowl in a few hours, thought there should be a thread for it. Anyone else going to be watching it? Any predictions?

Despite Arizona's heroics so far, I'm going for Pittsburgh to win. As the cliche goes, defence wins championships. I just want to see a good game really.

Bruce Springsteen doing the half-time show :)

Tama2
02-01-2009, 07:48 PM
I want Arizona to win a Superbowl. I know it's not a good reason.

Rocket Edge
02-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Can't wait for Bruce, what a legend. Don't have a clue about either teams but I'll look at it.

Del Murder
02-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Super Bowl? I thought it was a rock concert with a football game in the intermission.

Depression Moon
02-01-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm surprised there are people here who are into sports. I thought we were all meek frail or fat nerds who were excluded from being picked in sports because of our personalites and or asthma.

I'm not really into it either, but I know my aunt will be betting money on this game. I think she's a pig Steeler's fan.

charliepanayi
02-01-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm surprised there are people here who are into sports. I thought we were all meek frail or fat nerds who were excluded from being picked in sports because of our personalites and or asthma.

Who said that I wasn't? :D - I still like sports even though I have no talent for them at all.

Laddy
02-01-2009, 09:15 PM
I hate football.

I'm watching for the commercials and Springsteen.

Tavrobel
02-01-2009, 11:29 PM

That is to say that every sports commentator or sports fan has actually played the sport before in a professional arena? Get real.

The greatest city in the world will have its revenge when that man, Kurt Warner, will be punished for preventing our escalation, not once, but twice.

Bunny
02-01-2009, 11:51 PM

Nope, just you.

I'm not watching the Super Bowl because my roommates have friends over and I hate them. No big loss. I want the Cards to win though.

I Took the Red Pill
02-02-2009, 01:22 AM
That last play before the half was glorious.

Balzac
02-02-2009, 01:31 AM
That powerslide by Springsteen was glorious.

Bunny
02-02-2009, 03:10 AM
Pretty sure that was a bogus fumble call but whatever. Grats Steelers, even though you didn't really deserve it.

Tama2
02-02-2009, 03:11 AM
Like they needed a 6th. >:[

leader of mortals
02-02-2009, 03:12 AM
Seriously his fucking arm was going forward. And 6 seconds is more than enough time to pull a hail mary out of your ass...

Tavrobel
02-02-2009, 03:18 AM
Great game, holy fucking :skull::skull::skull::skull:, great game.

90 yards of penalties on both sides, Fitzgerald with 7 TDs in the postseason, Warner with close to 400 yards, 100 yard pick six, can I get a "hell yeah?"

Hawkeye
02-02-2009, 03:41 AM
Cards won against the Steelers, lost against the referees.

Great game, but I'm a sore loser. Always next year.

Necronopticous
02-02-2009, 04:00 AM
Hey guys, I missed the game. Did someone run whilst holding a ball (football)?

Hawkeye
02-02-2009, 04:06 AM
Where is the neg rep option again?

Bunny
02-02-2009, 04:11 AM

Halfway through the game they replaced the football with a spoon and egg.

Tavrobel
02-02-2009, 04:15 AM

Halfway through the game they replaced the football with a spoon and egg.

That would explain some of those calls, though.

Momiji
02-02-2009, 04:20 AM

Nah, it was a ball (handegg). :p

Madame Adequate
02-02-2009, 04:31 AM
Hahah there were some major :skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull: calls there. I loved how in the 4th q the Cards were like "Yeah smurf it we were only kidding until now" and completely rapetrained, but sadly it wasn't enough because yeah lol. Refs.

eestlinc
02-02-2009, 04:40 AM
Cards won against the Steelers, lost against the referees.

Great game, but I'm a sore loser. Always next year.
Mike Holmgren and the Seahawks nation feels your pain on that one. What the hell was that roughing the passer call, for example? Gee, sorry I was chasing a scrambling QB, went for the tackle, and didn't actually hit him until after he threw it.

