PDA

View Full Version : Piano solos

Gullick
02-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Recently I've been listening to a lot of piano music, such as Aeris's and Terra's theme and I really want to find some more.

So I've been wondering, can you guys recommened anything?

Or as a really special bonus, could any pianists here record themselves playing and post it as an attachment? =]

Thanks guys

DK
02-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Chopin

Old Manus
02-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Chopin

Cuchulainn
02-05-2009, 07:14 PM
YouTube - Maksim plays Original of Flight of the Bumble Bee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6A-JYbu1Os)

buuut Sergei Rachmaninoff was God. Better than that Polish upstart Chopin.

Darkswordofchaos
02-05-2009, 07:18 PM
theres this old rock song called locomotive breath it opens with a pretty cool piano solo

Balzac
02-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Chopin and Rachmaninov.

o_O
02-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Check out the amazing third movement of Moonlight Sonata. :p

There are also some sweet piano parts in a lot of Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment's stuff. In particular you should have a look at Dream Theater's One Last Time.

Ramza Beoulve
02-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Look for the FF piano collections.

What?

rubah
02-08-2009, 11:10 PM
gonna second rachmaninov

Gwawr
02-08-2009, 11:19 PM
It depends really on what kind of piano music you like. If you want something that is really lyrical and sets your heart on edge, go for the poetic mastery of Chopin. He was torn away from Poland during the war, and much of his music focuses on his love and grief for his homeland and it can be totally heartbreaking.

If you're looking for the dazzling and virtuosic, I'd recommend Rachmaninov certainly, but do have a look at Lizst. Lizst was a phenomonal pianist himself, and wrote music that often only he could play. His version of the prelude from Tristan und Isolde by Wagner is breathtaking.

Some people underestimate the pianistic writing of Beethoven and Mozart, and they're certainly worth a look - particularly early Beethoven or late Mozart, which were written at around the same time.

Personally though, nothing will ever beat the French masters for me. Listen to some of Debussy's famous piano works for their dreamy, otherworldly qualities. Also, Maurice Ravel was an absolute god at writing for the piano and has written some of the most beautiful piano pieces.

Aside from the classical, listening to some of the early ragtime or jazz pianists is always an education. Go searching for Joplin or Jelly Roll Morton.

Hope I was of some help.

blackmage_nuke
02-09-2009, 05:23 AM
Download midi's of any song and some composition software (I suggest Anvil Studios) and change all the instruments to piano. Sure it's not realistic but it can be pretty enjoyable

Example attatched.

nik0tine
02-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Alexander Scriabin's melodies are the most haunting you will ever hear. He was Rachmaninoffs classmate and is clearly ten times the genius. There is nobody like him before or after. Contact me on AIM and I'll send you some.

I'd record some scriabin myself if I had the ability.

Edit: Look for any preludes from his Opus 11. No 10 is incredible, as is 14. Also, his etudes are amazing. Look for Op. 8 no. 12 or Op. 42 no. 5

Markus. D
02-09-2009, 11:30 AM
YouTube - Reach For The Moon, Immortal Smoke piano cover by marasy [月まで届け、不死の煙] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIY4L2CVRoE)

Something high energy [B

Loony BoB
02-09-2009, 11:48 AM
.hack//SIGN - Before Dawn
Brahms - Lullaby (piano solo)
Enya - Watermark
Gabriel Yared & Miriam Stockley - First Last Snow
Gabriel Yared - Anthem
GS - Faraway Promise
GS - Love Grows
Legends of the Fall - Piano Theme
Romeo & Juliet Soundtrack Vol. 2 - Love Theme (Piano)
Sarah McLachlan - Last Dance
Utadu Hikaru - First Love (piano version)
Yasunori Mitsuda - Shion Emotion
Craig Armstrong - Glasgow Love Theme

Yar
02-09-2009, 11:52 AM
I can always appreciate a nice pianist. :monster:

Okay, back to your thread. :D

Gwawr
02-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Alexander Scriabin's melodies are the most haunting you will ever hear. He was Rachmaninoffs classmate and is clearly ten times the genius. There is nobody like him before or after. Contact me on AIM and I'll send you some.

I'd record some scriabin myself if I had the ability.

Edit: Look for any preludes from his Opus 11. No 10 is incredible, as is 14. Also, his etudes are amazing. Look for Op. 8 no. 12 or Op. 42 no. 5

Ah, now I'd have to disagree. I adore Scriabin, but I think the pianistsic dexterity of Rach is probably unmatched except by someone like Lizst. He does write lovely melodies though, and would probably be better suited to someone who was looking for lyricality rather than virtuosity.

Nothing I love more than healthy debate on classical music though.

nik0tine
02-10-2009, 03:49 AM
He does write lovely melodies though, and would probably be better suited to someone who was looking for lyricality rather than virtuosity.
I would definitely agree with this.

The Man
02-10-2009, 05:47 AM
Yes - Awaken isn't solo piano, but it does have a really awesome piano solo at the opening, and pretty epic use of other keyboards including a church organ.

Apart from that, gonna third/fourth/whatever Chopin.