It was an amazing game. I can't believe nobody tackled James Harrison on that runback, though.

Raistlin
02-02-2009, 05:23 AM
That was definitely an incomplete pass, and it's pretty pathetic that the upstairs didn't at least call for a review. They had plenty of time to do so, what with the celebrating and Pittsburgh having to get their offense onto the field.

Kirobaito
02-02-2009, 05:38 AM
That was definitely an incomplete pass, and it's pretty pathetic that the upstairs didn't at least call for a review. They had plenty of time to do so, what with the celebrating and Pittsburgh having to get their offense onto the field.
Indeed. This has been a great game. I wonder when the last 10 seconds are gonna get played.

And yeah, they'd only have 10 seconds to go 44 yards. But I wouldn't put it past the Cards to do it. It's too bad it had to have ended like that.

Really a scar on what was a thoroughly good and entertaining game.

Del Murder
02-02-2009, 06:02 AM
It's not often that the Super Bowl was the best football game I see all season but that was a great one. Two teams you wouldn't expect to put on a great match certainly delivered. Also my dad won $250 on his football pool too because of that safety. :)

charliepanayi
02-02-2009, 09:17 AM
I thought it was a great game, that interception return was crazy and the winning touchdown was worthy of winning any game. I feel sorry for Arizona but I feel that Pittsburgh shaded it and just about deserved the win.

Two great Superbowls in a row, good stuff :)

Freya
02-02-2009, 09:28 AM
I went to a superbowl party and didn't know what team was what or even who they were, so I picked the team with the happier color :D My happy yellow team won. GO TEAM YELLOW!

Jiro
02-02-2009, 09:58 AM
There was an Australian punting for the Cardinals, therefore I chose the Cardinals. I thoroughly blame the referees for the loss, even though I have less than a basic understanding of the rules. However, I referee other sports, and know that we're always wrong :D

Raistlin
02-02-2009, 08:02 PM
The refs weren't that bad, actually. The failure to review the last play is not the fault of the officials on the field, but the upstairs. Yeah, the refs screwed up another incomplete pass call earlier in the game, but it was fixed. There was a lot of holding penalties and personal fouls, but it was a very physical game. The roughing the passer was an arguably iffy call, but not blatantly terrible (he did shove his arms out instead of just running into the quarterback). I recall one defensive holding call on an Arizona CB which I thought was bogus, but football refs are always calling iffy things on defensive backs, so eh.

It's just too bad the upstairs officials decided to call it quits early to beat the traffic home. That non-review was ridiculous.

Ouch!
02-02-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm with Raistlin on the issue with the referees, to be honest. There were a fair few penalties called, but they were called on both sides of the field. Traditionally, players tend to get away with a little more than usual in the Super Bowl just because the referees are so terrified of making controversial calls in the biggest game of the season. The only call I was somewhat perturbed by was the roughing the passer call (I thought for certain it was intentional grounding). Then again, I was at the game and I found that they were absolutely fail about showing any replays on the big screens if it was even remotely controversial (which was incredibly frustrating at certain points). That said, everyone was smacking everyone else around. Most of the holding penalties were clearly legit (the Cards really fucked themselves over on those).

I was stunned that upstairs didn't decide to review that last play, though.

Rocket Edge
02-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Great game. Definely a good advert for the game for Non-America.

escobert
02-02-2009, 08:49 PM
It was a great game however I only got to see the 4th quarter since I was working ;_;

edczxcvbnm
02-02-2009, 09:02 PM
I am with everyone in that it was a great game except for that non-reviewed call at the end of the game. Would it have made a difference for the game? I don't know. 29 yards(after the 15 year penalty they called for unsportsman like conduct) in 8-10 seconds is really a tough prospect and it probably wouldn't have happened but to deny them that in the most meaningful game of the year is just wrong and it should never happen.

daggertrepe
02-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Screw you guys, Steelers won and we are the best franchise in football. WHOO! Gotta love Pittsburgh.

And the Steelers parade--PRICELESS!